PDA

View Full Version : Quikclot and CAT Tourniquets

Montana Rancher
09-06-2014, 10:33 PM
I was reading a recent post on Survivalblog.com and realized this an area I don't have much experience in.

I stock a lot of medical supplies which I also sell on Ebay for profit to rotate my stock but when addressing battlefield first aid I am woefully inadequate.

Does anyone know a better source for these products than eBay and who has used them and what are your opinions.

I sent a text to my son who is a combat medic in the NG but haven't heard back from him yet as he is working construction in the MT fracking oil fields and doesn't always have cell service.

This is a place I am woefully ignorant of and would appreciate some help

James m
09-06-2014, 10:44 PM
They sell it at Wal-Mart now.

Sparkyprep
09-07-2014, 08:38 AM
I have seen Quick Clot at Wally World, but I have read that you don't want the stuff that is powdered. A better option is the Z folded gauze that has the clotting agent in it. I also have a C-A-T on my med kit, and another on my blow out kit. I have never seen these two items at a store. I ordered all mine from Amazon.

P.s. My blow out kit is from DarkAngelMedical.com. It containers a CAT, and the z folded gauze that I mentioned, as well as a few other things. It is run by someone that is apparently a friend of Beach Cowboy. I can vouch that it is a very high quality kit.

James m
09-07-2014, 08:44 AM
I read that they changed ingredients in the quick clot a few times.

I also think they came out with a quick clot sponge? So you don't have powder everywhere and don't want the powder anyway.

Smokin04
09-07-2014, 09:37 AM
Honestly MR, I find the best deals on them at gun shows. Amazon and the like are priced a bit steep. QC gauze is what we currently use in our IFAK's as they are less messy, and you can wrap compression bandage around it while leaving them in the wound. For gunshot wounds, one of the most convenient treatments is a tampon. I know that sounds weird...and trust me when you have 2 tampons on your MOLLE gear around women...they do kind of look at you funny. If you need help with anything, shoot me a PM. I am a SABC (Self-Aid Buddy Care) Level 1 instructor for the Air Force. I can teach you anything you'd like to know.

MI.oldguy
09-07-2014, 09:46 AM
Walgreens has a version I'm told.we haven't checked it out yet.we picked up(at a pet store for our dog) healing remedies quick blood stopper antiseptic stypic gel.it contains Bismuth subgalate 2.25%,purified water,glycerine,methyl paraben,balsam benzoate.no experation date,I dont think it will expire.I got a nasty slice cutting up cardboard and used some,stung a little bit and bleeding stopped immediately.the ingredients don't look like it would hurt a human.we are going to compare with the stuff for humans soon.we basically just have bandages and gauze,a shit load of abdominal pads from a previous surgery,wound cleaning spray,alky prep pads and antiseptics also.I should check more into it since I am on a blood thinner anyway.

Just Sayin'
09-07-2014, 01:50 PM
I have either CAT and SWAT-T tourniquets on all my gear or kits. Although I have both, I prefer Celox to QuikClot, which is available in both granules in an injector or impregnated gauze.

And I'm like Smokin, I've got tampons in all my blowout kits and first aid kits. They're cheap and effective.

Two places I buy most of my med supplies:

http://www.chinookmed.com/

http://www.tacmedsolutions.com/

RWalls
09-07-2014, 03:26 PM
Anyone seen/used this? I bought a few a wile back from truprep.com it actually looks like a tampon applicator, at least thats what Inor told me they look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqj5we4JoO0

Inor
09-07-2014, 06:48 PM
Any of you that know, please post more info about medical training. Mrs Inor and I both have Advanced First Aid through the American Red Cross and some more specialized training as we were both Ski Patrols. But, we both need a refresher and could stand to upgrade out skills beyond just the basics. I have seen some courses offered through small companies at some outdoor shows etc. But those are crazy expensive and I am not sure of the quality of the instruction. If any of you have experience, I would love to hear about it.

Just Sayin'
09-07-2014, 09:52 PM
Anyone seen/used this? I bought a few a wile back from truprep.com it actually looks like a tampon applicator, at least thats what Inor told me they look like.

I've got several of the Celox applicators in our kits, because they are easier to get into deep wounds than the gauze products. Haven't actually used one yet, but all the studies I've seen show that they are effective in stopping major hemorrhaging.

omegabrock
09-08-2014, 09:07 AM
corn starch works pretty good if you're in a situation and don't have any of this high speed stuff laying around...or was it corn meal, i don't remember which

BugMan
09-08-2014, 05:24 PM

What's the expiration date on yours? If they're close to the expiration, I could shoot you and we could do a real world video. Make a mint on YouTube showing an actual gunshot being treated.

RWalls
09-08-2014, 06:12 PM
What's the expiration date on yours? If they're close to the expiration, I could shoot you and we could do a real world video. Make a mint on YouTube showing an actual gunshot being treated.

Hell I was actually thinking the same thing about you. We could try this 1988 level 2 body armor and see if it stops this 308 API I got and if not we can try the celox, you can put the armor on your chest and I'll shoot you in the ass.

1moretoy
09-08-2014, 06:46 PM
"Put that gun down...you'll put someone's eye out"

Coppertop
09-08-2014, 09:37 PM
There are some online "classes" that could give you a better background for medical. The courses I take are built for EMT recertification, but can give you some more info.

www.BoundTreeUniversity.com

Just an idea
Thanks

BugMan
09-09-2014, 08:29 AM
There are some online "classes" that could give you a better background for medical. The courses I take are built for EMT recertification, but can give you some more info.

www.BoundTreeUniversity.com

Just an idea
Thanks

I was a Medic in the Army, but that was a really long time ago. I should look into getting a class or two in. EMT training or something along those lines. I'd love to be able to have the ability to do an IV myself again with confidence. Last time I took my youngest for an IV it cost about 10k after the insurance negotiated it down to $3,300 they paid $300 and I paid $3,000. Thanks Obama.

