PDA

View Full Version : Homemade berkey water filter

Arklatex
08-06-2014, 12:36 PM
I am researching higher capacity filters as I am lacking in this department. I just have lifestraws, backpacking filter and some purification tablets. I got major sticker shock when I saw the prices for the famous berkey system. Further research led to some vague information about building your own out of berkey replacement filters and 5 gallon buckets. Has anybody tried this or know someone who has? From what I've found it can be built for less than 100 dollars. Or is it worth it to pay the big bucks for the real deal?

Sparkyprep
08-06-2014, 06:41 PM
Nothing wrong with a home made system using Berkey filters. Thousands have done this. Check YouTube for about a million how-to videos.

HuntingHawk
08-06-2014, 06:56 PM
Go to amazon & buy Doulton filters, 7 or 11". Then make your own with two food grade 5gal buckets. You want something solid like expanded metal or old BBQ grill rack between the top & bottom buckets to support weight. turn the top bucket over & space to drill two holes for two filters. Turn the bucket over & install the two filters. Lid on the top to keep debris from blowing in. Sit the water catch bucket on the ground, grill ontop of it, & filtering bucket ontop of it & you are set.

I found a small aquarium I set mine up in. And I use the 7" ceramic filters because I use a collander with a pillow case as a prefilter.

BTW, Berky uses the Doulton filters.

MrsInor
08-06-2014, 07:10 PM
So are Doulton filters cheaper than Berkey filters?

Arklatex
08-06-2014, 07:18 PM
Is there any reason they are so expensive?

Arklatex
08-06-2014, 07:19 PM
HH got any pics?

Deebo
08-06-2014, 11:44 PM
I have a plan, to use two five gallon water coolers, with the berkey filters, and to use an air intake valve on the top cooler, becouse of the spin on our, and the insulation. I should probably use five gallon buckets first, then, if it doesn't flow fast enough, use the air valve.
I saw many videos, and the reason I went pressurized was some blue gas can looking water purifier used in Afica, but they were more than a berkey.
I am almost caught up on the yard, still need some roof patch installed, and roll linoleum in bedroom, but I do wanna do this project.
After deer season. Sept 1

Inor
08-06-2014, 11:51 PM
The thing with the Berkeys is that it is the filters that are the expensive part not so much the cans. The cans are about $100 if you take out the cost of the filters. That does not seem too outrageous for two stainless steel cans with a top and a spigot, etc. But it is the cost of the filters that will bleed you white. Unfortunately, making your own with their filters will save the $100 for the cans, but...

HuntingHawk
08-07-2014, 12:15 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/stickypost/wfs4_zpscfdaf758-1.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/stickypost/media/wfs4_zpscfdaf758-1.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/stickypost/wfs3_zps2022620f-1.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/stickypost/media/wfs3_zps2022620f-1.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/stickypost/wfs1_zps744b27c9-1.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/stickypost/media/wfs1_zps744b27c9-1.jpg.html)

HuntingHawk
08-07-2014, 12:33 AM
There are different type filters for different uses & you have to decide what you need to filter out. For most applications, a ceramic filter with activated charcoal will do.

Arklatex
08-07-2014, 09:41 AM
There are different type filters for different uses & you have to decide what you need to filter out. For most applications, a ceramic filter with activated charcoal will do.

Thanks for the pictures. Not the same setup ive been seeing but I like your setup better. Question: does it matter if you use more than 1 filter in your bucket? Im thinking it will just filter faster. How long does your rig take to filter a full 5 gallon bucket?

Arklatex
08-07-2014, 09:48 AM
The thing with the Berkeys is that it is the filters that are the expensive part not so much the cans. The cans are about $100 if you take out the cost of the filters. That does not seem too outrageous for two stainless steel cans with a top and a spigot, etc. But it is the cost of the filters that will bleed you white. Unfortunately, making your own with their filters will save the $100 for the cans, but...

Ive found several places selling the 2 packs of the ceramic filter elements for $60-$65. What are the benefits to the stainless steel cans? Im just guessing here but it might be something to do with long-term usage and keeping it clean and free of "funky tastes" that often get associated with plastic water bottles.

HuntingHawk
08-07-2014, 09:51 AM
Takes four hours with just the one filter. Its a 20,000 gallon filter.

Yes, the main thing more filters does is filtering water faster. But with my setup I can easily do up to 20 gallons per day. Plus I have a compact, portable Doulton kit that will do 2.5 gallons at a time. Plus I've a pressure canner set up as a still that will do 3 gallons at a time.

HuntingHawk
08-07-2014, 09:53 AM
The stainless steel containers seems more marketing then anything. Looks pretty on the kitchen counter.

HuntingHawk
08-07-2014, 09:59 AM
Go to amazon & type in Doulton ceramic filters. Alot cheaper then buying from a stick & brick. That two pack of filters is $40.

Inor
08-07-2014, 10:04 AM
Ive found several places selling the 2 packs of the ceramic filter elements for $60-$65. What are the benefits to the stainless steel cans? Im just guessing here but it might be something to do with long-term usage and keeping it clean and free of "funky tastes" that often get associated with plastic water bottles.

I am sure it is that and some marketing hype.

I bought one because it was a one-stop solution and I do not have to worry about "did I make a mistake" cobbling one together. Plus, it does stack together nicely so it takes a minimum of space in the prep room. Could you build something better, for less money? Absolutely. But I just wanted to be able to check off the "clean water" box on our prepper checklist as quickly as possible. :D

Arklatex
08-07-2014, 10:07 AM
I am sure it is that and some marketing hype.

I bought one because it was a one-stop solution and I do not have to worry about "did I make a mistake" cobbling one together. Plus, it does stack together nicely so it takes a minimum of space in the prep room. Could you build something better, for less money? Absolutely. But I just wanted to be able to check off the "clean water" box on our prepper checklist as quickly as possible. :D
They are pretty I must admit. :D

HuntingHawk
08-07-2014, 03:52 PM
Doulton sales the same thing at about $100 less.

Sarge7402
08-07-2014, 05:50 PM
The backwoodsman http://www.backwoodsmanmag.com/ had an article on building your own water filters. Want to say it was just a couple of months ago. I'd drop them an email or call them they're pretty good about answering

Deebo
08-07-2014, 07:22 PM
You guys are awesome

Slippy
08-07-2014, 09:36 PM
I've got a Royal Berkey but I seriously looked at the Doulton product and wouldn't have a problem buying Doulton. Both are better than drinking unfiltered muck.
http://doultonusa.com/HTML%20pages/portable_systems.htm
http://www.berkeyfilters.com/

HuntingHawk
08-07-2014, 10:46 PM
Good reply Slippy. I agree that either is a good choice. Doulton is the choice for those on a serious budget. Once you build something once its easy to do after that. And that is why I wanted to build one.

HuntingHawk
08-08-2014, 04:13 AM
Colander with pillow case over the 5gal bucket as the prefilter.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/stickypost/pillowcase1_zps816f0c13.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/stickypost/media/pillowcase1_zps816f0c13.jpg.html)

HuntingHawk
08-08-2014, 04:23 AM
You have to have the water before you can purify it so a rain collection system is really important.

omegabrock
08-08-2014, 11:41 AM
activated charcoal...is that a certain type or is it charcoal that has been used?

Pauls
08-08-2014, 02:56 PM
Activated charcoal is most often made from natural fibrous sources. Coconut husks and shells are one of the most common sources, but nut shells of any kind can be used. They are heated to a carbonizing temperature in an oxygen free environment and then activated at lower temperatures using oxygen jets. This creates a lot of pits in the charcoal that increases its surface area. The tiny pits trap gases and chemicals from whatever is being filtered.

Arklatex
08-09-2014, 03:18 PM
I got my filter candles ordered today. I went with the 2 pack of doultons from amazon for $38. I split the cost with a buddy so it was $19 for the filter. Next I'm going to locate the buckets but I have a question: can I use the regular 5 gallon buckets (new and clean) or do I need to use food grade buckets?

ekim
08-09-2014, 07:40 PM
I got my filter candles ordered today. I went with the 2 pack of doultons from amazon for $38. I split the cost with a buddy so it was $19 for the filter. Next I'm going to locate the buckets but I have a question: can I use the regular 5 gallon buckets (new and clean) or do I need to use food grade buckets?

Get food grade buckets or it will leach odors and chemicals from the bucket plastic. Try your local bakery's or food dely in the local grocery store, some times they are free from them.

HuntingHawk
08-10-2014, 07:45 PM
Absolutely need food grade containers. Any grocery that has a bakery it doesn't hurt to go to the bakery & ask. Seems around 7AM is the best time to check.

