PDA

View Full Version : Hi from the Northern Rockies!

MountainGirl
12-13-2017, 10:18 AM
Greetings!

I live off-grid on 8 acres in the mountains with my husband Tom, a couple of big coyote-chasing dogs, 7 cats, a flock of wild turkeys that wander through every morning, a large moose & calf that should be coming back through soon, a nice white-tail doe that recently stripped the leaves off our newly planted apple trees & elderberry bushes, a small pack of coyotes that howl at us and each other a couple nights each week from different places in the mountains around us...oh yeah - there was a fair sized mountain lion that wandered up the drive last spring...but he's not around anymore, if you know what I mean, lol.

Looking forward to interacting in the threads.
I was told this was a place I could speak my mind.
Fair warning. :)

hawgrider
12-13-2017, 10:22 AM
Welcome aboard glad you made it. Grab a chair and set a spell!

Oh hell yes speak away, raise some hell, Have fun should be some familiar faces here. Don't be shy we aren't LOL!

hawgrider
12-13-2017, 10:26 AM
Greetings!

I live off-grid on 8 acres in the mountains with my husband Tom, a couple of big coyote-chasing dogs, 7 cats, a flock of wild turkeys that wander through every morning, a large moose & calf that should be coming back through soon, a nice white-tail doe that recently stripped the leaves off our newly planted apple trees & elderberry bushes, a small pack of coyotes that howl at us and each other a couple nights each week from different places in the mountains around us...oh yeah - there was a fair sized mountain lion that wandered up the drive last spring...but he's not around anymore, if you know what I mean, lol.

Looking forward to interacting in the threads.
I was told this was a place I could speak my mind.
Fair warning. :)

The apple trees-

Yeah had the same problem when I had a place in the tip of the mitt. Deer love young apple trees so I hung bars of dove soap in onion bags to help discourage the deer. Human hair may also help and if you want to go full blown don't screw with my young apple trees take some Garden fence and make a protective barrier around each tree until its big enough to out grow the deer.

Gambit
12-13-2017, 11:27 AM
howdy from the kiddie pool of shame in KY
http://favoritememes.com/_nw/21/19335341.jpg

Innkeeper
12-13-2017, 11:42 AM
Welcome from the 45th Parallel of Michigan, since you have a dog collect his hair and put it around the trees, that is what the fruit farmers around me recommended for my apple and cherry trees. And we like pics here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MI.oldguy
12-13-2017, 12:10 PM
Hey,your name sounds familiar!....welcome to the forum.

juskom95
12-13-2017, 12:41 PM
https://i.imgur.com/HHV8Bdz.gif

Welcome!

It definitely looks like you have a good setup there!

Big Ken
12-13-2017, 01:01 PM
Hello and Welcome

BucketBack
12-13-2017, 01:35 PM
Hello and welcome for the west is best side of MI

Inor
12-13-2017, 01:37 PM
Hello from Arizona.

Sparkyprep
12-13-2017, 01:47 PM
Welcome from south florida

rstanek
12-13-2017, 02:32 PM
Welcome from Wisconsin, recognize you from PF.......

MountainGirl
12-13-2017, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the welcome, guys! I see some familiar faces :)

Yeah..those 2 apple trees are looking pretty sad right now. Not sure what'll happen in the spring, if it looks like they make it then a tall fence for sure. Thanks all for your ideas!

MountainGirl
12-13-2017, 03:30 PM
Hmm... cant edit my post for some reason. Was going to add that I'll take some pics of the sticks & post them.

Gambit
12-13-2017, 04:12 PM
Hmm... cant edit my post for some reason. Was going to add that I'll take some pics of the sticks & post them.

i have issues as well when i need to edit
i think its something at our end
so just blame Obamacare like i do

juskom95
12-13-2017, 04:16 PM
i have issues as well when i need to edit
i think its something at our end
so just blame Obamacare like i do

No, no, no . . . its the RUSSIANS!!!!

juskom95
12-13-2017, 04:17 PM

Any kind of error? It might be the IT gremlins . . . .

http://i.imgur.com/tYQBcrb.jpg

Gambit
12-13-2017, 04:18 PM
No, no, no . . . its the RUSSIANS!!!!

https://i.imgflip.com/1hlxjk.jpg

hawgrider
12-13-2017, 05:26 PM

There are no time limits on edits here at all. You can go back and edit from a year ago if you want.

The only time the big boss gets cranky if for mass deleting your threads and posts because you got mad at us he banned a guy for that.

We dont ban very much hardly ever unless the perpetrator causes damage or is a pedophile. We barely have any rules here... we have some but even the big boss doesnt follow most of them.

If threads or posts arent fit for public I may move them into the potty mouth section but thats about it.

hawgrider
12-13-2017, 05:36 PM

Look for the edit button it should be visible on the bottom right hand side of your post. I checked your permissions and you should be able to edit.

Are you using a PC, phone, tablet? What browser?

MountainGirl
12-13-2017, 06:28 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/1hlxjk.jpg

I hate monkeys.

Edit test: I still hate monkeys. Always have, cant explain it, dont need to.

Second edit: Edit works fine now, prob slow connection timed out. And, I still hate monkeys.

hawgrider
12-13-2017, 06:29 PM
I hate monkeys.

Edit test: I still hate monkeys. Always have, cant explain it, dont need to.

Did the edit button work this time... looks like it.

MountainGirl
12-13-2017, 06:30 PM
There are no time limits on edits here at all. You can go back and edit from a year ago if you want.

The only time the big boss gets cranky if for mass deleting your threads and posts because you got mad at us he banned a guy for that.

We dont ban very much hardly ever unless the perpetrator causes damage or is a pedophile. We barely have any rules here... we have some but even the big boss doesnt follow most of them.

If threads or posts arent fit for public I may move them into the potty mouth section but thats about it.
Good to know, thanks!

hawgrider
12-13-2017, 06:31 PM
You now have access to the super secret PF refugees forum I flipped the switch to let you in. Look for the forum in the refugees section.

Slippy
12-13-2017, 06:43 PM
Welcome aboard glad you made it. Grab a chair and set a spell!

Oh hell yes speak away, raise some hell, Have fun should be some familiar faces here. Don't be shy we aren't LOL!

Hey MountainGirl!

Slippy hates monkeys too! :kool:

MountainGirl
12-13-2017, 06:43 PM
You now have access to the super secret PF refugees forum I flipped the switch to let you in. Look for the forum in the refugees section.

Will do!

Also..here's a few pics, any thoughts about the trees would be most appreciated. When we planted them, put in a small (36") chickenwire surround to keep the cats & dogs from digging them up. Never thought about deer - who reached right over and stripped off the leaves. They couldn't reach the crown on one...and left 4 leaves on the other. Think they'll bud next spring? @Innkeeper @hawgrider @ anyone else with a guess.

The other pics are Jake with a deer spine. Hope it tastes like apple.

MountainGirl
12-13-2017, 06:44 PM
Hey MountainGirl!

Slippy hates monkeys too! :kool:

Hiya Slippy! Grand to see you here :)

Edit: I dont know what a pack of Kools has to do with the monkeys I'm talkin about (lol) but the implication was understood. :stirpot:
You got some weird ass smilies over here

hawgrider
12-13-2017, 07:00 PM
Hiya Slippy! Grand to see you here :)

Edit: I dont know what a pack of Kools has to do with the monkeys I'm talkin about (lol) but the implication was understood. :stirpot:
You got some weird ass smilies over here

Pack of Kools = Cool!

Was it a month with a "R" in it when the deer stripped the leaves off? If so they should make it next year.

At least thats how it works in the northeast. Any month with a R in it the trees can be pruned another words they should have been going dormant which is OK to prune.

hawgrider
12-13-2017, 07:02 PM
Hey Slippy look at here pics again she has a head on a Slippy pike LMAO!

hawgrider
12-13-2017, 07:04 PM
Oh and btw the @ thingy isn't active here.

Coastie dad
12-13-2017, 07:20 PM
Aw, crap! Look who drifted over here!

Oh, you be gonna like this place. Glad to see you followed the breadcrumbs!

But I need to warn you...there are smart asses over here. You'll recognize them...

MountainGirl
12-13-2017, 07:42 PM
Pack of Kools = Cool!

Was it a month with a "R" in it when the deer stripped the leaves off? If so they should make it next year.

At least thats how it works in the northeast. Any month with a R in it the trees can be pruned another words they should have been going dormant which is OK to prune.

Mid-Septemberrrrrr. We stopped watering maybe a week before they hit, temps were still up though.

Oh and btw the @ thingy isn't active here.

So I see. Options, then, to get someone's attention are Quote them or PM them? BTW - I get a PM every time someone quotes me. I like the Notification system at PF better - but I like everything else here better, lol - so no biggie, that.

A Watchman
12-13-2017, 07:46 PM
I know Tom, but who the hell are YOU!

hawgrider
12-13-2017, 07:49 PM
Mid-Septemberrrrrr. We stopped watering maybe a week before they hit, temps were still up though.

So I see. Options, then, to get someone's attention are Quote them or PM them? BTW - I get a PM every time someone quotes me. I like the Notification system at PF better - but I like everything else here better, lol - so no biggie, that.

Oh yeah you can turn that crap off in your user settings
Thats stuff gets annoying fast. If you can't find the setting to turn those off let me know.

To get someones attention grab a club and and hit them upside the head.

I guess I should check our version of V Bulletin and see if that @ thingy is available.

MountainGirl
12-13-2017, 07:50 PM
Aw, crap! Look who drifted over here!

Oh, you be gonna like this place. Glad to see you followed the breadcrumbs!

But I need to warn you...there are smart asses over here. You'll recognize them...

Yeah, Mr. Hawgrider left a pretty big trail. I dont mind smart asses; so far from what I've read those who give it can also take it. I'm tired of wimps. :violin:

MountainGirl
12-13-2017, 07:54 PM
I know Tom, but who the hell are YOU!
You know Tom? I don't think so.
You might know someone named Tom, but that's not my Tom. LOL
Who am I?
I'm nobody. Just a quiet voice from the northern mountains, enjoying whatever comes as it comes.
Who the hell are YOU?

Edit: I know who you are. You're the guy that posted the picture of the guy with a really big nose and ears over in PF. Right? Pfffft. LOL

hawgrider
12-13-2017, 07:56 PM
Yeah, Mr. Hawgrider left a pretty big trail. I dont mind smart asses; so far from what I've read those who give it can also take it. I'm tired of wimps. :violin:

Coastie dad says I'm a neurologist... I know how to strike a nerve. :biglaugh:

Inor
12-13-2017, 07:56 PM
You know Tom? I don't think so.
You might know someone named Tom, but that's not my Tom. LOL
Who am I?
I'm nobody. Just a quiet voice from the northern mountains, enjoying whatever comes as it comes.
Who the hell are YOU?

He's The Watchman! Everybody knows The Watchman...

MountainGirl
12-13-2017, 07:59 PM
Oh yeah you can turn that crap off in your user settings
Thats stuff gets annoying fast. If you can't find the setting to turn those off let me know.

To get someones attention grab a club and and hit them upside the head.

I guess I should check our version of V Bulletin and see if that @ thingy is available.
I went through the settings... think I have to be a VIP member to adjust that function. I can delete the PMs soon as I go through them. Doubt I'll be quoted that much anyway, so no worries.

Inor
12-13-2017, 08:01 PM
I went through the settings... think I have to be a VIP member to adjust that function. I can delete the PMs soon as I go through them. Doubt I'll be quoted that much anyway, so no worries.

If you want to get rid of that really annoying orange color look at very bottom of the page on the left. There is a dropdown that lets you skin the site in not such a loud color.

MountainGirl
12-13-2017, 08:02 PM
Hey - my thank you button just went away. And what's the star thingy all about that says Add to user's reputation??

hawgrider
12-13-2017, 08:03 PM

Nope you dont have to be VIP go to setting at the top right of the screen the on the left scroll down to PM post quote and say no

MountainGirl
12-13-2017, 08:05 PM
If you want to get rid of that really annoying orange color look at very bottom of the page on the left. There is a dropdown that lets you skin the site in not such a loud color.

Ahhhh...Default soft grey bluish. Thanks much :)

hawgrider
12-13-2017, 08:05 PM

Hunters orange is not annoying its cool!
I like the orange its bad ass!

hawgrider
12-13-2017, 08:06 PM
Ahhhh...Default soft grey bluish. Thanks much :)

Soooooo boring blue sucks!

Inor
12-13-2017, 08:07 PM
Hunters orange is not annoying its cool!
I like the orange its bad ass!

It gives me a fuckin' headache like you would not believe after about 2 minutes!

MountainGirl
12-13-2017, 08:07 PM
Nope you dont have to be VIP go to setting at the top right of the screen the on the left scroll down to PM post quote and say no

Okay I did that, thanks! Now...how will I know if I'm quoted? Will it show up in Notifications like at PF?

Inor
12-13-2017, 08:09 PM
We do not have the notification stuff turned on here. We did for a while and it caused all kinds of problems. Plus, we do not have nearly as much traffic as PF so it is not a big deal to just keep track of your posts and your friends here.

hawgrider
12-13-2017, 08:10 PM
Hey - my thank you button just went away. And what's the star thingy all about that says Add to user's reputation??

I belive the thanks button does the same thing. It reputation.

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/171214/ihl32pp3.jpg (http://www.directupload.net)

hawgrider
12-13-2017, 08:11 PM
It gives me a fuckin' headache like you would not believe after about 2 minutes!

Wussy only chicks get migraines.

A Watchman
12-13-2017, 08:13 PM
Wussy only chicks get migraines.

And ...... frigid bitches.

Inor
12-13-2017, 08:13 PM
I do not remember what Reputation is for. I figure, if you are at this site in the first place, your reputation is already shot. So who cares?

hawgrider
12-13-2017, 08:14 PM
I do not remember what Reputation is for. I figure, if you are at this site in the first place, your reputation is already shot. So who cares?

The thanks button builds reputation toooooo. But yeah nobody here cares.

