PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Gardening Thread

TJC44
02-23-2019, 11:26 AM
Nobody's posted in this area since September. Time to bring it to life.

Ordered seeds and a couple black walnut trees from Burgess today. Decided to double the packets of seeds to have some on the shelf if needed next year.
I had planted a couple of blueberry bushes(?) last year, and I wanted to add 1-2 nut trees.
I will be planting tomatoes (of course) beans, potatoes (hopefully), lettuce, squash, and peas (for Inor). I will be working on expanding the size of the garden this year, some things spread out more than I was expecting. But not able to do much now with the ground still frozen and snow covered.

MountainGirl
02-23-2019, 11:46 AM
Thanks for starting this TJC!
Not sure what all we'll be planting this year. Was hoping to start some plants in the new little greenhouse soon but cant get to it without shoveling the 5' of snow off it first, lol. Definitely tomatoes, peppers & onions; I'm gonna build/start an asparagus bed & a permanent place for dill. Might try some vertical-grown potatoes & find a spot for a sisters thing (corn/beans/squash planted together). Challenge continues to be no sunny flat space, and some of the watering is hauled w/buckets.

Broncosfan
02-23-2019, 12:43 PM
Just moved the grow shelf from the garage to the basement today. Changing lights over to LED. Will start cabbage this weekend. Not starting tomato or pepper plants quite as early as most everyone around here doesn't plan to plant at least mid May or Memorial day weekend.

BucketBack
02-23-2019, 12:54 PM
Just started thinking about buying some seeds.

Rich1028
02-24-2019, 06:08 AM
Wife Bought seeds the other day.
some years we lose track of time and have to buy plants,and some years we do it from seeds.
last year
Tomatoes
Zucchini and Squash

Broncosfan
02-24-2019, 09:04 AM
Wife Bought seeds the other day.
some years we lose track of time and have to buy plants,and some years we do it from seeds.
last year
Tomatoes
Zucchini and Squash

Good looking plants. Last year mine wasn't worth taking a picture of. Praying for a better year this year.

Inor
02-24-2019, 12:00 PM
Mrs Inor's Romaine lettuce is looking pretty good. Since we do not poop in the garden, I am looking forward to being able to have a Caesar salad without fear of e-coli. Mrs Inor has a bunch of herbs started in the kitchen window. I am not even sure what is there.

The apple trees I planted last fall all seem to be doing well. The almond tree, also planted last fall, is going crazy. I am not so sure about the peach tree. Mrs Inor assures me it is still alive, but it just looks like a stick to me. The lemon tree is in full bloom but in three years, it has never even come close to producing a lemon. So I am not holding out much hope for it.

Probably next month we will start potatoes and corn.

Mrs Inor picked up some nice looking tomatoes from the nursery about 3 weeks ago. They are still inside but look like they are doing well.

I think I am also going to start some prickly pear that we can eat this year. We have a few prickly pear on our property but they are not the kind you can make jelly from. I know where some of the edible ones are. So I am thinking next month I will go and steal a few pads from them and start them out back. (I absolutely LOVE prickly pear jelly!)

Broncosfan
02-24-2019, 12:17 PM
Mrs Inor's Romaine lettuce is looking pretty good. Since we do not poop in the garden, I am looking forward to being able to have a Caesar salad without fear of e-coli. Mrs Inor has a bunch of herbs started in the kitchen window. I am not even sure what is there.

The apple trees I planted last fall all seem to be doing well. The almond tree, also planted last fall, is going crazy. I am not so sure about the peach tree. Mrs Inor assures me it is still alive, but it just looks like a stick to me. The lemon tree is in full bloom but in three years, it has never even come close to producing a lemon. So I am not holding out much hope for it.

Probably next month we will start potatoes and corn.

Mrs Inor picked up some nice looking tomatoes from the nursery about 3 weeks ago. They are still inside but look like they are doing well.

I think I am also going to start some prickly pear that we can eat this year. We have a few prickly pear on our property but they are not the kind you can make jelly from. I know where some of the edible ones are. So I am thinking next month I will go and steal a few pads from them and start them out back. (I absolutely LOVE prickly pear jelly!)

Inor Lemon trees can take anywhere from 3-5 years to bear fruit.

