PDA

View Full Version : Hawg's Bambi in a jar canned vension

hawgrider
12-17-2017, 03:44 PM
6 or 7 pint jars.

Cubed, strips, or of chunks venison to fill jars but leave one inch head space.

Brown venison in frying pan. Use a little fat to fry as venison is very lean. Keep venison rare in the middle.

Take venison out of frying pan and now make a broth by adding water to drippings boil a couple minutes. Skim off fat.

Add 1/2 teaspoon of pickling salt( no do not use table salt) to each jar
Add a clove of garlic if you want to.

Now pour hot broth over venison in jars fill to one inch head space just covering venison.

Wipe Jar rims put your hot lids on jars adjust rings.

Put in the pressure cooker for 75 minutes at 10 lbs pressure.

If you do quart size jars cook for 90 minutes at 10 lbs pressure

Enjoy

RubberDuck
12-17-2017, 04:10 PM
I may do a few jars this year just for something different.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dwight55
12-17-2017, 06:58 PM
OR, . . . if you are lazy like me.

Cut up the venison, . . . into 1 inch or so cubes, . . . don't be too finicky on the size and shape, . . . 1 inch strips work as well.

Stuff them into clean, sterilized, pint jars, . . . leave 1 inch of head space above the meat, . . . DO NOT add anything but meat to the jars, . . . put clean, new, sterilized lids on them and seal.

Put them in the pressure cooker for 75 minutes at 10# pressure, . . .

And forget all that extra work Hawg does.

Mine turned out real well using my recipe, . . . and it is soooooooooooooooooooo much easier and quicker.

But to each his own.

May God bless,
Dwight

PS- Hawgrider is a masterchef and his version really is better but I don't have the skills he does.

hawgrider
12-17-2017, 07:00 PM
Your version sucks Lol!
Yes pretty sure we went down this road before at PF

Hawg is not lazy and my method is better than yours nah na na na nah!

hawgrider
12-17-2017, 07:06 PM
And BTW make your own damn thread.:kickinballs:

OR, . . . if you are lazy like me.

Cut up the venison, . . . into 1 inch or so cubes, . . . don't be too finicky on the size and shape, . . . 1 inch strips work as well.

Stuff them into clean, sterilized, pint jars, . . . leave 1 inch of head space above the meat, . . . DO NOT add anything but meat to the jars, . . . put clean, new, sterilized lids on them and seal.

Put them in the pressure cooker for 75 minutes at 10# pressure, . . .

And forget all that extra work Hawg does.

Mine turned out real well using my recipe, . . . and it is soooooooooooooooooooo much easier and quicker.

But to each his own.

May God bless,
Dwight

rstanek
12-18-2017, 08:41 AM
I cube mine, fill jar half full, add one teaspoon Lipton onion soup mix, fill almost to top, add another teaspoon onion soup mix, then top off with beef tallow, add a small slice of carrot........not saying this is better, different recipes have different flavors, canned venison is the best......l am always open to different ideas......

Deebo
12-18-2017, 11:54 AM
OK, OK, fella's I will end this conversation by stating, send me a jar of each, Ill pay for shipping and handling, and I will determine the winner.

hawgrider
04-28-2020, 07:49 PM
6 or 7 pint jars.

Cubed, strips, or of chunks venison to fill jars but leave one inch head space.

Brown venison in frying pan. Use a little fat to fry as venison is very lean. Keep venison rare in the middle.

Take venison out of frying pan and now make a broth by adding water to drippings boil a couple minutes. Skim off fat.

Add 1/2 teaspoon of pickling salt( no do not use table salt) to each jar
Add a clove of garlic if you want to.

Now pour hot broth over venison in jars fill to one inch head space just covering venison.

Wipe Jar rims put your hot lids on jars adjust rings.

Put in the pressure cooker for 75 minutes at 10 lbs pressure.

If you do quart size jars cook for 90 minutes at 10 lbs pressure

Enjoy

Mountaingirl use this recipe for canning venison or beef.

You can also just cold pack it and skip the browning part to make it quicker. No freezer no problem start putting up some jars.

RubberDuck
04-28-2020, 08:12 PM
This is my year for canned bambi never done it before but have eaten it many times. They say nono but bite me with the browning method I have eaten right out of the jar.

hawgrider
04-28-2020, 08:53 PM
This is my year for canned bambi never done it before but have eaten it many times. They say nono but bite me with the browning method I have eaten right out of the jar.

