PDA

View Full Version : What Happens When You Eat Nothing but MREs

hawgrider
11-22-2017, 12:19 PM
Ah, MREs. Meals Rejected by Ethiopians. Meals Rejected by the Enemy. Meals Rejected by Everyone. It actually stands for Meals, Ready to Eat, which has been described as “Three lies for the price of one” – it’s not a meal, it’s not ready and you can’t eat it.

Of course, soldiers love to complain about their rations, and the truth is that MREs aren’t too bad. Some of the menu items are real horrors, but most are reasonably edible and nothing’s as bad as the old C-Ration ham and lima beans. There’s plenty of energy in MREs, too. Overall they’re a pretty good combat ration.

The same things that make them a good combat ration also make them popular with preppers. MREs are sturdy, energy-dense, can be eaten without preparation and have a long shelf life. If you’re looking for an emergency food reserve they’re an obvious choice. However, http://www.askaprepper.com/happens-eat-nothing-mres/

Ricekila
11-22-2017, 12:49 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/Smillies/f2e8354d.gif

BucketBack
11-22-2017, 03:47 PM
Don't remember ever eating a MRE, but a few are MIA.
But a couple 3 of these and who knows?https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/03083b2b-b7c8-441b-a53c-fa20c7511031_1.40f4c17d06b84d2211c724913f618ae2.jp eg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

Dwight55
11-22-2017, 09:43 PM
I ate everything offered to me from Australia to Alaska, . . . almost Cambodia (up the river in Vietnam) to Wash DC, . . . Army, Navy, Air Force, . . . C rats, K rats, B rats, . . . maybe even REAL rats.

Loved the "monkey meat" on the sticks in Olongapo, . . . beep steak an sahlad on the economy, . . . as well as fresh baked french bread, . . . local bananas, . . . or eating out of the community bowl in a downtown Vietnam version of a buffet.

Never really had a problem with much of any of it, . . . but I only tried the ham and limas once, . . . and that was twice too many.

I was fortunate, . . . lots of guys around me didn't have the constitution the Good Lord gave this ol' redneck.

May God bless,
Dwight

Innkeeper
11-23-2017, 01:26 AM
Hey I have good ones and bad, and learned ways to add to those meals and make them better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MI.oldguy
11-23-2017, 10:33 AM
We had some of the first ones in the early 80's....I could have done better in a dumpster full of garbage.

Innkeeper
11-23-2017, 11:47 AM
We had some of the first ones in the early 80's....I could have done better in a dumpster full of garbage.

Yeah I remember the dehydrated beef and pork patties as a whole they sucked, but over in Korea in the late 80’s we would break them up and add them to ramen noodles, then when it was done cooking you add some of the cheese pack and it was not bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OSFG
11-23-2017, 09:16 PM
With enough Hot sauce...you don't notice bad meals...just really hot ones. My dreaded enemy was the Tuna with Noodle. I got one that hd opened inside the main MRE back.... That smell puffed out at me as soon as I cut the bag open and I threw up and could never eat those damn noodles again. CHicken Ala King was the bomb with lots of Hot sauce and Cheese. Beef patty with saved ketchup packets. And those damn bars of compressed saw dust they called oatmeal cookies. Like a bad version of Elfin bread. One bite will dehydrate you for two days. The hot dog links sucked but not as bad as the Tuna with Noodle.

I loved the LRP meals. Chili con Carnie, Spaghetti, Beef Stroganoff.

Frickin Humanitarian meals are just a bunch of beans and grains like Wild Pilaf.... as tastless as a joke about Hellen Keller.

MI.oldguy
11-24-2017, 09:57 AM
Diced turkey with gravy wasn't too bad.mash in the potato patty and heat properly,seems like the gravy was made by mama congeelyoni we used to say.
put the jelly on the maplenut bar and then you had something.

OSFG
11-24-2017, 10:27 PM
Diced turkey with gravy wasn't too bad.mash in the potato patty and heat properly,seems like the gravy was made by mama congeelyoni we used to say.
put the jelly on the maplenut bar and then you had something.

Almost forgot that one..It was a great menu.

But word to the wise...Eating nothing but MRE's for more than a couple weeks will absolutely ruin any thoughts of superiority...(i.e. your shit don't stink!!!) cause after that...you yourself will begin to notice exactly how bad it does. And God help your significant other to maintain love in their hear for you after enduring your nasty ass odor.