PDA

View Full Version : The Long-Forgotten Cheesecloth

hawgrider
03-23-2018, 05:45 AM
The original purpose of cheesecloth was, as you may have guessed from the name, cheese making. It was used to separate liquids and solids in the cheesemaking process. Its flexibility and fine weave allowed for the liquid to be pressed from the solids, and it could then be washed and reused, making it a valuable resource. It was also used to wrap cheeses as they cured, to allow them to stay clean but still be able to breathe.

If you’ve never had cause to use cheesecloth you may be asking yourself, “What exactly is it?” That’s simple. It’s a loosely woven cotton cloth that’s very lightweight and versatile. It comes in different grades with varying tightness of weave. You can often find it at grocery stores, craft stores, or specialty stores. I’ve even found it at the feed store plenty of times.

There are far more uses for cheese cloth that we’ve all but forgotten in this world of throw-away everything,
http://www.askaprepper.com/the-long-forgotten-cheesecloth/

Inor
03-23-2018, 10:26 AM
It is also EXTREMELY useful in the wood shop. Fold it into a pad and use for applying wood stain. Because it is not as tight a weave as normal cloth rags, it does not apply too much stain.

BucketBack
03-23-2018, 11:05 AM
That being said, wearing gloves may limit the amount of stain on your hands

Gambit
03-23-2018, 11:07 AM
i have been meaning to make some home made ricotta cheese
good ricotta needs nothing but some honey and BAM!! its all yum yum in my tum tum

also ricotta cheese cake is badass and I think I once posted that recipe on here, not sure some one needs to remind me