Yeah the Ball food nazi's want you to reheat to 165 or so before you eat. But many a folk have eaten right from the jar cold after its canned.

TJC44
04-28-2020, 08:58 PM
Mountaingirl use this recipe for canning venison or beef.

You can also just cold pack it and skip the browning part to make it quicker. No freezer no problem start putting up some jars.

The same with hamburger? Stuff it in a jar, fill with water, and pressure cook? Wouldn't the pressure cooking cook the meat?

hawgrider
04-28-2020, 09:02 PM
The same with hamburger? Stuff it in a jar, fill with water, and pressure cook? Wouldn't the pressure cooking cook the meat?

If you cold pack no broth needed. The meat makes its own juices. Yeah ground beef in a jar is very good.

MountainGirl
04-28-2020, 11:17 PM
Ok - I gotta go buy a pressure canner; hope I can find one.
I have a waterbath/steamer canner, love it. Still cool enough to do this inside in the mornings, too.
The meat pretty much comes out cooked - and it'd be mostly going in stews etc so that's no problem.
I'm thinking hamburger... with a little salt maybe. Is non-iodized okay? I use that for cure, but I can buy pickling salt if need be.

I bet cheap cuts go tender tender - yum!!

THANKS GUYS !!

shootbrownelk
04-28-2020, 11:37 PM
I use the same recipe. I did cold pack and the browning method. When I brown the venison I usually add onions & garlic. And I also add canning or sea salt. No Morton's table salt. Although it's more work, I prefer the browning method and I too eat it right out of the jar.

hawgrider
04-29-2020, 07:18 AM
I use the same recipe. I did cold pack and the browning method. When I brown the venison I usually add onions & garlic. And I also add canning or sea salt. No Morton's table salt. Although it's more work, I prefer the browning method and I too eat it right out of the jar.

Yup me too I prefer the browning over cold pack.

hawgrider
04-29-2020, 07:20 AM
Ok - I gotta go buy a pressure canner; hope I can find one.
I have a waterbath/steamer canner, love it. Still cool enough to do this inside in the mornings, too.
The meat pretty much comes out cooked - and it'd be mostly going in stews etc so that's no problem.
I'm thinking hamburger... with a little salt maybe. Is non-iodized okay? I use that for cure, but I can buy pickling salt if need be.

I bet cheap cuts go tender tender - yum!!

THANKS GUYS !!

The salt is just for flavor in this method. Do not use iodized salt or pickling salt. Use kosher. Yes very very tender.

Get a pressure canner with a weighted gage if you can. Then you don't ever have to test the dial gage. And the pressure and time may change with your elevation.

MountainGirl
04-29-2020, 09:45 AM
The salt is just for flavor in this method. Do not use iodized salt or pickling salt. Use kosher. Yes very very tender.

Get a pressure canner with a weighted gage if you can. Then you don't ever have to test the dial gage. And the pressure and time may change with your elevation.

Will do. Gonna call around this am to see if one is available. If I cant find a good one, I'll wait until I can; all done buying cheap crap. Plus, got my stimulus money this am and it's already burning a hole in my pocket. (-:

Thanks again for your help, Hawg.

hawgrider
04-29-2020, 11:05 AM
Will do. Gonna call around this am to see if one is available. If I cant find a good one, I'll wait until I can; all done buying cheap crap. Plus, got my stimulus money this am and it's already burning a hole in my pocket. (-:

Thanks again for your help, Hawg.

You guys got me fired up I'm going to raw pack some beef today. I'm pretty happy with my 16 gt Presto canner from china mart.

hawgrider
04-29-2020, 04:30 PM
Well there goes another 220.00 bucks. Cold packed 8 pint jars some shaved beef and some cubes with a teaspoon kosher salt 1 clove garlic and 1 wild leek (ramp) 10 lbs pressure for 75 minutes.

And train kept a-rollin all nite long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6wBTGoMyEE

TJC44
04-29-2020, 05:33 PM
You guys got me fired up I'm going to raw pack some beef today. I'm pretty happy with my 16 gt Presto canner from china mart.

