PDA

View Full Version : motorhome

HuntingHawk
08-05-2014, 03:49 PM
There are two I would consider as a bug out vehicle which would be a class A or C. A class C is like a box truck truck with the engine out in front. Normally small then a class A, carry less weight, but cost less & easier to maintain.

Either can tow a vehicle or utility trailer behind them. A vehicle with a manual transmission can be towed with a tow bar. A front wheel drive vehicle with a dolly if automatic transmission. And an automatic with AWD a trailer. Problem with towing an automatic transmission is the transmission gears turn but no lubrication. There are kits that will allow for transmission lubricating but they will run about $2,000 installed. And the Honda CR-V comes with the unit. The class C motorhome may have a 5,000lb hitch but onlyhave a tow rating of 3,200lbs. So research thoroughly what you might consider.

Class A range from 25-45ft & might have as many as 4 slideouts for extra internal space when parked. They range from a Ford 460 gas engine in the front to a 600HP diesel in the rear. And with a class A you can get a tag or tandem axle which will permit an additional 5-20,000lb load.

Looking at either class you want to look at one that is self contained in that it has water tanks & an onboard generator. Fresh water tank might be 30-100 gallons depending on class, make, & model. Generators are 120VAC only as nothing is installed that uses 240VAC.

A big advantage of a class A is all the basement space. And can easily add more house batteries. The roof of a class C is restrictive but you can add a few smaller solar panels. Can add quite a few panels to a class A.

Decide on your budget & then go to rvtrader or such & shop. Craigs list is another option.

There are advantages & disadvantages to using a motorhome as a bug out vehicle. I'm just posting giving the choice as an option.

Pauls
08-05-2014, 05:10 PM
The biggest disadvantage is that it is a big, slow moving, target. If it is rolling it has fuel, if it is parked it is likely to have propane, water and a generator.

There is little space for storage (compared to a house or even an apartment), no gardening space and no space to raise animals for food.

HuntingHawk
08-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Post is meant as a bug out vehicle.

Don't know of too many jacked up 4X4s that do 200mph so they are also slow moving targets. With a truck or SUV you know where the seats are so where the targets are. Motorhome you only know where the driver is & have no idea how many people are in the motorhome.

HuntingHawk
08-05-2014, 05:18 PM
As per original post, I've no idea why b a s e m e n t would be censored.

Arizona Infidel
08-06-2014, 09:27 AM
A motorhome is not a good idea for a bugout vehicle. They are not made sturdy enough to hold up to what you will encounter. All motorhomes are made to travel on pavement. You will not stay on pavement when bugging out.
What you want to get is an expedition vehicle, or build one yourself out of a 4x4 van.

MI.oldguy
08-06-2014, 10:00 AM
I have always wanted a class b 4x4 like this,It would fill all our needs.better yet,diesel powered.this year would probably have a 7.3...oh well,we will just have to hang in there with our F-350 4x4 pickup.at one time when I was healthier,I was thinking of a retired 20 passenger bus to convert to 4x4 and find a wrecked travel trailer to strip out the appliances and cabinetry.

Imaexpat2
08-06-2014, 11:03 AM
Pretty good point made there. I mean they can go on dirt roads pretty well but they have to be dry well packed and maintained dirt roads. One place where I may take exception from that statement is in regards to a shoolie (school bus converted to a RV). The don't have a basement to make use of like a standard Bus type RV but they do have ground clearance and they can be had pretty cheaply. While not exactly 4 wheel drive it could get through some pretty rugged terrain with that ground clearance.

I have thought really hard about getting one when I upgrade my RV to a larger one. I have seriously thought about striping the small 30 amp RV I have now and using all of the components to add to a shoolie so as to keep retrofit cost low. It would be a good way to "dispose" of my current RV since its not worth selling making it hard for me to unload it. It would make one heck of a bug out vehicle and camping vehicle to camp in mad style with. The rest of the interior could be built to suit. Don't know if I would ever get around to doing such a project but I do think it would have possibilities. Ad with all that roof space, I would imagine I could put a pretty fair amount of solar panels on the top of it as well as that AC unit. A small genset could be added as well. Just thinking outside the box here...

Arklatex
08-06-2014, 11:59 AM
I have always wanted a class b 4x4 like this,It would fill all our needs.better yet,diesel powered.this year would probably have a 7.3...oh well,we will just have to hang in there with our F-350 4x4 pickup.at one time when I was healthier,I was thinking of a retired 20 passenger bus to convert to 4x4 and find a wrecked travel trailer to strip out the appliances and cabinetry.
I wonder if these are still made. I didn't see anything on fords website. I love this idea, I bet the inside is setup nice.

HuntingHawk
08-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Everyday hundreds of motorhomes are driven off pavement to national forest & BLM no service remote camp sites. Just don't drive it like you stole it.

And not everyone's bugout place is a remote place in the mountains. It might be a relative or friend's driveway or yard. Or a rv park that is out of harm's way.

Pauls
08-06-2014, 10:22 PM
An RV park that is out of the way is a magnet for tornados. No prepper in their right mind (or left mind for that matter) would park in an RV park.

HuntingHawk
08-07-2014, 09:02 AM
For us, bug out would be 412 miles from driveway to driveway between our two homes. Our dogs are part of our lives so they must be factored in. We considered a box truck but no access from the cab to the box & would have to add a roof AC & generator for the dogs. Mini bus is expensive & cost about the same as a small class A or large class C MH. The dogs can make the trip in one pee break but not the driver (me). With a MH its only a 5 minute delay for a pee break because just pull into & out of a rest area. No having to stop for food as its already onboard.

There is also the possibility of returning home to find utilities not restored or damage to the home that its not liveable. MH will be mighty handy.

HuntingHawk
08-07-2014, 09:11 AM
Newer motorhomes are being built like Holiday Rambler has done for decades with square tube aluminum framing for the walls & roof. Its light & strong. Newer automobiles are getting away fromframing & going to crush panels & air bags.

MI.oldguy
08-07-2014, 10:11 AM
I wonder if these are still made. I didn't see anything on fords website. I love this idea, I bet the inside is setup nice.

Ford,Dodge,or chevy just sells the van or chassis.one company that comes to mind is Sportsmobile.or some earlier ones I have seen around snow country here are Explorers.I do believe that they only use fords.I do know (I think,ford makes a version of the e-series in a 4x4 model I saw a Geek squad 4x4 ford van that did look factory)there is probably a manufacturer that uses Dodges too,these would come with a solid front axle like a Dana 60 or better in the 3/4 and 1 ton versions. the Chevys would probably be retrofitted with a solid axle as I believe the chevy van is only factory in a 2wd version.there is a forum or two,try boondock rv's.I would sure like to get one.one issue about other motorhomes is,if it gets hit by another vehicle,they tend to just explode!.they are constructed of wood or aluminum with fiberglas or aluminum sheeting.I worked as a rv parts manager for a while and have seen some pretty badly damaged rv's from just minor accidents.at least with this style,there is factory metal around you.

Pauls
08-07-2014, 03:46 PM
There are box vans with a doorway between the cab and back.