PDA

View Full Version : Immediate first aid

Just Sayin'
08-18-2014, 09:32 PM
I'm curious, what do y'all carry or have available within minutes as far as blow out kits or first aid kits or even some combination of the two?

Every one of our BOB's or GHB's has at the minimum a combination first aid kit and blow out kit. I also personally have a blow out kit everywhere I go. Our INCH bags have first aid kits that are on steroids as well as being able to handle more serious injuries. There is also a blow out kit or IFAK on our vests or belt.

I know the likelyhood of actually having to use a blow out kit is small, but it's nice knowing that if something does happen, the chances that I can survive is better. As far as the general first aid kits, mine have been used more than once in accidents. It's amazing how much an accident victim calms down when a first kit appears and even the most rudimentary first aid is applied.

So, what do you carry everyday?

OSFG
08-18-2014, 10:04 PM
I carry a small bag containing several larger compression bandages, gauze, iodine swaps, alcohol pads, surgical tape, band aids, a couple of tourniquets, some vials of super glue to use as quick stitches, and the some basic meds like aspirine, anti-histamines, antacids, lotion for poisen ivy, silvadine for minor burns, Hydracortezone, and also origel for tooth issues and as a topical anestetic. A 2 foot square of .5 micron cloth that is orange to serve as both a day light signaling device or double as a water purification step. Iodine for wounds or water purification, a signal mirror, a hand held GPS, and some 550 cord and a knife and scissors, etc...Rubber gloves, Vaseline...."Bend over and relax Mr. Just sayin...." JK......So it is my trauma, daily issues bag. I also have in a larger bag a sleeping bag/water proof gortex cover, poncho liner, poncho, and 550 cord. I keep these and a good pair of shoes in my truck all the time. Well , I take the med bacg out during the day because the heat inside can ruin certain meds and stuff, but when I'm in it...so is the med bag. Then I have my bug out bag with all my other stuff. That both the med bag and the overnight bag clip to...This contains my necessaries to make it for about 3-5 days unassisted...and the basics to last indifinately using cave man like survival methods...i.e some hooks and fishing line...cordage for traps and snares, knife for making tools, flint for starting fires...survival book for knowledge....a harmonica. a picture of my family for motivation....and some cash.

HuntingHawk
08-18-2014, 10:16 PM
I have a trauma kit organized in a fishing tackle box kept in my vehicle.

Sparkyprep
08-23-2014, 08:10 PM
I have an IFAK molle mounted on my EDC bag. We have a very large, very well stocked first aid bag that we pretty much take everywhere with us. The is also a small first aid kit as part of wifey's car bag.

Montana Rancher
08-31-2014, 02:00 AM
I carry a small bag containing several larger compression bandages, gauze, iodine swaps, alcohol pads, surgical tape, band aids, a couple of tourniquets, some vials of super glue to use as quick stitches, and the some basic meds like aspirine, anti-histamines, antacids, lotion for poisen ivy, silvadine for minor burns, Hydracortezone, and also origel for tooth issues and as a topical anestetic. A 2 foot square of .5 micron cloth that is orange to serve as both a day light signaling device or double as a water purification step. Iodine for wounds or water purification, a signal mirror, a hand held GPS, and some 550 cord and a knife and scissors, etc...Rubber gloves, Vaseline...."Bend over and relax Mr. Just sayin...." JK......So it is my trauma, daily issues bag. I also have in a larger bag a sleeping bag/water proof gortex cover, poncho liner, poncho, and 550 cord. I keep these and a good pair of shoes in my truck all the time. Well , I take the med bacg out during the day because the heat inside can ruin certain meds and stuff, but when I'm in it...so is the med bag. Then I have my bug out bag with all my other stuff. That both the med bag and the overnight bag clip to...This contains my necessaries to make it for about 3-5 days unassisted...and the basics to last indifinately using cave man like survival methods...i.e some hooks and fishing line...cordage for traps and snares, knife for making tools, flint for starting fires...survival book for knowledge....a harmonica. a picture of my family for motivation....and some cash.

I carry a bit more organized kit than you, let me explain

1. I carry a small bag containing several larger compression bandages, gauze, iodine swaps, alcohol pads, surgical tape, band aids, a couple of tourniquets
2. Some vials of super glue to use as quick stitches.
3. Basic meds like aspirine, anti-histamines, antacids, lotion for poisen ivy, silvadine for minor burns, Hydracortezone
4. Origel for tooth issues and as a topical anestetic.
5. A 2 foot square of .5 micron cloth that is orange to serve as both a day light signaling device or double as a water purification step.
6. Iodine for wounds or water purification,
7. A signal mirror, a hand held GPS, and some 550 cord and a knife and scissors, etc...Rubber gloves, Vaseline...."Bend over and relax Mr. Just sayin...." JK.....

So it is my trauma, daily issues bag.

I also have in a larger bag a sleeping bag/water proof gortex cover, poncho liner, poncho, and 550 cord. I keep these and a good pair of shoes in my truck all the time. Well.

I take the med bacg out during the day because the heat inside can ruin certain meds and stuff, but when I'm in it...so is the med bag.

Then I have my bug out bag with all my other stuff. That both the med bag and the overnight bag clip to.

This contains my necessaries to make it for about 3-5 days unassisted...and the basics to last indifinately using cave man like survival methods...i.e some hooks and fishing line...cordage for traps and snares, knife for making tools, flint for starting fires...survival book for knowledge....a harmonica. a picture of my family for motivation....and some cash.

My Gawd I think we said the same thing but with a forgotten skill called punctuation, I think I said it better.

pheniox17
08-31-2014, 06:16 AM
I have a variety of first aid kids, designed for short to med term treatment of a bulk of issues

For here and now, I'm confidant I can treat a large variety of problems and keep the person alive

Shtf, I lack o2, defib, antibiotics and some kits that can make the difference for med to long term care, but my skill level here is where I like it ATM, if I can't treat you in a shtf situation, then chances are you need the advanced further care that won't be easy to find... so chances are youre dead if i help or not...

Innkeeper
08-31-2014, 10:47 AM
I have an IFAK in each of my Bags as well as a First Aid Kit I put together to cover more of the necessities, somehow the Gov't did not want my CLS bag after the last deployment b/c they dropped it from my hand receipt, I thank them daily for the nice retirement present and this is in the back of my jeep. I am working on building a more robust version for my B.I.L. , I would really like something more like our Combat medics bag for home, I do keep all the needed items in the house as well as back ups, which I rotate into daily use as dates come up.

Arklatex
08-31-2014, 11:00 AM
I have a small trauma kit in my truck. It's got quick clot and Israeli bandages. It complements my basic fak that has gauze, band - aids and antibiotic cream. The basic stuff. SHTF there's a vet down the road from me.

Just Sayin'
08-31-2014, 11:28 AM
Ark reminded me of something. If you own livestock, make friends with your local vet, they will often hook you up with good stuff, like local anesthetics and a fair amount of the stuff our vet gets is the human version, because he buys it cheaper than the animal drug.

1moretoy
08-31-2014, 02:52 PM
I have a small store bought kit in my truck. The only thing I added was one of those mini bottles of vodka like they have on a plane.

Just Sayin'
08-31-2014, 04:57 PM
I have a small store bought kit in my truck. The only thing I added was one of those mini bottles of vodka like they have on a plane.

If I'm ever in an accident, I hope you're the first guy on the scene! I like the way you think! That's my kind of first aid...

:yourock:

1moretoy
08-31-2014, 05:08 PM
If I'm ever in an accident, I hope you're the first guy on the scene! I like the way you think! That's my kind of first aid...

:yourock:

It's to fight off infections:bounce:

Arklatex
08-31-2014, 05:11 PM
It's to fight off infections:bounce:
Good painkiller too. Just don't drink it after you crash your truck. Lol