Is this the one?
https://www.amazon.com/Presto-1755-16-Quart-Aluminum-Pressure/dp/B000QJJ9NY/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=16+qt+canner&qid=1588199452&sr=8-2

hawgrider
04-29-2020, 06:45 PM
First batch shaved beef.

https://i.imgur.com/XhdGuhJ.jpg

hawgrider
04-29-2020, 06:49 PM
Is this the one?
https://www.amazon.com/Presto-1755-16-Quart-Aluminum-Pressure/dp/B000QJJ9NY/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=16+qt+canner&qid=1588199452&sr=8-2

No I don't like analog gauge. I only like just the weighted gage that way you never have to verify that the analog gauge is actually correct.

This is the one I'm using. Weighted gage only. About 60.00 bucks or so.

https://i.imgur.com/JESiCxG.jpg

TJC44
04-29-2020, 06:58 PM
No I don't like analog gauge. I only like just the weighted gage that way you never have to verify that the analog gauge is actually correct.

This is the one I'm using. Weighted gage only. About 60.00 bucks or so.

https://i.imgur.com/JESiCxG.jpg

Amazon wants $102.61 for them now. I haven't decided.

hawgrider
04-29-2020, 07:17 PM
Amazon wants $102.61 for them now. I haven't decided.

Ouch! They went up.
Probably cheaper at Walmart than Amazon. Looks for a used American pressure canner on Craigslist.

RubberDuck
04-29-2020, 07:34 PM
Looks like new on Ebay $80 plus used $40 plus

hawgrider
04-29-2020, 07:36 PM
Looks like new on Ebay $80 plus used $40 plus

Id go 80 for the win! The American canner goes for like 300+

If money is no object "American" is the last one you'll ever buy.

hawgrider
04-29-2020, 08:50 PM
2nd batch done. These were 1" cubes. Just pulled them out lids are still popping down.

https://i.imgur.com/oOyOcyY.jpg

Coastie dad
04-30-2020, 12:30 PM
We've got a 23 quart with gauge and rattle on it. I can still adjust lower pressure, but the rattle makes sure no boo-boo occurs.

Prices have definitely increased. People at work are looking, and I'm amazed at the gouging...err..price changes.

MountainGirl
04-30-2020, 12:50 PM
Ok I have a question.
Say we run out of propane & cant get more.
Can this be done over an open fire?
No way to monitor/control temp...but if I can get it, and keep it, hot enough for the weighted gague to make the train sound :) for long enough - will that work?
If so - I'd probably need to find one that didn't have plastic handles, etc.

MoreAmmoOK
04-30-2020, 02:36 PM
Any heat source that'll get it hot enough to boil will work. At sea level water will not get hotter than 212F no matter how much heat you put to it. As you raise the pressure the boiling point goes up. As long as you don't put so much heat under it that the steam can't escape fast enough to keep the pressure from getting too high it'll be ok.

hawgrider
04-30-2020, 02:42 PM
Yup I've seen vids of people doing it over brick rocket stoves.

On my second batch of ground beef today. 1more to go for a total 24 pints today.

MountainGirl
04-30-2020, 02:50 PM
Other than serving size preference.. is there a reason for choosing pints over quarts?
It seems like if only so many jars will fit in a canner - the more meat done at one time would be more efficient.
Unless...can you stack the pints in the canner?

hawgrider
04-30-2020, 02:56 PM
Other than serving size preference.. is there a reason for choosing pints over quarts?
It seems like if only so many jars will fit in a canner - the more meat done at one time would be more efficient.
Unless...can you stack the pints in the canner?

Serving size and time is the only difference. Pint 75 minutes Qts 90 minutes. Yes you can stack with a divider plate if the canner is big enough.

MountainGirl
04-30-2020, 03:02 PM
Serving size and time is the only difference. Pint 75 minutes Qts 90 minutes. Yes you can stack with a divider plate if the canner is big enough.

Ok, thanks. AND - I'll start doing the research now for what will work best for us up here. I really appreciate your tolerance with my basic questions - I have a hard time trusting what I read/find online.. and wanted to start with real life experience; which you all have provided. :hail:

hawgrider
04-30-2020, 03:06 PM
Ok, thanks. AND - I'll start doing the research now for what will work best for us up here. I really appreciate your tolerance with my basic questions - I have a hard time trusting what I read/find online.. and wanted to start with real life experience; which you all have provided. :hail:

The manual you'll get with the canner will give you some basics. Main thing for you is your elevation so you might do best with a canner the has both a analog gage and a jiggler reason being if you have to run a goofy pressue like 12 or 13 lbs for you elevation the analog gage may be handy for that vs 5, 10 and 15 lbs on the weighted gage jiggler.