Inor
12-13-2017, 08:15 PM
The thanks button builds reputation toooooo. But yeah nobody here cares.

But what do you do with reputation once you have built it? I mean it is not nearly as cool as having a Smart Ass medal.

A Watchman
12-13-2017, 08:17 PM
Everyone who sticks around here deserves a smart ass medal, huh?

MountainGirl
12-13-2017, 08:18 PM
HAHAHA just tried to click the star on your post, and a little box popped up that said:

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to hawgrider again."

So, sorry hawgrider - looks like I got to spread it around before giving it to you again.
Amazing. Not even a day here and already being slut-shamed.

:getdown:

hawgrider
12-13-2017, 08:19 PM
Everyone who sticks around here deserves a smart ass medal, huh?

Yeah whats up with that you dont have yours yet you slacker! Hurry up and earn it....

hawgrider
12-13-2017, 08:20 PM
HAHAHA just tried to click the star on your post, and a little box popped up that said:

So, sorry hawgrider - looks like I got to spread it around before giving it to you again.

My reputation is toast... nobody can give me any.

Inor
12-13-2017, 08:24 PM
Yeah whats up with that you dont have yours yet you slacker! Hurry up and earn it....

Watchman is now an official Smart Ass since I re-figured out how to navigate the backroom.

Gambit
12-14-2017, 05:52 AM

me and ricekila are the only two here who is allowed to be slut-shamed here

Inor
12-14-2017, 06:23 AM
me and ricekila are the only two here who is allowed to be slut-shamed here

It is only shaming if it offends you. I think you and Rice enjoy being called "sluts". :biglaugh:

Gambit
12-14-2017, 06:35 AM
It is only shaming if it offends you. I think you and Rice enjoy being called "sluts". :biglaugh:
I are correct
but now the big question is, who the bigger slut me or rice

Innkeeper
12-14-2017, 06:58 AM
Will do!

Also..here's a few pics, any thoughts about the trees would be most appreciated. When we planted them, put in a small (36") chickenwire surround to keep the cats & dogs from digging them up. Never thought about deer - who reached right over and stripped off the leaves. They couldn't reach the crown on one...and left 4 leaves on the other. Think they'll bud next spring? @Innkeeper @hawgrider @ anyone else with a guess.

The other pics are Jake with a deer spine. Hope it tastes like apple.

]

What kind of apple trees?

Nice looking dog.

MountainGirl
12-14-2017, 08:17 AM
What kind of apple trees?

Nice looking dog.

I think one is a Mac and the other a Jonagold. They're hubby's project; I'll go look soon as it's daylight here in a couple hours.
Here's another pic of my big boys - Jake (95lbs) in the background, Stryker (110lbs) up front. They go out on patrol a few times a day; they're pretty good at keeping the coyotes back. Stryker took on a small brown (bear) a few years back, and won. Bear backed down, took off. :)

Innkeeper
12-14-2017, 08:32 AM
I think one is a Mac and the other a Jonagold. They're hubby's project; I'll go look soon as it's daylight here in a couple hours.
Here's another pic of my big boys - Jake (95lbs) in the background, Stryker (110lbs) up front. They go out on patrol a few times a day; they're pretty good at keeping the coyotes back. Stryker took on a small brown (bear) a few years back, and won. Bear backed down, took off. :)

Definitely good looking dogs, I hate yotes, enjoyed hunting them in Tx have not hunted them here yet though I do have them all around me, seen them cross up the road from where I live but never on my property, which might be why I have foxes and a ton of turkeys. I have honeycrisp and Granny Smith trees, I like the tart apples.
Good luck and keep an eye out for bear cubs, even our blacks get cranky with cubs, I see them when I am out get a nice view and then head the other direction fast. lol

juskom95
12-14-2017, 09:36 AM
We dont ban very much hardly ever unless the perpetrator causes damage or is a pedophile..

Or if we get bored . . . . . .

Unclefred
12-14-2017, 10:45 AM
Welcome and I share your deer problems. Luckily a fence keeps them off the blueberries.

MountainGirl
12-14-2017, 10:57 AM
Welcome and I share your deer problems. Luckily a fence keeps them off the blueberries.

How tall is your fence, and is that you with Trump?

Unclefred
12-14-2017, 02:33 PM
Mine is 4 feet. You could move your fence out a bit too so they can't reach.

That's Uncle Ted Nugent with the President!

Slippy
12-14-2017, 05:45 PM
How tall is your fence, and is that you with Trump?

Mine is 4 feet. You could move your fence out a bit too so they can't reach.

That's Uncle Ted Nugent with the President!

Wang Dang Sweet Poontang!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAc3MzAfL-o

rice paddy daddy
12-15-2017, 08:22 PM
Welcome, glad ya made it.
The rules (what rules?) are a little looser over here that at that other place.