PDA

View Full Version : How Long to Boil Drinking Water until Safe or Disinfected?

hawgrider
01-07-2019, 05:44 AM
It seems a couple here have a new interest in this stuff so back to basics-

90 percent of the world’s water is contaminated in some way according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. There are a variety of microscopic organisms that can contaminate water supplies. They can cause potentially serious, even fatal, illnesses among wilderness travelers.

Dipping your head into a cold mountain stream and taking a long refreshing drink. It’s an experience that has basically vanished from the wilderness and other areas.

In the wilderness, enjoy- https://modernsurvivalblog.com/health/how-long-to-boil-drinking-water/

BucketBack
01-07-2019, 06:17 AM
I usually forget and it boils for a few more minutes, then I strain it with cloth

Coastie dad
01-07-2019, 08:18 AM
I usually strain/filter first into my boil pot. A Sawyer squeeze or mini works if you don't carry a pump filter, but I try to carry the pump style to keep from dipping my hands into the water if I'm leery of it.

shootbrownelk
01-07-2019, 08:22 AM
Maybe someone that resides in Flint can chime in on what works for them.

hawgrider
01-07-2019, 09:05 AM
Maybe someone that resides in Flint can chime in on what works for them.

You can't even boil that water!

Coastie dad
01-07-2019, 11:05 AM
It's the damned chemicals in the water. A lot of our water was polluted due to run off from chicken houses. I've got to have my well checked AGAIN this year. That's why the county put in city water for free. Because their laws allowed the pollution to continue, I'm sure with several palms being greased.

Innkeeper
01-07-2019, 11:35 AM
I know a couple sweet clean and very cold artesian wells up my way, one guy even put some pipes in his to run it back to the river near him to keep from flooding his yard. But boy is it great on a hot summer day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coastie dad
01-07-2019, 12:31 PM
I've got a spring by my house, but same deal. We have to have the water tested annually. Gonna have to set up a large "water" distillery.

TJC44
01-07-2019, 02:38 PM
I've got a spring by my house, but same deal. We have to have the water tested annually. Gonna have to set up a large "water" distillery.

"Coastie's Pure Spring Water" Available at The Outdoor Trading Post.

What do you think?

Coastie dad
01-07-2019, 03:06 PM
In an undisclosed "proof"..