PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever build a "doghouse" for their generator?.

MI.oldguy
10-04-2018, 01:16 PM
I have been thinking about building one,I never got around to it.we have a champion 7500 watt and keep it in shed.cant run it in there,gas oil,lawn tractor in there.
pretty windy last night,lights flickered a few times.about 1k people UP here without power.our power company is pretty reliable having to deal with winter but,last night was a bitch,due to straight line winds of 60 mph and higher.lights still flickering today (repairs evidently)

Thinking about modified doghouse style with exhaust piping (Alum dryer vent hose?)going out thru side and some kind of funnel setup for carb/air filter and slots down low on all sides?.any ideas?.

No Xfer switch,I would just run a HD cord into house for freezers and lights.not expecting SHTF in my lifetime,just emergency preparedness.

hawgrider
10-04-2018, 01:19 PM
I have been thinking about building one,I never got around to it.we have a champion 7500 watt and keep it in shed.cant run it in there,gas oil,lawn tractor in there.
pretty windy last night,lights flickered a few times.about 1k people UP here without power.our power company is pretty reliable having to deal with winter but,last night was a bitch,due to straight line winds of 60 mph and higher.lights still flickering today (repairs evidently)

Thinking about modified doghouse style with exhaust piping (Alum dryer vent hose?)going out thru side and some kind of funnel setup for carb/air filter and slots down low on all sides?.any ideas?.

No Xfer switch,I would just run a HD cord into house for freezers and lights.not expecting SHTF in my lifetime,just emergency preparedness.

Yup did that at my place I had in Vanderbilt. Make it good size leave one side open for exhaust and you will have to install a fan in one wall to move lots of hot air or the jenny will overheat. It kept it dry and cut the noise down a lot but over heating is an issue you will have to overcome.

Deebo
10-04-2018, 01:21 PM
I would. Weather is hard on equipment. You move that genny around a few times, it will pay off.

Walter Tyler
10-04-2018, 01:24 PM
I would suggest "B" vent in stead of dryer hose for the exhaust.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/images/products/zoom/16204-3.jpg
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Hart-Cooley-16204-5-x-18-B-Round-Gas-Vent-Pipe?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-t_N9LLt3QIVhLjACh2jLQ5AEAQYASABEgJQ9_D_BwE

Are you just trying to keep the genset out of the elements or are you having noise/OPSEC concerns as well?

Also you might want to put a venturi type of setup on the vent to cool the "B" vent. Trust me those gennies get HOT...
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-yoC1dOaPXAg/VFqgIorSQKI/AAAAAAAAAYQ/pH9TNMcXAn4/s1600/duramax_diesel_venturi_tailpipe.jpg

Maybe one of those lil metal portable sheds would work out well. You could insulate it, and it would leave you some room to stand up in for maint/ refueling/ starting...
https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/131e4b20-4256-485d-8ae6-79ed4b5ffb2f_1.d4ce0654012874f746c0553cf3073352.jp eg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

MI.oldguy
10-04-2018, 02:12 PM
No opsec or noise,just emergency power.I don't want her running outside,(especially winter,we get lots of snow)if we have an outage."B" vent?.that stuff is for fireplace right?.don't even know if I want it outside all the time.there is lots of room in the shed.I was thinking something with a roof,exhaust,and plywood 1/2 way up?.I am cheap.(well,poor).yea,she does get hot when I put the compressor to her.

Browsing at utube also...'bout time I did something jic.

Ricekila
10-04-2018, 03:09 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/Stuff/26-Nov-4_zps38b1b020.jpg

BucketBack
10-04-2018, 03:19 PM
I just run in da barn with the doors open. It keeps the mice and cats down...

Infidel
10-04-2018, 04:06 PM
This is something I need to do also, my issue is lack of space for storage. Mine sits outside all year long and needs to be under cover, I'm hoping to get to it this fall but don't know if I will or not. I'm planning on making the exhaust side of the "house" removable for when it's running and a building a fresh air intake into it.

-Infidel

Ricekila
10-04-2018, 04:49 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/RICEKILA/Stuff/26-Nov-4_zps38b1b020.jpg

What I never got around to doing - but will - I put a vent for the exhaust in the back behind the muff - I will install a kitchen exhaust power vent - "backwards" - to blow fresh air in -- closed its fairly quite -- from the street ( 50' ) it really cant be heard --- "I hear a genny ---- lets take it" !

MountainGirl
10-04-2018, 05:59 PM
Our Honda EU7000is is a few steps outside the back door on the covered deck, so no snow or wind issues; and closing it up in a doghouse like the one in Ricekilla's pic would build up too much heat, espc in the summertime, and I need to get to two sides of it for changing the oil, cleaning out the filter, etc. Plus..accessing the fuel tank on top would not be fun having all that structure around it. Noise isn't an issue for us now - and running it isn't in our long term shtf plan anyway.

Ricekila
10-04-2018, 06:13 PM
Our Honda EU7000is is a few steps outside the back door on the covered deck, so no snow or wind issues; and closing it up in a doghouse like the one in Ricekilla's pic would build up too much heat, espc in the summertime, and I need to get to two sides of it for changing the oil, cleaning out the filter, etc. Plus..accessing the fuel tank on top would not be fun having all that structure around it. Noise isn't an issue for us now - and running it isn't in our long term shtf plan anyway.

Now - only when it rains I close the lid -- but the door is open when it runs --

Dwight55
10-04-2018, 08:37 PM
I'm actually toying with the idea of building a doghouse for mine, . . . one that will actually look like a dog house.

I plan to put a doggy dish out there beside it, . . . as well as a chain and a metal "choker chain" collar.

The idea is two fold: a) scare away any ignoramuses who don't know me and might be afraid of my monster dog, . . . and b) camouflage the generator itself, which will be inside but not visible unless the person gets on their knees and crawls over to look inside the doghouse.

My roof will be hinged on both sides, . . . allowing it to open up all the way to keep the jenny cool, . . . allow for re-fueling, . . . and I can do the maintenance on it as needed.

Have not done anything about it yet, . . . but have had it in the back of my mind for a while.

Actually bought the jenny about 4 years ago, . . . have not ran it yet, . . . have not had enough of an outage to make it necessary to run it, . . . yet.

May God bless,
Dwight

MI.oldguy
10-05-2018, 01:15 PM

We have a covered FRONT porch,front door and window nearby,good way to die!.no cover for deck except summer sailcloth so I wont catch fire in the sun.

When I get some spare change we are doing something.I have an idea,decent small pallet I can score,some 2x2's and a sheet of T-111.T-111 on 3 sides,1/2 way up for ventilation,sloped cabin roof(we have some spare squares when our roof got done) T-111 floor,front sheet 1/2 way up hinged at bottom. will make sure clear for exhaust,with two barrel latches at sides to keep door closed.

Gonna make a sketch and get sizing.