PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new folding knife

Infidel
09-22-2014, 11:10 PM
A while back I lost my beloved SOG Flash II, since then I've been walking around with a Kershaw Blur in my pocket. It doesn't carry the same as that SOG and I find myself looking for a new Knife. Now I could do what most normal people would do and just go buy another Flash II but being the jackass that I am I've decided that I want something different. I've been toying with the idea of picking up another automatic (can one really have too many?) and was looking at the Boker Kalashnikov. It's a good looking knife and opens fast based on the videos I've seen. It's also inexpensive which I like in an EDC knife in case I lose it or break it. I'm a little disappointed in Boker though, the Kalashnikov is made in China! When did Boker start building knives in China???? I knew their Magnum line was built in Taiwan but Boker Knives are supposed to be made in Germany! If it says Boker on it it should be German made IMHO.

Anyway figured I'd vent a bit and throw it out there to you guys to suggest a new blade for me. I like a thick bladed pocket knife with a pocket clip that allows the knife to ride deep in the pocket and I prefer tip down carry although that's not a deal breaker. The new knife doesn't have to be an automatic but I've got a hankering for a new one, it does need to at least be assisted opening though. I've got a bunch of Kershaws but since I'm looking for something new and different I'm trying not to pick up another Kershaw.

-Infidel

1moretoy
09-23-2014, 10:37 AM
I've posted a picture of this one in the past. It's a little too big for me for everyday carry but should fit your criteria. It's a CRKT M16-13 Z

Infidel
09-23-2014, 03:08 PM
I've seen the M-16 before but never really gave them much thought. Might have to revisit that one and take another look. Thanks

-Infidel

1moretoy
09-23-2014, 03:17 PM
What I like most about it is the easy one hand opening and the lock on the lock. Makes it a straight blade when set.

Innkeeper
09-23-2014, 03:43 PM
I've posted a picture of this one in the past. It's a little too big for me for everyday carry but should fit your criteria. It's a CRKT M16-13 Z

Those are nice, I have one, a guy I worked with on my second deployment gave it to me, I put in my GHB it has nice weight to it, and is pretty well balanced.

jeff70
12-21-2014, 05:28 PM
I Have 2 of the M16-01z knives, I carry one daily and have the other in my BOB, I recommend them to everyone, If you do get one or any crkt folder with a clip, put some blue locktite on the belt clip screws, they tend to work loose without it.

sorry for reviving a old post, was just looking around and didn't notice the date.

Infidel
12-21-2014, 08:13 PM
I Have 2 of the M16-01z knives, I carry one daily and have the other in my BOB, I recommend them to everyone, If you do get one or any crkt folder with a clip, put some blue locktite on the belt clip screws, they tend to work loose without it.

sorry for reviving a old post, was just looking around and didn't notice the date.

Actually I forgot all about the original post and haven't replaced that knife yet. I've been carrying my old Kershaw blur since I lost the flash but haven't been happy with it because it sits so much higher in the pocket than the flash did. The pocket clip on the Flash II let it sit so deep in the pocket that you hardly noticed it, hence why I didn't notice it was gone right away. I've been meaning to replace the flash since it went missing but got so busy I haven't had a chance. I'll have to see if I can find an M16 locally to check out.

-Infidel

Inor
12-21-2014, 08:54 PM
I have been carrying a Kershaw Leek for about 6 months now as my EDC and I really like it. But I never clip it to my pocket. I even took the clip off and just carry it in my pocket.

DerBiermeister
12-22-2014, 10:22 AM
A while back I lost my beloved SOG Flash II, since then I've been walking around with a Kershaw Blur in my pocket. It doesn't carry the same as that SOG and I find myself looking for a new Knife. Now I could do what most normal people would do and just go buy another Flash II but being the jackass that I am I've decided that I want something different. I've been toying with the idea of picking up another automatic (can one really have too many?) and was looking at the Boker Kalashnikov. It's a good looking knife and opens fast based on the videos I've seen. It's also inexpensive which I like in an EDC knife in case I lose it or break it. I'm a little disappointed in Boker though, the Kalashnikov is made in China! When did Boker start building knives in China???? I knew their Magnum line was built in Taiwan but Boker Knives are supposed to be made in Germany! If it says Boker on it it should be German made IMHO.

Anyway figured I'd vent a bit and throw it out there to you guys to suggest a new blade for me. I like a thick bladed pocket knife with a pocket clip that allows the knife to ride deep in the pocket and I prefer tip down carry although that's not a deal breaker. The new knife doesn't have to be an automatic but I've got a hankering for a new one, it does need to at least be assisted opening though. I've got a bunch of Kershaws but since I'm looking for something new and different I'm trying not to pick up another Kershaw.

-Infidel

You are already familiar with SOG -- you need to go buy the Twitch XL (with rosewood handle). Nicest feeling blade you'll ever hold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lTyNQDqpsw&feature=player_detailpage

Jeep
12-22-2014, 01:20 PM
CRKT is great, but you can't go wrong with Buck.

Sparkyprep
12-22-2014, 04:32 PM
I'm a big fan of Buck, except that they discontinue my favorite designs. Right now, I carry a Kershaw.

Deebo
12-28-2014, 09:50 PM
My nephews dad is custom making me a knife. He is freaking awesome, his company is Oliver knife works, check him out. I will show pics soon