PDA

View Full Version : For You Paratroopers

Denton
08-07-2014, 01:05 PM
During basic, my drill sergeant asked me if I wanted to go to airborne school. My response, one that came out too fast to have run through the filter all trainees knew to run all words through, earned me a whole lot of pushups.

Too all you lunatics who think jumping out of planes is the best way to enter a battlefield...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKdBBbU7hxo

rice paddy daddy
08-07-2014, 05:55 PM
My drill sergeant told me "There ain't but two things that come out of the sky - birdshit and fools".
Later on I did volunteer for airborne, but luckily they said my eyesight wasn't good enough.

Innkeeper
08-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Back in 1989 I received a letter in Korea telling me I was being asked if I would like a position in the newly being formed 2/160th at Hunter AAF in Georgia. As a good Hooker Crew Chief the first response out of my mouth was "there is no reason to jump out of a Perfectly Good Aircraft" because one of the requirements listed was going to Airborne school. I declined and that was where My uncle ended up retiring from he started in 1/160th at Campbell, and tried for years to get me to change my mind, while tempting my knees are bad enough without jumping. :wtf: :ughh:

dsdmmat
08-08-2014, 09:39 AM
Back in 1989 I received a letter in Korea telling me I was being asked if I would like a position in the newly being formed 2/160th at Hunter AAF in Georgia. As a good Hooker Crew Chief the first response out of my mouth was "there is no reason to jump out of a Perfectly Good Aircraft" because one of the requirements listed was going to Airborne school. I declined and that was where My uncle ended up retiring from he started in 1/160th at Campbell, and tried for years to get me to change my mind, while tempting my knees are bad enough without jumping. :wtf: :ughh:

I always hated the mandatory yearly brief they made me go to for the 160th, and Delta. Took a lot of NCOs away from the flightline who were not interested in the program anyway. It is my understanding they have changed the briefings to a voluntary basis now.

Innkeeper
08-08-2014, 09:48 AM
It is possible I got out of aviation Back in 1995 , and was just medically retired due to acquired injuries, but there is always a shortage in Aviation, especially in Chinooks, though back in 07 we got a request to our unit for 13P who wanted to volunteer for Korea due to a shortage of qualified FDC's.

Plus "voluntary" is not always so I volunteered once for a combat outpost detachment in '06 while I was home on RR because my chief remembered all my MOS's and knew I would happily want to help out.

SO I would take that understanding with a grain of salt.:yessir:

dsdmmat
08-08-2014, 09:59 AM
It is possible I got out of aviation Back in 1995 , and was just medically retired due to acquired injuries, but there is always a shortage in Aviation, especially in Chinooks, though back in 07 we got a request to our unit for 13P who wanted to volunteer for Korea due to a shortage of qualified FDC's.

Plus "voluntary" is not always so I volunteered once for a combat outpost detachment in '06 while I was home on RR because my chief remembered all my MOS's and knew I would happily want to help out.

SO I would take that understanding with a grain of salt.:yessir:

I always loved being Voluntold.

omegabrock
08-08-2014, 11:17 AM
AIRBORNE! "no reason to jump out of a perfectly good aircraft" - unless you know the air force is flying it lol

Denton
08-08-2014, 11:27 AM
AIRBORNE! "no reason to jump out of a perfectly good aircraft" - unless you know the air force is flying it lol

My dive buddy was a ranger and jump master back in the 70's. He remembers being told by the load master to get everyone off the plane ASAP because the plane was having "issues."

:jester:

omegabrock
08-08-2014, 11:31 AM
hahaha...at bragg i had a jump master that would simulate 'issues' by having us jump on red because...and i quote "you never know what they'll **** up"

Innkeeper
08-08-2014, 05:57 PM

I was a hooker, I ran more then one jump mission out of a helo. Any fool can fly a plane the best pilots fly Helo's and the Elite Fly Chinooks.

OSFG
08-08-2014, 07:28 PM
During basic, my drill sergeant asked me if I wanted to go to airborne school. My response, one that came out too fast to have run through the filter all trainees knew to run all words through, earned me a whole lot of pushups.

