Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "If I'm not here" binder

Ranks Showcase

Thanks

"If I'm not here" binder

It always seems like something goes wrong at home the minute my flight lands at ...country x. I've consoled a wife who got stung on the ass by wasps while I was in the French Alps, I walked her through a toilet flapper replacement from Buenos Aires, and had to change brakes as soon as I got back from London......the list literally goes on and on. We laugh about it now every time I pack.

But - similar to a book by Franklin Horton (Narr: Kevin Pierce)(an EMP book), I have slowly began to amass an "if I'm not here" binder, with pics, manuals, lists.... you name it. I'll only share my outline because I haven't sanitized the main body. But I will also share what someone shared with me back (attached) on the other forum- the "sinking ship forum." It's more/less anonymous.

Here's my very initial and very basic outline. I'd really like to share the entire thing, but I can't in its current form. Each of these sections is expanded greatly. I've added numerous pictures and appendices, to include an edible plant book etc. It is quite reflective of what I have learned from many sources.

Wifey is kinda on board. Accepts the idea of preparedness. This binder is kid glove instructions for her. Harvey scared the livin' shit out of her and she was made a little more aware of some of the steps that I have taken to insure my family's well-being.

Anyone else have a similar binder? Care to share tidbits?

Boss just walked into my office yesterday. Leave for London, then Milan the week after next. whooohoo.

• Basics
    o Go Bags
     Contents
     SAFE COMBINATIONS
    • Scenarios:
    o Loss of Power or Large scale Civil Unrest Emergency (EMP, Hurricane, War)- Actions to be taken
    o Pandemic – Actions to be taken
    o Tornado- Actions to be taken
    o Flood- Actions to be taken
    • Details on Essentials
    o Water sourcing
    o Water purification
    o Utilities/ Power loss checklist/Power restoration checklist
    o Heating options
    o Cooling Options
    o Lighting options
    o Lighting Disciple
    o Food sourcing
     Frozen
     Refrigerated
     Canned
     Long term Storage
     Freeze Dried
     MREs
    o Cooking options
    o Sanitation
    o Medical
     Antibiotics
     Sutures
     FAK

o Home Fortification/Emergency repairs
    o Communications
    o Fuels on Hand
    o GrayMan
     Don’t be first, don’t be last, don’t be noticed
    o Security
     Firearms
     Ammo
    o Sleeping arrangements
    o Bug-out staging
    o Hiding Preps
    • Action plans- Leave (“bug out”)
    • Action plans- Stay (“bug in”)

1 week emergency meal plans

Recipes

Pictorial “how to” guides
    Rocket stove
    Berkey Filter
    Starting a generator
    etc etc etc...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by RockDoc; 01-12-2018 at 09:58 PM. Reason: clarifications and stuffs
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
    -Twain

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RockDoc For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (01-13-2018),Kfilly (03-10-2018),MI.oldguy (01-14-2018),Ricekila (01-13-2018),Slippy (01-14-2018),Walter Tyler (01-12-2018)

When the restaurant was open we had a small manual my wife referred to as "The God Book." It contained all kinds of info on operations and maintenance.
    At home now, she pretty much knows how to run everything here, even if we lose power for days she knows how to operate back up systems or shift to off grid type living.
    But, I think k the idea is wonderful, and maybe we should put so.ething together for the kids in case something happens to the two of us.
    I fear the nation I loved may be gone. The best I hope for now is to die with honor in the coming civil war, and that my grandchildren be spared the pain of a tyrannical government.

News Flash: Statistics show the last time Blacks had a 100% employment rate was 1863

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Coastie dad For This Useful Post:

Ricekila (01-13-2018),RockDoc (01-13-2018),Walter Tyler (01-15-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,330 Times in 5,120 Posts
    Hi RockDoc, great share, thanks!