Slippy
02-24-2019, 12:46 PM
We've found that Citrus Fertilizers make a huge difference in our lemon tree's production. But even then, every other year is a low producing year. Finicky little bastards they are...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BGI-10-lb-Citrus-Fertilizer-FCITRUS10/203684274

BucketBack
02-24-2019, 04:30 PM
I can't grow Lemons or Oranges here

MountainGirl
02-26-2019, 11:57 AM
I can't grow Lemons or Oranges here

Neither can we. This will be year 3 for the apple trees, and year 2 for the cherry. Hopefully fruit this year. The berry bushes (blue, elder, cherry) are thriving - we got a small harvest on each last year. Watered the hell outta them though. Glad the wild huckleberries take care of themselves and provide. :)

TJC44
02-26-2019, 02:11 PM
Location, location, location.

. Watered the hell outta them though.

I'll have to remember that.
<<Mr. Black Thumb

Rich1028
02-26-2019, 05:27 PM
Broncosfan

Thanks!
Hoping that you have a better season this year as well!

Inor
02-27-2019, 03:44 PM
We've found that Citrus Fertilizers make a huge difference in our lemon tree's production. But even then, every other year is a low producing year. Finicky little bastards they are...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BGI-10-lb-Citrus-Fertilizer-FCITRUS10/203684274

I took your advice and got a package of the Jobe's Organic Citrus Tree Spikes. I put one in it this morning, but it still does not have any lemons. I think it is a retarded lemon tree. :biglaugh:

BucketBack
02-27-2019, 04:28 PM
Neither can we. This will be year 3 for the apple trees, and year 2 for the cherry. Hopefully fruit this year. The berry bushes (blue, elder, cherry) are thriving - we got a small harvest on each last year. Watered the hell outta them though. Glad the wild huckleberries take care of themselves and provide. :)

Apple trees don't grow here, 10 miles down the road, they sure do though

Slippy
02-27-2019, 05:23 PM

My land had a bunch of wild blackberries which gave us a great bounty until we built the house.

We realized then that the blackberries were in all the wrong places near my roads and trails and as I was bush hogging or riding the 4 Wheeler to maintain and enjoy my land, the thorns would cut the hell out of me.

1 month a year they produced sweet/tangy fruit and 11 months they cut the hell out of us? Rick Vs Reward was not there so...

...So I finally mowed most of them down, most but not all. Every year around June I sort of regret it! But we still harvest a bucket or two per year...

MountainGirl
02-27-2019, 10:30 PM
My land had a bunch of wild blackberries which gave us a great bounty until we built the house.

We realized then that the blackberries were in all the wrong places near my roads and trails and as I was bush hogging or riding the 4 Wheeler to maintain and enjoy my land, the thorns would cut the hell out of me.

1 month a year they produced sweet/tangy fruit and 11 months they cut the hell out of us? Rick Vs Reward was not there so...

...So I finally mowed most of them down, most but not all. Every year around June I sort of regret it! But we still harvest a bucket or two per year...

Yummmm blackberries! Had them all around as a kid back in the flats...not sure if there are any around here or not. Glad you kept some. :)

I'd love to expand our wild huckleberry patch - but for some reason, those critters dont like to be moved or messed with...nothing. They're totally determined to do it the wild way or not at all LOL. What I might try - is to clear/improve the area around them - to see if they'll spread on their own. They sell for $80/gallon up here but we eat all of ours; in the summer mornings for a couple months Tom will run down the hill & pick a pint for pancakes. :hungry:

TJC44
05-04-2019, 06:21 PM
Finally put seed in the dirt today. Tomorrow I'll try my hand at spuds. Just in planters until the plants come up, and I finish prepping the garden. I bought a black walnut seedling tree and put that in the ground. The blueberry plants didn't survive the winter. Looks like something got hungry on them.

Rich1028
05-05-2019, 07:06 AM
these are our tomatoes and beans grown in the house

planted them last week,must of been to early,or from all the rain that we had,but all are dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQxFFubTZoI

hawgrider
05-05-2019, 07:21 AM
these are our tomatoes and beans grown in the house

planted them last week,must of been to early,or from all the rain that we had,but all are dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQxFFubTZoI

In Meatchicken tomatoes only after memorial or you risk dead tomatoes. Tomatoes started indoors must be acclimated to the intense sun slowly over a few days. Soaking wet soil will rot the stems.

Slippy
05-05-2019, 11:07 AM

Rich1028
05-05-2019, 02:43 PM
hawgrider
thank you,just told the Wife!

hawgrider
05-05-2019, 04:05 PM
hawgrider
thank you,just told the Wife!

I learned the hard way Id always try to sneak in around mothersday and got burned a couple times by a late may frost lost every thing but garlic and oinions. Radish and lettuces can go in soon.

Broncosfan
05-05-2019, 06:45 PM
We had a very late frost in June here about 7-8 years ago. Everything was planted it was a real rush to cover right at 80 plants. We only lost one. If you want to try to sneak something in early I highly recommend a product called "Wall O Water" It is made of plastic and has cells that you fill with water. It not only protects from frost but it helps keep the plant warmer for added growth. 6878

TJC44
05-05-2019, 06:57 PM
I learned the hard way Id always try to sneak in around mothersday and got burned a couple times by a late may frost lost every thing but garlic and oinions. Radish and lettuces can go in soon.

Yeah, Around here, Memorial Day is planting time. You can start seed earlier in seed starters or greenhouses.

Looking Good, Slippy!
Advantages to living down south.

Inor
05-05-2019, 07:57 PM
Our gardens this year are just in the grow bags. (I have not yet had the time to build the real gardens yet. - Next year hopefully.)

'Maters and miscellaneous, I don't know what...

Hot peppers

More 'maters (We eat a lot of 'maters.)

'Taters - Note to self: we need to plant more taters next year.

Spinach

Inor
05-05-2019, 08:04 PM
Last fall, Thanksgiving week, I planted a peach tree, an almond tree and three apple trees. I did not expect anything from them for at least 3-4 years, as they are all only about 4 feet tall. All of them are just absolutely loaded with fruit!

At one point the almond tree had over 20 almonds started on it! Then we had a bad wind storm and lost all of them but about 4. Even so, I am thinking it might give us a few more later in the spring.

This fall, Mrs Inor wants to plant one or two pear trees and one or two apricot trees.

Broncosfan
05-09-2019, 10:30 AM
Got the first raised bed built and filled. Just need to add a couple of soil additives to mix in and then ready to plant. 7003

hawgrider
05-09-2019, 10:34 AM
Looks great Bronco !

Inor
05-09-2019, 10:39 AM
Got the first raised bed built and filled. Just need to add a couple of soil additives to mix in and then ready to plant. 7003

VERY Nice!!!

Slippy
05-09-2019, 02:49 PM

Awesome Bronc!

Broncosfan
05-21-2019, 07:52 PM
Little slower than expected but were about half planted now. Plants have taken a beating from the wind were have the last couple of days. The raised beds seem to we doing well. At 8" deep there 80 degrees. Granted I also have black fabric on top to reduce weeding and to help warm the soil. So its going well. If the weather hold we should be done hopefully by Saturday. Still lots of compost to move though.

Broncosfan
05-26-2019, 06:17 PM
Got up early to beat the heat. Loaded the tractor bucket with dirt and then things turned worse. As I moved the tractor I could feel a popping kind of a catch seemed to be from the middle toward the front end. Limped into the garage. Got under it and could find nothing. I believe I have a front axle problem maybe its just a u joint catching but its hard to do a diagnosis when on the tractor. Looks like its going to John Deere oh God thats going to be expensive. Looks lie tomatoes with cost me $10 a piece this year! lol

Inor
05-26-2019, 06:49 PM
Got up early to beat the heat. Loaded the tractor bucket with dirt and then things turned worse. As I moved the tractor I could feel a popping kind of a catch seemed to be from the middle toward the front end. Limped into the garage. Got under it and could find nothing. I believe I have a front axle problem maybe its just a u joint catching but its hard to do a diagnosis when on the tractor. Looks like its going to John Deere oh God thats going to be expensive. Looks lie tomatoes with cost me $10 a piece this year! lol

Sorry to hear about the tractor Bronc.

I have been studying up on tractors because I need to buy one in the next year or so. Many folks have told me to stay away from Deere because they are expensive to fix and prone to breakdowns. Is that your experience too?

