PDA

View Full Version : Bio sand water filter.

Arklatex
08-12-2014, 03:57 PM
Has anybody seen or heard of these? Seems cheap and easy to make yourself. The video below is showing only one variant of many.

Bio Sand Water Filter Construction DIY step-by-st…: http://youtu.be/55MCXZ1eddM

HuntingHawk
08-12-2014, 05:35 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_sand_filter

omegabrock
08-13-2014, 09:44 AM
i'll have to bookmark this

1moretoy
08-13-2014, 08:20 PM
Pretty cool video.

Montana Rancher
09-01-2014, 12:22 AM
Loser!

How dare you post something so useful!

And how dare the rest of us not respond and respond to keep it active

sand filters will soon become the mainstay of the American water system (well at least for you downstream of Montana, Idaho, and Western Washington)

P.S. I don't know the flow patterns from Michigan and the rest of the east because

wait for it

I don't care

but there is probably a similar story there.

Sparkyprep
09-01-2014, 04:08 PM
This is an excellent thread. I watched the video, and I am considering building a few of these. I have access to 12 inch PVC pipe and fittings, so I may try to make a "jumbo" version of it, in order to increase the flow rate.

Montana Rancher
09-01-2014, 10:53 PM
Here is another (more expensive) but better option if you plan to use ground source water as your prep

http://www.bigberkeywaterfilters.com/berkey-water-filters.html

After years of research it is the best commercial source of water filtration per $ that you can buy

omegabrock
09-02-2014, 11:59 AM
question since my new (hopeful) property will have a well...are these other precautions something that should be on the top of my priority list, or should i focus on other aspects first? filters, and water reserves?

Sparkyprep
09-02-2014, 05:02 PM
If you have a solid, clean well, and you have a way to pump the water out sans utility power, I think you could focus more on other aspects of your preps. We all know that water is #1, but a good well is 80% of the problem solved.

Montana Rancher
09-02-2014, 10:32 PM
question since my new (hopeful) property will have a well...are these other precautions something that should be on the top of my priority list, or should i focus on other aspects first? filters, and water reserves?

I think you should consider them as
1. Your well is probably powered by electricity which you may not have.
2. Your neighbor may not have a well and you could benefit by selling the technology to them to have clean drinking water.
3. 2 is 1 and 1 is none. Plan for backup systems in case your main water source fails.

For instance I have a solar system that runs my 220v well and also have a year round creek that runs through my property. In this case I feel very confident that with my well which is "off the grid" and a Berkey water filtration system, I have redundant backup for potable water.

omegabrock
09-02-2014, 10:54 PM
Definitely want multiple sources, just thinking of prioritizing projects. I know a back up way to get water in case power goes down is a must, hand pump or generator to start is what I'm thinking