PDA

View Full Version : Fun Canning Beans

Dwight55
08-03-2018, 06:55 PM
Just sitting here enjoying myself, . . .

First picking of the white half runner beans, . . . got 32 pints, . . . but not without drama.

Went to Lowes to get some conduit and stuff for a small electric job. Came home, . . . unloaded, . . . happened to look at the end of the bundle, . . . one stick short.

Came in the house, . . . aggravated, . . . started canning beans anyway.

Circuit breaker kept tripping on the stove, . . . amp meter said less than 20 amps per leg, . . . "pop" goes the breaker.

Back to Lowes for the breaker, . . . and missing stick of conduit.

Changed out breaker, . . . beans are all done, . . . sitting here having just chowed down on a small bowl of grits with lots of butter and salt, . . . admiring my beany handiwork.

May God bless,
Dwight

hawgrider
08-03-2018, 08:34 PM
Just sitting here enjoying myself, . . .

First picking of the white half runner beans, . . . got 32 pints, . . . but not without drama.

Went to Lowes to get some conduit and stuff for a small electric job. Came home, . . . unloaded, . . . happened to look at the end of the bundle, . . . one stick short.

Came in the house, . . . aggravated, . . . started canning beans anyway.

Circuit breaker kept tripping on the stove, . . . amp meter said less than 20 amps per leg, . . . "pop" goes the breaker.

Back to Lowes for the breaker, . . . and missing stick of conduit.

Changed out breaker, . . . beans are all done, . . . sitting here having just chowed down on a small bowl of grits with lots of butter and salt, . . . admiring my beany handiwork.

May God bless,
Dwight

Pressure cook them? They look great?

Dwight55
08-03-2018, 08:54 PM
Oh, yeah, . . . pressure cook is only way for me.

I survived those water bath canned beans (done in a wash tub, . . . over a wood fire, . . . out in the yard, . . . piece of metal roof for a lid) . . . but since I got three of the pressure vessels, . . . more fun to use them.

Planted 5 rows of beans same day, . . . same bag of seed, . . . using same seeder. 3 rows are between 2 and 3 ft tall, . . . one row is 4 ft +, . . . one row would be 7 ft tall, . . . but the fence is only 5 ft. God awfulest pile of bean plants as well, . . . on the big row, . . .

It's the same plot of ground that last year did not produce 2 quarts of beans, . . . this year I've got the beans, . . . plus potato plants that were darn near 40 inches tall.

I think I'm also going to learn how to can potatoes, . . .

May God bless,
Dwight

Inor
08-04-2018, 12:53 AM
I think I'm also going to learn how to can potatoes, . . .

May God bless,
Dwight

Canned potatoes are the BEST! They are even more potatoey than fresh! Fry up some canned potatoes with some butter, garlic and salt and you are living LARGE!

Dwight55
08-04-2018, 07:24 AM
Thanks, my friend, . . .

I was told that 350 lineal feet of potato plants will generally provide something like 1 pound per foot, . . . maybe a bit less.

That being the case, . . . I've got a lot of canning to do, . . . and I'm thinking that it should result in some "good stuff" when the snow is flying this winter.

We'll also be handing some out, I'm sure, . . . as garden fresh taters are always better than those found at Krogers and whatnot.

They also do well in a pan of green beans with a half dozen strips of bacon thrown in for good measure.

May God bless,
Dwight

Sarge7402
08-05-2018, 08:10 AM
Wife steams ours then stuffs them in plastic bags and freezes them. Still taste fresh even 6 months later

hawgrider
08-05-2018, 08:42 AM
Wife steams ours then stuffs them in plastic bags and freezes them. Still taste fresh even 6 months later

We freeze sweet corn. Blanch and freeze in ziplocks its lasted 2 years with the taste of summer still in it.

Inor
08-05-2018, 09:40 AM
We freeze sweet corn. Blanch and freeze in ziplocks its lasted 2 years with the taste of summer still in it.

We do that too. But ours never lasts 2 years; 6 months at best. (I am a corn-on-the-cob eatin' fool.)

hawgrider
08-05-2018, 10:54 AM
We do that too. But ours never lasts 2 years; 6 months at best. (I am a corn-on-the-cob eatin' fool.)

We try to do enough to last a winter sometimes we overdue it. Generally we put one heaping cup in a sammich size ziplock and flatten it out along with the air. They stack nice that way.

RubberDuck
08-05-2018, 07:54 PM
This is something I want to try and have a few crocks sitting in my Grandmother's basement that no one will ever use in that family so think I will bring them home next time up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Inor
08-06-2018, 08:26 AM
We try to do enough to last a winter sometimes we overdue it. Generally we put one heaping cup in a sammich size ziplock and flatten it out along with the air. They stack nice that way.

We leave it on the cob and pack 4-6 cobs per bag. Yes, it takes up too much freezer space, but damn that is some good eatin' come December, January and February.

Dwight55
08-06-2018, 02:06 PM
This is something I want to try and have a few crocks sitting in my Grandmother's basement that no one will ever use in that family so think I will bring them home next time up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You gonna pickle you some green beans, . . . make some pickled corn, . . . or do some kraut??

May God bless,
Dwight

Broncosfan
08-07-2018, 07:27 PM
Finally got enough beans to can. Ended up with 13 quarts of french style green beans. There in the pressure canner and now I get to take a break. Finally got a nice little thunder storm this evening. I would say that the beans will be going full speed by the weekend!