hawgrider
04-30-2020, 07:31 PM
And the last 2 batches of ground beef are cooling down.

https://i.imgur.com/IjaJMRv.jpg

Gambit
05-01-2020, 03:41 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvW33wqBZZk

Coastie dad
05-01-2020, 06:25 AM
The main reason we do pints of ground is serving size. If the ten year old is cooking, she knows one small jar to one box hamburger helper or macaroni and cheese box.
Works the same if she has to explain to her parents how to use the food pantry.
We also inventory several items by the meal. So, we estimate 3 people to 1 pound ground meat.
That helps with figuring how many days for how many people. Remember I'm dealing with immediate family of 14 if everyone is there. So in an few minutes i can determine how long we can operate depending on how many are there.
I know, sounds like overthinking, but I learned that for cross leveling loads in the army when numbers could vary. So with never knowing how many might be at the house if something occurs, I can make quick and accurate estimates in my head.

And if nobody has said it yet, anything other than a wide mouth jar sucks for canning meat.

Innkeeper
05-01-2020, 09:48 AM
The main reason we do pints of ground is serving size. If the ten year old is cooking, she knows one small jar to one box hamburger helper or macaroni and cheese box.
Works the same if she has to explain to her parents how to use the food pantry.
We also inventory several items by the meal. So, we estimate 3 people to 1 pound ground meat.
That helps with figuring how many days for how many people. Remember I'm dealing with immediate family of 14 if everyone is there. So in an few minutes i can determine how long we can operate depending on how many are there.
I know, sounds like overthinking, but I learned that for cross leveling loads in the army when numbers could vary. So with never knowing how many might be at the house if something occurs, I can make quick and accurate estimates in my head.

And if nobody has said it yet, anything other than a wide mouth jar sucks for canning meat.That answered things very well, lots of information there and I like the ease of the calculations.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

MountainGirl
05-01-2020, 02:15 PM
I agree with Inkeeper, CoastieDad, that was a very helpful post. See, I was thinking quarts because we could eat half of it one night (there is and only would be just the two of us) and I could keep the rest in the fridge for the next or another night... but then my overthinking kicked in and: what if the fridge was down? Pints is better..and yes, widemouth.

One thing that has been figured out - is that I'll need to process everything outside. The kitchen part of the main cabin is very small and pushing that much steam into it for 70-90 minutes would create a real problem. The good news is - I get to design/figure out an outdoor set-up to do this :) I've got a heavy single-burner propane cooktop thingy, and I'm thinking a small table for it to set on and the tank could go underneath. Later later - if no propane is available - I hopefully will have enough skills built up that switching over to wood should be no big deal.

Coastie dad
05-01-2020, 03:10 PM
If you get the gauge and weight you can do a wood fire for heat. The biggest trick will be to keep the heat fairly consistent.

hawgrider
08-30-2021, 03:15 PM
Crop damage permits in a jar.

22 pints on my end. RubberDuck did a bunch too.
Last 6 jars still in the pressure canner.

https://i.imgur.com/3cSMQPv.jpg

Crop damage jerky coming soon.

Any Beastie
08-30-2021, 07:10 PM
HAWWWWG! The one thing that'll have my kids crying harder than after Bambi's mommy died is when they learn you put Bambi in a freakin can!

hawgrider
08-30-2021, 09:00 PM
HAWWWWG! The one thing that'll have my kids crying harder than after Bambi's mommy died is when they learn you put Bambi in a freakin can!

Not just one Bambi but 5 Bambi's were taken to save the soy beans and corn. No Mercy! :grim: :biglaugh:

Dwight55
08-30-2021, 10:03 PM
Just a quick note on the discussion . . .

I've got 4 pressure canners . . . one is ancient . . . and isn't used . . . of the other 3, one has a gauge . . . the others just have the jiggler thingys.

I don't think I've got 100 total in the last 2 . . . probably closer to 75 . . .

You'll find em at yard sales and a lot of times at auction houses if it is an estate sale.

I bought a tall one last year at a yard sale for my brother . . . he stacks pints in it and does either 14 or 16 at a time. I think it was 20 bucks.

Just watch out for em . . .

Plus look at your local facebook market place. See em in there sometimes.

May God bless,
Dwight

stevekozak
09-06-2021, 10:06 PM
I need to get some canning going as well.