PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new chainsaw

Sparkyprep
10-15-2018, 06:32 PM
My old Poulan Pro bit the dust recently. I have been looking at a new Stihle FarmBoss with a 20” bar. $430. :damn: Does anyone have one of these? Or does anyone have any other recommendations?

Inor
10-15-2018, 11:09 PM
To me, chainsaws are like chewing gum; I never buy one until I need it and then I have to buy whatever is available. Last fall my old saw would just not start and keep running and it was about 15 years old, so off to hardware store. All they had was a Poulan for about $150. So I bought it. So far I have cut about 1 1/2 full cords with it and it still runs like new. So I am going with the disposable chainsaw plan until there is a reason not to. The last $150 saw I had cut far more wood than I care to remember.

That being said, you cannot go wrong with a Stihl.

RubberDuck
10-16-2018, 01:53 AM
Can't go wrong with the Stihle

Sweet Stihl chainsaw attachments.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Etheoutdoortrading post%2Ecom%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Fp%3D101516&share_tid=8774&share_pid=101516&share_fid=92204&share_type=t

youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wix4LGF_HpA)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BucketBack
10-16-2018, 04:54 AM
I bought a Stihl MS250 with 18" bar for $299 a couple weeks ago. The 20" bar is nice, but I'm not sure the 271 has enough cc's to pull the chain on the 20" bar.
https://www.jdequipment.com/new-models/2018-stihl-ms-271-farm-boss-26305742b

Sparkyprep
10-16-2018, 09:46 AM
I bought a Stihl MS250 with 18" bar for $299 a couple weeks ago. The 20" bar is nice, but I'm not sure the 271 has enough cc's to pull the chain on the 20" bar.
https://www.jdequipment.com/new-models/2018-stihl-ms-271-farm-boss-26305742b

Thanks for that bit of advice. Maybe stick with the 18" bar. And, I know to look for a better price.

MountainGirl
10-16-2018, 10:18 AM
We've got 4 saws, but wood is what we do. Stihl is the best; Tom treated himself to a new one this year - the MS391 - but that's probably bigger than what you need lol.
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/farm-and-ranch-saws/ms391/

For smaller lightweight use - say just a cord or two, and dropping smaller trees (up to 12"dbh) I really like my new one :)
Milwaukee M18 with a 16"bar.
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/-/media/Products/Power-Tools/Cordless/Outdoor-Power-Equipment/2727-21HD_2.ashx?mw=461&mh=422&hash=6DECB7829F5551450749224F1E68418D9540622F

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Outdoor-Power-Equipment/Chainsaws/2727-21HD
They cant keep them in stock up here, took two weeks to order one in, lol
Had it for about 10 days now and love it. It's 18V, plenty of power.
Kinda spendy ($399) but no fuel to buy, no rope to pull and it's clean & fast.
And quieter than the gas saws. I like that too.
But mostly what I like about it - is if there's ever a time when fuel isn't available, I can still cut.

Sparkyprep
10-16-2018, 10:41 AM
We've got 4 saws, but wood is what we do. Stihl is the best; Tom treated himself to a new one this year - the MS391 - but that's probably bigger than what you need lol.

For smaller lightweight use - say just a cord or two, and dropping smaller trees (up to 12"dbh) I really like my new one :)
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/-/media/Products/Power-Tools/Cordless/Outdoor-Power-Equipment/2727-21HD_2.ashx?mw=461&mh=422&hash=6DECB7829F5551450749224F1E68418D9540622F

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Outdoor-Power-Equipment/Chainsaws/2727-21HD
But mostly what I like about it - is if there's ever a time when fuel isn't available, I can still cut.

Dont think a battery powered saw will work for me. When I saw, it is usually for several hours at a time, processing firewood. However, I do own a small electric (plug in) chainsaw for butchering cows, but for sanitary reasons, that is all I use it for.

MountainGirl
10-16-2018, 10:54 AM
Dont think a battery powered saw will work for me. When I saw, it is usually for several hours at a time, processing firewood. However, I do own a small electric (plug in) chainsaw for butchering cows, but for sanitary reasons, that is all I use it for.

Mine lasted 4 hrs yesterday morning - prolly cause it shuts off between cuts, unless I'm limbing down the side. I had my doubts about that too, but the pro's up here raved about it - and we have plenty of free sunshine so I gave it a go. Glad I did.
Thanks for your feedback!

Walter Tyler
10-16-2018, 11:03 AM
Mine lasted 4 hrs yesterday morning - prolly cause it shuts off between cuts, unless I'm limbing down the side. I had my doubts about that too, but the pro's up here raved about it - and we have plenty of free sunshine so I gave it a go. Glad I did.
Thanks for your feedback!

$199 for a replacement battery...

I wonder if you could run it (off a cord) from three 6V golf cart batteries... you know... when the "fuel" runs out.

hawgrider
10-16-2018, 11:16 AM

I like the idea of a battery chain saw. Perfect for jobs around camp and the deer blinds shooting areas. I have tons of Ryobi Battery tools from hedgers to drills they are the bomb!

BucketBack
10-16-2018, 11:18 AM
My 250 woukldn't start this morning, put a NGK plug in and fresh fuel, no go.

It fired on the 3rd pull this morning, so I probably flooded the combustion chamber

I don't want to take it in to the dealer because Marissa will just shake her head if it's just flooded.

azrancher
10-16-2018, 02:35 PM
I always buy re-manufactured chain saws, saves me a lot of money, I believe I bought my last 2 (same model for backups) from Northern Tool, they were Husqvarna, I've replaced the carbs on both of them, new carbs have "real" adjustment screws, not the crap the sell so the Californians can't adjust the mixtures. I had to replace the carbs because they both started to have the same problem of starting fine, running at an idle fine but would not accelerate, perhaps something in a jet, but I cleaned them and same problem.

I always buy re-manufactured because that means some technician actually put fuel in it and and made it run, all other "new" ones are never even started.

Rancher

Gambit
10-16-2018, 02:37 PM
not to hijack this thread but I cant not help thinking about leatherface
its must be due to it being Halloween so close

BucketBack
10-16-2018, 03:33 PM
I always buy re-manufactured chain saws, saves me a lot of money, I believe I bought my last 2 (same model for backups) from Northern Tool, they were Husqvarna, I've replaced the carbs on both of them, new carbs have "real" adjustment screws, not the crap the sell so the Californians can't adjust the mixtures. I had to replace the carbs because they both started to have the same problem of starting fine, running at an idle fine but would not accelerate, perhaps something in a jet, but I cleaned them and same problem.

I always buy re-manufactured because that means some technician actually put fuel in it and and made it run, all other "new" ones are never even started.

Rancher

The Timberland Dealer fired up my Stihl and adjusted it before I took it home.

It runs fine now that's it's not flooded.:banghead:

Infidel
10-16-2018, 04:18 PM
I've got a small Husqvarna home owner type saw that's been a good saw for me. I don't use it much though and if I was cutting wood for heat I'd go to a Stihl, everyone I know that has one loves them. The battery powered chainsaws are getting great reviews but probably weren't designed for those that burn wood for heat. The draw for me with a battery powered saw is I don't have to deal with gas going bad between uses and turning to varnish in the carb which I've had to deal with in both my chainsaw and string trimmer. I always try to make sure I don't leave them with gas in them but sooner or later it happens and it inevitably goes bad. Best case scenario is cleaning the carb worst is replacing it. It cost me less to replace the carb on my string trimmer last time than the price of the rebuild kit, go figure.

-Infidel

MountainGirl
10-16-2018, 05:36 PM
I've got a small Husqvarna home owner type saw that's been a good saw for me. I don't use it much though and if I was cutting wood for heat I'd go to a Stihl, everyone I know that has one loves them. The battery powered chainsaws are getting great reviews but probably weren't designed for those that burn wood for heat. The draw for me with a battery powered saw is I don't have to deal with gas going bad between uses and turning to varnish in the carb which I've had to deal with in both my chainsaw and string trimmer. I always try to make sure I don't leave them with gas in them but sooner or later it happens and it inevitably goes bad. Best case scenario is cleaning the carb worst is replacing it. It cost me less to replace the carb on my string trimmer last time than the price of the rebuild kit, go figure.

-Infidel

Agree, re the gas hassle. From what I've seen so far - the only limitation on my M18 is the 16" bar. Dropping quantity for wood heat is easier with bigger trees, though I did lay down a few 14"ers and it didn't dog down at all, nor did it hesitate to do all the limbing and also cut to length the top halves of the big ones that Tom dropped. Oh - that '4 hour' reference in my post above? That's how long I lasted yesterday morning; the saw still had plenty of power...3/4 left according to its meter.

