PDA

View Full Version : Garlic

Broncosfan
06-09-2018, 06:09 PM
Finally got the scapes cut on the garlic that was ready. Ended up with over 5 lbs of scapes. Letting Hawgriders garlic go to seed so I'll have more of it to plant next year. This years scapes are going to be smoked and dehydrated and made into another spice since we still have some frozen from last year. Great addition to making homemade broth for chicken and noodles. 5170

hawgrider
06-09-2018, 07:09 PM
My scapes are just now coming I'll let them curl then snag some. I still have some dehydrated from last year.

RubberDuck
06-09-2018, 07:56 PM
My scapes are just now coming I'll let them curl then snag some. I still have some dehydrated from last year.Those are good dehydrated I use it with select meals for the extra flavor

Broncosfan
06-09-2018, 08:14 PM
My scapes are just now coming I'll let them curl then snag some. I still have some dehydrated from last year.

I noticed that the garlic you gave me the scapes seem to curl more as mine are already curled more than the ones I cut.

Broncosfan
06-09-2018, 08:38 PM
Those are good dehydrated I use it with select meals for the extra flavor

I agree. I made some 2 yrs ago. I just use from a small jar and keep most in a pint canning jar that I vacuum seal. They stay fresh for a long time.

BucketBack
06-10-2018, 05:27 AM
You can eat the green stuff? I dug 15 plants out of the yard before my first cut.
I gave some away, planted 9 and harvested the other cloves

hawgrider
06-16-2020, 05:24 AM
Scapes off broncosfan except for some seed stock. I'm going to try to save you some to put in the ground for this fall and try again.

Piratesailor
06-16-2020, 08:19 AM
You can never have enough garlic...

JustAnotherNut
06-16-2020, 09:16 AM
You can eat the green stuff? I dug 15 plants out of the yard before my first cut.
I gave some away, planted 9 and harvested the other cloves

New one on me too.. Now I'll have to check that out

Broncosfan
06-16-2020, 02:09 PM
Scapes off broncosfan except for some seed stock. I'm going to try to save you some to put in the ground for this fall and try again.

Wife cut some last weekend. Save the large patch for me which I haven't got done. I've been up to my limit trying to work on getting this estate paperwork done and the house house ready to sell. I will be grateful when my life gets somewhere close to back to normal. I simply cannot believe its Mid June

hawgrider
07-19-2021, 11:36 AM
Just pulled it today. Not too bad for moving the garlic to new ground at my kids place. Now it's time to at least triple or more the size of the plot.

https://i.imgur.com/QFrTrjd.jpg

Mad Trapper
07-19-2021, 12:53 PM
Good haul Hawg!!!

If you let the skypes mature, you can plant the seed from those but it will be two years before you get good bulbs.

I always leave a few skypes to mature from the best growing of the crop, and get them in the ground in the fall.

hawgrider
07-19-2021, 01:24 PM
Good haul Hawg!!!

If you let the skypes mature, you can plant the seed from those but it will be two years before you get good bulbs.

I always leave a few skypes to mature from the best growing of the crop, and get them in the ground in the fall.
This year we let the scapes go so we can increase the plot. We planted cloves and seed last fall that's why most our cloves are smaller.
This ground has potential with some cow and horse manure with a splash of chicken shit added in we should do pretty good next year.

Broncosfan
07-19-2021, 02:20 PM
Just pulled it today. Not too bad for moving the garlic to new ground at my kids place. Now it's time to at least triple or more the size of the plot.

https://i.imgur.com/QFrTrjd.jpg

Fantastic looking garlic!

bigwheel
07-19-2021, 06:35 PM
Looking good. Neighbors up in Wilbarger County who raised massive amounts of that wonderful stuff cut the bulbs off and stuffed them in panty hose and hung from the garage rafters. Guess there is more than one way to skin a cat and they wasnt interested in the green part lol.

Gambit
07-19-2021, 06:38 PM
bet you wont have no vampires in your hood

juskom95
07-19-2021, 07:03 PM
Garlic in your diet keeps you health and the bugs away, but man . . . . do you stink sometimes!

hawgrider
07-19-2021, 07:15 PM
Looking good. Neighbors up in Wilbarger County who raised massive amounts of that wonderful stuff cut the bulbs off and stuffed them in panty hose and hung from the garage rafters. Guess there is more than one way to skin a cat and they wasnt interested in the green part lol.

I hang them to dry about 2 weeks or so to let them cure then I trim them and store the in onion sacks.

hawgrider
07-19-2021, 07:17 PM
Garlic in your diet keeps you health and the bugs away, but man . . . . do you stink sometimes!

Knew this guy who ate those garlic pills like candy he reeked!

Mad Trapper
07-19-2021, 07:23 PM
I braid the stalks, 3 head bunches X 3 head bunches. Hang each bunch

I've got last years I'm still using

Mad Trapper
07-19-2021, 07:26 PM
I hang them to dry about 2 weeks or so to let them cure then I trim them and store the in onion sacks.

If you don't have onion sacks enough, paper growcrey bags work great too. Keeps light off and they breathe fine.

I use paper bags for taters to, but get stored in different place in cellar./.......

Michael_Js
07-19-2021, 07:43 PM
We are still on the over 180 bulbs from last year (about 25 heads left)! Still drying the remainder of the 425 total bulbs harvested this year ;) Already trimmed and mesh bag sacked the 1st 125 bulbs. Also, took out 20 of the best heads from that batch for this year's crop!

The remainder batch of 325 heads:

Looks great!
Peace,
Michael J.

juskom95
07-19-2021, 07:46 PM
Knew this guy who ate those garlic pills like candy he reeked!

My mother was in a 'garlic kick,' for a while when I was young. When she put it in the eggs that was kind of too far.

But, we were all very healthy and the bugs left us alone, so . . . . .

shootbrownelk
07-19-2021, 08:44 PM
My mother was in a 'garlic kick,' for a while when I was young. When she put it in the eggs that was kind of too far.

But, we were all very healthy and the bugs left us alone, so . . . . .

Bugs and Vampires repelled.....Win Win!

hawgrider
07-20-2021, 06:10 AM
We are still on the over 180 bulbs from last year (about 25 heads left)! Still drying the remainder of the 425 total bulbs harvested this year ;) Already trimmed and mesh bag sacked the 1st 125 bulbs. Also, took out 20 of the best heads from that batch for this year's crop!

The remainder batch of 325 heads:

Looks great!
Peace,
Michael J. None of the farmers grow garlic round here. I'd like to fill that gap.
Do you sell any of yours?

Mad Trapper
07-20-2021, 11:02 AM
Bugs and Vampires repelled.....Win Win!

If it just worked on liberals!

Michael_Js
07-20-2021, 01:10 PM
None of the farmers grow garlic round here. I'd like to fill that gap.
Do you sell any of yours?

Have never tried selling it...We really do use a LOT of garlic! This batch was more than expected, so we'll be giving family a few dozen heads each ;)

Next to our corn, we keep our garlic close to our...stomachs ;)

We're still eating corn from last year's harvest :)

Peace,
Michael J.

bigwheel
07-20-2021, 04:37 PM
How true. Universal intake is the only way Eyetalians can stand to hang around with each other some say. Sorta like my old Korea Vet pal named Frank who hung at the VFW when asked if he liked Kimchee? He said, "Hell no..cant stand it...but I ate it a lot in Korea. That was the only way a person could tolerate being around the hookers..cause they all ate it." Made sense to me.

Innkeeper
07-20-2021, 05:45 PM
How true. Universal intake is the only way Eyetalians can stand to hang around with each other some say. Sorta like my old Korea Vet pal named Frank who hung at the VFW when asked if he liked Kimchee? He said, "Hell no..cant stand it...but I ate it a lot in Korea. That was the only way a person could tolerate being around the hookers..cause they all ate it." Made sense to me.Nor true some kimchee us good some is bad....like beer not all are created equal some beer sucks. You can't judge everything by one thing.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Sparkyprep
07-20-2021, 06:00 PM
If it just worked on liberals!

