PDA

View Full Version : Mousetrap perimeter alarm

Arklatex
08-03-2014, 11:17 AM
Not a bad idea... cheap, easy and effective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90AzZWoX0pU

Arklatex
08-03-2014, 11:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VsRqxoEhwY

Ordnance21
08-04-2014, 02:12 PM
Nice Vids. makes you think

omegabrock
08-04-2014, 03:27 PM
they are both simple and effective as long as you can keep wild animals from hitting them. i think the first one could use a little modifications. maybe making it higher and blocking the light on all sides except for the one pointing in your direction. if you plan on being at a centralized location. i mean, no reason to have it glaring away from you, plus if someone hit it and sees the chem light, their first reaction would be to take it down or conceal it. maybe pair it with an audible to distract from the light and also give that immediate alarm in case you arent observing the moment it's tripped. plus, the lower to the ground the actual light is, the easier it would be to hide it or take it down. if it's out of reach or hard to get to, along with being covered on most sides, it would be harder to find and if someone would take the time to try and find it or even take it down it would make them a sitting duck.

OSFG
08-04-2014, 04:42 PM
The same idea can be used in a variety of ways. Using a small power source such as a battery and either light bulbs (flashlight) or even small buzzers or even horns can be connected to trip wires. We used them (trip wires) in the military to detonate claymore mines and other devices also as early warning. One simple method is to create a circuit using a clothes pin and place a non conductive material between the clothes pis sections that have contacts on each side. connected to a trip wire : Like so 679

were the wires leads back to your hide location where the light/buzzer and power source are located, so that a) you do not alert the approaching person that you are there and alerted, and b) prevent them from immediately taking an evasive posture making it harder to locate them. These can also be set up to conduct other nastiness as I mention above, however I will not offer nor encourage anyone to make or use an explosive device. My application was withing regulation while in the service. It can also be rigged to turn on bright flood lights to immediately shine a blinding light, but I would only do that if I had a substantial guard force and a lack of night vision and a desire to shoot them immediately. A reel of wd-1 wire (2 strand wire) in 1/4 mile reels are fairly inexpensive ($140-ish) and can be bought at Military surplus stores and DRMO auctions and used as the electrical supply lines out to your various trip wire locations.

A deviation to this is to use a mouse trap in a similar fashion where the trip wire is holding the springing bar away from the board in the spring loaded position so that if either the string/ trip wire (I would use thread or light fishing string) is broken by stepping through it, or intentionally cut, the circuit still completes because the spring trap snaps closed either way.

This same wire (WD-1) is used to run field telephone communications using TA-1's and 312's (back in the day). It can also be used with your older telephones and a 9 volt battery (maybe 12V distance dependent) to enable comms between two or more of them for non RF comms over short distances several hundred yards. I may post something on that at a different time.

Arklatex
08-04-2014, 08:54 PM
Good posts guys. There are a million ways to rig something like this up your own way. Just throwing it out there that a perimeter security alarm doesn't have to be high tech or expensive.

OSFG
08-04-2014, 09:10 PM
Spot on Arkaltex, SPot on.... I've done them for less than 10 dollars.

Deebo
08-04-2014, 09:20 PM
I have some mouse traps, with paneling nails and the red ring caps from capguns.
I also have the dollartree door and window alarms, I will try and dig them out, to show Yall, but they are simple and effective.
Great post.

Pauls
08-05-2014, 03:18 PM
The clothespin contacts can be wired to anything from an audible alarm to lights to a cratering charge of AMFO. (if you don't know what it is then don't do it) Come to think of it - it's illegal - Don't do it at all!

Montana Rancher
09-02-2014, 10:27 PM
I have 1 gross of mouse traps in storage for barter, not only a good defense aid but also good for them freekin mice. Total cost today about $70, value in the future... priceless.

BugMan
09-04-2014, 11:52 PM
I think I'm set for traps. Pretty much every kind.