PDA

View Full Version : alternative bugout vehicles

HuntingHawk
08-13-2014, 02:53 AM
Lets talk one ton vans & box trucks. These are sold off by the rental companies like U-haul, Penske, Ryder, etc. It is cheaper for them to properly maintain those vehicles then deal with breakdowns so most are not junk as some would state. Even a 14ft box truck will hold several thousand pounds.
Another option is going with one of their enclosed cargo trailers if you have the vehicle to tow it. Box truck you can set up to tow a vehicle behind it. Box truck or cargo trailer you can leave alot of stuff packed in it reducing load time for bugging out.

Another alternative is school buses. There are different classes according to seat capacity. You will have to check with your own state laws whether at a certain size you would need a CDL.
During Katrina New Orleans realized too late they had lots with hundreds of school buses that could have been used to evacuate people. And some may recall the youth that took one & picked up multiple people & headed to Houston. Many communities took note of that & school buses are now part of evacuation plans so there will be more school buses on the road then most think.
School buses are designed to protect the children in a roll over crash so are pretty sturdy. Depending on length they can handle a good load also. Even a mini or half bus can handle several thousand pounds. They are about the size of a small class C motorhome. Even a mini bus can handle a family & supplies. School buses can be rigged to tow a vehicle behind it.

Most buses don't have alot of range but a second fuel tank can be added. And you have the choice of gas or diesel.

dutch16
08-13-2014, 06:14 AM
I think that's a great OP. I've thought that box trucks, in addition to the load capacity, would also be a good platform to convert into living quarters. Of course, no one would be able to ride in the box. I've seen many buses converted into RVs, and like you said, they're sturdy and have a large capacity.

HuntingHawk
08-13-2014, 11:29 AM
Equal quality, box truck & bus would cost about the same. Box truck converted would be like a class C motorhome while bus conversion would be like a class A motorhome. Hard part of a box truck would be making an access from the cab to the box without going outside. But wouldn't encounter such problems with a bus conversion.

HuntingHawk
08-13-2014, 12:28 PM
One thing is deciding if you will tow a vehicle behind the box truck or bus. That is going to add atleast 20ft behind you. With a manual transmission you can put a tow bar on the front. A front wheel drive you can use a dolly. Anything else requires a trailer.

dutch16
08-13-2014, 01:47 PM
One thing is deciding if you will tow a vehicle behind the box truck or bus. That is going to add atleast 20ft behind you. With a manual transmission you can put a tow bar on the front. A front wheel drive you can use a dolly. Anything else requires a trailer.

Yup. I think length would definitely be a limiting factor, especially for people like me; my experience maxes out at 26' flatbed. Driving a full-size bus and towing something behind it would be a daunting task unless they have experience. Of course, I've seen people driving small vehicles who should park and walk :shocked:
Maybe the 1/2 bus might is the way to go with that one.

HuntingHawk
08-13-2014, 05:08 PM
A problem with a full size bus is the same as with a full size class A motorhome. When you make a tight turn the edge of the rear bumper swings out two feet wider then the rear tires. There are driving skills that need practiced with both. So yes, a half bus is an excellent choice.

HuntingHawk
08-13-2014, 06:06 PM
Here is a link for you dutch16:

http://www.rohrerbus.com/pennsylvania-bus-sales/

dutch16
08-14-2014, 06:21 AM
Thanks, HuntingHawk!

Arklatex
08-14-2014, 07:09 AM
Are the uhaul trucks bargain priced?

pheniox17
08-14-2014, 08:50 AM
I do actually have a slight interest in the bus idea (I was actually planning to travel oz in one at one stage and had a full design ready to go, but the costing of a decent bus... Its cheaper to buy a top of the line new 4wd and a quility camping trailer than go bus, and have more fun and goto more areas)

As a bov both size, fuel consumption, and the mission to move it around is a bloody nightmare so be a smart idea to just put the bus in the too hard basket

The "u haul" style box trucks, is a great idea, you can stumble across used 4wd versions (not the company but I know for sure, Ford, Isuzu, and Mitsubishi all have 4wd versions of their 4.5 tonne + range) and with a few modifications can be a useful long term bov, but you again have fuel availability issues, and consumption...

