PDA

View Full Version : Greenhouse Gardening anyone?

MountainGirl
05-30-2018, 07:01 AM
Because of our extremely limited flat area and solid granite 6-12" under the surface, traditional gardens aren't doable and the critters around here view container plantings as new toys, targets, pet beds & open buffets. So, having no greenhouse experience at all, this seemed the logical thing to try next.

It's 8x12 and I'm amazed they got it up here, took a long time to jockey the curves & through the trees into our last open spot.

We'll probably lower (or take off) the north shelf; as the tomato and other tall plants hit around 3' they'll be moved down to the floor on the north side. I'm gonna stay small this first learning year - a few pots of tomatoes, peppers, some herbs. Also, I want to get a thermometer in there - to see if the natural air/vent system needs a boost. Tom can build one with a small 12v fan up at the peak hooked direct to a solar panel for the hottest/brightest of summer days.

I'll post pics here as things evolve and hopefully grow, lol.

Any thoughts/ideas are more than welcome!

Walter Tyler
05-30-2018, 07:06 AM
Looks GREAT.

I see you have rafters to be able to attach some clear plastic on the inside of the roof to double insulate for the winter.

Any thoughts on heating with a rocket mass heater?

You will be propagating orchids before you know it...

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Temperature-Monitoring-Unlimited-Historical/dp/B01LXGFX5G/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1527681911&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=temp+and+humidity+monitor+history+trackin g

This could be helpful in tracking temp and humidity data. There are cheaper types at Wally World but they dont log the data for as long.

MountainGirl
05-30-2018, 07:16 AM
Thanks, Walter, good idea on the plastic. And it might be that we can grow all winter at some point; this year we'll be thrilled just to eat our own tomatoes, lol. Oh - and strawberries too!

Walter Tyler
05-30-2018, 07:34 AM
http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/tomatoes-in-the-greenhouse-tips-from-traditional-practice-at-audley-end-house-2699/

http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/wp-content/tomatoes-at-audley-end-the-inspiration.jpg

Tips on training tomatoes to grow "up" strings so you dont need stakes or cages.

BucketBack
05-30-2018, 11:32 AM
The new deer blind looks nice

MountainGirl
06-01-2018, 05:37 PM
I got my very first plants potted up, Yay!
1 Fat Mama tomato
1 Beaverlodge slicer tomato
3 Northern King bell peppers <-going to let them go red
& a bunch of Walla Walla onions, planted close, on purpose; want them to come out small.

Here we go!

BucketBack
06-01-2018, 08:12 PM
I just bought a bunch of containers for $4, a Doghouse blind for $2, snow chains for $8, 3 c clamps for 75 cents, receiver that works for $2, but the right channel is fubar, a cube fridge for $5 that works

I'll get some pics of my redneck/SeaBee style of gardening

Inor
06-02-2018, 12:52 AM
That's AWESOME! Please keep us posted on your progress with it as Mrs Inor has a greenhouse high on my TODO list as well, after I finish M.T. Acres and build her an Art Shack. So I am actively seeking ideas.

MountainGirl
06-02-2018, 06:59 AM
Will do :)

BucketBack
06-02-2018, 05:02 PM
I picked up some more containers. I'll post pictures when I can figure out how to block Mom's Trailer

MountainGirl
06-02-2018, 09:07 PM
Since I got a greenhouse, Tom got a new shed. No separate thread for that though, lol. It's 10x12, built by the same outfit that built/delivered my greenhouse, and I hired them to do the site prep too. You can see the slope built up to level. Tom actually had to drop a 18"(dbh) fir at the front right corner to make room...and he used the first 20' as the gravel barrier for the pad. His project now is building shelves inside. I'll tuck pics of that into the thread later... he's in shed heaven. :)

MountainGirl
06-05-2018, 11:53 AM
Wow the greenhouse heats up fast.
Opened her up, rigged a box fan to blow cooler air in through the back window, it brought the temp down from 105 to 85 in about 30 min...and that was with it being 72 outside! Sheesh, lol.

hawgrider
06-05-2018, 11:56 AM
Wow the greenhouse heats up fast.
Opened her up, rigged a box fan to blow cooler air in through the back window, it brought the temp down from 105 to 85 in about 30 min...and that was with it being 72 outside! Sheesh, lol.

You may want to figure out a ventilation system activated by a set temperature high limit in that greenhouse. Because you will get a unexpected burn out of your plants if your are not there to baby sit it all day long all summer long. It gets very hot very fast. and this is only spring...

MountainGirl
06-05-2018, 12:07 PM
You may want to figure out a ventilation system activated by a set temperature high limit in that greenhouse. Because you will get a unexpected burn out of your plants if your are not there to baby sit it all day long all summer long. It gets very hot very fast. and this is only spring...

Yes sir we do indeed. Tom's heading into the city today to get what we need to do just that.

Walter Tyler
06-05-2018, 12:08 PM
https://www.hydroponics.net/c/503

Use this in a pinch for your box fan... till ya upgrade.

