Thread: 15 Trees Every Outdoor Lover Should Learn to Identify

15 Trees Every Outdoor Lover Should Learn to Identify

If you want to be a true outdoorsman or woman, and a true survivor, you’ve got to become a plant person.
    I know, I know—it’s not as cool to walk around with your nose in a book as it is to sling lead or light stuff on fire. But at the end of the day, plants give us so much that we’d be crazy not to pay attention to them. Some of the most helpful (and long-lived) plants are trees, and it’s our job as survivalists to learn the merits and problems with each species we encounter.
    Sure, trees all look very similar at first, but once you start to see the subtle differences,
    http://www.outdoorlife.com/15-trees-...rn-to-identify
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

A Watchman (09-26-2017),Innkeeper (09-25-2017),Ricekila (09-25-2017),RubberDuck (09-25-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 33,024 Times in 14,691 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have most of them in my backyard, or in a ten minnow walk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BucketBack For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (09-25-2017)

Don't get too close, I bite! Innkeeper's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,310 Times in 3,090 Posts
    when I was a Surveyor my partner taught me how to identify the different Trees, because many of the Larger ones are used as marker to help find the corners they are marked an written into the official descriptions. He told me he took classes at Michigan Tech to learn about trees.
    "Firearms are second only to the constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth"
    George Washington

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Innkeeper For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (09-26-2017)

Cool article. I know all of the trees but didn't know how many uses each of them have. Very handy information
    "I'm a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction"
    Kris Kristofferson
    "The American farmer is the only person who buys everything at retail, sells everything at Wholesale, an has to pay the freight both ways "
    JFK

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hag For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (09-28-2017)