Deebo
08-10-2014, 10:40 PM
Wendys will give you a pickle bucket,

Just Sayin'
08-10-2014, 10:52 PM
Activated charcoal is most often made from natural fibrous sources. Coconut husks and shells are one of the most common sources, but nut shells of any kind can be used. They are heated to a carbonizing temperature in an oxygen free environment and then activated at lower temperatures using oxygen jets. This creates a lot of pits in the charcoal that increases its surface area. The tiny pits trap gases and chemicals from whatever is being filtered.

Whatever he said!

I'm not about to get in any kind of argument with Pauls... Unless my wife says he's wrong, and then I'll get her logged on and y'all can watch!

Just Sayin'
08-10-2014, 10:54 PM
Wendys will give you a pickle bucket,

Wendy's new pickles really, well, suck...

Hope they don't flavor the water too.

HuntingHawk
08-10-2014, 11:52 PM
I want to add one thing. That is the chemicals added when getting water from the ground. All the stuff used for farming, poisons sprayed along side roads, etc. Stagnant water is the worst such as standing water along side roads.

A deep water well below a limerock layer filters most of that bad stuff out. Easiest stuff to filter is going to be rain water. That is why a rain collection system is going to be your best bet for a fixed location.

HuntingHawk
08-11-2014, 05:03 AM
Doesn't really matter if you build your own or purchase a Berkey or Doulton but get something since clean water is critical to survival. Prefiltering the water such as threw cloth or coffee filters will extend the life of the ceramic filter. A system with two ceramic filters will filter water faster so something to look at if a larger family. And just incase its an extended situation a spare package of two filters is recommended.

Arklatex
08-12-2014, 07:39 PM
This showed up today:

I ordered doultons but amazon shipped British Berkefeld?? Guess they really are the same. Now to find my food grade buckets.

HuntingHawk
08-13-2014, 01:07 AM
Now you can tell people you ordered the more expensive filters. LOL

Arklatex
08-16-2014, 12:13 AM
So in my research I've discovered that the food grade buckets are just #2 hdpe which I know for a fact that my local academy has for cheap. Gonna pick them up tomorrow.

Arklatex
08-16-2014, 12:13 AM

Arklatex
08-16-2014, 12:18 AM
Here is the bottom of a bucket I got for less than $5 at Academy. I use it as a container for my cast net when I catch live bait for fishing. I've found my cheap source. No need to pay a premium for buckets specifically labeled food grade, these are the same.

Arklatex
08-16-2014, 12:19 AM

Oops forgot the pic in my last post. Here it is.

Arklatex
08-16-2014, 11:18 PM
Project complete! I bought 2 food grade buckets and lids (hdpe) from academy sports. Total cost was 12 dollars. Drilled up my holes for the filter and spigot, took about a minute. Rinsed out the filter candle and now I am running 4 gallons of well water to prime the system. The total cost of this filter was less than $35. Needless to say I am amazed. I am going to run some pond water through it next and see how it turns out...

Arklatex
08-16-2014, 11:19 PM
Pics

Inor
08-16-2014, 11:24 PM
Nicely done Ark! Let us know the final results, but regardless that seems like a way cool project!

Arklatex
08-16-2014, 11:29 PM

HuntingHawk
08-17-2014, 01:47 AM
That bottom lid will eventually crack & break. Any type metal like from an old grill will help support the weight og the upper bucket when full of water.

Arklatex
08-17-2014, 01:53 AM
That bottom lid will eventually crack & break. Any type metal like from an old grill will help support the weight og the upper bucket when full of water.
Excellent advice HH. I have an old grill I don't use anymore that is just the right size. Thank you so much for all the great tips on this project. It is truly appreciated!

HuntingHawk
08-17-2014, 03:48 AM
Put the grill above the lid & it will support the upper bucket weight & the lid will keep contaminates out. Make sure to get a full lower bucket to pressure test the spigot.

And now you have something to make family & friends for gifts.

HuntingHawk
08-17-2014, 09:15 AM
The longer a SHTF lasts the more water purification is going to be needed. One will absolutely be needed in the kitchen. So a second ona porch, garage, etc. And you will want separate buckets for collecting water to pour into the purifiers & separate buckets with lids for purified water. My method is upside down buckets with no lids are for contaminated water. Those with lids are for purified water.

Arklatex
08-17-2014, 10:11 AM
I was thinking about that when I bought the buckets. I am either going to label them or perhaps use different colored buckets for collecting water. Maybe both.

HuntingHawk
08-18-2014, 12:11 AM
I recently went threw a several day drill with my water collection, storeage, & purification system when the pressure switch for my well pump went out. Could have manually operated the switch but figured was a good time to check out the backup system.

