PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to charge?

MountainGirl
02-17-2019, 02:07 PM

This recent and still ongoing snow event confirmed our need to be ready. We had just enough of a break yesterday to dig out and run down for more gas for the generator. Our solar system is big enough for our needs, but only up to a point... and that point is having 2 weeks of no sun, and no gas left. We were right at the edge of shutting down all electricals (to save the last of the batteries for the well pump) when the break came. Oh, we'd have survived: wood heat, snow for water, plenty of food stocked etc... but it would be nice to be able to charge a phone.

Does anyone have any ideas, input, recommendations, etc, for a portable solar charger for a cell phone? Or maybe a solar charger into a little battery pack to charge a phone with? Not sure which way to go here.... I know it takes sunlight (lol) and likely wouldn't have done the job these last two weeks...but... IF our big system ever went totally tits-up for good - a phone would be a nice thing to keep functional somehow.

I've searched online to see what's out there, and how to do this, but reviews vary too much... so anything you can share about how you would do it - would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Sparkyprep
02-17-2019, 02:14 PM
I have a "Dragon" solar charger for my phone in my GHB. It has a built-in battery, and claims that it can charge two devices at once. (I've never tried it). I does fine charging up my phone, and because of the battery, it can even charge my phone without sunlight. Got it on Amazon. Maybe not the best, but adequate for me in an emergency.

BucketBack
02-17-2019, 02:15 PM
There are portable chargers out there, but I can't find them now. Maybe Tomorrow, but I have a drug test then.

BucketBack
02-17-2019, 02:15 PM
Knot in trouble, pre - employment screen for dementia clients local.

Sparkyprep
02-17-2019, 02:18 PM
Here it is.

https://www.amazon.com/X-DRAGON-Charger-10000mAh-Technology-Compatible/dp/B07HNVZW6B/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=dragon+solar+charger&qid=1550434631&s=gateway&sr=8-11

Dwight55
02-17-2019, 03:06 PM
You are obviously using light bulbs in the house.

If you use a "grow light" that is supposed to mimic the sun, . . . would it not also work your solar charger??

I don't know if it would work, . . . but if it were my dilemma, . . . I would be tempted to take a whack at it. Since you have to have electrical lights burning, . . . replace one with a grow light and see what happens.

AND, . . . I wouldn't put all my money in that particular Amazon idea, . . . some solar chargers do work after the light has come thru a window. My wife has several little solar powered toys in our kitchen window that work all day long while the sun is out.

May God bless,
Dwight

MountainGirl
02-17-2019, 06:45 PM
I have a "Dragon" solar charger for my phone in my GHB. It has a built-in battery, and claims that it can charge two devices at once. (I've never tried it). I does fine charging up my phone, and because of the battery, it can even charge my phone without sunlight. Got it on Amazon. Maybe not the best, but adequate for me in an emergency.

Here it is.

https://www.amazon.com/X-DRAGON-Charger-10000mAh-Technology-Compatible/dp/B07HNVZW6B/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=dragon+solar+charger&qid=1550434631&s=gateway&sr=8-11

Thanks, Sparky, I'll check it out. Do you recall how long it took in the sun to charge the battery up for you?

MountainGirl
02-17-2019, 06:55 PM
You are obviously using light bulbs in the house.

If you use a "grow light" that is supposed to mimic the sun, . . . would it not also work your solar charger??

I don't know if it would work, . . . but if it were my dilemma, . . . I would be tempted to take a whack at it. Since you have to have electrical lights burning, . . . replace one with a grow light and see what happens.

AND, . . . I wouldn't put all my money in that particular Amazon idea, . . . some solar chargers do work after the light has come thru a window. My wife has several little solar powered toys in our kitchen window that work all day long while the sun is out.

May God bless,
Dwight

Hi Dwight, thanks for your reply!

I googled your idea... and it looks like any kind of artificial light could be used to charge through a solar cell - IF it's bright enough..seems I recall having an old TI calculator that kept itself charged under my desk light.

What I'm tryin to do, is have a way to charge a phone while out in the boonies totally, without a cabin light to use or plugged into the cabin's solar system to charge directly. LOL solar toys; we have a daisy with a bee on it in the kitchen window that flaps its leaves & clicks all the time & drives the cats nutz. I like that. :D

MoreAmmoOK
02-17-2019, 07:16 PM
A good sized UPS (uninterruptible power supply) like used on computer equipment. Charges during the times of good power, runs for a while when power is down. I have several, main use is to protect electronics from nasty power. When the power is out I shut down the electronics and use them to charge phones and power things like small battery chargers and LED lights.

Sparkyprep
02-17-2019, 07:49 PM
A good sized UPS (uninterruptible power supply) like used on computer equipment. Charges during the times of good power, runs for a while when power is down. I have several, main use is to protect electronics from nasty power. When the power is out I shut down the electronics and use them to charge phones and power things like small battery chargers and LED lights.

I have several large UPS, on my computer, Direct TV receiver, etc. I never thought of using them to charge cell phones. Thanks!

Sparkyprep
02-17-2019, 07:50 PM
Thanks, Sparky, I'll check it out. Do you recall how long it took in the sun to charge the battery up for you?

It took quite a while. About 10 hrs in bright light. It will take longer on cloudy days.

MountainGirl
02-17-2019, 08:22 PM

Hi, thanks!
The UPS itself is charged up though with "good power" which I take to mean grid or gen or large solar system; i.e with an inverter.. Is that right?

Back Pack Hack
02-17-2019, 08:43 PM
Hi, thanks!
The UPS itself is charged up though with "good power" which I take to mean grid or gen or large solar system; i.e with an inverter.. Is that right?

Yes. A UPS is basically a battery bank, very similar to what you're already using. They're typically free-standing, self-contained units. You hook them up to utility/generator power, and they have chargers built into them to charge & maintain the batteries.

Sparkyprep
02-17-2019, 08:45 PM
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpower-1500va-battery-back-up-system-black/3938817.p?skuId=3938817

I have 3 of these in my home, backing up and protecting various systems.

Inor
02-17-2019, 09:08 PM
I have a little solar charger that came with our emergency radio that works great. The thing is maybe 7X10 inches when fully unrolled and has a micro-USB connection on it. It takes about 3-4 hours to charge either of our phones from about 50%. I do not know how many watts it puts out, but I have run a Raspberry Pi directly from it with no additional power and it works fine. Plus it is flexible so it rolls up into a roll less than an inch in diameter.

Dwight55
02-17-2019, 09:42 PM
Hi Dwight, thanks for your reply!

I googled your idea... and it looks like any kind of artificial light could be used to charge through a solar cell - IF it's bright enough..seems I recall having an old TI calculator that kept itself charged under my desk light.

What I'm tryin to do, is have a way to charge a phone while out in the boonies totally, without a cabin light to use or plugged into the cabin's solar system to charge directly. LOL solar toys; we have a daisy with a bee on it in the kitchen window that flaps its leaves & clicks all the time & drives the cats nutz. I like that. :D

The other thing you can do is get a GM alternator off any fairly late model GM car (others may work as well).

You only need three things for it to work: 1) mount it securely, . . . 2) run a shaft up from it thru the roof to a wind catcher that looks like half balls on the end of sticks, . . . they turn easy in almost no breeze, . . . 3) a battery for the alternator to charge. They have a built in voltage regulator, . . . so you can safely leave it hooked up to that battery indefinitely, . . . and with your inverter hooked to the battery, . . . you can charge all sorts of stuff.

I'm gonna fix one here at my place later this year, . . . for the same reasons.

May God bless,
Dwight

Back Pack Hack
02-17-2019, 09:51 PM
If'n you're handy with small electronics projects and soldering:

Git yessef some TEC1-12706 thermoelectric peltier podules and one or two L7805 voltage regulators. The former will produce electricity from heat (like a fire), the latter will regulate it to 5VDC. Splice in a USB cord and you're charging devices off your woodburner.

Probably the same technology built into these (https://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/campstove-2).

You can buy 10 peltier modules and 20 regulators online for less than $25, so you can make several chargers.

Deebo
02-18-2019, 07:37 AM
I'm going out on a limb here, but there has to be some kinda "hand crank" that charge a battery?
Also, there are ways to convert 9V batteries to charge a cellphone, its slow, but better than a dead battery.

MountainGirl
02-18-2019, 08:10 AM
The other thing you can do is get a GM alternator off any fairly late model GM car (others may work as well).

You only need three things for it to work: 1) mount it securely, . . . 2) run a shaft up from it thru the roof to a wind catcher that looks like half balls on the end of sticks, . . . they turn easy in almost no breeze, . . . 3) a battery for the alternator to charge. They have a built in voltage regulator, . . . so you can safely leave it hooked up to that battery indefinitely, . . . and with your inverter hooked to the battery, . . . you can charge all sorts of stuff.

I'm gonna fix one here at my place later this year, . . . for the same reasons.

May God bless,
Dwight

Another good idea. Thanks!

MountainGirl
02-18-2019, 08:28 AM

Git yessef some TEC1-12706 thermoelectric peltier podules and one or two L7805 voltage regulators. The former will produce electricity from heat (like a fire), the latter will regulate it to 5VDC. Splice in a USB cord and you're charging devices off your woodburner.

Probably the same technology built into these (https://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/campstove-2).

You can buy 10 peltier modules and 20 regulators online for less than $25, so you can make several chargers.

Well now, thats one interesting link; thanks! Ya know, I've been watching this thing spin all winter and your idea would work great on the sunless days of winter (of which today will be day 15 for that...) Hmmmm...

I have an idea. Need to think on this.

Back Pack Hack
02-18-2019, 08:31 AM
I'm going out on a limb here, but there has to be some kinda "hand crank" that charge a battery? ...

I tried one of those K-tor (https://www.k-tor.com/hand-crank-generator/) things. Had a heart attack cranking for 15 minutes..... and never gained one percent on the battery.

...Also, there are ways to convert 9V batteries to charge a cellphone, its slow, but better than a dead battery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY7lkchmkcs

MountainGirl
02-18-2019, 08:32 AM
I'm going out on a limb here, but there has to be some kinda "hand crank" that charge a battery?
Also, there are ways to convert 9V batteries to charge a cellphone, its slow, but better than a dead battery.

Hey Deebo, nice to see you. I researched the 'hand crank' options out there, to keep a radio charged up, seemed to be an hour of cranking for 15 min of use. Phones pull less so that might be doable. I'll check out the 9V conversion idea. Thanks!

MountainGirl
02-18-2019, 08:44 AM

Might be the way to go would be to use your device to slow-charge up a battery pack, it could sit on the stove all day/night long, and then charge the phone off the pack. Would have to shield the pack from the heat... it could sit off the stove to the side... Thoughts?

Back Pack Hack
02-18-2019, 08:54 AM
Might be the way to go would be to use your device to slow-charge up a battery pack, it could sit on the stove all day/night long, and then charge the phone off the pack. Would have to shield the pack from the heat... it could sit off the stove to the side... Thoughts?

I've seen it done, and I have the parts to build one to try it out. I just haven't had time to put it all together and test it out. When I do, I'll post a video.

In the meantime, here's the voltage regulator hooked up to my power supply to show how it works:

shootbrownelk
02-18-2019, 09:08 AM
Brunton makes several sizes of roll up solar panels to charge batteries. I have one for when I'm hunting in the boonies to charge my phone. It works great. I've had mine for years, I hope they still make them.

MountainGirl
02-18-2019, 09:13 AM
Brunton makes several sizes of roll up solar panels to charge batteries. I have one for when I'm hunting in the boonies to charge my phone. It works great. I've had mine for years, I hope they still make them.

Googled. They do. :)
Thanks!

hag
02-18-2019, 10:10 AM
Seen a video of a guy who mounted a bicycle stationary and welded the chain cog somehow to an old chevy alternator. Used it like an exercise bike for an hour or so and charged up a car battery. He then used an inverter to power his appliances etc.... sorry i dont know all the details but a google should get you some blueprints if you are interested

MountainGirl
02-18-2019, 12:06 PM
Seen a video of a guy who mounted a bicycle stationary and welded the chain cog somehow to an old chevy alternator. Used it like an exercise bike for an hour or so and charged up a car battery. He then used an inverter to power his appliances etc.... sorry i dont know all the details but a google should get you some blueprints if you are interested

LOL thanks hag. I get so damn much exercise now choppin haulin diggin shovellin & hiking up and down this mountain - dont think that my poor legs could handle one more thing! :D

MountainGirl
03-01-2019, 11:46 AM
I decided on this charger to try, it and a couple of the batteries, they came in last week, glad I got them up here cause the main batts will now be pretty much only for pumping water.

6071 6072

You'll know if they work - since the phone is my only access online after today.:halo:
Thanks again guys for all your input!

Back Pack Hack
03-01-2019, 11:57 AM
I decided on this charger to try, it and a couple of the batteries, they came in last week, glad I got them up here cause the main batts will now be pretty much only for pumping water.

6071 6072

You'll know if they work - since the phone is my only access online after today.:halo:
Thanks again guys for all your input!

I have a similar get up with a couple GoalZero panels and a couple portable chargers.

MountainGirl
03-02-2019, 10:20 AM
Sun came out this am. Found a good use for the shovel. Phone down to 12%. The race is on!!

Back Pack Hack
03-02-2019, 12:38 PM
Sun came out this am. Found a good use for the shovel. Phone down to 12%. The race is on!!

I use a tripod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMmwaA35usw

Infidel
03-02-2019, 05:33 PM
Buy a few big power banks and keep them charged. I have a couple of 22400mAH banks that i bought off Amazon, always charged. I take them with me when I take the Scouts to camp every summer, I run all week on one bank using an iphone 8. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FDK2G2C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 That's the ones I have, just bought a third one for my youngest kid so he doesn't have to use mine.

-Infidel

MountainGirl
03-02-2019, 08:15 PM
Buy a few big power banks and keep them charged. I have a couple of 22400mAH banks that i bought off Amazon, always charged. I take them with me when I take the Scouts to camp every summer, I run all week on one bank using an iphone 8. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FDK2G2C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 That's the ones I have, just bought a third one for my youngest kid so he doesn't have to use mine.

-Infidel

Thanks, Infidel! You plug in and charge them at home right? I wonder how long it would take on my little 21w solar charger. Hmmm...

OSFG
03-03-2019, 08:51 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=cUxx-4bUo4Q

Infidel
03-04-2019, 05:29 PM
Mine usually take over night to charge off my laptop (from zero charge) so it would be best to have them charged and ready to go before hand.

-Infidel

Back Pack Hack
03-16-2019, 11:49 AM
I did a bit of research on the subject keeping devices charged, and decided to up my game in that department. I scored a TalentCell 11000mAh power bank for $25 new, shipped. 1/3 the normal cost. I love paying less and saving money!

Now I'm on the hunt for a portable 100w folding solar panel. Did my research, chose one, and have put it's future purchase price into the budget.