Too all you lunatics who think jumping out of planes is the best way to enter a battlefield...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKdBBbU7hxo

Thanks for the walk down memory lane...I can still remember them playing this every day, along with the sound track from Apocalypse Now. I loved this song. over 360 jumps and my knees are shot these days. I never really enjoyed it that much, I was what you call a "Parachute prostitute" ....I Did it for the Money!!!! and because I loved the Job once I landed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PX4Flhw0HSA

omegabrock
08-08-2014, 07:30 PM
360? Damn! I'm barely sitting at 60 myself

OSFG
08-08-2014, 07:41 PM
360? Damn! I'm barely sitting at 60 myself

Well I may have been fibbing about not likeing it to much...Weekend Fun jumps, Hollywood, from a Chinook, Black hawk, or a Huey were actually fun. I jumped out of a hot air balloon and a Container on a UH -54 Skycrane, An AN-2 Colt airplane...(Russian), an MI-8 HIP helicopter, an MI-17 Hind-D, A twin ottor and several other Aircraft. Great memories....but evry jump was a night time, water landing Jump.....which means I closed my eyes, and wet myself on the way down!....LOL. I never counted, I just screamed until my breath ran out and if my main canopy hadn't opened....I'd pull my reserve......:pray:

Innkeeper
08-08-2014, 08:51 PM
That is the problem OSFG getting paid as an Aircraft crew chief I can't get jump pay as well as Flight pay and flight pay is way too much to give up, hence why I never took the offer of Airborne school....plus like I said I already had a bad knee did not need to make it gone completely.

Ricekila
05-19-2016, 08:54 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/Military%20Related%20Stuff/6-May-8_zpsqnjmekmj.jpg

azrancher
05-19-2016, 09:23 PM
Well I'll be honest with all you great soldiers, I only served as a civilian, 35 years in both the Navy and Army, spent many days out at sea, wondering why I was there, doubled bunked with a mechanics mate for a while, then got a nice coleman cot in the radar room, you don't want to go out on deck during a lights out exercise...

fall overboard, you are gone.

Rancher

azrancher
05-19-2016, 09:26 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/Military%20Related%20Stuff/6-May-8_zpsqnjmekmj.jpgWelcome Ricekila...

Rancher

Ricekila
05-19-2016, 09:36 PM
Not tonight -- we gots some P/M-ing to do ?

Jeep
05-20-2016, 05:03 PM
I had the unfortunate experience of being a prior service Marine, now in the National guard, and I was 34 years old when I got to Benning. I was the biggest target in the entire class. And I ain't gonna jump no more

OSFG
05-20-2016, 05:25 PM
Damn, This thread started in 2014 and we still just got two pages into it, with most of the same OP's...We are getting old and slow....Good memories though...good pals here too....so anything worth talking about is worth taking a long time to say it...

And I again give thanks to those who endured so much hardship upon their return and made damn sure that follow on generations of warriors never endured the same...Our Vietnam era vets... I say thank you for your service and you were my inspiration for joining. God Bless yall.

OSFG

Ricekila
05-20-2016, 06:45 PM
As all 5 of my kids got to 18 -- I took them jumping -- even my chicken shit daughter went -- screaming all the way down http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/Smillies/1a246d2f.gif

My second youngest liked it so much --- hes going into his 13 year -- 82 Airborne - O-3 last I heard http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/Smillies/United_States_zpsw0rozfrl.gif

I still tease him that 101st. doesn't take pussy's http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/Smillies/rofl.gif

Jeep
05-20-2016, 08:25 PM
When I got into the guard, I thought the Corps talked a lot of shit about the Army, holy crap the former active duty guys were far worse to each other, especially with nicknames and patch descriptions. They were brutal.

OSFG
05-21-2016, 09:40 AM
When I got into the guard, I thought the Corps talked a lot of shit about the Army, holy crap the former active duty guys were far worse to each other, especially with nicknames and patch descriptions. They were brutal.

Oh absolute;y...But here is the one truth I have told every time... It takes all those jobs to get it done, so everyone should be proud of their job, their work and their service. I have two sons in the Navy as Radio and computer guys and I am extremely proud of them and they know it. My path was mine and I do not judge others against my own experiences.

