PDA

View Full Version : "If I'm not here" binder

RockDoc
01-12-2018, 08:31 PM
It always seems like something goes wrong at home the minute my flight lands at ...country x. I've consoled a wife who got stung on the ass by wasps while I was in the French Alps, I walked her through a toilet flapper replacement from Buenos Aires, and had to change brakes as soon as I got back from London......the list literally goes on and on. We laugh about it now every time I pack.

But - similar to a book by Franklin Horton (Narr: Kevin Pierce)(an EMP book), I have slowly began to amass an "if I'm not here" binder, with pics, manuals, lists.... you name it. I'll only share my outline because I haven't sanitized the main body. But I will also share what someone shared with me back (attached) on the other forum- the "sinking ship forum." It's more/less anonymous.

Here's my very initial and very basic outline. I'd really like to share the entire thing, but I can't in its current form. Each of these sections is expanded greatly. I've added numerous pictures and appendices, to include an edible plant book etc. It is quite reflective of what I have learned from many sources.

Wifey is kinda on board. Accepts the idea of preparedness. This binder is kid glove instructions for her. Harvey scared the livin' shit out of her and she was made a little more aware of some of the steps that I have taken to insure my family's well-being.

Anyone else have a similar binder? Care to share tidbits?

Boss just walked into my office yesterday. Leave for London, then Milan the week after next. whooohoo.

• Basics
o Go Bags
 Contents
 SAFE COMBINATIONS
• Scenarios:
o Loss of Power or Large scale Civil Unrest Emergency (EMP, Hurricane, War)- Actions to be taken
o Pandemic – Actions to be taken
o Tornado- Actions to be taken
o Flood- Actions to be taken
• Details on Essentials
o Water sourcing
o Water purification
o Utilities/ Power loss checklist/Power restoration checklist
o Heating options
o Cooling Options
o Lighting options
o Lighting Disciple
o Food sourcing
 Frozen
 Refrigerated
 Canned
 Long term Storage
 Freeze Dried
 MREs
o Cooking options
o Sanitation
o Medical
 Antibiotics
 Sutures
 FAK

o Home Fortification/Emergency repairs
o Communications
o Fuels on Hand
o GrayMan
 Don’t be first, don’t be last, don’t be noticed
o Security
 Firearms
 Ammo
o Sleeping arrangements
o Bug-out staging
o Hiding Preps
• Action plans- Leave (“bug out”)
• Action plans- Stay (“bug in”)

1 week emergency meal plans

Recipes

Pictorial “how to” guides
Rocket stove
Berkey Filter
Starting a generator
etc etc etc...

Coastie dad
01-13-2018, 09:06 AM
When the restaurant was open we had a small manual my wife referred to as "The God Book." It contained all kinds of info on operations and maintenance.
At home now, she pretty much knows how to run everything here, even if we lose power for days she knows how to operate back up systems or shift to off grid type living.
But, I think k the idea is wonderful, and maybe we should put so.ething together for the kids in case something happens to the two of us.

MountainGirl
01-13-2018, 09:36 AM
Hi RockDoc, great share, thanks!

Having been widowed once, I know the possibility of suddenly being up here, alone. (We're very remote, off-grid). I know how the mechanicals etc function & can repair them... my challenge will be whether or not I'm physically able to do some of the things Tom does (we're in our 60s)...but if I take my time, and rig levers/pulleys lol - I think all will be well. Matter of fact, I have a few things stashed for that possibility: different ways of doing something than he has set up now - all in hopes I never have to use them...or we might use them when we're both too old to chop wood - if ya know what I mean. :)

Coastie dad
01-13-2018, 12:31 PM
Wait...ropes, levers, and pulleys when you get too old to "chop wood?"

Aaahhhhh hell........

MountainGirl
01-13-2018, 12:46 PM
Wait...ropes, levers, and pulleys when you get too old to "chop wood?"

Aaahhhhh hell........
what?

Coastie dad
01-13-2018, 12:48 PM
Gambit will explain the uses of ropes, levers, and pulleys when a couple before.es too old to "chop wood."

I am too gentlemanly to discuss it.

MountainGirl
01-13-2018, 02:31 PM
lol Yeah I guess, but I dont see us gettin to old for that :girldancer:

OSFG
01-13-2018, 06:41 PM
Rockdoc.... I have used them all my adult life, in the military (we refer to them as SOP's or other names like hand-over packets), but I have yet to really put together something for my wife and kids. I too Travel a lot, so I will take your post to heart and start working on that...Good Post.

Cause Lord knows Mrs. OSFG can't tell a pair of pliers from a crescent wrench, but she can tell me what to do.

RockDoc
01-13-2018, 06:54 PM
Right.

Mine knows we have a few generators but, would never know how to start. Or hook the one up to propane. I'm starting some step by step tutorials to show.

Like a rocket stove from bricks, some images of similar set ups.......and maybe as important - why a rocket stove over a big fire in the fire pit. So adding some rationale of "why" along with the "what."

MountainGirl
01-13-2018, 08:00 PM
Rockdoc.... I have used them all my adult life, in the military (we refer to them as SOP's or other names like hand-over packets), but I have yet to really put together something for my wife and kids. I too Travel a lot, so I will take your post to heart and start working on that...Good Post.

Cause Lord knows Mrs. OSFG can't tell a pair of pliers from a crescent wrench, but she can tell me what to do.

Right.

Mine knows we have a few generators but, would never know how to start. Or hook the one up to propane. I'm starting some step by step tutorials to show.

Like a rocket stove from bricks, some images of similar set ups.......and maybe as important - why a rocket stove over a big fire in the fire pit. So adding some rationale of "why" along with the "what."

That's great, guys - and can I make a suggestion, from a woman's perspective?

The tutorials are great reminders, for if/when the situation is a bit intense, but hands-on learning is better.

I'd never hooked up a propane tank. Seen it done a couple times decades ago, but that was it. First time up here, I watched Tom. Next two times, I changed it with him standing right there. Now, I can do it unafraid. (I have a very healthy respect for things that can go boom.) I could have had the best detailed how-to manual in the world...and without that hands on first - I would have have never tried to do it. Period. Let me know if you need other examples.

If I might suggest - next time you're home, go blow out the pilot light on the HW tank. Let her watch you light it, then blow it out. Then stand and teach her, with her doing it. Then blow it out again, then she lights it with you standing silent. Then, when it goes out while you're not there - your most awesome tutorials will remind her how to do what she's already done a few times. Knowledge is one thing, confidence another. You can give her both. :)

OSFG
01-14-2018, 09:14 AM
That's great, guys - and can I make a suggestion, from a woman's perspective?

The tutorials are great reminders, for if/when the situation is a bit intense, but hands-on learning is better.

I'd never hooked up a propane tank. Seen it done a couple times decades ago, but that was it. First time up here, I watched Tom. Next two times, I changed it with him standing right there. Now, I can do it unafraid. (I have a very healthy respect for things that can go boom.) I could have had the best detailed how-to manual in the world...and without that hands on first - I would have have never tried to do it. Period. Let me know if you need other examples.

If I might suggest - next time you're home, go blow out the pilot light on the HW tank. Let her watch you light it, then blow it out. Then stand and teach her, with her doing it. Then blow it out again, then she lights it with you standing silent. Then, when it goes out while you're not there - your most awesome tutorials will remind her how to do what she's already done a few times. Knowledge is one thing, confidence another. You can give her both. :)

A great example MG as those can be tricky based on weather. Showing them how to warm it up prior to lighting it and walking away is a great idea. Other things are things like water shut off points. Gas shutoff points, tools, and how to do it.

Again a great thread because some of us might overlook the simple things as we are planning to conquer the world, and have our family be unable to use what you have prepared for them.

MountainGirl
01-14-2018, 09:37 AM
A great example MG as those can be tricky based on weather. Showing them how to warm it up prior to lighting it and walking away is a great idea. Other things are things like water shut off points. Gas shutoff points, tools, and how to do it.

Again a great thread because some of us might overlook the simple things as we are planning to conquer the world, and have our family be unable to use what you have prepared for them.

Thanks, OSFG, and RockDoc? I wasn't disparaging the manual at all, both it and hands-on for some things are needed. Directions to the panel box dont need walking through, lol, but for me sometimes even that might be helpful - especially as the memory goes in my advanced years. :insert pic of crazy old woman with cane: I'm blessed that I'm the 'family' you guys (i.e. my Tom) protects, teaches, prepares, loves. Threads like this make that possible. Glad you're here, RockDoc :)

MI.oldguy
01-14-2018, 09:41 AM
I do have something similar that I have compiled and copied to a micro sd card my wife could use in her phone if necessary.

RocDoc you gave me some ideas to add to it....thanks.

RockDoc
01-14-2018, 12:26 PM
The book series is called "A borrowed World" Series by Franklin Horton. The first book is really the only on relevant to the binder, but overall it's a pretty good read.

Inor
01-15-2018, 01:04 AM
When Mrs Inor and I first started thinking about being self-sufficient (around 1998-99 timeframe), we put together a set of 3-ring binders about a bunch of subjects. Each major subject was in its own binder (First Aid, Cooking, Sanitation, Food Storage, Woodworking, Metalworking, etc.). We add to them as we discover something useful and they now cover two full bookshelves in my office.

But in terms of actual skills that I have and could outline for her, she already knows everything I know, plus some. For the last 7+ months, we have been building a house. When I say "we are building a house", I mean WE are building it. This is not our first rodeo. Prior to beginning this adventure, we spent the previous 20 years remodeling every square inch (inside and out) of the previous house we owned.

In both projects, she has stood shoulder-to-shoulder with me doing every bit of the work I have done. In most of the cases, we have learned together and taught each other. There are VERY few men (and NO millenials) that I would trust as much as Mrs Inor to be swinging a hammer next to me.

This is not say Mrs Inor is a bull-dyke. She is not. She is definitely a girly-girl. But she knows her way around a toolbox and she can shoot the asshole out of a rat at 100 yards. I think I am sitting pretty good if I peg out.

Walter Tyler
01-15-2018, 10:30 AM
At home I have laminated "quick start" guides with photos and circles n arrows n stuff attached to the crap that AINT automated.

At work I have the "OH Shit Walt aint here binder"... It literally says that on the spine. It has instructions on what do to if something big goes down and I cant be reached.
How to secure the building, operate emergency radios, ect... The normal insurance stuff has its own binder, Evac plans, incident reports, bad weather hunkerdowns...

Great Idea to have info readily available to folks that dont operate stuff all the time... sometimes there are hints n tricks to things that arent in the Operators Manual.

Toefoot
01-15-2018, 11:08 AM
When we started our lifestyle as being prepared this was a must for the household, having a go to book although will admit some things the wife refuses to do unless put into a position that she has to do it.

The book also goes through changes, kids leave the nest and age.

Coppertop
01-16-2018, 12:45 PM
This idea is pretty cool. I have a binder with things I don't usually do. Having access to hard copies of these things would be pretty handy. I guess I feel like if the electricity is out, one of the last things I am going to worry about charging is an electronic device. I also think that at some point the electronics are going to fail and without any way to "reload" - that stuff will be lost. I hope that makes sense.

juskom95
01-16-2018, 01:29 PM

This would have been helpful when I was a newly married private (if I were still in, it might be part of the old pre-deployment unofficial 'talks,') but now, my wife is so used to me having to pick up and leave for weeks/months/years at a time, she can handle most things for long enough.

Might still have to put on together for the important things.

RockDoc
01-16-2018, 03:10 PM
At home I have laminated "quick start" guides with photos and circles n arrows n stuff attached to the crap that AINT automated.

At work I have the "OH Shit Walt aint here binder"... It literally says that on the spine. It has instructions on what do to if something big goes down and I cant be reached.
How to secure the building, operate emergency radios, ect... The normal insurance stuff has its own binder, Evac plans, incident reports, bad weather hunkerdowns...

Great Idea to have info readily available to folks that dont operate stuff all the time... sometimes there are hints n tricks to things that arent in the Operators Manual.

Aahhh - the laminated cards - excellent, VERY excellent idea.