Thread: 1911 Government STEEL review. NOT FOR FANBOYS!

Hybrid View

Zealot

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,615 Times in 1,621 Posts
    Anybody that thinks a full size 1911 is "shockingly heavy" is obviously an out of shape couch potato gunstore commando.
    Suck it up, buttercup. Drop and give me 50.
    I own 4 - two Colts, a Rock Island Armory, and a Taurus.
    In fact, other than those, the only auto pistols I own are a Colt Model 1903, a Walther P-1 (post war P-38) and a Ruger MkIII.
    If someone GAVE me a Glock, I'd sell it and buy a used S&W or Colt revolver. Or two.
    Kill A Commie For Mommy

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rice paddy daddy For This Useful Post:

Imaexpat2 (08-06-2014),Infidel (08-05-2014),Innkeeper (08-05-2014),Mister Mills (06-08-2017)

Don't get too close, I bite! Innkeeper's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 7,310 Times in 3,090 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Anybody that thinks a full size 1911 is "shockingly heavy" is obviously an out of shape couch potato gunstore commando.
    Suck it up, buttercup. Drop and give me 50.
    I own 4 - two Colts, a Rock Island Armory, and a Taurus.
    In fact, other than those, the only auto pistols I own are a Colt Model 1903, a Walther P-1 (post war P-38) and a Ruger MkIII.
    If someone GAVE me a Glock, I'd sell it and buy a used S&W or Colt revolver. Or two.
    How do you like the Rock Island Armory 1911? I have been looking at one, but I am still going to keep my 2 Glocks, and my 2 S&W's, I am looking at the RI next and or another S&W but this one will be a GP100 revolver.

I never thought the 1911 was heavy I carried one as an issue in the Army and hated giving it up for the M9, saddest day of my career.
    Last edited by Innkeeper; 08-05-2014 at 05:33 PM. Reason: bad grammer

Zealot

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    My RIA is a plain-jane GI standard model. No frills, not tactical in any way. It is solid and dependable. I have no qualms whatsoever in recommending it to someone who wants a good 1911A1.
    I have no experience with their advanced models, I am of the belief that John Moses Browning's original design should not be messed with.
    It compares well with my Colts, but most likely would not last a hundred years like they will.
    Kill A Commie For Mommy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rice paddy daddy For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (08-06-2014)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    My RIA is a plain-jane GI standard model. No frills, not tactical in any way. It is solid and dependable. I have no qualms whatsoever in recommending it to someone who wants a good 1911A1.
    I have no experience with their advanced models, I am of the belief that John Moses Browning's original design should not be messed with.
    It compares well with my Colts, but most likely would not last a hundred years like they will.
    Thanks I was actually looking at the no frills model, I like the original look just like the one I carried in service.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Innkeeper For This Useful Post:

rice paddy daddy (08-06-2014)

Zealot

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Innkeeper View Post
    Thanks I was actually looking at the no frills model, I like the original look just like the one I carried in service.
    Like any 1911 its weak point is cheap magazines. Those $7.99 magazines should be avoided at all costs.
    I got my RIA back in '06 and it came with two Novak magazines, which are high quality. Chip McCormick makes good mags also.
    I have not tried to interchange Colt parts into the RIA to see how true to the original it is, one of these days I'll get around to it.
    At night when retiring for the evening, I open the nightstand drawer and place a pistol on top. Some nights it is the RIA, some nights it is a S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece 38 Special. I would bet my life on either one.
    Kill A Commie For Mommy

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rice paddy daddy For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (08-07-2014),Mister Mills (06-08-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Like any 1911 its weak point is cheap magazines. Those $7.99 magazines should be avoided at all costs.
    I got my RIA back in '06 and it came with two Novak magazines, which are high quality. Chip McCormick makes good mags also.
    I have not tried to interchange Colt parts into the RIA to see how true to the original it is, one of these days I'll get around to it.
    At night when retiring for the evening, I open the nightstand drawer and place a pistol on top. Some nights it is the RIA, some nights it is a S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece 38 Special. I would bet my life on either one.
    I will be ordering mine now, but I think I shall wait a week and see if I get that job in Jays Gun Department now, I have to take them my class schedule for college. This job is going to be bad for my wallet luckily they pay me too. lol

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Innkeeper For This Useful Post:

rice paddy daddy (08-07-2014)

Zealot

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Innkeeper View Post
    I will be ordering mine now, but I think I shall wait a week and see if I get that job in Jays Gun Department now, I have to take them my class schedule for college. This job is going to be bad for my wallet luckily they pay me too. lol
    Oooooo! Employee discount!!!!!
    In '06 I paid $399 + tax + call in for my RIA. I don't know what they go for now. Now that the Treasury has printed so much money out of thin air.
    You will like your pistol, but like any 1911 it will take 200 - 300 rounds to break in and loosen up a little. I have only fired FMJ and Winchester Silver Tip HP's out of mine but both feed well.
    Kill A Commie For Mommy

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rice paddy daddy For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (08-07-2014)