Takes 4-5 hours to purify 5 gallons of water depending on filter. So before calling it a night start a bucket of water purifying so you will start the day with some potable water. Also to have a bucket of water sitting at the filter that you can immediately start another 5 gallons purifying in the morning.

Arklatex
08-18-2014, 07:27 AM
I recently went threw a several day drill with my water collection, storeage, & purification system when the pressure switch for my well pump went out. Could have manually operated the switch but figured was a good time to check out the backup system.

Takes 4-5 hours to purify 5 gallons of water depending on filter. So before calling it a night start a bucket of water purifying so you will start the day with some potable water. Also to have a bucket of water sitting at the filter that you can immediately start another 5 gallons purifying in the morning.
Well the first run took approximately 5-6 hours. Just ball parking that number. I will put a timer on it and get a real number next set of days off. I'm thinking I need to order another 2 pack of filters and build a couple more of these. A coworker bought the other filter in the 2 pack. Seeing how slow these bad boys are I'm thinking it would be smart to have several. I am aiming to provide water for 3 adults and one child. 3 filters would provide 15-90 gallons daily, hopefully that is enough. I can suppliment with my backpacker filters and lifestraws. These are cheap so it's no big deal. I can build 5 or more for the same price as one berkey.

HuntingHawk
08-18-2014, 02:13 PM
Whether you use 7, 10, or 11" filters will make a difference in time to do a bucket. Keep in mind that as the filters are used the time will only get greater to do a bucket of water.

Making a unit with two filters will only reduce filtering time by about 30%. So single filter seems the way to go to me. You should be able to get 15 gallons with each kit per day. One started 7 or 8AM, one at 1 or 2PM, & one started around 8PM left overnight.

3 or 5 gallon solar water showers heat up water for free giving warm water for shower, washing dishes, etc.

HuntingHawk
08-18-2014, 08:24 PM
You should be able to set up second use water such as from showers, dishes, & laundry for watering plants, trees, etc.

HuntingHawk
08-18-2014, 10:01 PM
As Arklatex can attest, hesitant to make his own. But once completed was quite easy to do.

Montana Rancher
08-18-2014, 11:00 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/stickypost/wfs4_zpscfdaf758-1.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/stickypost/media/wfs4_zpscfdaf758-1.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/stickypost/wfs3_zps2022620f-1.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/stickypost/media/wfs3_zps2022620f-1.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/stickypost/wfs1_zps744b27c9-1.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/stickypost/media/wfs1_zps744b27c9-1.jpg.html)

A great hillbilly setup, not sure why you would use a bucket so obviously soiled and dirty, why not scrub it out with beach and make it look pretty?

HuntingHawk
08-18-2014, 11:25 PM
Because first test I added some sand & potting soil to the rain water to give the filter a good test.

HuntingHawk
08-19-2014, 08:27 AM
Survey says I have all the goodies to make another filter system including another aquarium stand.

HuntingHawk
08-19-2014, 11:22 AM
Spare filter I have is a 7" for the 2.5gal doulton kit I have. So will have to order somemore 10".

HuntingHawk
08-19-2014, 11:23 PM
Doulton 10" Super Sterasyl Ceramic Filter is what is in my handmade rig.

Something to consider is the ceramic part can be scrubbed with a scotch brite pad when they slow down.

Deebo
08-19-2014, 11:54 PM
Once again, you guys are awesome.
I think I read somewhere to presoak the filters in clean water?
With my high calcium water, I STILL need to put one of these on the counter. Running out of water equals death

Pauls
08-20-2014, 05:46 PM
The calcium can be cleaned out of the filter by soaking it in vinegar. No damage to the filter and no residue to hurt the user.

Arklatex
09-16-2014, 09:36 PM
Bump

Jeep
01-04-2015, 08:29 PM
To reiterate on buckets, I picked up six from Burger king several years ago, they are all to happy give them away.

BlackDog
01-05-2015, 04:45 AM
I got my ceramic filters from homespunenvironmental.com
Pretty much the same as Doulton (silver impregnated ceramic filled with activated charcoal) but dome shaped rather than candle. Price is much better than Doulton or Berkey. They also have a model that removes 99% of virus.

RWalls
01-05-2015, 06:40 AM
I got major sticker shock when I saw the prices for the famous berkey system.

You and everyone else! Those Berkeys are for the prepping elite!

Jeep
01-05-2015, 05:46 PM
I don't know, for 2 people its a one time purchase. Plus I don't really know how to build one, plus time and energy spent.