Broncosfan
05-26-2019, 07:04 PM

I have been studying up on tractors because I need to buy one in the next year or so. Many folks have told me to stay away from Deere because they are expensive to fix and prone to breakdowns. Is that your experience too?

Absolutely not! I wouldn't buy anything else! The only thing I have done is regular oil & grease and 2 batteries in 13 years. Over 800 hours and it has done more than most sub compacts could ever think of doing. I figure it has something to do with all the compost I have been moving lately. Around 30 ton of horse manure compost. Only thing is I if you need a mower deck get the drive on one. My didn't have the option at the time. I think it was only available the next size up. If I knew I was moving where I did after the purchase I would have bought the next size bigger.

Inor
05-26-2019, 07:27 PM
Absolutely not! I wouldn't buy anything else! The only thing I have done is regular oil & grease and 2 batteries in 13 years. Over 800 hours and it has done more than most sub compacts could ever think of doing. I figure it has something to do with all the compost I have been moving lately. Around 30 ton of horse manure compost. Only thing is I if you need a mower deck get the drive on one. My didn't have the option at the time. I think it was only available the next size up. If I knew I was moving where I did after the purchase I would have bought the next size bigger.

Thanks for the info! I may have some more questions as the time to purchase gets closer.

Sarge7402
05-27-2019, 02:25 PM
Planted cabbage, lettuce, chives onions and turnips as soon as the ground didn't freeze. Already harvested several pounds of greens and turned it into Kimchi. Onions and chves just don't know when to stop growing. squash and cukes are coming up but we don't expect much from them

Innkeeper
05-27-2019, 05:29 PM
Planted cabbage, lettuce, chives onions and turnips as soon as the ground didn't freeze. Already harvested several pounds of greens and turned it into Kimchi. Onions and chves just don't know when to stop growing. squash and cukes are coming up but we don't expect much from them

Spicy kimchi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparkyprep
05-27-2019, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the info! I may have some more questions as the time to purchase gets closer.

My old tractor is a very old Ford. I am thinking of upgrading, due to it's increasing maintenance cost. (I have to fix something every time I want to use it.) I am looking at Kubotas. They have a very good reputation around here.

Broncosfan
05-27-2019, 07:31 PM
My old tractor is a very old Ford. I am thinking of upgrading, due to it's increasing maintenance cost. (I have to fix something every time I want to use it.) I am looking at Kubotas. They have a very good reputation around here.

We took a look at several different brands before deciding on the Deere. We didn't just look at the tractor we looked at the dealership size, location and the people at the dealership. To this day 13 years later I still ask them questions and we now live 500 miles from the dealership!

BucketBack
05-28-2019, 03:40 AM
JD has a great support system, so does Deere

Sarge7402
05-28-2019, 04:17 PM
Spicy kimchi?

Yeah the 4 alarm kind. Goes good in bibimpap and kimchi chige or kimchi bukum

Innkeeper
05-28-2019, 06:58 PM
Yeah the 4 alarm kind. Goes good in bibimpap and kimchi chige or kimchi bukum

That is what I miss being up here no real kimchi. When I lived outside Detoilet we had an honest to god Korean grocery store a couple miles from where I lived I loved going there for all the goodies.

Broncosfan
05-28-2019, 07:20 PM
Finally a little late this year but always worth the wait. 7305

Innkeeper
05-28-2019, 09:01 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190529/515664aff83d46088f437b1cc4e56ecf.jpg
My little Meteor Cherry tree is just covered in blossoms this year if I can keep the deer from eating them all I may get to enjoy a few.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190529/d8c1b7a6838bfce9950cf3881acf2ca8.jpg

That is one of my small apple trees with my dog I want to add another one around where she is standing.

Broncosfan
05-29-2019, 05:25 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190529/515664aff83d46088f437b1cc4e56ecf.jpg
My little Meteor Cherry tree is just covered in blossoms this year if I can keep the deer from eating them all I may get to enjoy a few.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190529/d8c1b7a6838bfce9950cf3881acf2ca8.jpg

That is one of my small apple trees with my dog I want to add another one around where she is standing.

I haven't had problems with deer eating the cherries from the tree but the birds get their fill if I don't put netting around it. Same with the grapes.Lost last years crop as I forgot to net the grape vines in time

Innkeeper
05-29-2019, 07:43 AM
I haven't had problems with deer eating the cherries from the tree but the birds get their fill if I don't put netting around it. Same with the grapes.Lost last years crop as I forgot to net the grape vines in time

What kind of netting do you use for the birds? I am sure I lose some to them, but having two big bird dogs running around the yard helps keep them in check a lot during the days but deer move through at night and early morning to bed down

Broncosfan
05-29-2019, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=Innkeeper;156483]What kind of netting do you use for the birds? I am sure I lose some to them, but having two big bird dogs running around the yard helps keep them in check a lot during the days but deer move through at night and early morning to bed down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/

Its just called bird netting I usually get it at Menards but most home improvement/garden centers have it. Amazon has more different sizes. 7307

Broncosfan
05-29-2019, 01:16 PM

Well the price is in $575.00 plus tax. Considering its at a JD Dealer it sure could have been a whole lot worse. I stripped some gears.

BucketBack
05-29-2019, 06:04 PM
Transplanted some green onion and brusssel sprouts last night.

The Roma and Cal Wonders are doing well from the Solemn Day

hawgrider
05-29-2019, 06:12 PM
Mostly herbs. 4 Cherokee tomatoes, 1 cherry tomato, couple cukes and a few experimental bucket potatoes

BucketBack
05-29-2019, 06:41 PM
I want MY" Bucket-Back", where I left it

Broncosfan
05-29-2019, 07:01 PM
Transplanted some green onion and brusssel sprouts last night.

The Roma and Cal Wonders are doing well from the Solemn Day

Never tried to grow brussel sprouts. I like them just never got around to growing them

hawgrider
05-29-2019, 07:32 PM
I want MY" Bucket-Back", where I left it

I have a lot of buckets back here.

hawgrider
05-29-2019, 07:34 PM
Never tried to grow brussel sprouts. I like them just never got around to growing them

I hate brussel sprouts.

BucketBack
05-30-2019, 03:54 AM
Slice brussel spouts in half, drizzle in olive oil and garlic, pepper. Roast until brown.

Popeye says , thinking of Olive Oil requires a cold shower, mine will have hot water in a few minnows.

BucketBack
05-30-2019, 04:34 AM
Dayum, shower felt well this am, running late, have to bee @ work at 06:00. Good thing it's 3.6 miles away.

Broncosfan
05-30-2019, 06:01 AM
I hate brussel sprouts.

I'm not a straight up like them guy. I like my wife's recipe. It involves cutting the sprouts in quarters cooking them with onions and some spices and add ins. Boiling them I'm a straight no. I seen a recipe that roasted them and it looked good.

hawgrider
05-30-2019, 06:26 AM
I'm not a straight up like them guy. I like my wife's recipe. It involves cutting the sprouts in quarters cooking them with onions and some spices and add ins. Boiling them I'm a straight no. I seen a recipe that roasted them and it looked good.

Bitter to me.

Sparkyprep
05-30-2019, 11:31 AM
I like brussel sprouts steamed with a little butter

Gambit
05-30-2019, 02:39 PM
roast them with a good cold press olive oil with pumpkin seeds and cranberries

hawgrider
05-30-2019, 02:53 PM

Pretty fancy for a Pug!

Gambit
05-30-2019, 05:41 PM
Pretty fancy for a Pug!

I identify myself as a fancy pug who also suffers from delusions of grandeur?

its a odd combo but trust me. those seeds and cranberries pulls it all together very well

Broncosfan
05-30-2019, 05:55 PM
Well I think adding the compost paid off. This is the biggest perfect strawberry picked from this patch so far. 7308

Broncosfan
05-30-2019, 06:01 PM

I'm going to try that this recipe this fall. Thanks for posting. I bet that would be good for Thanksgiving dinner!

Slippy
05-30-2019, 08:42 PM
Well I think adding the compost paid off. This is the biggest perfect strawberry picked from this patch so far. 7308

OK Bronc, that is one awesome looking strawberry!

Everybody should go to the Ponchatoula, LA Strawberry Festival at least once! (we've been and I'm pleased to say, we had a pretty good time!)

https://www.lastrawberryfestival.com/

Inor
05-30-2019, 10:41 PM
Well the price is in $575.00 plus tax. Considering its at a JD Dealer it sure could have been a whole lot worse. I stripped some gears.

A $600 surprise is never easy to take. But like you said, it could have been worse.

shootbrownelk
05-31-2019, 08:29 AM

I grew a long row of Brussels Sprouts about 10 years ago when I had a raised bed garden. I waited until after a hard frost to harvest them. The were delicious. 100X better than store bought frozen. I blanched and froze a lot of them. Best Sprouts ever. I wish I had the room for a garden now. They are however, a hell of a lot of work to harvest & process.

Broncosfan
05-31-2019, 08:55 AM
I grew a long row of Brussels Sprouts about 10 years ago when I had a raised bed garden. I waited until after a hard frost to harvest them. The were delicious. 100X better than store bought frozen. I blanched and froze a lot of them. Best Sprouts ever. I wish I had the room for a garden now. They are however, a hell of a lot of work to harvest & process.

I was told that they are a lot better once they get it by a frost. I might try to grown some next year.

shootbrownelk
05-31-2019, 09:00 AM
I was told that they are a lot better once they get it by a frost. I might try to grown some next year.

They were easy to grow too, I fertilized them well and did a deep mulch down the row of plants with all the neighbor's grass clippings.

hawgrider
06-01-2019, 12:44 PM
Pulled some weeds, put some mulch down and fed everything with with some organic blood meal.

Potatoes are coming up, dill is up, cherry tomatoes are flowering.

Broncosfan
06-02-2019, 09:57 AM
Things are progressing slowly here as far as finishing the garden. Having the tractor it the shop is a killer. We moved compost by using 5 gallon buckets and the utv. Slow and a lot of back breaking work. Still have one raised bed to fill so no idea of how long it will take. Whats already planted is doing really well. Strawberries are unbelievable picking over 7 lbs last night. Make 19 1/2 pints of jam yesterday. Wife said its the best we batch ever. Lot more work to do. Hopefully get tractor back by midweek would help get us finished up. two days of dry weather ahead so thats a plus.

Inor
06-02-2019, 01:57 PM
We got our first cherry tomatoes last week. The taters are doing well as are the peppers. The fruit and nut trees, less so. It has been so windy for the last 6 weeks, I have lost all but one of my almonds on the almond tree. The apples seem to be holding their own. But I think the new peach tree may be close to dead. I think when the Art Shack is done, I am going to put in some more fruit trees, maybe an apricot and a couple pears plus another almond. I am also starting to plan out how I can put in automatic watering system. (Those are pretty popular here and I think I can do it fairly inexpensively.)

Slippy
06-02-2019, 02:20 PM
We got our first cherry tomatoes last week. The taters are doing well as are the peppers. The fruit and nut trees, less so. It has been so windy for the last 6 weeks, I have lost all but one of my almonds on the almond tree. The apples seem to be holding their own. But I think the new peach tree may be close to dead. I think when the Art Shack is done, I am going to put in some more fruit trees, maybe an apricot and a couple pears plus another almond. I am also starting to plan out how I can put in automatic watering system. (Those are pretty popular here and I think I can do it fairly inexpensively.)

Good luck with the Auto Water System Inor

We had water systems back when we were subdivision dwellers but for some damn reason I chose not to put one in at Slippy Lodge. Minor pain in the ass watering some of our raised beds as well as our very small lawn but we get by. My Rainwater Collection System works well in the Backyard Raised Beds. One day perhaps for the Frontyard Raised Beds...

More things on the LOTTDASL! (List Of Things To Do At Slippy Lodge!)

Broncosfan
06-02-2019, 02:33 PM
I will be installing some drip irrigation for my raised beds. Never done it so it will be trial and error. I will hook it up to my water collection system. Right now were watering by hand until I can get the project done. Mother nature as helped us out a lot lately After the retro fit this year its seems to be doing well. I have about 500 gallons capacity right now. Would like to add at least 275 more. Moved another 88 buckets of compost today to fill the last raised bed. Things are looking up.

Inor
06-02-2019, 03:18 PM
Good luck with the Auto Water System Inor

We had water systems back when we were subdivision dwellers but for some damn reason I chose not to put one in at Slippy Lodge. Minor pain in the ass watering some of our raised beds as well as our very small lawn but we get by. My Rainwater Collection System works well in the Backyard Raised Beds. One day perhaps for the Frontyard Raised Beds...

More things on the LOTTDASL! (List Of Things To Do At Slippy Lodge!)

Your tax dollars at work...

The federal government gave our county a grant of something like $8 million dollars to promote the creation of mom and pop wine vineyards. (Why they think a bunch of wine snobs would want to come here and hang out with a bunch of toothless hicks is beyond me. But...) The way the county decided to use the money was to subsidize the cost of installing irrigation systems. So there is a little hardware store about 35 miles from here where anybody can buy the parts for a vineyard irrigation system for about 30% of the retail value. So I figure if I drop $100 or $200 on vineyard irrigation parts and it works for the gardens and trees, great! If it doesn't work, I'm not out much.

Broncosfan
06-06-2019, 09:11 PM
Finally get the tractor back tomorrow afternoon. Bad thing is I'm paying almost as much having in hauled to and from repairs that I got from selling my trailer. Never thought I would need to haul the tractor again. Still busy picking strawberries. We should top 50 lbs in a day or so. Planning to start several more rows of corn but another 1 1/2" of rain is slowing us down. Garden looks great, Now that we're getting the tractor we should be in good shape by the first of the week as long as we don't get any rain.

Broncosfan
06-10-2019, 06:46 AM
Strawberries are slowing down and getting smaller but still got 3 lbs yesterday. Today is picking day #10. Just got these in the freezer this morning.7401

hawgrider
06-10-2019, 07:17 AM
Strawberries are slowing down and getting smaller but still got 3 lbs yesterday. Today is picking day #10. Just got these in the freezer this morning.7401

Good eating and lots of back breaking work!

Deebo
06-10-2019, 08:00 AM
Beautiful..
Purchased and planted a peach and a plum tree.
The wife went all out and got about twenty more plants, tomato, squash, peppers, chile, and three blueberry.
Oh and two citronella plants. The mosquito's are pretty tough at dusk here lately.

Broncosfan
06-10-2019, 10:01 AM
Good eating and lots of back breaking work!

Yes I made a trip to the chiropractor this morning. Taking it easy today for awhile!

Broncosfan
06-10-2019, 10:22 AM
Beautiful..
The wife went all out and got about twenty more plants, tomato, squash, peppers, chile, and three blueberry.
Oh and two citronella plants. The mosquito's are pretty tough at dusk here lately.

Too bad Deebo we don't live closer. I didn't sell a lot of plants this year only sold about half what I sold last year so I have a lot of extras and there going to waste. They will be chicken feed by the end of the week. Don't have the time to take care of them any longer.

Slippy
06-10-2019, 12:01 PM
Beautiful..

Deebs,

Be aware that 2 types of "citronella plants" exist. One smells really good...very similar to the smell of a citronella candle but does not really contain the chemical that mosquitos hate...and real mosquito repellent citronella which is in the same family of lemongrass...this one works.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/scented-geranium/mosquito-citronella-geranium-plant.htm

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/lemongrass/learn-about-growing-lemon-grass-plant.htm

We keep both around...
Below is the fake Citronella Plant that smells awesome but doesn't do the job in keeping mosquitos away;

And here is the real deal, Lemongrass which repels mosquitos like a champ! We keep it by the front porch so I can sip my whisky in peace!
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/lemongrass/lemongrass-companion-plants.htm

Slippy
06-10-2019, 12:14 PM
Ok
I walk out to pick some cucumbers, peppers and squatch from the garden and I catch these little bastards sneaking up on my delicious veggies hoping to snag a free meal and my expense.

I unleash the hounds and the free-loaders scatter like caught theives...

Or so I thought, only to go outside a few minutes later and catch two of the little thugs still hiding in the woods a few feet from where I chased them away earlier...

hawgrider
06-10-2019, 12:16 PM
Ok
I walk out to pick some cucumbers, peppers and squatch from the garden and I catch these little bastards sneaking up on my delicious veggies hoping to snag a free meal and my expense.

Or so I thought, only to go outside a few minutes later and catch two of the little thugs still hiding in the woods a few feet from where I chased them away earlier...

