PDA

View Full Version : Fitness for Survival

BugMan
02-05-2014, 10:09 PM
I see a lot of information on many aspects of Preparing for all sorts SHTF scenarios, but I don't see many people getting physically ready to deal with any kind of struggle. What kind of condition will you need to be in to handle the stress of a major change in our lives? What if it's something as simple as having to walk home like many were faced with last week in freezing icy conditions?

Tachammer73
07-28-2014, 06:42 AM
I for one know i am in piss poor shape and need to do something about it, however i just dont see myself passing up the second platter of sausage bisquits and gravy anytime soon. :hungry:

big paul
07-28-2014, 06:49 AM
there is fitness and then there is fitness!! I am certainly fit enough even at my age to walk several miles but I am not fit enough to run anywhere(I haven't run for years....flat feet)I can cycle faster than I can walk and in half the time.

Arklatex
07-28-2014, 10:11 AM
I work in a hot, active environment and sometimes walk up to 9 miles in a 12-hour shift. It definitely keeps me physically fit. Id probably be fat as much as i eat if i had a desk job. If you're bugging out it would be wise to take your bob on a test run for a weekend to see if you're capable of handling the load. You may not be able to rely on the bov to get you out of dodge. The test also let's you know what you need or don't need to carry.

omegabrock
07-28-2014, 02:28 PM
fitness is a huge aspect of my day to day life. from food to the gym. my wife lost over 100 pound last year so it drastically changed our life. i was always the skinny guy...scrawny. now, after years of research and trial/error i have a pretty good grasp on fitness, diet and how the body works (in terms of metabolism and digestion) but i am by no means an expert. i mainly work out for aesthetic reasons, but it doesnt take away from functionality. like big paul said, i could walk/hike anywhere (carrying a large load if needed) but since i got out of the Army, my cardio has lacked. i couldnt run probably more than half a mile right now without carrying a load. i have plans to start back though

Imaexpat2
07-29-2014, 11:02 AM
For an older guy I am in pretty good shape and have had several people remark so, but sadly I am not in near the shape I would like to be especially aerobically which I think is more important in a survival situation. Being reasonably mean and lean is great but I think endurance and your aroebic stamina is of a even greater importance. Its an area where I think many who prep are lacking in, myself included! I am a pretty lazy guy by nature and always felt like if you had enough time to go to the gym then you needed a second job cause you weren't working hard enough at the first one, lol. I have always been pretty strong physically and a bit on the buff side because my job required I be so in order to collect a pay check at the end of the day. Unfortunately I have got in to scrapping matches with people and wasn't able to end them as quick as I needed and found my self pretty damned wore out by the time I got them under control. A few times I thought I was gonna have to call 911 and have them bring me a bottle of oxygen and a difibulator. Yeah I definitnely need to work more on endurance and stamina...But I have always said to people that wanted to "test" me, "don't let the gray hair full ya, I still got mad game"!

SquirrelBait
07-29-2014, 03:13 PM
I have lower back issues. I have joined three gyms, And quit three gyms. I joined a yoga class, And quit a yoga class. All due to pain.

Wish to God I could do the things I used to do before the injury, And subsequent deterioration.

Pauls
07-29-2014, 06:52 PM
I am recovering from back injury and two surgeries. It has been a long haul but it is getting better.

That is all you can do - get a little better each day - don't look back for a year and then compare to see how far you've gotten.

Imaexpat2
07-31-2014, 02:32 PM
Yeah I hear you on that back pain thing...lifting 1000 lbs bombs up on to the wing station of a air plane aint done mine a lot in the way of favors either! It can dang sure take a lot of motivation out of getting active out there.