PDA

View Full Version : Log Cabin Building

TJC44
09-20-2018, 08:18 PM
I'm going to start posting videos tips, and tools for building a log cabin.
I've been following Shawn James of Myselfreliance on youtube for several months. He has incorporated several unique ideas into the cabin he built. Here is his Youtube page where you can see all of the videos.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIMXKin1fXXCeq2UJePJEog

There are many companies that manufacture log home kits, and I may delve into that at some point. For now, it will be ground up, build from local timber type videos and links.
Feel free to add to the thread no one is banned or blocked.
Enjoy.
TJC

MountainGirl
09-20-2018, 11:16 PM
Nice thread!
Haven't watched the vids yet, but will.
Some friends built a 26x34 cabin back in the 90's in western Montana - but instead of logs from a kit company - they used 8' long 6"dia poles bought from a post&pole outfit for about a tenth of the price. Drilled & spiked together & to an upright pole every 8'; cut their own for beam & rafters. I helped, fun times! The method worked out pretty well...almost like post & beam framing, with log walls. Three 8' sections front & back, four 8' sections for the sides.
It's amazing what someone can do with a little creativity, and enough gumption to try, lol.

Big Ken
09-21-2018, 07:27 AM
The wife and I always thought we'd like a log cabin and we even ordered plans for one but, I don't know, time flies and it's 20 years later.

hawgrider
09-21-2018, 07:34 AM
The only thing about a log cabin in old age is the maintenance especially with pine logs.

MI.oldguy
09-21-2018, 12:17 PM
The only thing about a log cabin in old age is the maintenance especially with pine logs.

Ditto that!...we live in a 80 year old log home (cabin!,white pine logs.).I should have put my foot down when wifey said I like that place!.LOTs of maintenance!.getting to effing old for that crap!.

TJC44
09-21-2018, 02:47 PM
I have come across another page today.
"wormgitter" is a good 'ol boy that does it all, including a log home build.
He has separate playlists for the build, for raising chickens, pigs, & rabbits. Gardening, worms and meat processing are other playlists.
I will be watching more of his stuff tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoNuWxOlFJDPNBWR_fdk1_A

BucketBack
09-21-2018, 05:45 PM
I git worms in the AM

TJC44
09-21-2018, 06:37 PM
I git worms in the AM

Goin' Fishin'? :biglaugh:

Coastie dad
09-21-2018, 07:28 PM
I git worms in the AM

I get stoned in the morning,