PDA

View Full Version : Could you survive with what's in your pockets?

Coastie dad
01-01-2019, 12:30 AM
In the spirit of the event that pissed me off at a couple of expert old timers on another forum, I'll post this question here.

Could you, if placed in a survival/emergency situation, on any given day, survive with what's in your pockets for say, 24-36 hours?

Now, over there a comment was made about people not wearing cargo pants every day (which I do) so I'm immediately disqualified from their conversation because they would not believe what I carry in my pockets. Of course, I can't on the unit, but my pocket kit is on my body once I step out the door of the hospital.

So...could you survive for at least 24 hours in town, on the side of a highway, in the woods, underwater, or trapped in the basement of a bordello with what you have in your pockets?

Inor
01-01-2019, 12:41 AM
I can manage anything, with very few tools for 24 hours. 72 hours might start to become a problem, especially when I am travelling. And unfortunately, there is very little I can do to remedy the situation since I mostly travel by air and am being looked after by the TSA.

Coastie dad
01-01-2019, 07:22 AM
The experts over there only want to talk about " in the woods" but most of us may face an emergency during our work week. Face it, around 5/7 of your week, or about 71% of your daylight hours (assuming daylight work) is spent in a non-woods environment.

Yet I still carry on me Leatherman, knife, light, boo boo bag, firemaking kit, mylar blanket, and cash. Include a gun when not at the hospital. All that is in my cargo pants right now. Yet the other xperts, well, like I said, no one actually wears cargo pants every day and carries all that stuff.

But what they consider a PSK, I think a lot of us consider EDC.

So, could you survive with just your EDC?

Dwight55
01-01-2019, 07:43 AM
I have enough of my main meds to get me thru 24 to 36 hours, . . . a serious pocket knife, . . . and my fire starter stick, . . . as well as my firearm and some ammo.

Yes, . . . I should be good for up to 36 hours, . . . and if I'm near my vehicle, . . . I have my GHB in there with bunches of other goodies.

Given a situation where I am 100 miles or less from home, . . . that is my destination. Outside of that distance, . . . I'll have to make other arrangements. Get home will be the idea, . . . but I don't pack enough for an extreme distance.

May God bless,
Dwight

Sarge7402
01-01-2019, 08:17 AM
In the spirit of the event that pissed me off at a couple of expert old timers on another forum, I'll post this question here.

Could you, if placed in a survival/emergency situation, on any given day, survive with what's in your pockets for say, 24-36 hours?

Now, over there a comment was made about people not wearing cargo pants every day (which I do) so I'm immediately disqualified from their conversation because they would not believe what I carry in my pockets. Of course, I can't on the unit, but my pocket kit is on my body once I step out the door of the hospital.

So...could you survive for at least 24 hours in town, on the side of a highway, in the woods, underwater, or trapped in the basement of a bordello with what you have in your pockets?

Coastie: Those folks are insane. The organization I work for our duty uniform is cargo pants 80% of the time. And you're right once I'm out of the unit I've got stuff to load and last at least 24 hours if not longer. Course I'm not looking at a bug out scene but a get home scene.

And that also includes signing out items from the unit. on a temp basis

Gambit
01-01-2019, 08:31 AM
is pocket lint useful?

Innkeeper
01-01-2019, 08:53 AM
I don’t wear my 5.11’s every day but I always have the basics on me or within 500 feet. Since I completed my EMT course in between my other college classes I keep a small but useful first aid kit on me at all times. But I am never far from my vehicle no matter if it is work or travel and I always have a GHB in there plus a bigger first aid kit.
I am not sure what these so called “experts” do on this other site, but even before I retired from the military, and just as much since, I make sure the things I need are always near at hand for when or if I need them.
If I was caught in a situation where all I had was what was in my pockets then I didn’t read the situation correct and 21 years of military training of always being prepared was wasted. Plus it means the common sense my folks taught me never took.
Hypothetical situations that can’t happen if your really prepared are less possible then hitting big on the lottery.
IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawgrider
01-01-2019, 09:01 AM
is pocket lint useful?

Belly button lint to start a fire for the win!

Big Ken
01-01-2019, 09:34 AM
During a week day, maybe, I have a small pocket knife, phone, wallet and some cash, my work doesn't allow weapons so non are carried, if
the weekend and my weekend starts late on Saturday then yes, add a gun and a bigger knife, more cash, to be honest if it were a very harsh
situation I'll most likely die.

MoreAmmoOK
01-01-2019, 10:32 AM
I can't remember the last time I was more than 5 minutes away(walking) from my GHB. Other than a kidnapping/hostage situation having to survive for any period of time with just my pocket stuff isn't going to be necessary. If I have to survive with just what's in my pockets I adequately fill my pockets. Anything less doesn't fit the meaning of "being prepared".

Coastie dad
01-01-2019, 11:32 AM
I can patch up minor body fluid leakage, salve a burn or bite, keep myself relatively dry and warm with a mylar blanket, start a fire or three, call for help if I have service, signal for a rescue team, defend myself, buy food, water, if available for purchase, and a bus ticket or cab.

In my pockets, right now, and I'm sitting at home, having just walked in from the barn.

Sparkyprep
01-01-2019, 02:17 PM
At any given time, in my pockets, I have a folding pocket knife, a Leatherman, a lighter, my wallet, and my phone. If I’m not at work, you can add a S&W Shield to that list. 24-48 hours would be no problem. I am never more than 5 minutes away from my GHB, and with that, I can stretch it out to weeks. If I have my truck as well, I can make it across the country on a moments notice.

Sasquatch
01-01-2019, 07:41 PM
So many variables to a question like this. But for the most part I think I could survive pretty well in just about any situation for that amount of time. If it were going to be longer I would start collecting what I need.

Everyday I carry (my gear) 6 items on my person, 7 if it's daytime.

K7JLJ
01-02-2019, 06:19 AM
With a small fixed blade, mini bic, ferro and jute, flashlight,compass... and more importantly that USMC principle called "adapt and overcome"... I believe I could survive.

Coastie dad
01-02-2019, 10:14 AM
Well, guys, the kids need thing I see repeatedly here and the other forum for s the lack of water container and purification.

Let s hear some thoughts....

Deebo
01-02-2019, 11:15 AM
Well, at work, DEEBO is dead. I have a phone, wallet, and cigarretts and lighter.
In the truck, I have some gear bags, but I just unloaded most of it, after eight days of tent camping.
I guess all i can say is "remember me!"

Mister Mills
01-02-2019, 12:21 PM

Yes, I could survive, anyone could if they don't freak out, and lose it. I would lay low, until things settled down, that is about 95% of survival. And I always have a knife on me, or a aluminum Jo [walking stick].

PS: I have been hooted down on a martial arts forum, when I called most of it garbage, and posing. That pissed off a lot of posers.

PSS: I am a former EMT and I had Combat Lifesaver training, and it takes a lot to spook me. And I am not the least bit troubled by blood; I can stop the bleeding and save a life, or I can start the bleeding and take a life. I am flexible.

Mister Mills
01-02-2019, 12:31 PM
Well, guys, the kids need thing I see repeatedly here and the other forum for s the lack of water container and purification.

If I am fortunate, I will have some of this on hand, or I will buy some mach schnell. It is 8.25% chlorine bleach, and it will purify a lot of water, pretty fast.

Sparkyprep
01-02-2019, 03:17 PM
Water strained through a t shirt and boiled is fine to drink. You are never more than 10 ft. from garbage, so find a soda can and build a fire. The most essential survival tool you can have is between your ears.

lopie
01-03-2019, 10:04 PM

If I had a belt container, I'd be pretty set with what's on my person (pockets, belt, neck), but the whole reason I went down the PSK (on me) path was the inconspicuous nature of it. I can carry a lot of stuff with no one knowing... so when a backpack seems inappropriate or unavailable I have stuff. Wearing a canteen would get questions asked.

So, my limited answer at the moment is ziplok bags and water purification tablets or liquid*. I have a few quart bags and a few gallon bags. The gallon bags to hold the quart bag (which is perfect size for the purification tablet).

* I carry Oil of Oregano essential oil, 0.5 ounce bottle in my FAK pouch which is always in one of my cargo pockets.

Coastie dad
01-04-2019, 05:40 PM
Need to check out those bags at 5col's place. They're supposed to one double tough.

lopie
01-04-2019, 06:24 PM
Need to check out those bags at 5col's place. They're supposed to one double tough.

which bags?

Coastie dad
01-04-2019, 09:52 PM
Some kind of pocket roll up canteen/flask. Go to his shop and look at the sale items. He also has some with a heavyweight Ziploc type closure.

Innkeeper
01-04-2019, 10:30 PM
The Sawyer Filter is only about 4” long and maybe as wide as a roll of quarters, comes with an attachable bag, and a straw attachment, plus it can screw onto a pop bottle and can be put inline on a camel back or other water system. Works very well and easily can be put in your jeans or coat pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coastie dad
01-05-2019, 12:47 AM
Yes, I had one. (Stolen during the great Dallas Truck Theft)

The flasks are notorious for rupturing when attempting to push water through the filter, and they don't fit all bottles. Some manufacturers changed size slightly, using the same as cheap water bottles.

I think the major brands, though, such as coke and Pepsi still use the standard size and thread.

rice paddy daddy
01-12-2019, 08:46 AM
At one time I carried enough gear in my pockets to survive, it was a holdover from the war.
About the only thinking that has held over after 50 years is I still use 72” leather boot laces. That extra length can come in handy for multiple tasks including lashing your fixed blade knife to a length of bamboo or tree branch to make a spear.
Heck I even used to carry a spoon to eat with.

But now I’m an old geezer and getting soft. Just carry a pocket pistol, small knife, big knife, plus usual civilian requirements.