Gunn
06-18-2016, 01:27 PM
I wasn't bird crap, so I must of been the idiot.

Innkeeper
08-03-2017, 12:22 AM
As all 5 of my kids got to 18 -- I took them jumping -- even my chicken shit daughter went -- screaming all the way down http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/Smillies/1a246d2f.gif

My second youngest liked it so much --- hes going into his 13 year -- 82 Airborne - O-3 last I heard http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/Smillies/United_States_zpsw0rozfrl.gif

I still tease him that 101st. doesn't take pussy's http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/Smillies/rofl.gif

My Uncle was with the 101st in Vietnam, I had the pleasure to be with them in Iraq in '06 4th Bde, 1/506, a few years later I ran into the 1sgt of A co, in a bar Where I live now, he was from Ann Arbor, and his son had married a girl from this area, and he was up visiting, we had a nice chat over a few beers, is always nice running into old brother's in arms. :beerchug:

OSFG
08-03-2017, 06:47 PM
My Uncle was with the 101st in Vietnam, I had the pleasure to be with them in Iraq in '06 4th Bde, 1/506, a few years later I ran into the 1sgt of A co, in a bar Where I live now, he was from Ann Arbor, and his son had married a girl from this area, and he was up visiting, we had a nice chat over a few beers, is always nice running into old brother's in arms. :beerchug:

That is always a good thing....Helps you remember its a damn small world and we aren't as far removed as we may think we are.

Mister Mills
10-11-2017, 03:33 PM
I called it "The Worlds Biggest Roller Coaster" when I was jumping. I was scared on most of the jumps, but others were as smooth as butter.
I have yet to convince anyone to go Airborne though, it scares the Hell out of most people. But I am glad that I did it.

I was in the 19th SFG(A), and it was the only NG unit, that I ever respected, and was proud to be in. They were high quaity. I was 37 when I went through, and I was the oldest guy in class to pass. There was a LTC about my age, but he fell out of 3 runs, and washed out.

OSFG
10-11-2017, 06:29 PM
I called it "The Worlds Biggest Roller Coaster" when I was jumping. I was scared on most of the jumps, but others were as smooth as butter.
I have yet to convince anyone to go Airborne though, it scares the Hell out of most people. But I am glad that I did it.
I was in the 19th SFG(A), and it was the only NG unit, that I ever respected, and was proud to be in. They were high quaity.

Served my first tour in Asscrackastan with some 19th group guys. (Actually we replaced them at Gardez). Great guys all. Do you remember that ISU/AK incident? 2002?

LOL damn fellas ruined it for the rest of us.

OSFG

Unclefred
10-11-2017, 09:21 PM
My old man was 82nd Airborne. I was born at Fort bragg.

Ricekila
10-12-2017, 07:54 AM
Doesn't make you a bad person -- LOL

Mister Mills
10-16-2017, 01:20 PM
Served my first tour in Asscrackastan with some 19th group guys. (Actually we replaced them at Gardez). Great guys all. Do you remember that ISU/AK incident? 2002?

LOL damn fellas ruined it for the rest of us.

OSFG

I was in the 19th from 1992-1998, so I missed Afghan and all the rest. I was 36 when I joined, and when they asked me why I was there, I told them--"This is where the action is".
Up to that point, that unit had never been in action, and they were nearly cut in force reductions. It is safe to say that they won't be cut now, since they have proven themselves.
The Special Forces really are cut from a different cloth, they are just better men for the most part.

Old_SF_Guy
10-17-2017, 06:09 AM
I was in the 19th from 1992-1998, so I missed Afghan and all the rest. I was 36 when I joined, and when they asked me why I was there, I told them--"This is where the action is".
Up to that point, that unit had never been in action, and they were nearly cut in force reductions. It is safe to say that they won't be cut now, since they have proven themselves.
The Special Forces really are cut from a different cloth, they are just better men for the most part.I won't say better. just a different sort of person. I saw a farmer being interview about the war. a young fella...he choked up talking about honoring veterans.... that fella appeared to me to be the very best of men.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk