PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to listen?

MountainGirl
12-15-2017, 11:19 AM
Seeking advice and product recommendations for a radio set-up.

We do not want or need to transmit, only listen to the mayhem post SHTF, on as many frequencies as might be out there.

There is a good high spot 100' from the cabin, with an unlimited view for 270-degrees (there's higher mountains behind us) to set up an antenna(s).

All thoughts welcome and very much appreciated.

juskom95
12-15-2017, 11:23 AM
Why don't you want the ability to transmit?

The setup for either probably wouldn't be that different.

MountainGirl
12-15-2017, 11:37 AM
Why don't you want the ability to transmit?

The setup for either probably wouldn't be that different.

No need. We're an army of two; hunkered, self-sustaining & very remote. Knowing whats happening would be entertaining at the least; wouldn't rely on the validity of anything we heard, however.

TJC44
12-15-2017, 01:30 PM
No need. We're an army of two; hunkered, self-sustaining & very remote. Knowing whats happening would be entertaining at the least; wouldn't rely on the validity of anything we heard, however.

You should reconsider that.
If you're running 100 ft of coax ANYWAY, being able to communicate with friendlies, close or distant, is an asset. Whether it be by voice, digital mode, or CW.
Different bands have different antenna requirements. You would not use a long wire to hear SATCOM, and you wouldn't use a dish to hear HF/VHF.

JM2C
TJC

juskom95
12-15-2017, 01:36 PM
If you're running 100 ft of coax ANYWAY, being able to communicate with friendlies, close or distant, is an asset. Whether it be by voice, digital mode, or CW.
Different bands have different antenna requirements. You would not use a long wire to hear SATCOM, and you wouldn't use a dish to hear HF/VHF.

JM2C
TJC

I'm not an expert on VHF/UHF, but I don't think the cost would be that different, would it?

MountainGirl
12-15-2017, 02:34 PM

JM2C
TJC

We have considered it; for our situation transmitting isn't gonna happen. I appreciate your suggestion though, very much. Yeah, I imagine there'll be a few antennas up the hill, lol.

I'm not an expert on VHF/UHF, but I don't think the cost would be that different, would it?
I've just started looking but so far transceivers are quite a bit more than just a receiver/radio. We'll pay for quality in what we want, but cost still plays in some.

juskom95
12-15-2017, 03:15 PM
I've just started looking but so far transceivers are quite a bit more than just a receiver/radio. We'll pay for quality in what we want, but cost still plays in some.

I know there are HAMfests in some areas, you might be able to pick up some decent used gear.

Gambit
12-15-2017, 03:22 PM
I could never get into ham because the FCC will hunt me down after 2 minutes of my stupidity on air
I could do nothing but sandbag

Sparkyprep
12-15-2017, 03:58 PM
I appreciate the fact that you and your mate want to be stand-alone, self sufficient preppers in SHTF. But, in my opinion, two people, alone, against the entire world simply wont last long, and is impractical. Humans, as well as many other species, survive, thrive, and are successfull because of our social abilities. Communities are one main reason that humans became the dominant species on Earth. No one can know how to do everything, all the time. To survive SHTF, you are going to need knowledge, supplies, and resources that you simply dont have, but a trusted friend might. You will eventually need to be able to call for help.

TJC44
12-15-2017, 05:52 PM
There are enough dual band VHF/UHF radios and antennas out there to make that a fairly simple setup, RX or RX/TX. As you add in more bands, or different modes, the complexity rises. More antennae, more coax, more complex radios, etc., etc.

MountainGirl
12-15-2017, 06:33 PM
I appreciate the fact that you and your mate want to be stand-alone, self sufficient preppers in SHTF. But, in my opinion, two people, alone, against the entire world simply wont last long, and is impractical. Humans, as well as many other species, survive, thrive, and are successfull because of our social abilities. Communities are one main reason that humans became the dominant species on Earth. No one can know how to do everything, all the time. To survive SHTF, you are going to need knowledge, supplies, and resources that you simply dont have, but a trusted friend might. You will eventually need to be able to call for help.

Sparkyprep, hi. I appreciate your words and concern - and you would be right if we were normal people; we're not.

Nor is it a matter of 'two people against the world'. We're not 'against' anything, just have no use for it; and I doubt the 'world' has any interest in us... we're not rich enough, or important enough, to bother with...even if someone could find their way up here. We're old folks, and eventually we'll die up here - but until then we live up here, running naked wild-assed and free, lol. We drive down to town on occasion in the summer for a beer & some slow-elk, but everything we need to survive is already here - and I'm not talking about long-term food & supplies, things that eventually run out, etc. We subscribe to the old ways; EMP wont affect us other than switching out the well pump to a manual water draw...and drying the venison in the freezer, etc. Wont miss the internet (except for OTP of course!) and there is no one to 'call for help', so it's on us to handle whatever comes, and our choice to live in this manner, which we're already doing, and wouldn't trade it for the world. :)

MountainGirl
12-15-2017, 08:17 PM
So... I was thinking maybe something like this to start with?

Any SHTF (up to EMP) this might be enough...to listen. Or, we might want more.

https://www.rei.com/product/874373/c-crane-ccradio-2e-enhanced-radio

C Crane CCRadio-2E Enhanced Radio

Features

NOAA Weather Band with loud alert and 2-Meter Ham band help keep you informed during storms and emergencies
5 memory buttons on top of the radio make it easier to change stations rather than front-mounted buttons
Auto-search 5 progammable memories for Ham radio communications; sensitivity/squelch can be adjusted for best results
Patented Twin-Coil Ferrite® AM antenna provides a noticeable boost to weak AM signals
After you select a station, the radio evaluates the signal for several seconds and then locks it in for the best possible signal
Display features a full backlight with 3 levels of brightness; when turned on, it shows the station you are on and then automatically changes to the clock after 15 seconds
The C Crane CCRadio-2E Enhanced Radio features adjustable bass and treble, clock alarm, sleep timer, auto scan, stereo headphone jack, line-input jack and line-output jack
Runs on included AC power cord or 4 "D" batteries (sold separately)

All thoughts welcome.

Inor
12-15-2017, 08:50 PM
Sparkyprep, hi. I appreciate your words and concern - and you would be right if we were normal people; we're not.

Nor is it a matter of 'two people against the world'. We're not 'against' anything, just have no use for it; and I doubt the 'world' has any interest in us... we're not rich enough, or important enough, to bother with...even if someone could find their way up here. We're old folks, and eventually we'll die up here - but until then we live up here, running naked wild-assed and free, lol. We drive down to town on occasion in the summer for a beer & some slow-elk, but everything we need to survive is already here - and I'm not talking about long-term food & supplies, things that eventually run out, etc. We subscribe to the old ways; EMP wont affect us other than switching out the well pump to a manual water draw...and drying the venison in the freezer, etc. Wont miss the internet (except for OTP of course!) and there is no one to 'call for help', so it's on us to handle whatever comes, and our choice to live in this manner, which we're already doing, and wouldn't trade it for the world. :)

Your situation sounds VERY similar to what Mrs Inor and I are building with M. T. Acres. Keep a very LOW profile and be forgotten in the unfashionable backwaters of nowhere.

If you are interested in HAM radio stuff, I strongly suggest you PM Paraquack on the green site. He is a hardcore HAM guy and is very good at explaining things in English to those of us that do not speak HAM language. We have met him a couple times in real life and he is damn good guy. Plus, he might be able to steer you away from some problem units. He sent me an e-mail this week about some Baofeng (spelling?) radios that he had stored in EMP containers that did not survive too well, even without an EMP.

TJC44
12-15-2017, 08:56 PM
He sent me an e-mail this week about some Baofeng (spelling?) radios that he had stored in EMP containers that did not survive too well, even without an EMP.

I've heard people raving about those Baofeng radios, I've always had doubts about them, being cheap pieces of Chinese crap. Did he say what happened to them?

Inor
12-15-2017, 09:03 PM
I've heard people raving about those Baofeng radios, I've always had doubts about them, being cheap pieces of Chinese crap. Did he say what happened to them?

He stores them in some kind of heavy anti-static bags and then inside sealed metal containers. They worked when he stored them away several months ago. He took them out and they tested them and they no longer receive shit. Obviously, in the middle of the desert, humidity is not the problem. The last e-mail on it that I got from him was the day before yesterday and he was trying to track down individual circuits that failed... The same black magic you work. But I have not heard a conclusion.

MountainGirl
12-15-2017, 09:09 PM
Your situation sounds VERY similar to what Mrs Inor and I are building with M. T. Acres. Keep a very LOW profile and be forgotten in the unfashionable backwaters of nowhere.

If you are interested in HAM radio stuff, I strongly suggest you PM Paraquack on the green site. He is a hardcore HAM guy and is very good at explaining things in English to those of us that do not speak HAM language. We have met him a couple times in real life and he is damn good guy. Plus, he might be able to steer you away from some problem units. He sent me an e-mail this week about some Baofeng (spelling?) radios that he had stored in EMP containers that did not survive too well, even without an EMP.

Thanks for that. BTW, just bookmarked your mtacres link; will very much enjoy reading it. You want thoughts/questions/feedback on it or maybe here somewhere instead? Our 'environments' are opposites, lol, but some tricks might work anywhere.

OSFG
12-15-2017, 09:15 PM
I have listened to radio all around the world. Here is what I know.

Most short range radio 30-50 miles or so is typically HF, VHF, or UHF line of site communications. These are transmitted typically with vertically polarized antennas (think Pole or a 1/4 wave slant).

To effectively receive them you want to also be vertically polarized with your antenna or you will take roughly a 22dB hit in receive quality. What that means is that what you might hear with a regular radio (down to - 90dB or so) you won't hear unless it is roughly 10 times closer to you. Also many are repeated through repeater systems.

These do not have to be very big antennas, since your not transmitting, but they need to be of the correct wave length as to your target frequency range.

Longer range radio transmission (300 miles and beyond) are typically bounced off the atmosphere back to earth (BBC, Public broadcast) These are most effectively done with horizontal polarized antennas, such as di-poles, inverted vee's etc. The same holds true about matching the polarization. So the quality can be affected by the direction of your dipole. (Think running it north/south to best hear signals from Europe or Japan...vise East/west to hear from central America, Canada...etc.)

I have transmitted and received from 3,000 miles using nothing but wire, some string, a rock, and a tree.so it doesn't have to be an expensive endeavor. Just gotta know a little math.

I am a big fan of the inverted Vee antenna since it actually has more of a diagonal portion that reduces the loss of mis matched polarity stations, down to about 3dB.... essentially lets you recieve both vertical and horizontal with less loss.

Inor
12-15-2017, 09:30 PM
Thanks for that. BTW, just bookmarked your mtacres link; will very much enjoy reading it. You want thoughts/questions/feedback on it or maybe here somewhere instead? Our 'environments' are opposites, lol, but some tricks might work anywhere.

Post 'em there. Post 'em here. Whatever.

MountainGirl
12-15-2017, 09:39 PM
I have listened to radio all around the world. Here is what I know.

Most short range radio 30-50 miles or so is typically HF, VHF, or UHF line of site communications. These are transmitted typically with vertically polarized antennas (think Pole).

To effectively receive them you want to also be vertically polarized with your antenna or you will take roughly a 22dB hit in receive quality. What that means is that what you might hear with a regular radio (down to - 90dB or so) you won't hear unless it is roughly 10 times closer to you. Also many are repeated through repeater systems.

These do not have to be very big antennas, since your not transmitting, but they need to be of the correct wave length as to your target frequency range.

Longer range radio transmission (300 miles and beyond) are typically bounced off the atmosphere back to earth (BBC, Public broadcast) These are most effectively done with horizontal polarized antennas, such as di-poles, inverted vee's etc. The same holds true about matching the polarization. So the quality can be affected by the direction of your dipole. (Think running it north/south to best hear signals from Europe or Japan...vise East/west to hear from central America, Canada...etc.)

I have transmitted and received from 3,000 miles using nothing but wire, some string, a rock, and a tree.so it doesn't have to be an expensive endeavor. Just gotta know a little math.

Wow, thanks for that. I need to research antenna orientation, etc.

One of the reviews on that REI site, said this:

The twin ferrite internal antenna is highly effective, but in the unlikely event you need stronger reception you have the option of attaching a 50-foot insulated wire to a rear connector for even stronger signals.

Now, I dont know if that 50-foot wire is an extra that can be bought, or just something that user did, but either way we'd want to run 100' up the hill - or would going up the hill even be necessary?

If I'm asking too much from ya, feel free to point me to the best 'Antennas for Dummies' website you know of. :) I need that anyway, lol.

OSFG
12-15-2017, 09:47 PM
One thing to keep in mind is Line loss. Most cable, even the best cable can lose close to 3 dB over 100 foot run (For transmitting that is a reduction by half of your radiated power. For recieve it equals about a 1/4 reduction in range/quality). Line loss can be recovered by a Low Noise Amplifier (LNA).

Going up the hill depends on where you expect to receive from. Obviously higher usually means better as far as line of sight comms, But will not help greatly if your listening to skywave signals, unless the mountain/hill is in the direction of the distant station.

Slippy
12-15-2017, 10:01 PM
Mountain Girl, we bought our setup from the clowns at Ham Radio Outlet. (see link below)

Most of the folk there were great at explaining the differences in various models and helping us with our needs. Mrs S has her license and did the research on our setup. I really don't know shit about the whole HAM thing so I can't help you much.

We don't use our radio as much as we thought we would but we have it in case we need it. So there's that...

Good luck and tell Tom, Slippy says Hey!

https://www.hamradio.com/locations.cfm?storeid=8

OSFG
12-15-2017, 10:07 PM
Mountain Girl, we bought our setup from the clowns at Ham Radio Outlet. (see link below)

Most of the folk there were great at explaining the differences in various models and helping us with our needs. Mrs S has her license and did the research on our setup. I really don't know shit about the whole HAM thing so I can't help you much.

