PDA

View Full Version : septic

omegabrock
09-08-2014, 02:40 PM
i remember someone saying that a well maintained septic system will take care of itself...when i spoke with the lady that scheduled to have the septic system inspected at the house we are planning on buying, she said that we would should have it pumped every 3-4 years. is that contradictory or is having it pumped part of well maintained? any advice to keep from having to have it pumped, or have somebody come out to do maint. on it would be preferred. i know not to put bleach into it, and clean with vinegar (reason for my vinegar post earlier)...but that's about all that i know

James m
09-08-2014, 03:25 PM
We moved into a house with a well and septic in about 1996 it was my mom's house. It wasn't until the early 2001 or 2002 that we dug it out and had it pumped.

Theres now a local regulation here that you have to provide proof that its been pumped every few years its either township or county. But the man wants a receipt. (Likely the work of the sewer authority what a classy name)

And if it rains a lot it can fill with water from the rain or if you're doing a lot of laundry at the same time. Theres sludge (poop) then theres water. But if it backs and the toilet won't flush it may just be water filling it up. Ive heard them talking about just pumping the water out. Also it may just drain itself.

I just remembered a story about poop oh boy.... well a septic backed up into a basement office. Very nice place just remodeled nice perfect drywall. They wanted a basement toilet. They got one. They also got gallons of dirty water and little balls of terds everywhere. It would not stop. They had to turn the water completely off or it would just keep leaking. A lot of toilets run off of gravity and if you are below the ground gravity don't work that way. It wants to come back up like the path of least resistance.

Can someone come out every few years to see if it needs to be pumped? Like some type of inspection?

TJC44
09-08-2014, 03:38 PM
As I understand it, not being a "septic guy", The water passes through the septic tank, depositing the solid matter, the water continues on to the leechfield, where it would leech into the ground and eventually, I guess, clean itself up. I have seen ads for larvae that you can pour down the toilet. They would "eat" the solid matter and keep your tank clean.
Years ago, I got a call to go to my sister's house on New Year's Day (her birthday). It seems some nearby trees' root system plugged the feed from the septic to the leechfield, which then backed up into the basement. It was not a pretty sight.

TJC

1moretoy
09-08-2014, 04:19 PM
When I had my house built, I was told based on the number of bathrooms I should be fine with a 1,000 gallon tank. I chose to go ahead and use a 1,500 gallon for good measure. There are products you can use like Rid-x to help with breakdown of solids. For the water bleed lines, I also went overboard using the doghouse design vs. the old pipe with holes in it. I should never have issues with it stopping up.

omegabrock
09-08-2014, 04:51 PM
Anythijg I can buy and stock up on to keep me from having to he someone come out, I'm all for. I'm not sure the pipes I have. Worth checking though

Inor
09-08-2014, 04:56 PM
Anythijg I can buy and stock up on to keep me from having to he someone come out, I'm all for. I'm not sure the pipes I have. Worth checking though

I suggest buying a shovel. Dig a hole and poop in that. When the hole gets full, cover it with dirt and dig another.

Sparkyprep
09-08-2014, 05:09 PM
Rid-X helps a lot. You can also use plain old live baker's yeast.

1moretoy
09-08-2014, 06:51 PM
Or you could use laxatives and have no solid buildup at all.

omegabrock
09-08-2014, 07:24 PM
Or you could use laxatives and have no solid buildup at all.

+1 haha

Deebo
09-08-2014, 07:28 PM
My leachfield pipes are collapsed or corroded, and upin inspection, my tank is getting very thin on the top. I have it pumped about twice a year. I am having it pumped tomorrow.
I am needing to separate my gray water from black water, just haven't fit the right hose yet.
At least with septic, if something citywide goes out, you can still flush.

omegabrock
09-08-2014, 07:38 PM
Is separating black and grey hard or complicated?

Sparkyprep
09-08-2014, 07:45 PM
My washing machine "grey water" doesn't go into my septic tank. It simply runs down an underground pipe to a ditch on the edge of my property. Separating your black and grey water would be quite an undertaking.

omegabrock
09-08-2014, 07:48 PM
Ah ok. Not something I will be able to do anytime soon lol

Sparkyprep
09-08-2014, 07:53 PM
As I understand it (I am not a plumber) black water consists of water and human waste from your toilet. Grey water consists mostly of water, and dirt, detergents, ect, such as shower water, washing machine water, and sink water. All of this combined is considered "sewage", and in most homes, these drains interconnect with each other under your home, either under your foundation slab, or your basement/crawl space. In Florida, we don't have basements, ever, for obviousness reasons. Even crawl spaces are rare. So, in order for me to effectively separate my black and grey wasters, I would have tochip up my concrete foundation.

omegabrock
09-08-2014, 09:52 PM
Just got a preliminary report back from the septic inspection and the washer drain isn't hooked up to it. Apparently it just pours out on the yard

Slippy
09-09-2014, 06:34 AM
When I built Slippy Lodge, I did some extensive research on septic systems. My place is on top of a big old rock so I had to improvise quite a bit. First thing I did was separate all gray water from sewage (black water). Detergents, chemicals, animal fats/oils, certain fabrics like polyester etc are a septic system's main enemy. Bacteria is a septic system's friend and the stuff above kill the bacteria.

So only my toilets and 2 bathroom sinks empty into my septic. This reduces the amount of detergents, chemicals, fats/oils and washer machine waste that goes into my system. Anyone who knows me, knows that I'm no "greenie" but we use only natural cleaners with no detergents on the toilet and sinks that empty in the septic to help maintain it.

After the state/county redtape approvals, I selected an aerobic system and a mini water treatment plant for the septic. The mini water treatment plant consists of a 2 tank system and a small pump that blows air and agitates the black water in the first tank to help separate the solids. The bacteria then go to work and the water that comes out of the tanks then travels through a series of large plastic "ponds" with baffles and at the end, it is supposed to be good water.

The last thing that I did was totally clear all the trees/vegetation from the septic area. While my land is a big rock, there were still a number of trees and roots that existed. I had to bring in a number of trucks of good soil to put under and over the field lines. You want to keep all invasive roots from damaging your system so get the trees and bushes away. Grasses are good.

Also, yYou want to keep from potentially damaging your field lines so I fenced the area around my system. Try to eliminate driving over the field lines, even with mowers etc. I use a weed eater on some of the area around the perimeter fence but will never even get a lawn mower on my septic field area to potentially damage the field lines. I've seeded the area with natural grasses and wildflowers so it looks OK.

Sorry to write a damn novel, but the last thing you need in SHTF situation is a septic system that does not work,

omegabrock
09-09-2014, 08:50 AM
No worries about the novel lol. Sounds like the last thing you'll have to worry about is septic haha. That's a damn good set up. I've already talked to the wife about detergents and bleaches. I think the closest trees are about 30ish feet away but that's just an eyeball estimate. I think it's just a conventional system though. Was built in '77 and I think it had some repairs done 10 years ago

BucketBack
09-09-2014, 10:07 AM
The guy who installed our second tile field said off the record.

Get a piece of cheapo meat,leave it outside , open up the septic tank,leave both the lid off and meat exposed for a few days and magic happens.
Qickers than flies on poop.
Flies eat the meat and lay eggs,then they head into the tank. After a couple day lots of flies will be rolling on the logs and eggs will be layed on the meat.
Toss the meat in ,replace the lid trapping the flies in. The flies life cycle goes on and on and on and on.

The larvae/maggots eat the logs and paper, hatch into flies,flies eat logs,lay eggs,turn into larve/maggots,eat,hatch,etc.

OSFG
09-09-2014, 11:17 AM
Wow I go to germany for a week and the discussion topics around here goes to shit......

Arklatex
09-09-2014, 11:22 AM
Wow I go to germany for a week and the discussion topics around here goes to shit......
This is a shitty conversation! Butt I'm learning a lot about shit.

Arklatex
09-09-2014, 11:34 AM
At my place only the toilets go to the septic. All else is drained to outside areas. The 1000 gallon tank gets pumped about every five years. It probably could go longer than that but I don't want to run into a shitty situation.

omegabrock
09-09-2014, 12:24 PM
This thread turned puntastic

Deebo
09-09-2014, 01:37 PM
Just got done pumping mine out.
Seems leachfield may be corrupted, but mainly, it's just water. Turned off the drippy kitchen sink, seems the hot valve is pushing drips out the cold valve, eventhough the hot is turned off. Gonna replace both seals.
Also, gonna pull the trigger and finish the hose step up, to drain washing machine.
Toilet doesn't leak, bathroom shower does.
More little stuff, just piling up. Gotta get er done thou.
Omega, with the washing machine already done, you got a good step .

omegabrock
09-09-2014, 01:43 PM
Depending on the pipes, I wouldn't think the sink and dishwasher would be too hard to separate. I mean, I could just dig a pipe that runs from the side of the house out to the wood line couldn't i?

Slippy
09-09-2014, 07:42 PM
One thing you could do is get 2, 55 gallon plastic drums for your gray water. Dig a hole and send the gray water into the first drum. Any items heavier than water will settle into the bottom of drum 1. Cut an overflow hole in drum 1 a few inches below the hole that introduces the gray water from the house. The overflow goes into drum 2. Cut an overflow hole in drum 2 and attached several feet of pvc pipe with small holes cut into it for your makeshift field lines. Make sure you have a good fall off for the field lines to drain. Back fill the holes with sand. Leave access to drum 1 to pump it once every few years or so especially if you are using a dispose-All in your kitchen sink. Some of the animal fats will not break down.

omegabrock
09-09-2014, 08:21 PM
See, I never would have thought about that. That's a good system. Thanks

RWalls
09-09-2014, 09:04 PM
I got property in the sticks with a septic, I cant find the damn thing.

RWalls
09-09-2014, 09:06 PM
One thing you could do is get 2, 55 gallon plastic drums for your gray water. Dig a hole and send the gray water into the first drum. Any items heavier than water will settle into the bottom of drum 1. Cut an overflow hole in drum 1 a few inches below the hole that introduces the gray water from the house. The overflow goes into drum 2. Cut an overflow hole in drum 2 and attached several feet of pvc pipe with small holes cut into it for your makeshift field lines. Make sure you have a good fall off for the field lines to drain. Back fill the holes with sand. Leave access to drum 1 to pump it once every few years or so especially if you are using a dispose-All in your kitchen sink. Some of the animal fats will not break down.

I read that in a survival retreat book once, I forget the book, probably dirt cheap survival or something.

TJC44
09-09-2014, 09:14 PM
RWalls, what is the pipe made from? Maybe locate it with a metal detector?

James m
09-09-2014, 09:36 PM
The pipes aren't metal. The new ones are plastic and even since 1948 they had non metal pipes.
But you might find a lid? Would that be like a metal manhole cover?

Slippy
09-09-2014, 09:54 PM
I got property in the sticks with a septic, I cant find the damn thing.

RWalls,
Locate any electricity and water lines first, then locate the pipes exiting the house. Take a piece of rebar and sharpen the end with a grinder. Walk out from the house a few feet where you think the pipes exit and start poking the ground. Eventually you should find the concrete tank. Then dig around it to find the lid. This will not be a fun event but invite friends over to help with the digging and to bring the beer.

RWalls
09-09-2014, 09:56 PM
RWalls,
Locate any electricity and water lines first, then locate the pipes exiting the house. Take a piece of rebar and sharpen the end with a grinder. Walk out from the house a few feet where you think the pipes exit and start poking the ground. Eventually you should find the concrete tank. Then dig around it to find the lid. This will not be a fun event but invite friends over to help with the digging and to bring the beer.

I rented a mini excavator and dug up the pipe, I dug up 30+ feet, it starts going down close to 5' deep. I still haven't found the tank.

Slippy
09-09-2014, 10:01 PM
I rented a mini excavator and dug up the pipe, I dug up 30+ feet, it starts going down close to 5' deep. I still haven't found the tank.

What year was the house built? If it is old then all bets are off as far as modern practices. Is the pipe cast iron or pvc?

RWalls
09-10-2014, 09:39 AM
What year was the house built? If it is old then all bets are off as far as modern practices. Is the pipe cast iron or pvc?

PVC, no house, that burned down, I'm going to build a cabin for my BOV.

Pauls
09-10-2014, 03:10 PM
Most often around here they use ABS pipe because the PVC is too brittle. It's still plastic but it is tougher plastic than PVC. If you are going to run grey water dump pipes make sure they are below the frost line and more than five feet from the canopy of any trees. Roots will crush any pipe and find any leaks and work their way into the pipe to clog it. Beware of roses, black berries, alfalfa and other deep root plants too.

1moretoy
09-10-2014, 04:03 PM

If I leave my sprinkler off long enough for the grass to start turning brown, I can find my tank by simply following the dark green strip of grass back to the septic.

RWalls
09-10-2014, 06:58 PM
If I leave my sprinkler off long enough for the grass to start turning brown, I can find my tank by simply following the dark green strip of grass back to the septic.

No sprinkler! LOL.http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/10/5e253003f53207118a99b1790e5e967e.jpg

Slippy
09-10-2014, 10:33 PM
PVC, no house, that burned down, I'm going to build a cabin for my BOV.

Well in that case, start from scratch and build one. Why mess with a box of chocolates, as Forrest Gump's mama says. Good luck.

RWalls
09-11-2014, 03:38 PM
Well in that case, start from scratch and build one. Why mess with a box of chocolates, as Forrest Gump's mama says. Good luck.

I might use this one as an underground bunker.

1moretoy
09-11-2014, 04:10 PM
I might use this one as an underground bunker.

Eeeww...:pootest:

Montana Rancher
09-13-2014, 11:43 PM
When I had my house built, I was told based on the number of bathrooms I should be fine with a 1,000 gallon tank. I chose to go ahead and use a 1,500 gallon for good measure. There are products you can use like Rid-x to help with breakdown of solids. For the water bleed lines, I also went overboard using the doghouse design vs. the old pipe with holes in it. I should never have issues with it stopping up.

In my rural area the "dog house" method will reduce your drain field by about 30% and give you better coverage to disperse your waste.

Anyone not on a septic system should be planning to bug out, trust me you have no happy ending if you live in town.

Adding to that, anyone on public water should plan on the same, you will die in a short amount of time when you lack basic sanitation.

TJC44
09-14-2014, 03:55 PM
How does the "doghouse" work?

Sparkyprep
09-14-2014, 05:52 PM

Not to be a nit-picker, but it should be noted that septic tank size is based on number of bedrooms, not bathrooms.

1moretoy
09-14-2014, 07:11 PM
How does the "doghouse" work?

Rather than using pipe for bleeder lines a trench is dug with a backhoe and the arched "doghouse" style cover is set in place. It has no bottom and basically is designed to hold the ground above it up out of the drain field.

omegabrock
09-14-2014, 07:22 PM
Why does it matter on number of bedrooms opposed to number of people that use it?

RWalls
09-14-2014, 07:24 PM
Why does it matter on number of bedrooms opposed to number of people that use it?

I've always wondered the same thing too. If I live alone with 3 bathrooms and 14 Mexicans live in a one bathroom house wouldn't they fill theirs faster than mine?

James m
09-14-2014, 08:13 PM
Only if they decided to actually use the toilets.

TJC44
09-14-2014, 08:27 PM
An inverted half pipe then.

Sparkyprep
09-14-2014, 08:54 PM

Simply because a number of bedrooms is a better predicted of how many people live in a house, and therefore, how many people will be using the bathrooms. Generally speaking, family members share bathrooms, but not bedrooms. Lots of big houses have 5 bedrooms, and nine bathrooms. Does that mean 9 people live there? No, probably only six.

omegabrock
09-14-2014, 09:12 PM
My thought was the opposite lol. You could have a 3 bedroom house with a young couple and a toddler with a playroom and it would use less than a 3 bedroom with a 40 something year old couple with a girl and 2 teenage boys

1moretoy
09-15-2014, 04:20 AM
What really used to piss me off was my water/sewage bill at my last house (no septic tank). Sewage was billed based on water consumption. During the summer, when I ran my inground sprinkler system...my sewage bill would be higher.

omegabrock
09-15-2014, 08:53 AM
here in OKC, i typically spend around $70 a month on water/sewage. be glad to get rid of that bill

omegabrock
09-18-2014, 01:06 PM
ok, a couple of questions about our well, what's a pitless well adapter? we have 1 of those.

there's a pressure gauge and it's at 40psi. is that good? what's optimum?

there isnt a well vent. is that something i should worry about?

