PDA

View Full Version : How to store meds for long term?

jbrooks19
09-13-2014, 09:14 AM
I'm looking for ideas on how to store over the counter meds (Flu, cold and the like) for long time, is there a way to slow down there expiration? I assume, vacuum bags would help?

Pauls
09-13-2014, 06:36 PM
Any pill can be vacuum sealed but some will turn to powder when sealed that way. Liquids can't be vacuum sealed and either can capsules. Store in a cool (not freezing) dry place with no light. (sun or flourescent)

Expiration dates are approximate and most over the counter meds can be used long after the expiration date with no more than a loss of effectiveness. Some pain meds can break down and become toxic but most just lose their potency.

Montana Rancher
09-13-2014, 09:56 PM
Most OTC meds are more for comfort, you don't really need them.

Consider this:

Animal meds will be a lot more effective and cost a LOT less than the human equivalent. You will also get a lot more bang for the buck as animal meds are cheaper.

If you get scours medicine, antibiotics, or other useful meds, use the dose mentioned for a pig of the equal weight to your patient and you will be good.

I mention scours (the shits) as that is a really common problem SHTF when the water goes bad.

Also vet supply stores are a great source of gauze, sutures, disinfectants, surgical gowns and masks and tools.

A couple favorites are

www.shotmedvet.com
www.calvetsupply.com

Both usually have fish tank antibiotics that are pharmacy grade amoxicillin, etc that are legal to buy like this:

http://www.calvetsupply.com/product/Amoxicillin-Capsules-500mg/Antibiotics

I sell medical supplies on ebay and amazon including tape, sponges, and sutures which not only gives me a great source of income but SHTF I also have a lot of them in stock for use and barter.

It doesn't hurt that my wife is a RN or my son a combat medic in the NG.

Recently I purchased some CAT tournequets on Ebay, I got 11 of them for about $160, my son looked over my preps and made that suggestion.