PDA

View Full Version : Dow jones took a pounding.

RWalls
10-09-2014, 08:43 PM
Are we about to see the market fall apart again? Down 335 points today. Ouch!

Peacekeeper
10-09-2014, 09:29 PM
It sure did!

dsdmmat
10-10-2014, 07:06 AM
I moved my retirment accounts into government securities after the first -200 hit. I am glad I did the investment I got out of dropped another 40 cents a share since I got out of it. I will look to get back in at the end of the year after things calm down a bit. I should be able to get in really cheap then.

rice paddy daddy
10-10-2014, 07:57 AM
The government has been artificially propping up the market. Sooner or later they will stop, and the "correction" will be a healthy thing.

RWalls
10-10-2014, 02:04 PM
The government has been artificially propping up the market. Sooner or later they will stop, and the "correction" will be a healthy thing.

Yes QE and low interest rates have been keeping the Dow up at record breaking levels, I have just been wondering when it would tank. Today it's down more. I just wonder when the bottom is going to fall out.

Pauls
10-10-2014, 05:35 PM
They will do all they can to keep the market from dropping too fast - even if it means more debt.

Coppertop
10-11-2014, 07:53 AM
Glad I "panic-ed" when I did. Holy crap.

Denton
10-11-2014, 03:44 PM
Pulled out of stocks a little while ago while it was still climbing for reasons I couldn't understand. The last few weeks of trading make the markets resemble a bi-polar off his meds. That usually means bad times.

TJC44
10-11-2014, 03:44 PM
By coincidence, I got my 401K statement today.
Ugh.
Not that there will be anything to retire TO in 2030.

TJC

Denton
10-11-2014, 05:17 PM
Dam breaks in Europe as deflation fears wash over ECB rhetoric
'We are reaching the end game in Europe. If they don’t launch real QE soon, the consequences are too awful to contemplate,' warns RBS

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11154553/Dam-breaks-in-Europe-as-deflation-fears-wash-over-ECB-rhetoric.html

Oct 10 (Reuters) - Regulators from the United States and the United Kingdom will get together in a war room next week to see if they can cope with any possible fall-out when the next big bank topples over, the two countries said on Friday.

"We are going to make sure that we can handle an institution that previously would have been regarded as too big to fail. We're confident that we now have choices that did not exist in the past," Osborne said at the International Monetary Fund's annual meeting.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/10/banks-regulations-collapse-idUSL2N0S52LK20141010

Yes, they sure do have choices that did not exist in the past. They are now willing and able to raid everything from personal retirement accounts to Grandma's saving's account.

I know, not exactly talking Dow, but all interconnected.

Inor
10-11-2014, 06:57 PM
This just one man's opinion....

I am not as worried about the DOW as I am about the NASDAQ. The DOW is just 30, mostly "old economy", companies. The NASDAQ is the tech heavy index that is where most of the up and coming U.S. companies are traded. Unfortunately, that got slaughtered worse than the DOW this week.

I think we are coming to the end of the self-fulfilling feedback loop with the economy. The only thing that has been driving stock prices higher the last few years is the Fed keeping interest cheap. As long as they kept pounding the drum that the economy was on life support and they needed to keep interest down, retail investors stayed out of the markets and kept them from overheating which allowed the Fed to keep pounding the drum. The JP Morg and the Goldman Sach were invested heavily and made scads of money. But as long as the markets were driven higher by only a few big fish investors, everything worked fine.

Those drum beats are not working any more. That is why the markets have gotten so psychotic lately, in my arrogant opinion. That is going to force the Fed to start raising rates, which is going to force more volatility and larger pull backs.

I think we passed the point of no return on this about two years ago and I am really surprised it has taken this long to start to come apart. It is going to be bad, I think. REAL bad.

Denton
10-11-2014, 08:14 PM
They'd love to raise the rates, but they know that'd choke whatever growth has occurred. They have backed themselves into a corner.

Inor
10-11-2014, 10:39 PM
They'd love to raise the rates, but they know that'd choke whatever growth has occurred. They have backed themselves into a corner.

The Fed has lost control of everything. They did a couple years back. They are simply reacting now.

Somebody a page back (I do not recall who) mentioned they will do anything they can to keep it going including issuing more debt. At this point, more debt will not even solve the problem. It may postpone it, but the fall will be even harder then. (But is just my arrogant opinion.)

RWalls
10-13-2014, 07:23 AM
Gotta love our Gubment.

Inor
10-13-2014, 07:43 PM
Down again big today, with NASDAQ leading the way. They are down more than 10% from the high less than a month ago, most of it coming in the last 3 sessions. Meanwhile, everybody is keeping their eyes on Ebola.

RWalls
10-13-2014, 09:25 PM
Down again big today, with NASDAQ leading the way. They are down more than 10% from the high less than a month ago, most of it coming in the last 3 sessions. Meanwhile, everybody is keeping their eyes on Ebola.

Coincidence isn't it? Right before the election. Hmm.

Montana Rancher
10-14-2014, 09:31 PM
sell stocks

buy silver

RWalls
10-15-2014, 08:47 PM
These drops are just people getting nervous over an uncertain market. I think the bottom is going to fall out hard and fast. If you're playing the market get out now.

Denton
10-17-2014, 12:28 PM
Today, the markets are rising sharply.

Schizophrenia.

Pauls
10-17-2014, 10:20 PM
For every dollar someone loses in the market there is someone making that dollar back. When the market goes down and then up and back down you just have to know when to buy and when to sell - and which stocks to use. The choice and the timing makes it a good market for smart investors but hell on those who haven't the time to watch or the resources to know the timing.

Always buy low, sell high and never invest what you can't afford to lose.

Arizona Infidel
10-18-2014, 12:36 AM
Today, the markets are rising sharply.

Schizophrenia.An election is coming up. They will keep it up till after January if Republicans win. They may keep it up till after O leaves office. Then it will fall apart. Its coming. You just have to think about who the mega money bank breakers like Soros support.