Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Converting a vehicle post-SHTF

Occasionally Replies Back
    Thanks
    I'm not bothering about motorised transport POST SHTF, its most likely that all supplies of petrol and diesel will either be used up or unobtainable due to lack of electricity. I'm keeping a stock of some petrol which may last me if rationed for 4 or 5 months, but long term I'm looking at a pony or donkey cart.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by big paul View Post
    I'm not bothering about motorised transport POST SHTF, its most likely that all supplies of petrol and diesel will either be used up or unobtainable due to lack of electricity. I'm keeping a stock of some petrol which may last me if rationed for 4 or 5 months, but long term I'm looking at a pony or donkey cart.
    If the horses and donkeys aren't all eaten due to people trying to survive the famine I think they will be the number 1 transportation here in America.

Thanks
    most people in the UK haven't the faintest idea where their food comes from and don't really care, they don't even know what animal their eating most of the time. however we recently had the "horsemeat scandal" in the UK and I somehow doubt that many people will be eating horsemeat let alone donkey meat anytime soon.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by big paul View Post
    most people in the UK haven't the faintest idea where their food comes from and don't really care, they don't even know what animal their eating most of the time. however we recently had the "horsemeat scandal" in the UK and I somehow doubt that many people will be eating horsemeat let alone donkey meat anytime soon.
    I heard about that. Wasn't it a frozen lasagna company? Anyways I hope your right about people not eating up all the horses. I think it will be a mental block like eating cats and dogs. on the other hand, starving people will eat just about anything.

Thanks
    it was mostly in burgers I think. I don't think the British have the mental capacity to eat horse..its sort of a cultural thing, it wouldn't bother me but I think it does most people here.

Thanks
    i would like to have an ATV of some sort...or horses.

Occasionally Replies Back Smokin04's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Not difficult to do OP, but just expensive and time consuming.

Carb'd engine and mechanical everything.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - Plato

"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all"- Gen. James Mattis (Forcefully retired by Obama)

Daily Abuser
    Thanks
    I think the breaking point on year models that can be converted easily is when you reach a point in the newer models where the transmission and things other than the engine/fuel/spark delivery are controlled by the vehicles computer. For example I have a 1989 Chevy P/U that's a stick shift and the only thing the computer controls is fuel/air/spark delivery which would make it easy to convert back to the old school carb, mechanical fuel pump and HIE distributor. In fact now that I no longer have to smog it...it just might end up going back that way when its time to rebuild the engine that has about 160K on it!

Don't get too close, I bite! Innkeeper's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,310 Times in 3,090 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    I heard about that. Wasn't it a frozen lasagna company? Anyways I hope your right about people not eating up all the horses. I think it will be a mental block like eating cats and dogs. on the other hand, starving people will eat just about anything.
    I had dog a few times in Korea, it is really not that bad, and I know they ate cat as well I saw it down in some of their markets when I went down there to see the sites either with my gf, or one of the Katusa's we hung out with. I agree about the mental block, do not get me wrong I am not going to eat my Lab she is invaluable for bird hunting, but animals will run wild when their owners are dead or gone, and that makes them fair game especially when they might come after you or your kids.(well not the cats at least)

Little Miss Chatterbox
    Thanks
    The computerized transmissions are easy to convert to manual shift. You just have to make a switch setup to ground the appropriate solenoids and by-pass the computer which does the same thing.
    ==============================
    live, work, love and be all you are meant to be.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast