PDA

View Full Version : Metal for knives

Coppertop
10-11-2014, 08:18 AM
Last year I decided to "make" some knives. I bought some blanks and some handle material off some internet stores. It was a project I could work on it the small space I had, giving me something to do other than sit on the couch eating Bon Bon's.

I have completed a dozen or so knives and a local store put a few of them on the shelf for me. Sold a couple, but after the store takes a commission, I just make back my materials. I would like to start building some more, but I would like to build some better knives.

What kind of steel (hardness, Rockwell #, material, etc) do you suggest that I look for?

I really like the look of Damascus knives but am finding that the blanks vary in the way they hold an edge. Not only from blank to blank, but from one end of the edge to the other. The knife I made the GF holds a really nice edge and after she gutted 2 deer, you can barely tell it's been used. The same knife I built for myself will hold a really nice edge from about half way back, but the front end of it will barely make its' way through one gutting job without needing help. I sharpen them the same way and my knife starts out sharp.

Any ideas on the Damascus ?

Thanks

Infidel
10-11-2014, 10:41 PM
Damascus I have no idea. I've been making knives from old files. I pick them up at yard sales and they make pretty good knives. Lately I've been thinking of moving up to store bought steel, 01 tool steel is primarily what I'm considering since I can still harden and temper it myself and it will still give me some rust resistance. I'm going to try a forced patina using black walnut hulls on the knife I'm working on now and see if that offers any rust resistance, this one is made from a 10" Nicholson Mill file and should make a pretty good skinner when it's done. I'll post pics when it's done.

-Infidel

Innkeeper
10-12-2014, 05:51 PM
Been a long weekend at work here, I will think of the name and it will come to me later today but one of the guys on here makes knives and does beautiful work with Damascus, and may be able to answer your questions. But because I am trying to remember his name it will not come to me right now, which is usual.

Deebo
11-06-2014, 01:10 PM
Found an awesome peice of metal, was the swinging arm blade part of a four foot paper cutter.
Tried cutting on the bandsaw, wouldn't touch it.
So I hid it at work....someone found it..
I also have access to unlimited used files, working with a machine shop next door.

Infidel
11-06-2014, 02:30 PM
Found an awesome peice of metal, was the swinging arm blade part of a four foot paper cutter.
Tried cutting on the bandsaw, wouldn't touch it.
So I hid it at work....someone found it..
I also have access to unlimited used files, working with a machine shop next door.

That would make a nice blade if it's thick enough files are what I've been using and they work pretty well. Now that I have an anvil I'm not limited to flat files, I can forge just about anything to flat and use it. Try annealing Carbon steel before cutting it'll be a whole lot easier to cut. I build a big fire and then throw the steel (usually a file) in and let it burn out. Pull the steel out of the ashes the next day and it should be a lot easier to work with. You will have to heat treat it again before assembly but that's not a huge issue either. Heat it to critical temperature and test it against a magnet to make sure it doesn't stick then quench in oil. I use used motor oil for quenching but I know there's guys that use cooking oil. The problem with carbon steel blades is they rust so I'm looking for ways to reduce rusting on my blades. I did see a video on youtube that suggests rubbing the blade down with black walnut hulls to force patina and reduce corrosion, it will still need to be oiled but less often I suppose. I'm also thinking of trying one of the cerakote type products on a blade or 2 to see how that holds up. Seems to me it would chip off fairly quickly but I don't know enough about it to say for sure.

-Infidel

Deebo
11-06-2014, 02:54 PM
Sweet, I see the logo.

Infidel
11-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Sweet, I see the logo.

Still trying to get around to ordering the maker's mark stamp. Maybe after Christmas, we'll see how that goes I guess.

-Infidel

Pauls
11-07-2014, 01:04 PM
A highly polished blade will not rust as easily as a blade that is not highly polished. Baking it in oil will also make it more rust resistant.

Infidel
11-07-2014, 05:05 PM
You are correct sir, the finer the polish the harder it is for rust to get started. A high polish also make people not want to use them for fear of scratching them up. Doesn't bother me much I make knives to be used so I don't much care if I scuff it up, I can always re-polish the blade if necessary.

-Infidel