PDA

View Full Version : Radio licenses

Just Sayin'
08-30-2014, 01:11 AM
Okay, I don't know much about radios and the different licenses that are legally required to operate Ham or GMRS radios.

But if the SHTF who is really going to care if I have the appropriate license?

As I understand, I don't have to have the correct license to buy a Ham or GMRS radio, so wouldn't it be a smart idea to purchase one as a communication device if the SHTF? They're probably not going to be knocking on my door going, "you don't have a license" to operate this radio.

What are y'alls thoughts here?

James m
08-30-2014, 08:51 AM
Amateur radio people are used by the government during natural disasters and other times too. I also think the people with licensing will jump on people without one. After every sentence you can hear them with thier call sign. W3k bla bla bla. That's all I know about that.

TJC44
08-30-2014, 09:52 AM
Amateur radio is called that because the operators are knowledgeable in the craft. Propagation, antennae, etc. As preppers, we need to consider all possible scenarios, from local disaster to Chaos. The type of radio suitable for one situation may not be in another. And a radio, or a pair, May run $30, or $1000+. I am on Tapatalk, so a lengthy reply is difficult. What I am saying is learn about the subject and think about how it applies to your prep plans.
But then, I guess that's why you're here.

Innkeeper
08-30-2014, 12:34 PM
Really does not take much to get your basic license, get the book( buy or at the Library) study it, take a class if you choose to or not, take the test pass get your license. I have several friends and family member with them, kept putting it off due to being busy with the Army, now I have no excuse, I am studying again and will take my exam later this fall at least the lvl 1...I doubt I will ever get the code level, morse and I just do not get along, too much already in my head keeping me up at nights.

Just Sayin'
08-30-2014, 03:41 PM
Let me rephrase my question? Is there any advantage to actually getting licensed? Will having a license allow me to purchase a particular radio system that I can't otherwise get? I'm not really looking to get into radios, just thinking about having something with a little better reception and transmit capabilities than CB or FMRS if things really go south.

Innkeeper
08-30-2014, 11:10 PM
Well if it is a short term issue that you face better to be licensed then not(pandemic that takes time to get under wraps ie.9-12Mos.) , besides which if your licensed you can be doing it now and get to know the people out there and like prepping and this forum they may have a lot of valuable information to share with you.