We don't use our radio as much as we thought we would but we have it in case we need it. So there's that...

This is probably way more helpful to you than what I said....My info is confusing and based more on a dumbass like me being stuck somewhere with what I got on my back...probably not what your looking for.... Good luck Mountain Girl

azrancher
12-15-2017, 11:50 PM
We do not want or need to transmit, only listen to the mayhem post SHTF, on as many frequencies as might be out there.

No need. We're an army of two; hunkered, self-sustaining & very remote. Knowing whats happening would be entertaining at the least; wouldn't rely on the validity of anything we heard

I'm going to play the devils advocate here... If you are an army of two and you don't need help from anyone else, and you are completely self sufficient, then you don't need to know what is happening anywhere else.

OK, you don't need to talk, so you listen, perhaps you here a "CQ KH1BBQ listening", and that's all you hear, and he/she keeps transmitting that same series of letters and number... what did he/she say, was it important, where was he/she, and again. Why do you care?

See, you probably won't be hearing news reports, and hopefully not CNN, you will be hearing Hams trying to make contact, and if it's a widespread disaster, there may not be much out there, wouldn't you like to respond to him/her, and ask WTF just happened?

Just my $0.02

Rancher

MountainGirl
12-16-2017, 08:45 AM
One thing to keep in mind is Line loss. Most cable, even the best cable can lose close to 3 dB over 100 foot run (For transmitting that is a reduction by half of your radiated power. For recieve it equals about a 1/4 reduction in range/quality). Line loss can be recovered by a Low Noise Amplifier (LNA).

Going up the hill depends on where you expect to receive from. Obviously higher usually means better as far as line of sight comms, But will not help greatly if your listening to skywave signals, unless the mountain/hill is in the direction of the distant station.
From up the hill, behind the mountain behind us, is wilderness for miles and miles, and then Canada, lol. Our line of sight looking E,S,W is unlimited. From the cabin, there is no line of sight.

This is probably way more helpful to you than what I said....My info is confusing and based more on a dumbass like me being stuck somewhere with what I got on my back...probably not what your looking for.... Good luck Mountain Girl I've been the dumbass, stuck with what I'm carrying. This is different for me, having one place like this, and everything I learn is useful...as I find out what will work and what wont. I appreciate your input, Sir.

MountainGirl
12-16-2017, 09:21 AM
I'm going to play the devils advocate here... If you are an army of two and you don't need help from anyone else, and you are completely self sufficient, then you don't need to know what is happening anywhere else.

OK, you don't need to talk, so you listen, perhaps you here a "CQ KH1BBQ listening", and that's all you hear, and he/she keeps transmitting that same series of letters and number... what did he/she say, was it important, where was he/she, and again. Why do you care?

See, you probably won't be hearing news reports, and hopefully not CNN, you will be hearing Hams trying to make contact, and if it's a widespread disaster, there may not be much out there, wouldn't you like to respond to him/her, and ask WTF just happened?

Just my $0.02

Rancher

$0.02 well spent, thanks.

And you are right, in what you describe we won't "need" to know, nor will we really care...well, that's not quite it; we 'care' about humanity as any human would, but as to how what unfolds directly affects us, it wont - with a few exceptions.

If there is a CME or EMP event that knocks out most everything - as your post describes - then the random surviving "CQ KH1BBQ listening" might bring more melancholy than hearing nothing, so at that point there'd be no reason to even listen; we'd know WTF happened.

BUT - If the SHTF is one of a widespread event, societal collapse, civil war, revolution, UN troops on US soil (lol), then there should be a lot to 'listen' to - and, again, we would not transmit. Especially then. It would be more of a curiosity for us...to hear gov propaganda, or Jedi out there fighting the Empire (lol) even though we'd not have their frequencies... my words are playful, my intent is serious.

AND - If SHTF never happens, it would be nice to have a good radio/receiver up here now; there are some regional stations relatively close that I'd enjoy listening to...and though I can through their websites I dont like being online to do it.

Thanks again, Rancher. I don't mind at all when my ideas are challenged. That's usually when I learn most.

MountainGirl
12-16-2017, 10:38 AM

Thanks Slippy! I might try and find us a used Ham something (your Ham skills exceed mine, lol); I wouldn't be doing any licensing etc...but I bet I can listen undetected. :)

Tom says Hey back!

OSFG
12-16-2017, 06:36 PM
Many folks do worry about transmitting during SHTF situations, especially when its Government run amuck/crack down types of SHTF situations.

Direction finding is far more difficult than some realize and easier than many realize depending on where you live.

I could go into this in detail but I don't want to derail MG's thread.

MountainGirl
12-16-2017, 07:07 PM
Many folks do worry about transmitting during SHTF situations, especially when its Government run amuck/crack down types of SHTF situations.

Direction finding is far more difficult than some realize and easier than many realize depending on where you live.

I could go into this in detail but I don't want to derail MG's thread.

Please do, OSFG; your words and experience are beyond measure - and this would be very much on topic, imo.

azrancher
12-16-2017, 07:54 PM
MG, one more thing, you don't need to get to the top of the hill near you to hook up a HF radio and antenna that will transmit, and receive from far away places depending on the atmospheric conditions, Line of Sight is only for VHF and more for UHF reception and transmission, so find a good HF receiver and try it out, for receiving just about any wire strung up thru the trees will get you reception. HF is 3 - 30 MHz.

Rancher

MountainGirl
12-17-2017, 10:04 AM
MG, one more thing, you don't need to get to the top of the hill near you to hook up a HF radio and antenna that will transmit, and receive from far away places depending on the atmospheric conditions, Line of Sight is only for VHF and more for UHF reception and transmission, so find a good HF receiver and try it out, for receiving just about any wire strung up thru the trees will get you reception. HF is 3 - 30 MHz.

Rancher

Thanks, Rancher, that's a good idea to try. Does wire size make any difference?

OSFG
12-17-2017, 10:10 AM
If your going to adjust it frequently I recommend a braided copper or similar... jut to allow you to roll it up or adjust frequency by changing the length

MountainGirl
12-17-2017, 10:31 AM
Length affects frequency? Boy do I have a lot to learn.

TJC44
12-17-2017, 10:36 AM
Yes. Higher frequency, shorter line. Lower frequency, longer line.
Also, any exposed copper / metal at the connection points need to be protected against the weather.

MI.oldguy
12-17-2017, 10:40 AM
Mountain Girl,now that I am not battling the snow today with our deadly black assault snowblower,This is what we have, a Grundig globe traveller S/W (short wave) radio.I bought it at Radio shack a few years ago before they failed for $49.99.the link provided (Amazon) is just for information,you can get one a lot cheaper elsewhere probably.it plugs into a wall socket,can use 4 AA batteries, and I am sure since its 6 volt aa 1.5v =6 v.can be adapted for your off grid use. the only antenna I use other than the telescoping antenna on it is a 100 foot piece of copper wire I soldered to an old 6 foot earphone jack that goes outside thru a hole I drilled in a window frame in our second bedroom and it runs up a tree about 25 feet (that's as tall as my tallest ladder)it gets a lot of different frequencies.just make sure to unplug it during a thunderstorm..and its programmable when you find something you want to keep or you can manually type in a freq you may have heard of.there is also a newer model available look at bottom of link....also,C.Crane Co.has their own stuff and these Grundig radios as well.this type radio is pretty good if you just want to find out whats happening around you and the world.when I first got it and hooked it up,I could sit by it and listen for hours but time flies and chore have to be done so,I only devote about an hour a day to listening to it.hope this is not TMI,just trying to help.

https://www.amazon.com/Grundig-Globe-Traveler-Portable-Shortwave/dp/B001QTXKEW

MountainGirl
12-17-2017, 12:11 PM
Mountain Girl,now that I am not battling the snow today with our deadly black assault snowblower,This is what we have, a Grundig globe traveller S/W (short wave) radio.I bought it at Radio shack a few years ago before they failed for $49.99.the link provided (Amazon) is just for information,you can get one a lot cheaper elsewhere probably.it plugs into a wall socket,can use 4 AA batteries, and I am sure since its 6 volt aa 1.5v =6 v.can be adapted for your off grid use. the only antenna I use other than the telescoping antenna on it is a 100 foot piece of copper wire I soldered to an old 6 foot earphone jack that goes outside thru a hole I drilled in a window frame in our second bedroom and it runs up a tree about 25 feet (that's as tall as my tallest ladder)it gets a lot of different frequencies.just make sure to unplug it during a thunderstorm..and its programmable when you find something you want to keep or you can manually type in a freq you may have heard of.there is also a newer model available look at bottom of link....also,C.Crane Co.has their own stuff and these Grundig radios as well.this type radio is pretty good if you just want to find out whats happening around you and the world.when I first got it and hooked it up,I could sit by it and listen for hours but time flies and chore have to be done so,I only devote about an hour a day to listening to it.hope this is not TMI,just trying to help.

https://www.amazon.com/Grundig-Globe-Traveler-Portable-Shortwave/dp/B001QTXKEW

Hi and thanks for this, not TMI at all, and was kinda what I was looking for when I started the thread...but I got so much more thanks to the folks here willing to share and wanting to help. Very much appreciated, all of it. What gauge is the copper wire you ran?

MountainGirl
12-17-2017, 01:41 PM

Having read OSFG's DF thread, several times, my leanings towards 'listening only' have increased.

I was going to ask (over there) just generally..who all has the kind of knowledge and high-tech equipment for doing these things? Like..would local SO/PDs have this capability? Would area military (NGs, etc) ?

Then I realized how irrelevant that question is. They'd be too busy to point anything in our direction. That said...there are, um, private groups within 50 miles of us that undoubtedly have the DF ability that might eventually get around to wandering up here, depending on what kind of an event it is, not to mention the random MacGyver like you guys, who might cobble up a yardstick & wire & string & a tree...and want to come eat our Cheerios. Y'all would be welcome, them not so much. OSFG can find us & Slippy can bring the milk. :)

MI.oldguy
12-17-2017, 04:41 PM
Hi and thanks for this, not TMI at all, and was kinda what I was looking for when I started the thread...but I got so much more thanks to the folks here willing to share and wanting to help. Very much appreciated, all of it. What gauge is the copper wire you ran?

It was 18 Ga.that I salvaged from an old electric motor,I think if I remember right,it was a washing machine motor.they have miles of copper winding in them.I see useable stuff in old junk.

Quote,by MG.
I was going to ask (over there) just generally..who all has the kind of knowledge and high-tech equipment for doing these things? Like..would local SO/PDs have this capability? Would area military (NGs, etc) ?.

Generally,OG Ham radio operators are called "Elmer's" basically some of the older guys that are retired and Jaw all day on their ham (amateur radio).

The term "Elmer"--meaning someone who provides personal guidance and assistance to would-be hams--first appeared in QST in a March 1971 "How's DX" column by Rod Newkirk, W9BRD (now also VA3ZBB). Newkirk called them "the unsung fathers of Amateur Radio."

If you transmit illegally meaning you have some type of ham radio,without a license,they can (most of the time) and will triangulate your location to find you
and normally call the FCC (federal communications commision)and report you for operating without a license.I have heard stories of hams finding people and ripping down antennas,cutting coax wire,etc.

You can buy small ham radios for as little as $39.00 but must be licensed to talk on it and at the lowest level,you can take a test from the FCC and get a technician license to get you started DX'ing (transmitting).

Come SHTF,if that ever happens,the LEO's and Govt.will be too busy.but,they do have the means to find people but you (illegally DX'ing) and others would just be little fish,to them.

DerBiermeister
12-17-2017, 05:15 PM
Mt girl
Hi there

I've toyed with the HAM stuff, was even going to take a class, but after buying a very nice portable unit from Yaesu (which I've since sold), I found that the subject matter is just too damn complicated for my old age. Like you, I've therefore decided that for long range, I'll just stick with receivers.

No matter what else you buy, I would highly recommend that you purchase a very good Police scanner. I have a Uniden BCD436HP. Comes with a rubber-ducky but you can always purchase an enhanced ducky or hook-up to some form of antenna system already covered in this thread.

https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BCD436HP-HomePatrol-Digital-Handheld/dp/B00I33XDAK

Buy used or reconditioned maybe from ebay and save big bucks.

MountainGirl
12-17-2017, 06:50 PM
Mt girl
Hi there

I've toyed with the HAM stuff, was even going to take a class, but after buying a very nice portable unit from Yaesu (which I've since sold), I found that the subject matter is just too damn complicated for my old age. Like you, I've therefore decided that for long range, I'll just stick with receivers.

No matter what else you buy, I would highly recommend that you purchase a very good Police scanner. I have a Uniden BCD436HP. Comes with a rubber-ducky but you can always purchase an enhanced ducky or hook-up to some form of antenna system already covered in this thread.

https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BCD436HP-HomePatrol-Digital-Handheld/dp/B00I33XDAK

Buy used or reconditioned maybe from ebay and save big bucks.

Good ideas, thanks! Is there a HF receiver you like/use?

MountainGirl
12-17-2017, 07:03 PM
It was 18 Ga.that I salvaged from an old electric motor,I think if I remember right,it was a washing machine motor.they have miles of copper winding in them.I see useable stuff in old junk.

Quote,by MG.
I was going to ask (over there) just generally..who all has the kind of knowledge and high-tech equipment for doing these things? Like..would local SO/PDs have this capability? Would area military (NGs, etc) ?.

Generally,OG Ham radio operators are called "Elmer's" basically some of the older guys that are retired and Jaw all day on their ham (amateur radio).

The term "Elmer"--meaning someone who provides personal guidance and assistance to would-be hams--first appeared in QST in a March 1971 "How's DX" column by Rod Newkirk, W9BRD (now also VA3ZBB). Newkirk called them "the unsung fathers of Amateur Radio."

If you transmit illegally meaning you have some type of ham radio,without a license,they can (most of the time) and will triangulate your location to find you
and normally call the FCC (federal communications commision)and report you for operating without a license.I have heard stories of hams finding people and ripping down antennas,cutting coax wire,etc.

You can buy small ham radios for as little as $39.00 but must be licensed to talk on it and at the lowest level,you can take a test from the FCC and get a technician license to get you started DX'ing (transmitting).

Come SHTF,if that ever happens,the LEO's and Govt.will be too busy.but,they do have the means to find people but you (illegally DX'ing) and others would just be little fish,to them.

^^^That settles that. LOL

Right now, it feels like our comms will start with something like the C Crane 2E, and a Ham receiver, and a police scanner. It will be fun to learn (through research and trial & error) and set up the wires.

Thanks, MIoldguy, you've been a great help. :)

juskom95
12-18-2017, 09:07 AM
I was going to ask (over there) just generally..who all has the kind of knowledge and high-tech equipment for doing these things? Like..would local SO/PDs have this capability? Would area military (NGs, etc) ?

Yup. You wouldn't be worth the trouble in any sort of WROL/SHTF situation, at least to LE, military and government.

Then I realized how irrelevant that question is. They'd be too busy to point anything in our direction. That said...there are, um, private groups within 50 miles of us that undoubtedly have the DF ability that might eventually get around to wandering up here, depending on what kind of an event it is, not to mention the random MacGyver like you guys, who might cobble up a yardstick & wire & string & a tree...and want to come eat our Cheerios. Y'all would be welcome, them not so much. OSFG can find us & Slippy can bring the milk. :)

There is a fair chance that just having an antenna or utilities (something capable of internet) would stick out and they already know you're there.

If you're going the far end of secret, really any form of antenna could give you away. . . just as any sort of building, livestock or noise could.

juskom95
12-18-2017, 09:09 AM

A caveat about police scanners and their bands, many are using multiple digital channels now and the old style scanners don't pick them up anymore. It is still possible to pick them up, but you need essentially two antenna's and two receivers, tied into a computer (the encryption). Not illegal to listen (in most cases) but more complicated now.

MI.oldguy
12-18-2017, 10:34 AM
^^^That settles that. LOL

Right now, it feels like our comms will start with something like the C Crane 2E, and a Ham receiver, and a police scanner. It will be fun to learn (through research and trial & error) and set up the wires.

Thanks, MIoldguy, you've been a great help. :)

That does look like a good radio But,it has no scan button.so,you cant scan a particular frequency scale and let it find "stations" you may hear and want to put into memory.read the reviews.
other than that it looks like a good one.I was into scanners and that kind of stuff years ago and a "scan" button is good to have on a S/W radio.C.Crane does have a good selection and a good reputation.

RE,police scanners,I have an old radio shack from years ago and all it will get now is ham,W/X aircraft (we have a large airport nearby)and probably some old military simplex stuff.we used to get all the police and fire but they have now went with digital systems and some PD's are encrypted now and you need an expensive ($400.00 & up)scanner and may need encryption software also.as the bierman said there are some out there and you just add your zip code and go.a company called scannermaster also sell some that are pre-programmed for your specific area.you can also as Juskom95 posted get soft and hardware to scan and listen to stuff on a pc or laptop.plus if you are in a a valley,you will need a conspicuous antenna.

For a S/W radio you can use a conspicuous antenna or a long wire,(100-200 ft copper wire up a tree).

Hope that helps.:bigthumbup:

juskom95
12-18-2017, 11:06 AM
you can also as Juskom95 posted get soft and hardware to scan and listen to stuff on a pc or laptop.plus if you are in a a valley,you will need a conspicuous antenna.

Its actually a pretty cheap setup, but it wouldn't have any kind of range (an issue for MountainGirl I'm assuming), but since one would only be receiving it wouldn't be too bad.

I was 'playing around,' with this a few years ago and here is essentially what you need:
2 x Digital TV antenna's; USB powered and they will act as the receiver.
1 x Computer; my project had an old toughbook I had lying around, but anything would work.
1 x Scanning software; at the time it was free/opensource software so there was a learning curve.

I might have to dig up my old radios now that MountainGirl has gotten me curious.

MountainGirl
12-18-2017, 12:04 PM
That does look like a good radio But,it has no scan button.so,you cant scan a particular frequency scale and let it find "stations" you may hear and want to put into memory.read the reviews.
other than that it looks like a good one.I was into scanners and that kind of stuff years ago and a "scan" button is good to have on a S/W radio.C.Crane does have a good selection and a good reputation.

Hi, below are some the features of the CCrane I showed (post#12,this thread) - is the scanning you're talking about different than these?

Auto-search 5 progammable memories for Ham radio communications; sensitivity/squelch can be adjusted for best results
Patented Twin-Coil Ferrite® AM antenna provides a noticeable boost to weak AM signals
After you select a station, the radio evaluates the signal for several seconds and then locks it in for the best possible signal

Thanks!

MountainGirl
12-18-2017, 12:16 PM
.... digital systems and some PD's are encrypted now and you need an expensive ($400.00 & up)scanner and may need encryption software also.as the bierman said there are some out there and you just add your zip code and go.a company called scannermaster also sell some that are pre-programmed for your specific area.you can also as Juskom95 posted get soft and hardware to scan and listen to stuff on a pc or laptop.plus if you are in a a valley,you will need a conspicuous antenna.

Its actually a pretty cheap setup, but it wouldn't have any kind of range (an issue for MountainGirl I'm assuming), but since one would only be receiving it wouldn't be too bad.

I was 'playing around,' with this a few years ago and here is essentially what you need:
2 x Digital TV antenna's; USB powered and they will act as the receiver.
1 x Computer; my project had an old toughbook I had lying around, but anything would work.
1 x Scanning software; at the time it was free/opensource software so there was a learning curve.

I might have to dig up my old radios now that MountainGirl has gotten me curious.

Thanks, guys, appreciate the info!

Our comms will be something that doesn't require being hooked up to a computer or online at all... for personal paranoia reasons. :D

juskom95
12-18-2017, 12:23 PM
Thanks, guys, appreciate the info!

Our comms will be something that doesn't require being hooked up to a computer or online at all... for personal paranoia reasons. :D

For some of the encrypted emergency channels, you might need a computer if you want to listen. Basically one antenna picks up the encryption/frequency channel, and the other antenna changes frequencies to match. If I can find the old guide I used to read, I'll post it up; if I actually try this I'll post it up too.

A computer which is offline is very secure; unless someone picks it up and walks off with it, its safe.

juskom95
12-18-2017, 12:27 PM
Brief guide/overview.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-19-Police-Radio-Scanner/

Did some digging (boring meeting) and it looks like some of the newer police scanners (this is emergency services as well) should be able to pick up the newer channels etc.

You might be looking at a multi-radio/multi-antenna setup for all this.

MountainGirl
12-18-2017, 12:27 PM
Yup. You wouldn't be worth the trouble in any sort of WROL/SHTF situation, at least to LE, military and government.

There is a fair chance that just having an antenna or utilities (something capable of internet) would stick out and they already know you're there.

If you're going the far end of secret, really any form of antenna could give you away. . . just as any sort of building, livestock or noise could.

Yeah...we got a big ol neon sign flashing up at the top of the hill (solar array). :( The good part of that, though, is there is no road from which it can be seen; someone would have to climb up the right 40' tree before it came into view. Planes could see it, as does the occasional helicopter than flies over...and when the sun angle is just right someone might be getting flashed somewhere...but there's not much to the south of us for 15-20 miles.

I'm happy to learn that it might not be necessary to run something even taller, up there. Any other place around the cabin we could go 40-50 feet before being in sight...even from the primitive road down below us.

Thanks for your reply juskom95; most appreciated.

juskom95
12-18-2017, 12:35 PM
Yeah...we got a big ol neon sign flashing up at the top of the hill (solar array). :( The good part of that, though, is there is no road from which it can be seen; someone would have to climb up the right 40' tree before it came into view. Planes could see it, as does the occasional helicopter than flies over...and when the sun angle is just right someone might be getting flashed somewhere...but there's not much to the south of us for 15-20 miles.

I didn't state my point well (my fault, not enough caffeine)

What I meant is that if you have those nearby who are thinking about raiding in WROL/SHTF, they would have already scouted out your land and possibly even tried something. Not trying to change your mind on transmitting, just understanding that people are either complete crap or very good in bad situations. Unless you've had problems already from your "neighbors," I doubt you would in WROL/SHTF . . . unless you were sporting a para-military group or something!

I'm happy to learn that it might not be necessary to run something even taller, up there. Any other place around the cabin we could go 40-50 feet before being in sight...even from the primitive road down below us.
My radio knowledge is pretty slim, its limited to basics (there are much better on here than me) but if you're not transmitting, you can probably get away with something smaller and it can be concealed relatively easily. So unless someone watched you put it up, you could be pretty anonymous.

MI.oldguy
12-19-2017, 10:10 AM
Hi, below are some the features of the CCrane I showed (post#12,this thread) - is the scanning you're talking about different than these?

Thanks!

I had a moment to look at the pdf file for this radio.it will scan.here's the link for the instructions.looks good to go.

https://www.ccrane.com/files/manual/RAD_CCRADIO2_BLKENH/CCRadio-2E-Enhanced-AM-FM-WX-2-Meter-Ham-Band-Radio-Instruction-Manual.pdf

MountainGirl
12-19-2017, 10:31 AM
I didn't state my point well (my fault, not enough caffeine)

What I meant is that if you have those nearby who are thinking about raiding in WROL/SHTF, they would have already scouted out your land and possibly even tried something. Not trying to change your mind on transmitting, just understanding that people are either complete crap or very good in bad situations. Unless you've had problems already from your "neighbors," I doubt you would in WROL/SHTF . . . unless you were sporting a para-military group or something! There's a few small families in a 3mi radius of us, and they have more stocked than we do lol, and are good folk who keep to themselves like we do - but we're still aware of how things can change quickly when it gets hungry enough... The few more organized "groups" in the region are quite a ways off (40+ miles) with a LOT of easy pickings for them between there and here, meaning they might eventually find their way here but there'd be little reason to, imo.

My radio knowledge is pretty slim, its limited to basics (there are much better on here than me) but if you're not transmitting, you can probably get away with something smaller and it can be concealed relatively easily. So unless someone watched you put it up, you could be pretty anonymous.

Thanks for your reply :)

MountainGirl
12-19-2017, 10:33 AM
I had a moment to look at the pdf file for this radio.it will scan.here's the link for the instructions.looks good to go.

https://www.ccrane.com/files/manual/RAD_CCRADIO2_BLKENH/CCRadio-2E-Enhanced-AM-FM-WX-2-Meter-Ham-Band-Radio-Instruction-Manual.pdf

Thanks for layin eyes on it, Sir.
I think that will be our Christmas present to ourselves!
Yay!
:tree:

DerBiermeister
12-19-2017, 09:21 PM
A caveat about police scanners and their bands, many are using multiple digital channels now and the old style scanners don't pick them up anymore. It is still possible to pick them up, but you need essentially two antenna's and two receivers, tied into a computer (the encryption). Not illegal to listen (in most cases) but more complicated now.

correct. The one I linked to is the newer digital. It ain't cheap, but it's got the right stuff.

MountainGirl
12-27-2017, 09:34 AM
So... I was thinking maybe something like this to start with?

Any SHTF (up to EMP) this might be enough...to listen. Or, we might want more.

https://www.rei.com/product/874373/c-crane-ccradio-2e-enhanced-radio

C Crane CCRadio-2E Enhanced Radio

Features

NOAA Weather Band with loud alert and 2-Meter Ham band help keep you informed during storms and emergencies
5 memory buttons on top of the radio make it easier to change stations rather than front-mounted buttons
Display features a full backlight with 3 levels of brightness; when turned on, it shows the station you are on and then automatically changes to the clock after 15 seconds
The C Crane CCRadio-2E Enhanced Radio features adjustable bass and treble, clock alarm, sleep timer, auto scan, stereo headphone jack, line-input jack and line-output jack
Runs on included AC power cord or 4 "D" batteries (sold separately)

All thoughts welcome.

Called the store and we're getting this; should be in next week. Might end up hooking in an aux antenna... learning times ahead! Thanks again everybody for your input.

edit: it's listed everywhere for around $160, we got it for $112. :)

juskom95
12-27-2017, 09:35 AM
Called the store and we're getting this; should be in next week. Might end up hooking in an aux antenna... learning times ahead! Thanks again everybody for your input. :)

After all this . . . . you definitely need to let us know how it works!

Might not be a bad addition/extra to a radio setup, especially for the 'technological challenged,' in our inner circles.

MountainGirl
12-27-2017, 09:38 AM
Will do, lol. And, this is just our starting point. Who knows what comes next? :D

MI.oldguy
12-28-2017, 10:26 AM
Will do, lol. And, this is just our starting point. Who knows what comes next? :D

It's addictive.you can screw around with it for hours.OOPS,there goes the day!.:ughh:

DerBiermeister
12-29-2017, 09:19 AM
Called the store and we're getting this; should be in next week. Might end up hooking in an aux antenna... learning times ahead! Thanks again everybody for your input.

edit: it's listed everywhere for around $160, we got it for $112. :)

Might I ask where you got it for $112? Amazon wants $169. The enhanced AM signal is a feature I need right now here in the house.

Anyway, that will be a good addition for your survival prep.

MountainGirl
12-29-2017, 11:11 AM
Might I ask where you got it for $112? Amazon wants $169. The enhanced AM signal is a feature I need right now here in the house.

Anyway, that will be a good addition for your survival prep.

Called a friend that works at the REI store in Spokane WA, her discount, and I had an REI gift certificate for $20 to put towards it. REI has it listed right now for $159, they're good folk, great customer service, no probs with shipping.

Slippy
12-29-2017, 11:39 AM
Called a friend that works at the REI store in Spokane WA, her discount, and I had an REI gift certificate for $20 to put towards it. REI has it listed right now for $159, they're good folk, great customer service, no probs with shipping.

I generally like REI. It is a Co-Op and as some of you many know, I support as many co-ops as I can.

My only problem with REI is that many of their employees have a huge infatuation with things like the Global Warming, The Sierra Club, Global Human Rights but believe that the US is a huge violator, anti-Gun/anti 2A views and many more left wing crap.

Other than that I like to mess with the employees.

Been a member for many many years now!

DerBiermeister
12-29-2017, 02:20 PM

Ok thanks. I checked eBay and the prices are mostly well over $200. The only ones for sale at $159 are "pre-owned". Sometimes eBay is a rip off. I think I will do the REI route as it is ten bucks cheaper than Amazon and still has free shipping. Also probably no state tax.

MountainGirl
12-29-2017, 03:01 PM
Ok thanks. I checked eBay and the prices are mostly well over $200. The only ones for sale at $159 are "pre-owned". Sometimes eBay is a rip off. I think I will do the REI route as it is ten bucks cheaper than Amazon and still has free shipping. Also probably no state tax.

:) When you get it we can compare notes, lol. I'm going to run ours without an antenna first, then see what adding one does. Fun stuff!

MountainGirl
12-31-2017, 11:37 AM
... I think I will do the REI route ....

Ran down & picked up the CCrane 2E Radio yesterday, LOVE it.

Now have 4 AM channels instead of 1, 28 FM instead of 7, and the WX is excellent. Need to research what freq the Hams around here use; the 5 pre-set ones prob work great in the area the radio was made...but so far silent. Only thing I dont like about it is the constant "seconds" read on the clock, too much like a stopwatch for me, so after I got everything set up I did a re-set and nuked out the clock setting completely. Dont need to know what time it is; barely know what month it is.

I'll be enjoying this very much now. IF we're far enough away from an EMP event, I'll enjoy 'listening' to whatever might be left out there; any other SHTF it should serve well.

@DerBiermeister Hope you enjoy yours! Let me know if you end up getting it, if you like it, etc.

DerBiermeister
01-01-2018, 04:40 PM
Glad it is working for you. I still haven't pulled the plug. One question: when you are on the HAM channel, does the radio have an auto search/scan? Or do you have to manually turn the dial?

MountainGirl
01-01-2018, 07:10 PM
Glad it is working for you. I still haven't pulled the plug. One question: when you are on the HAM channel, does the radio have an auto search/scan? Or do you have to manually turn the dial?

It has an auto search/scan - for the 5 programmed in frequencies <--which I'll change when I get more info.

DerBiermeister
01-01-2018, 10:01 PM
It has an auto search/scan - for the 5 programmed in frequencies <--which I'll change when I get more info.

Ok thanks -- that helps to seal the deal. What info are you lacking? Doesn't the operating manual explain how to change freqs?

MountainGirl
01-01-2018, 10:13 PM
Ok thanks -- that helps to seal the deal. What info are you lacking? Doesn't the operating manual explain how to change freqs?
It does, and clearly; I have yet to research which frequencies to change them to. Thought I'd try & discover Hams in this region and it might be they use one or more of the pre-set 5...but, so far, all quiet on the homefront.

DerBiermeister
01-01-2018, 10:38 PM
It does, and clearly; I have yet to research which frequencies to change them to. Thought I'd try & discover Hams in this region and it might be they use one or more of the pre-set 5...but, so far, all quiet on the homefront.

That's one of the reasons I stopped pursuing getting my license. There just didn't seem to be much interest in my area. I scanned for months all of the HAM freqs and never once got a hit. I might have done better had I rigged up an outside antenna, which might also be needed with this CC Crane radio.

MountainGirl
01-02-2018, 08:03 AM
That's one of the reasons I stopped pursuing getting my license. There just didn't seem to be much interest in my area. I scanned for months all of the HAM freqs and never once got a hit. I might have done better had I rigged up an outside antenna, which might also be needed with this CC Crane radio.
It might be, yeah. Forgot to mention, there is an auto-scan on the Ham side too, for active frequencies, so far nothing but will try dif times of day, then rig an antenna. It might be little interest in this area as well; very low population anyway - closest Ham prob well over 50 miles away; dont know yet if that makes a diff.

juskom95
01-02-2018, 12:02 PM

Having an outside antenna is a must in some areas. My father dabbled in that when I was younger, and we had a ~20ft pole outside.

DerBiermeister
01-05-2018, 09:50 AM
It might be, yeah. Forgot to mention, there is an auto-scan on the Ham side too, for active frequencies, so far nothing but will try dif times of day, then rig an antenna. It might be little interest in this area as well; very low population anyway - closest Ham prob well over 50 miles away; dont know yet if that makes a diff.

Radio is supposed to arrive today IF the snow storm yesterday hasn't altered FEDEX delivery.
I think I am covered now for a SHTF event. I'll have this radio which claims great reception, my bearcat digital scanner, and a portable VHF transceiver which I use now when out on the bay.

MountainGirl
01-05-2018, 10:26 AM
Radio is supposed to arrive today IF the snow storm yesterday hasn't altered FEDEX delivery.
I think I am covered now for a SHTF event. I'll have this radio which claims great reception, my bearcat digital scanner, and a portable VHF transceiver which I use now when out on the bay.

Very cool! Yes, the AM/FM/WX reception is awesome, for us up here anyway. Still no Ham.
LOL re FedEX. We have to have shipments sent to town - none of the carriers can find us (they've all tried, lol) even our mailbox is a mile down on the county road with others. Works for me. :)

DerBiermeister
01-05-2018, 04:13 PM
Well the package (FEDEX) hasn't even left Indianapolis yet because of the storm. So, might see it tomorrow, but with the historic frigid temperatures this weekend, more than likely it'll be early next week.

DerBiermeister
01-09-2018, 01:42 PM
Very cool! Yes, the AM/FM/WX reception is awesome, for us up here anyway. Still no Ham.
LOL re FedEX. We have to have shipments sent to town - none of the carriers can find us (they've all tried, lol) even our mailbox is a mile down on the county road with others. Works for me. :)

FedEx finally delivered the radio yesterday (Monday) afternoon. Works great. I did have difficulty putting the battery cover back on after putting in the batteries. I had to call Crane and spent about 15 mins with a lady explaining my problem and trying out her suggestions. Turns out, the only way to get the cover back on without breaking the 3 small tabs on the back of it was to lay the cover over the batteries and then first push down and hold the two front release tabs in place while at the same time pushing the three back tabs down but inside the battery compartment until they lined up with the three slots on the back panel. (Hope that makes sense to you.)

The AM signal for my local station (about 30 miles away) is significantly improved. Not perfect, but I can enjoy it now. I haven't really played with the HAM or weather stations yet, but I will.

MountainGirl
01-09-2018, 02:24 PM
FedEx finally delivered the radio yesterday (Monday) afternoon. Works great. I did have difficulty putting the battery cover back on after putting in the batteries. I had to call Crane and spent about 15 mins with a lady explaining my problem and trying out her suggestions. Turns out, the only way to get the cover back on without breaking the 3 small tabs on the back of it was to lay the cover over the batteries and then first push down and hold the two front release tabs in place while at the same time pushing the three back tabs down but inside the battery compartment until they lined up with the three slots on the back panel. (Hope that makes sense to you.)

