PDA

View Full Version : canning

omegabrock
08-04-2014, 03:58 PM
what's a good starting point to get into canning? the way my wife said her and her grandma used to do it was just putting the stuff in jars then putting the jars into boiling water and then the tops to seal. i know there is more to it than that but that is the jest of it right? is there any other equipment i need? any equipment that might make the process smoother or more expedient? going to start some other researching but yall are a vast database of knowledge and i would be foolish to not take y'all's personal experience into account.

omegabrock
08-04-2014, 04:03 PM
also, is pickling kind of the same process? just without the heat

HuntingHawk
08-04-2014, 04:20 PM
What you are talking about is a water bath & few items can be done that way. Pickles is again different as you are using vinegar to preserve the food.

Pressure canning sounds like what you want to learn. Plenty of ya'lltube vids on it. First thing is don't buy the elcheapo canners that uses the rubber ring that will fail at the worst time. Spend the money & get an All American canner, even a used one off fleabay. A few years ago I purchased a WWII era one & works just fine & still has the original pressure gauge.

HuntingHawk
08-04-2014, 04:24 PM
Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving is considered the bible for canning. Everyone that does any canning should have it.

If you walk into a store look at all the canned goods including meats. Anything there that is canned you can also can.

omegabrock
08-04-2014, 04:38 PM
oh awesome...thanks, ill check into that now

Inor
08-04-2014, 04:50 PM
is there any other equipment i need? any equipment that might make the process smoother or more expedient?

Boy is THAT a loaded question!!! I have literally spent over $1000 getting Mrs Inor setup with equipment that she does not "need" but makes the "process smoother and more expedient". Be careful what you wish there boyo! :D

omegabrock
08-04-2014, 04:56 PM
Boy is THAT a loaded question!!! I have literally spent over $1000 getting Mrs Inor setup with equipment that she does not "need" but makes the "process smoother and more expedient". Be careful what you wish there boyo! :D

hahaha...well to start small and work up from there. she is wanting to start doing it as a hobby so i don't want to dump $1000 bucks but in the long run if she sticks to it then maybe i would haha

Slippy
08-04-2014, 05:12 PM
Canning is fun and can be economical. Get the book that Hunting Hawk suggested and check out YouTube. We can some of the stuff that we grow in the garden and Mrs. Slippy gets crazy with some Peach, Blackberry, Strawberry Preserves. Better than store bought. Check out some Pressure Canners on the line and some equipment for a basic water bath for acidic veggies and fruits.

omegabrock
08-04-2014, 05:14 PM
Well we will have to start with store bought stuff, but that's better than nothing.

HuntingHawk
08-04-2014, 05:30 PM
Something you want to look for is a canning starter kit which should have the Ball book. It has the other basic tools needed for canning. Other then that you will only need a pressure canner & mason jars.

HuntingHawk
08-04-2014, 05:38 PM
You don't have to grow your own stuff for canning to be economical. Buy whatever is in season at a roadside stand & can it. I can alot of meats. I buy what is on sale. I make stews to my taste. I do my own pork & beans called cowboy beans. I buy pork shoulder when on sale, debone it & can it. Open the can & make pulled pork sandwiches. I can chicken legs & can fit 5 or 6 in a quart jar. I can the entire legs & strip the meat off it to make whatever & then use the bone & fat to make chicken broth. Your regular meatloaf can be canned & comes out perfect every time. Just use alittle extra egg.

shootbrownelk
08-04-2014, 07:57 PM
Head to your local WallyWorld and proceed to the canning supply isle. You should be able to get your Ball canning book there.
Look for a good used pressure cooker, Mirro makes a good one. I can most of the trout my wife and I catch, they taste just like canned salmon. I too can Antelope and Mule deer...cut into cubes and packed into jars with a tablespoon of beef stew seasoning.
Tastes just like Dinty Moore! Just make sure that you follow the directions in the Ball book TO THE LETTER. Especially when canning low acid food like meats. Being careless can KILL YOU...can you say Botulism?? Good Luck, and as said earlier...canning is fun!

1moretoy
08-04-2014, 08:00 PM
what's a good starting point to get into canning? the way my wife said her and her grandma used to do it was just putting the stuff in jars then putting the jars into boiling water and then the tops to seal.

Also known as blanching (water bath). My folks used to do green beans this way. They still have to be cooked when you open them but they will last for years that way.

HuntingHawk
08-04-2014, 08:11 PM
I just checked fleabay & there are used AA canners starting at $90.

Infidel
08-04-2014, 09:34 PM
This is fortuitous, I was just talking to the wife tonight about getting started canning. One of the reasons that I haven't been planting vegetables is because I had no way of keeping them other than freezing them. I'd like to put in a couple of raised beds and start growing stuff that we eat next year so this thread's timing is perfect. I can pick up some canning gear and be ready for next year. Tomatoes would be the most likely thing for me to start with since I can use them in so many ways, I'll have to start looking for some canning gear and get started with them. Thanks for all the advice (even if it wasn't directed at me).

-Infidel