PDA

View Full Version : Wood-Fired Pizza

Broncosfan
07-27-2018, 01:10 PM
Anyone wood fire pizza at home?? Any suggestions for someone that is getting ready to try it for the first time??? Something that I have wanted to try for a long time. Long term plan is to build a brick pizza-bread oven outside.

Inor
07-27-2018, 01:36 PM
Anyone wood fire pizza at home?? Any suggestions for someone that is getting ready to try it for the first time??? Something that I have wanted to try for a long time. Long term plan is to build a brick pizza-bread oven outside.

I do wood-fired pizza on my grill all the time. It is freakin' awesome! I use a Big Green Egg for my BBQ.

The key is to use indirect heat. I also have a pizza stone that I set on top of the grate. (If you do not have a pizza stone, I have heard of folks using a marble pastry rolling board as well. I expect a large marble floor tile would also work.) Just put some corn starch on the stone so the pizza does not stick to it. Also, make sure the fire and stone are stable at about 350 before you put the pizza on. It is insanely easy to do and the results are outstanding!

Let us know how it goes and please post some photos.

Broncosfan
07-27-2018, 01:54 PM
I do wood-fired pizza on my grill all the time. It is freakin' awesome! I use a Big Green Egg for my BBQ.

The key is to use indirect heat. I also have a pizza stone that I set on top of the grate. (If you do not have a pizza stone, I have heard of folks using a marble pastry rolling board as well. I expect a large marble floor tile would also work.) Just put some corn starch on the stone so the pizza does not stick to it. Also, make sure the fire and stone are stable at about 350 before you put the pizza on. It is insanely easy to do and the results are outstanding!

Let us know how it goes and please post some photos.

Inor
Thanks for the info! Not sure how soon I will try it but it won't be a long time. Do you make your own crust or buy a pre made one?

Gambit
07-27-2018, 01:58 PM
I use my grill as well I might by a large flat stone but my pizza pan seems to work just fine
now I want to make pizza, maybe buffalo pizza tomorrow night? I have earned it
https://i.imgur.com/0E3aQar.png

hawgrider
07-27-2018, 02:26 PM
Lookin good Gambit!!!!!

RockDoc
07-27-2018, 06:05 PM
We just ordered a RoccBox pizza oven. Can't wait to give it a shot. Due to arrive around the end of August from UK. I think I used up all of my gift requests for a year from the Wifey.

gets to 900 degrees.....9....freaking hundred degrees! Wood or propane. I'll be eating pizza for weeks.

https://www.roccbox.com/us/product/

Inor
07-27-2018, 07:52 PM
Inor
Thanks for the info! Not sure how soon I will try it but it won't be a long time. Do you make your own crust or buy a pre made one?

Yes.

Actually Mrs Inor makes the crust when we make it. But during the house build we have just bought them in the interest of time. But they are still pretty good.

Gambit
07-27-2018, 08:07 PM
premade crust is bread dough the crust you can get from the tube is a sin and should never be eaten
I make my dough similar to a bread dough but use 40/60 bread dough to all purpose flour and let rest over night in fridge
make sure to have it in a air tight container and thin layer oil . cold press olive is best
let it hang out to room temp to rise once more which should be about 2 hours

if you use a pizza grill pan you want to make sure that dough is stiff or it will drip into the holes and ruin your day
a stone you can use thick corn meal which is make it more crispy and help non-sticking

Broncosfan
07-27-2018, 08:40 PM
Thanks

I plan to make my own in the near future but starting out I will probably use the pre made ones. I think I have several recipes in a book for a bread maker.

Gambit
07-27-2018, 09:36 PM
here is a simple pizza dough
no need to put it away in the fridge but it will make it better if you do

1 cup luck warm water
2 tbsp. good olive oil
1-2 tsp sugar. I like 1 teaspoon to help with foaming
3 cups of bread flour or 50/50 bread too all purpose flour
1 and tps salt
1 packet of yeast . never use instant yeast for anything!!

put water sugar and yeast together and let them make sweet love till it foams up, roughly 15 mins
add 1 tablespoon of oil then lightly mix flour and salt mix then kneed

put it in a bowl that's greased with the other tablespoon of oil so lightly covering the dough ball in and let it hang out for 1 and half hours or double in size
punch it down and let it rise once more 1 hour and a half or doubles in size again

that's it you done

*NOTE* never use more sugar then salt also sugar is not needed but I like to use sugar or even honey to help the yeast
also use cooking spray to help greasing the bowl, I spray the bowl and then add oil and I feel it just helps better

this dough is a stiffer dough and is good for a pizza grill pan so it don't drip threw the holes but if you use a stone I will add more water like a few tablespoons worth and maybe a little more oil

also never use instant yeast

ok hope that helps you and also get a standing mixer if you don't have one
I take that over any bread machine any day

Dwight55
07-27-2018, 09:52 PM
In Delaware, Ohio, . . . about 10 years or so ago, . . . guy came into town with the wood fired pizza idea.

Rented a little hole in the wall on main drag, . . . was insanely small and crowded, . . . held maybe 16 people at one time.

Today, . . . he has THE corner business of the downtown main intersection, . . . took over two more store fronts to the North of the original, . . . has a gangbusters business going on now.

And YES, . . . his pizza is great.

I watched him, . . . his oven looked like a brown dirt igloo, . . . fire embers in the back, . . . pizza up front, . . . put on the door, . . . set the timer, . . . yank it out, . . . serve it, . . . get paid, . . . smile.

Plan some day to make one similar, . . . our of red clay tiles. It will be my SHTF oven out on the front porch, . . . where I can bake bread 24/7 and pizza if I want to.

May God bless,
Dwight

Broncosfan
07-27-2018, 10:34 PM
Dwight55
Your idea of building sounds just about like mine. Have done some research over the last couple of years but just haven't had the time or extra $$$. One day it will happens. Since the garden hasn't done well I'm just trying my hand at something new.

Inor
07-28-2018, 04:54 AM
Bronc -

If you want to experiment with baking on a grill, just pick up a package of Brown And Serve dinner rolls from your local stop-N-rob. Follow the instructions on the package but bake them on the grill instead of the oven. If you get them right (which is almost 100%), they are freakin' outstanding. If you torch them, who cares? - It costs you about $3 and it is a side dish that nobody will remember.

Gambit
07-28-2018, 08:17 AM
this video is a good idea on how too make one
domes is most likely be the hardest part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66VVVOBBOJc

Gambit
07-28-2018, 08:41 AM
I found this video to be the easiest for a nimrod such as myself can even do
im sure you can fine a gaint beach ball to just as well and even more cheaper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm_c7Vbtq70

Broncosfan
08-02-2018, 02:21 PM
here is a simple pizza dough
no need to put it away in the fridge but it will make it better if you do

1 cup luck warm water
2 tbsp. good olive oil
1-2 tsp sugar. I like 1 teaspoon to help with foaming
3 cups of bread flour or 50/50 bread too all purpose flour
1 and tps salt
1 packet of yeast . never use instant yeast for anything!!

put water sugar and yeast together and let them make sweet love till it foams up, roughly 15 mins
add 1 tablespoon of oil then lightly mix flour and salt mix then kneed

put it in a bowl that's greased with the other tablespoon of oil so lightly covering the dough ball in and let it hang out for 1 and half hours or double in size
punch it down and let it rise once more 1 hour and a half or doubles in size again

that's it you done

*NOTE* never use more sugar then salt also sugar is not needed but I like to use sugar or even honey to help the yeast
also use cooking spray to help greasing the bowl, I spray the bowl and then add oil and I feel it just helps better

this dough is a stiffer dough and is good for a pizza grill pan so it don't drip threw the holes but if you use a stone I will add more water like a few tablespoons worth and maybe a little more oil

also never use instant yeast

ok hope that helps you and also get a standing mixer if you don't have one
I take that over any bread machine any day

Gambit
Do you know how long it will keep refrigerated? Have you ever froze it?

Gambit
08-02-2018, 04:40 PM
Gambit
Do you know how long it will keep refrigerated? Have you ever froze it?

I kept them in the fridge for no more then 12 hours only because it changes the texture and to give it a more yeasty taste
If you freeze you need to wrap it in plastic wrap and make sure it don't have any air or extra moister
also you don't want to cot with too much oil if you freeze it so use cooking spray

I only frozen 2 times dough but they where Cuban bread and the first time I done it, it not come out well at all after 2 weeks. the second time it came out ok but I did not colt the dough with oil and I kept it in the freezer for about 3-4 weeks and it came out better but I wont do it again.

frozen bread/pizza dough you see in stores have so much shit in them to name. plus the pizza dough ones you see are not pizza dough but just bread dough, pizza dough is slightly stiffer then bread dough.

this dough recipe I posted is a simple one and nothing great but its really the only easy one I know that will work for you.

hope what I said helps and if you freeze this dough plz tell me how it comes out

Broncosfan
08-02-2018, 05:53 PM
I kept them in the fridge for no more then 12 hours only because it changes the texture and to give it a more yeasty taste
If you freeze you need to wrap it in plastic wrap and make sure it don't have any air or extra moister
also you don't want to cot with too much oil if you freeze it so use cooking spray

I only frozen 2 times dough but they where Cuban bread and the first time I done it, it not come out well at all after 2 weeks. the second time it came out ok but I did not colt the dough with oil and I kept it in the freezer for about 3-4 weeks and it came out better but I wont do it again.

frozen bread/pizza dough you see in stores have so much shit in them to name. plus the pizza dough ones you see are not pizza dough but just bread dough, pizza dough is slightly stiffer then bread dough.

this dough recipe I posted is a simple one and nothing great but its really the only easy one I know that will work for you.

hope what I said helps and if you freeze this dough plz tell me how it comes out

I will let you know if I try to freeze it. Not sure how soon I will try it

Broncosfan
08-05-2018, 03:39 PM
Second time around making progress. Made the dough in the bread machine just to save time. I made the dough the night before and refrigerated it. Worked well! Gambit's recipe to come later this fall as I have more time. I lightly baked both sides before we added toppings. Crust came out slightly thinner that a pan pizza. If anyone remembers Pizza Huts thick and chewy from the 70's this was very close. This was cooked in a Pit Boss pizza oven. Getting some experience before I jump into building a permanent masonry pizza oven. 5423

hawgrider
08-05-2018, 04:51 PM
Looks delicious!

RubberDuck
08-05-2018, 05:55 PM
I have cooked cast iron pizza on the grill but need to do it open like that it looks good

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Broncosfan
08-05-2018, 06:27 PM
Looks delicious!

Yes it was delicious. We brushed the crust edge with a mixture of butter and smoked garlic spice. Getting the coals right for cooking seems to be the trick. I'm still learning. We rushed home from a movie to cook. It was a little aggravating at first trying to get it started. Someone recommended to my wife lightly cook the dough before putting the toppings on. That really made a difference since the crust was thicker. A bbq pulled pork and a bbq chicken with homemade sauce is in the future. A little garlic, onion and cheese should top it off.

Gambit
08-05-2018, 06:39 PM
that looking good my man