The idea of "large" trucks is a good one, but simply put, the reliance on go-go juice make it as a long term item just silly, but if a A-B (that's home to bol) its easier to make sure you have plenty of fuel for the trip, its easier to armor against small arms, and a good bull bar, and some torque mods, makes your "road block" problems become a ram problem... (Careful tho bull bars arnt perfect) and then your at your bol...

HuntingHawk
08-14-2014, 09:36 AM
Most people won't have the need for a full length 72 passenger school bus but there are several shorter versions down to the mini or half bus. By comparison , the smaller school buses are the same frame & drive train as many box trucks.
One huge advantage of a bus over a box truck is full access while moving & that makes for better communication with everyone.

I don't know what the prices of school buses are in Austrailia but they can be purchased quite reasonable in most parts of the US.

HuntingHawk
08-14-2014, 09:52 AM
On the other hand, if you want to play road warrior then look for military surplus vehicles.

pheniox17
08-14-2014, 05:34 PM
Starting gets past 50k for a road legal one (from memory) as we have strict road standards...

But there will be clearance busses on the market soon the state of wa has made into law all busses must have seatbelts :( (as I said there are massively high standards here)

Also we don't have "yellow school busses" all ours are just "public transport"

HuntingHawk
08-14-2014, 08:34 PM
Starting gets past 50k for a road legal one (from memory) as we have strict road standards...

But there will be clearance busses on the market soon the state of wa has made into law all busses must have seatbelts :( (as I said there are massively high standards here)

Also we don't have "yellow school busses" all ours are just "public transport"

Not sure where you got that information. I found atleast three companies in washington state that sale used buses that include school buses & prices start at about $5,500.

Arklatex
08-14-2014, 08:46 PM
I think he means western Australia. Anyway, that is cheaper than I expected for a bus. Is that a worn out bus price? I need to research this before I make more comments.

HuntingHawk
08-14-2014, 09:35 PM
I think he means western Australia. Anyway, that is cheaper than I expected for a bus. Is that a worn out bus price? I need to research this before I make more comments.

I think most you would find mechanically sound. Not good to have a bus of kids broken down along the road so are mantained fairly well. Best suggestion I can make is to check online for the nearest place near you & see what they have. The cheaper buses I have seen listed were more rust issues or seats abused rather then mechanical issues.

Arklatex
08-14-2014, 09:38 PM
I think most you would find mechanically sound. Not good to have a bus of kids broken down along the road so are mantained fairly well. Best suggestion I can make is to check online for the nearest place near you & see what they have. The cheaper buses I have seen listed were more rust issues or seats abused rather then mechanical issues.
Makes a lot of sense. I can deal with cosmetic stuff for a price like that.

HuntingHawk
08-14-2014, 09:48 PM
Here arklatex. This should get you started.

http://www.usedschoolbusesonline.com/inventory.aspx?pagesize=100

pheniox17
08-15-2014, 03:00 AM
Not sure where you got that information. I found atleast three companies in washington state that sale used buses that include school buses & prices start at about $5,500.

WA = western Australia mate and the price was for private sale busses and the price has most likely dropped, but prices here for trucks, busses, cars, and bikes are extremely high, (new Mack prime mover, starts past 250k)

But also understand, that government agencies that run public transport sell off their assets when it is too costly to maintain them (here anyways)

HuntingHawk
08-15-2014, 04:57 AM
Wa is the abbreviation for Washimgton State.

pheniox17
08-15-2014, 05:13 AM
OK, will remember that, dose that Wa have the same stupid traffic codes like WA like introduction of seatbelts on all busses??

HuntingHawk
08-15-2014, 05:37 AM
OK, will remember that, dose that Wa have the same stupid traffic codes like WA like introduction of seatbelts on all busses??

I don't know as its 3,000 miles from where I live.

HuntingHawk
08-15-2014, 05:43 AM
One nice thing about any length box truck or bus is you are starting with a blank slate so you can set it up to your own needs. Maybe something like half of it as living space & half for supplies. I think I read a 14ft box truck is capable of a 3 ton load. So even after rigging it out for living & added weight of family members you would still have capability of atleast 1.5 ton of supplies.

HuntingHawk
08-16-2014, 02:15 AM
Chevy Stepvan is also an option but GM doesn't have a good track record of late in backing up their products.