PDA

View Full Version : Now...hear me out...

Coastie dad
04-24-2018, 08:07 PM
I know y'all are gonna think I'm nuttier than a squirrel turd, but I'm thinking about doing a cattle co-op. I know a few people in the big city that would like to raise a calf or two, but have no place to run them.

I know a handsome feller that has about 15 acres of good pasture that could be put to use for a percentage of the monetary gains when said calves are sold or a percentage of meat or cash when butchered.

The members put a pre determined amount in an "escrow" account for any vet bills and hay needed for wintering. (We used three 5x5 round bales for three calves this year.)

I'm going to limit this co-op to 6 (maybe 8) calves, depending on how the pasture makes. Running 3 calves last year we still had to mow to maintain some control.

Now, go ahead with telling me I'm an idiot.

Sparkyprep
04-24-2018, 08:35 PM
Just might work...

Gambit
04-24-2018, 09:01 PM
I wont ever call you an idiot
but I will call you a loon :crazy:
but that is why me and my inner voices love you brother

Inor
04-24-2018, 09:12 PM
We bought into one of those through a lady at church when we were in MN. It worked out great for us and for the farmer.

Now that we are in AZ, once the house is done I am going to do a trade with our rancher friend for a steer. We will get it at about 500 pounds and just grain it for about 9 months until it is time to butcher. She already offered us a cow for helping in her last 2 round-ups, but we turned her down because she can get in BIG trouble for that.

A Watchman
04-24-2018, 09:41 PM
Its can work out well for all that are involved. Just don't choose any idiots with unrealistic expectations as partners. As you know, when raising livestock an occasional pitfall can exist.

Sasquatch
04-24-2018, 09:56 PM
We bought into one of those through a lady at church when we were in MN. It worked out great for us and for the farmer.

Now that we are in AZ, once the house is done I am going to do a trade with our rancher friend for a steer. We will get it at about 500 pounds and just grain it for about 9 months until it is time to butcher. She already offered us a cow for helping in her last 2 round-ups, but we turned her down because she can get in BIG trouble for that.

Giving you a cow is a crime in AZ?

Coastie dad
04-24-2018, 10:13 PM
Yeah, there's going to be a clause written into the contract that I will make all reasonable effort to keep said calf alive, but chit may occur out of my control. Our biggest problems here are grass tetany, blackleg, and worms. Usually pretty easy to control with a little preventative maintenance.

Inor
04-24-2018, 10:49 PM
Giving you a cow is a crime in AZ?

Oh yeah! Cattle rustling is still a big business here. Plus, the feds tell the ranchers how many cattle they can have in their herd and offer HUGE fines if they exceed. Also, the "under the table" payments are severely frowned upon. You do not **** with the BLM. Those pricks are ruthless and they are judge, jury and executioner.

KnuteFartne
04-24-2018, 11:02 PM
Oh yeah! Cattle rustling is still a big business here. Plus, the feds tell the ranchers how many cattle they can have in their herd and offer HUGE fines if they exceed. Also, the "under the table" payments are severely frowned upon. You do not **** with the BLM. Those pricks are ruthless and they are judge, jury and executioner.Just watch out for aliens coming down and coring their eye and anal cavities.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Walter Tyler
04-25-2018, 07:16 AM
Its can work out well for all that are involved. Just don't choose any idiots with unrealistic expectations as partners. As you know, when raising livestock an occasional pitfall can exist.

A simple "hold Harmless" agreement will do.
https://www.rocketlawyer.com/form/hold-harmless-agreement.rl#/

THIS IS CHEAP:
https://www.nationwide.com/livestock-insurance.jsp

As long as everyone is doing this for the BENEFIT of better/ safer MEAT ya should do fine...
Leave speculation in the cattle market to other fools.

Good Luck.

rice paddy daddy
04-27-2018, 06:21 PM
Every year we buy a quarter cow thru a co-op. From a local cattle operation.
At the beginning of the season we pay, at the end of the season we go pick up the meat - cut, wrapped and ready for the freezer.

My neighbor raises cattle, but he sells them on the hoof to a slaughter house.