The AM signal for my local station (about 30 miles away) is significantly improved. Not perfect, but I can enjoy it now. I haven't really played with the HAM or weather stations yet, but I will.

Thanks for the battery cover tip; yes your words made sense to me. I haven't yet put batteries in it - but did take off the cover to get the serial# to register it, and the cover went back on fine - but it might be different with batteries going in. Glad it got there, and glad you like it so far. I've been listening to classical FM stations at night...very peaceful. :)

DerBiermeister
01-09-2018, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the battery cover tip; yes your words made sense to me. I haven't yet put batteries in it - but did take off the cover to get the serial# to register it, and the cover went back on fine - but it might be different with batteries going in. Glad it got there, and glad you like it so far. I've been listening to classical FM stations at night...very peaceful. :)

Just played with the WX stations. From past experience, I know that it is normal to only receive one out of the five stations. That's why NOAA broadcasts the five different freqs, so that they can cover everyone without stepping on each other.
This is a pretty high quality radio with very nice digital features. Seems to be very well made. I am glad you started me down this path. I think others should seriously consider this as part of their overall SHTF preparation. Even without transmitting capability, it still gives you access to the outside world. And with exceptional reception for a radio of this size.

MountainGirl
01-09-2018, 07:12 PM
Just played with the WX stations. From past experience, I know that it is normal to only receive one out of the five stations. That's why NOAA broadcasts the five different freqs, so that they can cover everyone without stepping on each other.
This is a pretty high quality radio with very nice digital features. Seems to be very well made. I am glad you started me down this path. I think others should seriously consider this as part of their overall SHTF preparation. Even without transmitting capability, it still gives you access to the outside world. And with exceptional reception for a radio of this size.

Agree, and so glad you like it. Woulda felt kinda icky if you thought it was junk after my rave reviews lol.

DerBiermeister
01-09-2018, 09:06 PM
Agree, and so glad you like it. Woulda felt kinda icky if you thought it was junk after my rave reviews lol.

Just remembered something ..... did you also buy the cloth/Velcro carry case? If not, I recommend it. It is pretty slick and makes it easy to tote the radio especially when it is loaded with the 4 D cell batteries. Ain't cheap though -- but nothing worth having these days is.

MountainGirl
01-09-2018, 09:32 PM
Just remembered something ..... did you also buy the cloth/Velcro carry case? If not, I recommend it. It is pretty slick and makes it easy to tote the radio especially when it is loaded with the 4 D cell batteries. Ain't cheap though -- but nothing worth having these days is.

Didn't get it but that's a good idea; it is hefty - even empty. Thanks!

franklin
01-12-2018, 08:15 AM
New to the site and just came across this thread. I think the suggestions on portable receivers that include SW etc are a good idea. I have a similar unit in my kit. An external antenna will add tremendous improvement on what you can receive. Antennas used on receivers are not as wavelength dependent as they are for transmitting. A long wire strung to a tree 100 ft away will do a fantastic job. (Assuming the radio has an external antenna connection.) Just be sure to disconnect if lightning is a possibility.

For those that are a little more technical a low cost SDR (software defined radio) might be an option. Using a SDR dongle, wire antenna, and a laptop with the appropriate drivers and software can allow you to tune a wide range of frequencies and modulation types. Even tell if there is transmitted energy in the area. Including digital transmissions that you might not be able to demodulate. (Hear the content.)

This book is a good primer on SDRs and explains how to load the driver used for many of the cheap dongles.

https://www.amazon.com/SDR-Beginners-Using-SDRplay-SDRuno/dp/1977525806/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1515766601&sr=1-4&keywords=SDR

MountainGirl
01-12-2018, 09:23 AM
New to the site and just came across this thread. I think the suggestions on portable receivers that include SW etc are a good idea. I have a similar unit in my kit. An external antenna will add tremendous improvement on what you can receive. Antennas used on receivers are not as wavelength dependent as they are for transmitting. A long wire strung to a tree 100 ft away will do a fantastic job. (Assuming the radio has an external antenna connection.) Just be sure to disconnect if lightning is a possibility.

For those that are a little more technical a low cost SDR (software defined radio) might be an option. Using a SDR dongle, wire antenna, and a laptop with the appropriate drivers and software can allow you to tune a wide range of frequencies and modulation types. Even tell if there is transmitted energy in the area. Including digital transmissions that you might not be able to demodulate. (Hear the content.)

This book is a good primer on SDRs and explains how to load the driver used for many of the cheap dongles.

https://www.amazon.com/SDR-Beginners-Using-SDRplay-SDRuno/dp/1977525806/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1515766601&sr=1-4&keywords=SDR

Hi franklin, thanks for adding the good info to the thread and welcome to the forum :)

juskom95
01-12-2018, 09:25 AM

I thought about turning my old toughbook into an SDR just as a sort of "quick and easy," to use radio that doesn't take up my work bench.

Coppertop
01-22-2018, 06:16 AM
It took me a day- or two- to remember I was looking for this. Here is a study guide for the HAM radio technician test. I know the thread is about listening and you don't need a license to do that, but it has some useful starter information about radios and how everything works.

https://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/2014-no-nonsense-tech-study-guide-v20.pdf

MountainGirl
01-22-2018, 09:17 AM
It took me a day- or two- to remember I was looking for this. Here is a study guide for the HAM radio technician test. I know the thread is about listening and you don't need a license to do that, but it has some useful starter information about radios and how everything works.

https://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/2014-no-nonsense-tech-study-guide-v20.pdf

Thanks, Coppertop, appreciate the info :)

MikeTango
08-17-2018, 09:35 AM
Hey MountainGirl!

Wish I would’ve been here to see your post way back.

Here is the radio receiver I decided on:

https://www.ccrane.com/item/rad_ccradio_skywave/100104/cc_skywave_am_fm_shortwave_weather__alert_and_airb and_portable_travel_radio

CCrane makes good stuff as know by now...

This little radio is a powerhouse! The main reason I decided on this particular unit is it’s small size. Also, like you, I wanted to be able to listen for entertainment.

Unfortunately, the radio you selected only receives the 2 meter ham band. Which is narrow fm and very much line of sight. You will have to be fairly close to a unit that’s transmitting or a repeater to hear anything.

Being able to receive regular am fm and noaa wx is always nice and can be informative as these stations are relatively close by. However, the real fun is listening to distant stations. The SKYWAVE receives 2300 - 26100 kHz shortwave. I’m listening to China Radio International (in English) on 13740 kHz being transmitted from Quivicán Cuba as I type this. I can receive shortwave stations from all over the world without needing any type of external antenna. This radio also receives the air band (as in aviation) in addition to regular am fm and noaa wx.

Anyway, I love it! And it’s very affordable... I plan on purchasing a second one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

BucketBack
08-17-2018, 03:29 PM