Not tryin to sell anybody on it, I'm just really happy with how it performs - especially since $400 is a big chunk of change for us. Tom really appreciates me out there cutting with him - and if I'm ever on my own up here, I'm no longer worried about being able to bring in enough wood myself. It'll take me longer - but that's okay. :)

BucketBack
10-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Agree, re the gas hassle. From what I've seen so far - the only limitation on my M18 is the 16" bar. Dropping quantity for wood heat is easier with bigger trees, though I did lay down a few 14"ers and it didn't dog down at all, nor did it hesitate to do all the limbing and also cut to length the top halves of the big ones that Tom dropped. Oh - that '4 hour' reference in my post above? That's how long I lasted yesterday morning; the saw still had plenty of power...3/4 left according to its meter.

Not tryin to sell anybody on it, I'm just really happy with how it performs - especially since $400 is a big chunk of change for us. Tom really appreciates me out there cutting with him - and if I'm ever on my own up here, I'm no longer worried about being able to bring in enough wood myself. It'll take me longer - but that's okay. :)

Tom approves this post

MountainGirl
10-16-2018, 07:33 PM
Tom approves this post

:) ;)

BucketBack
10-16-2018, 07:53 PM
:) ;)

U C the lunacy in my reply

Camel923
10-16-2018, 09:17 PM
I have a stile butnot that model. It works great.

Gunners Mate
10-16-2018, 09:58 PM
I have a Stihl 441, awesome saw for cutting large trees. It is purely a ground saw for me it big its heavy and it cuts hardwoods like mesquite like butter. All my 2cyl power tools are Stihl some are 20 years old and they fire right up and run all day. Buy once be done buy Stihl. The 441 will run up to a 32 inch bar which is what I run on mine most of the time. This aint no Latte drinkin snowflake SJW saw this is a mans saw, Flannel Shirt wearing Duluth Firehose pant wearin five brothers chewing tobacco using, whiskey drinking, mans saw.

Coastie dad
10-17-2018, 12:59 PM

BucketBack
10-17-2018, 01:33 PM
MS250 wouldn't start again today. Oh it worked well first thing in the AM, after it cooled down, no way Renee. I'll just have to keep it running.

MountainGirl
10-17-2018, 04:14 PM

I cant even start to tell you how repulsive that is.

Coastie dad
10-17-2018, 04:18 PM
Don't say that!
Steve and dudeman sent me those with the Xmas card last year. They're sensitive you know.

MountainGirl
10-17-2018, 04:48 PM
Then they better stay outta the woods. Pretenders get hurt.

hawgrider
10-17-2018, 04:49 PM

You been spying on me?

Coastie dad
10-17-2018, 05:41 PM
Maybe....why?

Gunners Mate
10-17-2018, 07:52 PM

Thas how I weld except for the Boots I wear flip flops

Coastie dad
10-17-2018, 08:58 PM

Slippy
10-18-2018, 04:51 AM
For a mulit-use chainsaw you can't beat the Stihl Farm Boss 20"

Check out the battery powered self sharpening Oregon chain saw for light use

http://oregoncordless.com/product/chain-saw-cs300/

Sparkyprep
10-18-2018, 06:54 AM
For a mulit-use chainsaw you can't beat the Stihl Farm Boss 20"

Check out the battery powered self sharpening Oregon chain saw for light use

http://oregoncordless.com/product/chain-saw-cs300/

That's what I thought, but BB says the 271 doesn't have the hp for a 20" bar

BucketBack
10-18-2018, 03:12 PM
May not have the displacement. It's dam well better than my MS250

BucketBack
10-24-2018, 07:02 PM
After 5 refills, the MS250 has come into it's own. An extra 2 " would come in handy so it would be easier to buck logs on the ground

#Gambit, "that's what she said "

Farm Boss with an 18" for heavy work, 20" for bucking smaller pieces. I should have got one.

You can't just have one saw......................

rice paddy daddy
11-20-2018, 11:40 AM
If you don't cut trees for a living, a Husqvarna will last you forever.

Our property was once part of a tree farm, Southern Yellow Pine planted 12 X 6 - like corn in rows 12 feet apart with trees every 6 feet.
The bulldozer guy pushed down trees to make the 150 foot long drive way, an area for the mobile home, and area for the septic tank and drain field. Just pushed them down an into big piles around the clearings.
In one year, I cut up those 40 foot tall trees into pieces I could pick up and put into the bed of my truck, and took them to the county land fill. I kept the scale tickets, and in one year I had cut and hauled 22,000 pounds of pine trees. I wore out a Poulan, bought a Husky, and she still works fine 20 years later.

The reason y'alls saws run poorly is most likely because you are using ethanol gasoline. For many years I have used 89 octane non-ethanol gas I treat with Sea Foam and Star Tron Enzyme Treatment in all my small engines. They crank right up even after sitting for up to a year.

BucketBack
11-20-2018, 02:26 PM
RPD is correct. I used Mid Grade, + 10% ethanol fuel

I ran it out and dry in my Stihl MS250

I went through 3 gallons this fall cutting up crap pine

Rich1028
11-20-2018, 05:39 PM

251c

BucketBack
04-13-2019, 04:03 AM
I need to buy some of that canned gas for my MS251

The gallon of midgrade I bought for the polar vortex is stale. Time to empty out the snoblowers and 5 gallon gas cans also. Rotate the gas, save on stabil.

Rich1028
04-13-2019, 06:16 PM
used mine last friday,and yesterday!

Slippy
04-13-2019, 06:39 PM
I'm reading this thread and say "shit, I hadn't checked my chainsaws lately"...so I go out to the garage and grab my Stihl MS291 Yard Boss and crank it up...the chain immediately falls off and I;m standing there looking like an idiot. Atleast my Farm Boss is in good shape...if my brother would return it...

BucketBack
04-13-2019, 07:51 PM
There is a chain tensioner somewhere

BucketBack
04-13-2019, 07:55 PM
I need a bigger saw, so I can cut the deadfall and donate it to folks on welfare who make more than me:lost:

eta 150 yo oak, need a 24" bar, and I'll still have to cut around

BucketBack
04-13-2019, 08:02 PM
Then I can drive my property, with the deadfall gone

zI can drag it out of the way, but sand will get in the bark, therefore dulling future chains and bars.

Inor
04-14-2019, 01:59 AM
I'm reading this thread and say "shit, I hadn't checked my chainsaws lately"...so I go out to the garage and grab my Stihl MS291 Yard Boss and crank it up...the chain immediately falls off and I;m standing there looking like an idiot. Atleast my Farm Boss is in good shape...if my brother would return it...

We've already determined that I am completely irrational when it comes to chainsaws. Usually when I buy a tool, I buy the absolute BEST tool that I can afford. I have absolutely no compunction about spending $200 on a tablesaw blade. But for some reason, spending more than $150 on a whole chainsaw seems like highway robbery to me. (And if truth be told, I use my chainsaw more than my tablesaw most years; certainly I depend on it more for day to day life like heating the house.)

That being said... Slip - That plastic framing square in the background of your picture of your nice clean, well used, awesome chainsaw is an absolute disgrace! With all the money you make, you can certainly afford a decent aluminum framing square! How can you expect to do decent work, working with a POS like that?!? :biglaugh:

Slippy
04-14-2019, 06:49 AM
We've already determined that I am completely irrational when it comes to chainsaws. Usually when I buy a tool, I buy the absolute BEST tool that I can afford. I have absolutely no compunction about spending $200 on a tablesaw blade. But for some reason, spending more than $150 on a whole chainsaw seems like highway robbery to me. (And if truth be told, I use my chainsaw more than my tablesaw most years; certainly I depend on it more for day to day life like heating the house.)

That being said... Slip - That plastic framing square in the background of your picture of your nice clean, well used, awesome chainsaw is an absolute disgrace! With all the money you make, you can certainly afford a decent aluminum framing square! How can you expect to do decent work, working with a POS like that?!? :biglaugh:

My good man, that is an original Swanson Aluminum Alloy Speed Square! You owe me a beer or 6!
http://www.swansontoolco.com/product/speed-square/

BucketBack
04-14-2019, 09:10 AM
Busted

Inor
04-14-2019, 12:34 PM
My good man, that is an original Swanson Aluminum Alloy Speed Square! You owe me a beer or 6!
http://www.swansontoolco.com/product/speed-square/

Will do! I stand corrected! My sincere apologies. :biglaugh:

shootbrownelk
04-15-2019, 09:51 AM
$199 for a replacement battery...

I wonder if you could run it (off a cord) from three 6V golf cart batteries... you know... when the "fuel" runs out.

REALLY?? Two Hundred Bucks for a battery?? What a rip-off.