Hard work repels those.

Mad Trapper
07-20-2021, 07:54 PM
Hard work repels those.

Work boots too.

bigwheel
07-20-2021, 08:53 PM
Guess I been fortunate. Never bought or made any I didnt like.

Mad Trapper
07-20-2021, 10:13 PM
Bad news today on my garlic. I had a great bed going, put in about 250 in a prepped bed.

I'd kept up on the weeds until recent rains (3+ weeks). I let the lambs quarters grow thinking I'd harvest both at same time............

Well, we finally had two days without rain and I went into the patch. About EVERY decent garlic head had been eaten by Voles. Never had the little mother FRs go after garlic in 50 years. I'll be short on storage garlic for first time in many years.

Mouse traps all got sprung each day or foxes ran off with trap and vole, that was a constant daily chore.

I put a bunch of these in the garden today, buried up top about top two inches, with a garbage can cover on top to keep rain and birds off. I slobber the spinner with peanut butter, then stick some sunflower seeds to that. Little basturds never get the bait and get a good swim. I should have done this early spring.

Now I need to clear them out before they go after my other root crops (taters, carrots, beets) and my winter squash.

One more on this. Raining two days ago, sitting inside. Good size bird lands in the spruce by the house, starts on lunch, a vole. GOOD BIRDY (Coopers hawk)!!!

hawgrider
07-21-2021, 06:32 AM
Damn that sucks! In 30 some years I've been growing this strain I've never had any critters eat it.

Mad Trapper
07-21-2021, 07:37 AM
Damn that sucks! In 30 some years I've been growing this strain I've never had any critters eat it.

Onions right next to garlic was untouched. Where each garlic was, there is a vole excavation hole. Never seen this before or had critter problems with garlic. This was patch two months ago, would have been a decent haul.

The deer started in on the potato and tomato tops, been putting as sprinkle of dried blood on those between rains. Stuff they really like, I've got fenced for them and rabbits/chucks. The buckwheat is taking off so that should keep the deer pressure off rest of garden soon.

P.S. I'll check the bucket traps today and hopefully post a bunch of drowned vermin.......

Any Beastie
07-21-2021, 12:15 PM
Bad news today on my garlic. I had a great bed going, put in about 250 in a prepped bed.

I'd kept up on the weeds until recent rains (3+ weeks). I let the lambs quarters grow thinking I'd harvest both at same time............

Well, we finally had two days without rain and I went into the patch. About EVERY decent garlic head had been eaten by Voles. Never had the little mother FRs go after garlic in 50 years. I'll be short on storage garlic for first time in many years.

At least they are probably dying in their little vole holes with some serious cases of watery eyes and the likes.

bigwheel
07-21-2021, 05:34 PM
Dang. Rough news on that. Glad we buy that stuff at the store.

Mad Trapper
07-21-2021, 05:52 PM
Dang. Rough news on that. Glad we buy that stuff at the store.

They have a garlic "festival" in S. Vt each year, might by a stock for the winter there. Wholesalers have the less than supermarket apperance but just as good quality cheap. And they have bands, beers and womin!

bigwheel
07-21-2021, 06:08 PM
Have rigged up that kinda trap to get rats more than once. Never got one. Are we sure it works?

hawgrider
07-15-2022, 01:39 PM
Big garlic harvest this year. The bulbs are huge.
Amazing what full sun and some pony and alpaca crap does.

This is only half of it. Will pull the rest tomorrow.

https://i.imgur.com/yN42O43.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/S84RKmz.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ON1IO53.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/oCbd4eW.jpg

BucketBack
07-15-2022, 02:06 PM
Good looking. some peppers and zucchini here in a few days. New hotspot actually works here.

hawgrider
07-15-2022, 02:58 PM
Half hanging to cure.

https://i.imgur.com/xhZHDfK.jpg

Mad Trapper
07-15-2022, 03:34 PM
Awesome haul Hawg!!!

Mine is still waiting/growing, it's been real dry but just got some rains this week.

Good thing is the F-in voles didn't get it all like last year.

MountainGirl
07-15-2022, 04:38 PM
Half hanging to cure.

https://i.imgur.com/xhZHDfK.jpg

Wow! Thats really great :thumb:
You sure did increase your harvest!! (Go peek at post #11, this thread)

I bet garlic can be grown in pots.
Gonna try that after things settle down here some. :)

hawgrider
07-15-2022, 04:42 PM
Wow! Thats really great :thumb:
You sure did increase your harvest!! (Go peek at post #11, this thread)

I bet garlic can be grown in pots.
Gonna try that after things settle down here some. :)

This was the best year in 30 some years. Never had full sun and pony poop at the last place.

Post 11
Yeah we did increase the size of plot a lot.

Mad Trapper
07-15-2022, 05:11 PM
You need to put in some basil and make pesto.

If you don't put the cheese in it freezes good and makes a great topping for grilled fish. Here is some on fresh bluefish, with homegrowns

Michael_Js
07-15-2022, 09:42 PM
My garlic is ready also, we'll be picking and drying this Sunday ;)

YUM!! Still finishing up the 360+ heads from last year - it's been going bad since we don't have a root cellar to store it in...

Beautiful harvest you got there hawgrider!

hawgrider
07-16-2022, 07:00 AM
My garlic is ready also, we'll be picking and drying this Sunday ;)

YUM!! Still finishing up the 360+ heads from last year - it's been going bad since we don't have a root cellar to store it in...

Beautiful harvest you got there hawgrider!

The garlic stores pretty well up here indoors in onion sacks and lasts almost a year. If it starts getting iffy we dehydrate it and make garlic salt out of it before it goes bad.

BucketBack
07-16-2022, 01:25 PM
What I thought was garlic was a bulbed flower that didn't kill me over the years when used as garlic..............

hawgrider
07-16-2022, 02:42 PM
Pulled the last of it today.

https://i.imgur.com/Tk1Pi4n.jpg

Altogether hanging to cure.

https://i.imgur.com/1CIosKK.jpg

Inor
07-16-2022, 05:28 PM
Nice haul! Your entire family is going to stink for months! :biglaugh:

hawgrider
07-16-2022, 05:58 PM

Part of that has to go back in the ground in the fall. Some we will dehydrate and grind up for garlic powder and garlic salt. The rest we use over the winter. Yup stinky but goood!

bigwheel
07-17-2022, 05:07 PM

Good point. The fact they all eat garlic for every meal is rumored to be the only way Eyetalians can stand to be around each other. Very similar to why a military person needs to learn to eat Kimchee in Korea. Guy told me he didnt like it but he ate it just to be around the cute working girls cause they all ate it. Small world huh?

Michael_Js
07-17-2022, 07:44 PM
Wow! Mine is no where as large, but, the last batch lasted almost the year. Mine current harvest is drying:

hawgrider
07-17-2022, 08:05 PM
Wow! Mine is no where as large, but, the last batch lasted almost the year. Mine current harvest is drying:

Looks like a pretty good haul to me.

Hardneck?

What type are ya growing.

Michael_Js
07-18-2022, 10:51 AM
Looks like a pretty good haul to me.

Hardneck?

What type are ya growing.

Yes, probably close to 400 heads. Yes, hardneck - not sure of the actual - one if more on the purple side, the other white. I've been using my own to start the next crop each year...

Thank you!

hawgrider
07-18-2022, 11:01 AM
Yes, probably close to 400 heads. Yes, hardneck - not sure of the actual - one if more on the purple side, the other white. I've been using my own to start the next crop each year...

Thank you!

Mine is purple ish also. I just introduced a small amount of white last fall
It is also supposed to be hardneck so I'll see how that keeps over winter compared to my original purple ish strain.