1moretoy
09-18-2014, 01:51 PM
If I'm not mistaken the adapter allows the well water to exit below ground level to the line going to your house. 40 PSI sounds kind of low.

Innkeeper
09-25-2014, 01:45 PM
When I bought this house I found out I had a great well 10.5 gpm, and a really good drain field and septic, not sure exactly where the lid is yet but checking around in the Backyard with the Home inspector we did find the beginning of the tank, and when I closed I talked to the former owners daughter(was an estate) she drew me a diagram of where the tank is, but was not sure of the lid, it had been pumped 2 years before and they only pulled the soil off the top as a plug, which explains why I can not find the cover plug. So I am going to do some digging before winter and find the top, but I should be good on pumping for awhile I just may do it in the spring so I know I have lots of time before I worry, heck it is just me and the dog anyhow, with an occasional visitor. No major poop dumping done here.

omegabrock
09-26-2014, 09:23 AM
is there any special precautions for winter that need to be taken with a well over being on city?

omegabrock
10-06-2014, 10:28 AM
So after talking with the sellers, the septic has 4 leach lines...is that good or normal? Also, what soaps and detergents should I use and what should I stay away from - besides bleach?

About the well water, how can you test the water for softener and how much to use?

Innkeeper
10-06-2014, 03:35 PM
Did they test your water when they did the Home inspection? Here in Michigan it is required at least on a VA loan. That should tell you if your water is hard, heavy in iron and so forth depending what they test for mine turned out to be pretty good quality. I am thinking about adding a hand pump myself as a just incase thing, but I always loved the one at my Aunts house when I was a kid and would love to have one. I have a huge well casing that sits in a room off my basement, and I am hoping it can be added to it with out drilling a new well. Heck I have not seen them like that in a long time, now a days they are in peoples front yard and all you see is the top where the pump is connected, I am hoping that means I have a quality well and easy to maintain if something goes bad.

Sparkyprep
10-06-2014, 04:17 PM
Testing the well water can be done by any water softener company. Look in the yellow pages. Four leach pipes is good for the drain field, depending on the size of the tank. There is no such thing as too many.

omegabrock
10-06-2014, 04:22 PM
When they checked, the only report I got was about bacteria levels. No idea if they checked the other stuff. The sellers say they have hard water but they don't use water softener because they don't see a point. I heard that hard water is noticeable on the sinks and showers and stuff but it didn't look too bad...but I don't know what I was looking for. I know In the front yard there is a cap (I'm assuming that's what it's called) but in the garage there is a pressurizing tank. I would love a hand pump as a just in case as well. I don't remember how big the septic tank is but he said he has never had to have it pumped. Every so often he will just go out there and toss in some riddex

Sparkyprep
10-06-2014, 04:23 PM
Riddex is your friend. Once a month.

Pauls
10-06-2014, 05:57 PM
A hand pump will only work to about 30 feet. You can get one that works down below that level but if your well is over 75 or 80 feet deep (and most in this area are) then a hand pump will not work for you.

You can get PH test strips from most nurseries and pool supply houses. Testing water hardness is just a PH test. If you want it tested for metals or salts then you need to hire a professional.

Innkeeper
10-06-2014, 07:05 PM
A hand pump will only work to about 30 feet. You can get one that works down below that level but if your well is over 75 or 80 feet deep (and most in this area are) then a hand pump will not work for you.

You can get PH test strips from most nurseries and pool supply houses. Testing water hardness is just a PH test. If you want it tested for metals or salts then you need to hire a professional.

Thanks for raining on my hopes for a pump, Paul. Your a meanie today. :raincloud:

Sparkyprep
10-06-2014, 08:22 PM
Just get a household, 5600 watt generator. As long as you have fuel, you have water.

omegabrock
10-08-2014, 08:36 AM
Thanks for raining on my hopes for a pump, Paul. Your a meanie today. :raincloud:

you could always just tap an extra line off to the side of your house and connect it to a hand pump for nostalgic reasons lol

Innkeeper
10-08-2014, 09:43 AM
I already plan to get a generator Sparky, and start working on Solar panels in the spring, I just loved those hand pumps as a kid. lol

RWalls
10-13-2014, 09:37 PM
Just got my septic cleaned out and running again. Found out it's a 750 gallon tank.