OSFG
09-10-2014, 02:21 PM
I was a Medic in the Army, but that was a really long time ago. I should look into getting a class or two in. EMT training or something along those lines. I'd love to be able to have the ability to do an IV myself again with confidence. Last time I took my youngest for an IV it cost about 10k after the insurance negotiated it down to $3,300 they paid $300 and I paid $3,000. Thanks Obama.

Your kidding right? 10K for an IV? We used to practice giving them to each other in the middle of the night in the back of a vehicle using a red lens filtered flashlight...and we would give them to each other after a hard night drinking too. I could give an IV one handed...man I'm in the wrong business.

Pauls
09-10-2014, 04:15 PM
$5-800 for going into the ER, Double doctor fees and double hospital fees for emergency help and then the costs associated with any treatment. It is really easy to get up to $10K when dealing with the hospital ER.

Montana Rancher
09-13-2014, 10:18 PM
Honestly MR, I find the best deals on them at gun shows. Amazon and the like are priced a bit steep. QC gauze is what we currently use in our IFAK's as they are less messy, and you can wrap compression bandage around it while leaving them in the wound. For gunshot wounds, one of the most convenient treatments is a tampon. I know that sounds weird...and trust me when you have 2 tampons on your MOLLE gear around women...they do kind of look at you funny. If you need help with anything, shoot me a PM. I am a SABC (Self-Aid Buddy Care) Level 1 instructor for the Air Force. I can teach you anything you'd like to know.

I have either CAT and SWAT-T tourniquets on all my gear or kits. Although I have both, I prefer Celox to QuikClot, which is available in both granules in an injector or impregnated gauze.

And I'm like Smokin, I've got tampons in all my blowout kits and first aid kits. They're cheap and effective.

Two places I buy most of my med supplies:

http://www.chinookmed.com/

http://www.tacmedsolutions.com/

Now we are TALKIN!

Great post, I bookmarked both your links, the first was way cheaper than ebay, If I contacted them to buy 100 I would guess I could resell them on ebay and make some money.

Bravo

pheniox17
09-14-2014, 07:49 AM
Any of you that know, please post more info about medical training. Mrs Inor and I both have Advanced First Aid through the American Red Cross and some more specialized training as we were both Ski Patrols. But, we both need a refresher and could stand to upgrade out skills beyond just the basics. I have seen some courses offered through small companies at some outdoor shows etc. But those are crazy expensive and I am not sure of the quality of the instruction. If any of you have experience, I would love to hear about it.

Inor: I strongly suggest you and Mrs inor volunteer with some disaster organization (fire and rescue/FEMA) as they will give you FREE training (they need to give you the skill base to help) but more importantly the experience to deal with those situations

Been a volunteer you can always say NO!!

TJC44
09-14-2014, 03:46 PM
I know this is diverging from the topic, but....
Pheniox, being dissatisfied(for lack of a better word) with the Fed gubmint is one thing, volunteering, then backing away when your neighbors need help is something very different. I have been in a volunteer FD most of my adult life. I think most of us are of the same mind if our towns, using our neighbors' tax dollars took the time to train you, could you say "no" if those neighbors called for help?

pheniox17
09-14-2014, 07:02 PM
Pheniox, being dissatisfied(for lack of a better word) with the Fed gubmint is one thing, volunteering, then backing away when your neighbors need help is something very different. I have been in a volunteer FD most of my adult life. I think most of us are of the same mind if our towns, using our neighbors' tax dollars took the time to train you, could you say "no" if those neighbors called for help?

What I was attempting to point out you don't need to goto every job, eg I'm also a FD volunteer and I refuse to respond to car crashes and suicides

Just Sayin'
09-14-2014, 08:06 PM

Another way to look at it is usefully recouping some of the tax dollars that you send in with no real hope of ever seeing again. I guarantee you, that I pay way more into the tax system than I get back in benefits. Living in Mississippi, I also get to see where a large part of my dollars go, and even my wife is tired of it, and she's a damned sight more tolerant than I am.

TJC44
09-14-2014, 08:14 PM
O.k. No problem, then. I have a problem with the people that join, get the free training, then disappear, usually to go to work for a commercial ambulance co. I let my medical certification lapse when I realized that part of the field did not interest me. I prefer being a driver or smoke eater.

pheniox17
09-14-2014, 09:32 PM
O.k. No problem, then. I have a problem with the people that join, get the free training, then disappear, usually to go to work for a commercial ambulance co. I let my medical certification lapse when I realized that part of the field did not interest me. I prefer being a driver or smoke eater.

And that's the volunteer reminder, you can choose what you like to do, and come doomsday you can give the 1 finger solute and leave ;)

Never herd the term smoke eater before??

Just Sayin'
09-14-2014, 09:38 PM
We talk funny here Phenoix... slang for a firefighter in that other bastard former English colony.

TJC44
09-15-2014, 12:02 PM
Interior work. Truckie work is fun cause you can break stuff and cut holes and it's o.k.

BugMan
09-24-2014, 01:07 PM
Your kidding right? 10K for an IV? We used to practice giving them to each other in the middle of the night in the back of a vehicle using a red lens filtered flashlight...and we would give them to each other after a hard night drinking too. I could give an IV one handed...man I'm in the wrong business. I wish I was. I was dumbfounded. I wanted to go and fight with them about it, because there is nobody that can tell me $3K is justified for a simple IV. Does it cost the Red Cross $3K to take blood or do plasma-thesis?

RWalls
10-02-2014, 09:20 PM

I was thinking the same at the local community college.