Luxpro Programmable Digital Thermostat
Brand: Luxpro
Programmable outlet thermostat allows control any 120 volt device up to 15 amps. Use with a fan or air conditioner for cooling purposes. Also may be used with a space heater for heating purposes. Separate programs for heating and cooling. Setting Range …

https://hydroponics.net/pi/137414-250.jpg

BucketBack
06-07-2018, 01:24 PM
I bought 2-- 4' x 8' dock sections for $40,$8 for a 4" x 4" x 8' , $10 in screws $3 for topsoil, $5 for the containers, most were free

$5 for plants, tomato and pepper with some roma, Parsley,Basil, Oregano, endive started from 3 year old seed

The bowling ppins were $1 each, so I bought all 5. They will be fun to knock off the old porch with the XD45

hawgrider
06-07-2018, 02:36 PM
I bought 2-- 4' x 8' dock sections for $40,$8 for a 4" x 4" x 8' , $10 in screws $3 for topsoil, $5 for the containers, most were free

$5 for plants, tomato and pepper with some roma, Parsley,Basil, Oregano, endive started from 3 year old seed

The bowling ppins were $1 each, so I bought all 5. They will be fun to knock off the old porch with the XD45

No bending over for you.

Good thinking!

Broncosfan
06-08-2018, 09:02 AM
I know a lot of greenhouses use different types of shade cloth on their greenhouse to help keep them cooler. I don't have a huge greenhouse so I just got a couple of rolls of fiberglass window screen and put up on the inside. It cut the heat some but it really helps with the noon overhead sun. It was perfect when moving my transplants from the house to outside. Also I know attitude plays a big factor if you live in a high elevation. Got one of my worst sunburns in the Colorado mountains October with snow on the ground

MountainGirl
06-08-2018, 10:10 PM
I know a lot of greenhouses use different types of shade cloth on their greenhouse to help keep them cooler. I don't have a huge greenhouse so I just got a couple of rolls of fiberglass window screen and put up on the inside. It cut the heat some but it really helps with the noon overhead sun. It was perfect when moving my transplants from the house to outside. Also I know attitude plays a big factor if you live in a high elevation. Got one of my worst sunburns in the Colorado mountains October with snow on the ground

Thats a good idea, thanks. It might be we end up pulling the containers outside in summer months - and the real benefit of the greenhouse is starting early...and extending through fall. Fun times learning!

BucketBack
06-09-2018, 11:13 AM
Deer had been eating my flowers, I ASSume they'll hit up the tomatoes again this year. Better put up a fence. I have a section is stock Outback

MountainGirl
06-09-2018, 01:42 PM
Do you have trouble with squirrels? We just UNfenced the 2 apple trees; didn't stop the deer anyway. The trees came back strong so...whatever happens happens.

BucketBack
06-09-2018, 02:43 PM
Lots of oak trees, so yes squirrels are common

MountainGirl
06-09-2018, 03:17 PM
Dad used to make them peanutbutter sandwiches. Drove mom nuts.

Slippy
06-09-2018, 03:23 PM
Because of our extremely limited flat area and solid granite 6-12" under the surface, traditional gardens aren't doable and the critters around here view container plantings as new toys, targets, pet beds & open buffets. So, having no greenhouse experience at all, this seemed the logical thing to try next.

It's 8x12 and I'm amazed they got it up here, took a long time to jockey the curves & through the trees into our last open spot.

We'll probably lower (or take off) the shelf behind Tom; as the tomato and other tall plants hit around 3' they'll be moved down to the floor on the north side. I'm gonna stay small this first learning year - a few pots of tomatoes, peppers, some herbs. Also, I want to get a thermometer in there - to see if the natural air/vent system needs a boost. Tom can build one with a small 12v fan up at the peak hooked direct to a solar panel for the hottest/brightest of summer days.

I'll post pics here as things evolve and hopefully grow, lol.

Any thoughts/ideas are more than welcome!

That is AWESOME!

Being in the hot humid southeastern US, we don't NEED a Greenhouse but we sure WANT one!

Keep us posted MG!

Broncosfan
06-09-2018, 03:43 PM
[QUOTE=BucketBack;133317]Deer had been eating my flowers, I ASSume they'll hit up the tomatoes again this year. Better put up a fence. I have a section is stock Outback[/QUOTE

Over the past few years I had good luck hanging Bounce dryer sheets in the trees. The "Outdoor Fresh" scent is the only one that I have used. I use clothes pins. It does look a little strange but I don't care about looks I need results. Getting ready to hang some later today as I have noticed what appears to be deer nibbling on the other limbs.

MountainGirl
04-20-2019, 09:29 AM
[QUOTE=BucketBack;133317]Deer had been eating my flowers, I ASSume they'll hit up the tomatoes again this year. Better put up a fence. I have a section is stock Outback[/QUOTE

Over the past few years I had good luck hanging Bounce dryer sheets in the trees. The "Outdoor Fresh" scent is the only one that I have used. I use clothes pins. It does look a little strange but I don't care about looks I need results. Getting ready to hang some later today as I have noticed what appears to be deer nibbling on the other limbs.

Thanks again for this,Broncosfan, the dryer sheets worked. No chomping damage over winter; going to hang fresh ones today. :)

Broncosfan
04-20-2019, 09:55 AM
Glad they worked for you! I found some damage this year. I should have changed them out since we had a really wet winter.

Broncosfan
04-20-2019, 09:56 AM
Transplanting seedlings to peat cups today. About a month until planting time!

shootbrownelk
04-20-2019, 08:20 PM
Our neighbors just built a prefab greenhouse, about 8 x 16 or thereabouts. I'll be watching their progress and picking their brains. It looks really nice. They have piped water and power to it and are building benches inside now. Looks like they have electric attic type fans in both peaks. Dang it. I said I wasn't going to garden anymore.