Having been widowed once, I know the possibility of suddenly being up here, alone. (We're very remote, off-grid). I know how the mechanicals etc function & can repair them... my challenge will be whether or not I'm physically able to do some of the things Tom does (we're in our 60s)...but if I take my time, and rig levers/pulleys lol - I think all will be well. Matter of fact, I have a few things stashed for that possibility: different ways of doing something than he has set up now - all in hopes I never have to use them...or we might use them when we're both too old to chop wood - if ya know what I mean.
    Now deferring to the judgement of horses ~ because Truth comes in 30 round bursts.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

MI.oldguy (01-14-2018),Ricekila (01-13-2018),RockDoc (01-13-2018)

Wait...ropes, levers, and pulleys when you get too old to "chop wood?"

Aaahhhhh hell........
    I fear the nation I loved may be gone. The best I hope for now is to die with honor in the coming civil war, and that my grandchildren be spared the pain of a tyrannical government.

News Flash: Statistics show the last time Blacks had a 100% employment rate was 1863

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Coastie dad For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (01-13-2018),Ricekila (01-13-2018),RockDoc (01-13-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastie dad View Post
    Wait...ropes, levers, and pulleys when you get too old to "chop wood?"

Aaahhhhh hell........
    what?
    Now deferring to the judgement of horses ~ because Truth comes in 30 round bursts.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Ricekila (01-13-2018),RockDoc (01-13-2018)

Gambit will explain the uses of ropes, levers, and pulleys when a couple before.es too old to "chop wood."

I am too gentlemanly to discuss it.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Coastie dad For This Useful Post:

MI.oldguy (01-14-2018),MountainGirl (01-13-2018),Ricekila (01-13-2018),RockDoc (01-13-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    lol Yeah I guess, but I dont see us gettin to old for that

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Ricekila (01-13-2018),RockDoc (01-13-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,450 Times in 2,487 Posts
    Rockdoc.... I have used them all my adult life, in the military (we refer to them as SOP's or other names like hand-over packets), but I have yet to really put together something for my wife and kids. I too Travel a lot, so I will take your post to heart and start working on that...Good Post.

Cause Lord knows Mrs. OSFG can't tell a pair of pliers from a crescent wrench, but she can tell me what to do.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OSFG For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (01-16-2018),Ricekila (01-13-2018),RockDoc (01-13-2018),Toefoot (01-15-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Right.

Mine knows we have a few generators but, would never know how to start. Or hook the one up to propane. I'm starting some step by step tutorials to show.

Like a rocket stove from bricks, some images of similar set ups.......and maybe as important - why a rocket stove over a big fire in the fire pit. So adding some rationale of "why" along with the "what."
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
    -Twain

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RockDoc For This Useful Post:

OSFG (01-14-2018),Walter Tyler (01-15-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OSFG View Post
    Rockdoc.... I have used them all my adult life, in the military (we refer to them as SOP's or other names like hand-over packets), but I have yet to really put together something for my wife and kids. I too Travel a lot, so I will take your post to heart and start working on that...Good Post.

Cause Lord knows Mrs. OSFG can't tell a pair of pliers from a crescent wrench, but she can tell me what to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Right.

Mine knows we have a few generators but, would never know how to start. Or hook the one up to propane. I'm starting some step by step tutorials to show.

Like a rocket stove from bricks, some images of similar set ups.......and maybe as important - why a rocket stove over a big fire in the fire pit. So adding some rationale of "why" along with the "what."
    That's great, guys - and can I make a suggestion, from a woman's perspective?

The tutorials are great reminders, for if/when the situation is a bit intense, but hands-on learning is better.

I'd never hooked up a propane tank. Seen it done a couple times decades ago, but that was it. First time up here, I watched Tom. Next two times, I changed it with him standing right there. Now, I can do it unafraid. (I have a very healthy respect for things that can go boom.) I could have had the best detailed how-to manual in the world...and without that hands on first - I would have have never tried to do it. Period. Let me know if you need other examples.

If I might suggest - next time you're home, go blow out the pilot light on the HW tank. Let her watch you light it, then blow it out. Then stand and teach her, with her doing it. Then blow it out again, then she lights it with you standing silent. Then, when it goes out while you're not there - your most awesome tutorials will remind her how to do what she's already done a few times. Knowledge is one thing, confidence another. You can give her both.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

OSFG (01-14-2018),RockDoc (01-13-2018),Slippy (01-14-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast