PDA

View Full Version : Did another test run over the weekend...

jbrooks19
09-22-2014, 08:47 AM
A good friend of mine has 55acres of woods down near Lawerenceburg, IN. Over the weekend we did another test run of our GHB to see how well we would fare with them when we only could use the contents of the bag. I packed waterproof/windproof matches this time instead of the Magnesium starter (No need to carry it until i can practice enough to be proficient with it, otherwise it is just dead weight). Fire-starting this time was much smoother than last. I learned my lesson the last time when i couldn't start a fire. So i got my fire going, got out the mess kit and my MRE entree and cooked dinner. The Chicken Noodles was actually pretty good when you ad some salt. We initially tried hunting for our food, using my Ruger 10/22 take-down i keep in my truck and his marlin M60, no luck.....Looked for 2 hours and nothing... So that is when we gave up and ate the MRE Entrees we keep in our GHB as back-ups. We also both pack tarps in our GHB's in the event we have to bunker down for the night, so we made our makeshift tents and camped the night, i did cheat a little and brought along a sleeping bag that usually is in my BOB. All and all was a great experience and a great way to test our preps. It was a definite improvement from the last time we ran this drill a month or so ago.

I suggest everyone practice using your GHB or BOB, it helps iron out the flaws in our plans. :dancingguy:

OSFG
09-22-2014, 04:27 PM
A good friend of mine has 55acres of woods down near Lawerenceburg, IN. Over the weekend we did another test run of our GHB to see how well we would fare with them when we only could use the contents of the bag. I packed waterproof/windproof matches this time instead of the Magnesium starter (No need to carry it until i can practice enough to be proficient with it, otherwise it is just dead weight). Fire-starting this time was much smoother than last. I learned my lesson the last time when i couldn't start a fire. So i got my fire going, got out the mess kit and my MRE entree and cooked dinner. The Chicken Noodles was actually pretty good when you ad some salt. We initially tried hunting for our food, using my Ruger 10/22 take-down i keep in my truck and his marlin M60, no luck.....Looked for 2 hours and nothing... So that is when we gave up and ate the MRE Entrees we keep in our GHB as back-ups. We also both pack tarps in our GHB's in the event we have to bunker down for the night, so we made our makeshift tents and camped the night, i did cheat a little and brought along a sleeping bag that usually is in my BOB. All and all was a great experience and a great way to test our preps. It was a definite improvement from the last time we ran this drill a month or so ago.

I suggest everyone practice using your GHB or BOB, it helps iron out the flaws in our plans. :dancingguy:
And that is why you will be better prepared than most. Well done sir.

dutch16
09-22-2014, 06:16 PM
I like the idea of including a take-down rifle. Nothing like a rifle for serious shooting. Does it fit in your BOB, or is it a truck gun?

James m
09-22-2014, 06:48 PM
http://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/u-s-survival-ar-7/

I didn't know if they still made these. Designed by Eugene stoner. Everything fits in the stock. Including two magazines. Don't honestly know about quality. But the black one is $290.

Inor
09-22-2014, 08:12 PM

I didn't know if they still made these. Designed by Eugene stoner. Everything fits in the stock. Including two magazines. Don't honestly know about quality. But the black one is $290.

They do still make them. I looked at one a few months back. It felt surprisingly solid.

jbrooks19
09-23-2014, 07:21 AM

They do, i had one a couple years ago.. Surprisingly very accurate, only con i found was it had to be kept clean and well oiled to properly function.

They do still make them. I looked at one a few months back. It felt surprisingly solid. Very robust.. IMO

I like the idea of including a take-down rifle. Nothing like a rifle for serious shooting. Does it fit in your BOB, or is it a truck gun? Ruger take down wont fit in my GHB, so it is a truck gun.. The AR7 did fit in my GHB and BOB.

Coppertop
09-23-2014, 09:33 AM
They do still make them. I looked at one a few months back. It felt surprisingly solid.

I found I don't like the feel of them, and have trouble getting any accuracy with them. I do think the accuracy is all my issue and not the guns. I just think that the stock is a funny fit. Maybe that is the issue, I'm thinking about it?

jbrooks19
09-23-2014, 12:24 PM
I found I don't like the feel of them, and have trouble getting any accuracy with them. I do think the accuracy is all my issue and not the guns. I just think that the stock is a funny fit. Maybe that is the issue, I'm thinking about it?

Yes, it does have a strange feeling stock. Takes some getting used to.

Innkeeper
09-23-2014, 03:50 PM
That Ruger Take-Down is a nice rifle, we had a sale at work on 10/22's this weekend I did not know they made a take down but plan to pick one up probably next month I need to get my GP141 out of Lay-away first. One of the guys I work with says he carry's his in his Back pack when he goes hiking seemed small enough to fit into or maybe strapped to the side of your bag depending on the size of your bag. Should easily fit into a MOLLE rig if anyone use the Mil issue style.

I have seen the ar-7 never fired one they did not ever issue it to army aviators I think it was an air force thing.