Time to fill your freezer there Slipster!

StratBastard
06-11-2019, 01:15 AM
Ok

You do seem to have a yummy garden! I may get myself a set of antlers and give it a try myself...

Deebo
06-11-2019, 09:06 AM
Deebs,

Be aware that 2 types of "citronella plants" exist. One smells really good...very similar to the smell of a citronella candle but does not really contain the chemical that mosquitos hate...and real mosquito repellent citronella which is in the same family of lemongrass...this one works.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/scented-geranium/mosquito-citronella-geranium-plant.htm

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/lemongrass/learn-about-growing-lemon-grass-plant.htm

We keep both around...
Below is the fake Citronella Plant that smells awesome but doesn't do the job in keeping mosquitos away;

And here is the real deal, Lemongrass which repels mosquitos like a champ! We keep it by the front porch so I can sip my whisky in peace!
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/lemongrass/lemongrass-companion-plants.htm

WELL I WAS DUPED. I purchased the top pic, and yes, it smells just like a candle.
I wont tell the wife.
I would put them deer on slippy pikes....

Broncosfan
06-13-2019, 10:21 AM
Well with the last of the main garden planted we will need lots of water. Got the first flush system done. Its not pretty but its doing the job. Over 450 gallon capacity. One inch of rain is almost perfect to fill the tanks. This is only collecting from 1/4 of my roof. Because I moved the tanks I spent a little more that I wanted to but its better where its at now. I still plan to change the first flush holding pipes some but I made do with what fitting I had on hand at the time.74537454

Inor
06-13-2019, 10:31 AM
Well with the last of the main garden planted we will need lots of water. Got the first flush system done. Its not pretty but its doing the job. Over 450 gallon capacity. One inch of rain is almost perfect to fill the tanks. This is only collecting from 1/4 of my roof. Because I moved the tanks I spent a little more that I wanted to but its better where its at now. I still plan to change the first flush holding pipes some but I made do with what fitting I had on hand at the time.74537454

THAT ^^^ is freakin' awesome!!! NICE JOB!!!

Broncosfan
06-13-2019, 10:34 AM
THAT ^^^ is freakin' awesome!!! NICE JOB!!!

Inor

Thanks it was a lot of trial and error but I think I got it the way I want and in my budget. Plan to add another tank sometime.

Broncosfan
06-30-2019, 02:25 PM
Onion are now done for the year. Not a super crop. All are good size usable onions and there are several that will make some nice homemade onion rings. Not a great picture but it gives you an idea. Well over 100 lbs for sure. 7683

hawgrider
06-30-2019, 03:28 PM
Nice haul!

Inor
06-30-2019, 10:16 PM
Onion are now done for the year. Not a super crop. All are good size usable onions and there are several that will make some nice homemade onion rings. Not a great picture but it gives you an idea. Well over 100 lbs for sure. 7683

Nicely done!

I just pulled the first garlics last week. They were not great, but they will do. We have several others left to come in. Disappointing? Not yet, but...

StratBastard
06-30-2019, 10:18 PM
Nicely done!

I just pulled the first garlics last week. They were not great, but they will do. We have several others left to come in. Disappointing? Not yet, but...

Strat he eats a LOT of fresh garlic!

Broncosfan
07-01-2019, 05:50 AM
Nicely done!

The first year we grew garlic I was disappointed. Since then it has gotten a lot better. Cutting the scapes is important to help get the bulb bigger. This year we didn't have a garlic crop becasue of my leg issue last year. All of our seed garlic was dried and made into smoked garlic spice. I believe a lot of factors play into it but finding the right variety is a must. Also I think after the first year if you save enough to replant I think that helps the next crop as the seed gets acclimated to your growing conditions.

hawgrider
07-01-2019, 06:23 AM
The first year we grew garlic I was disappointed. Since then it has gotten a lot better. Cutting the scapes is important to help get the bulb bigger. This year we didn't have a garlic crop becasue of my leg issue last year. All of our seed garlic was dried and made into smoked garlic spice. I believe a lot of factors play into it but finding the right variety is a must. Also I think after the first year if you save enough to replant I think that helps the next crop as the seed gets acclimated to your growing conditions.

My garlic pretty much seems to come up on its own. We replant every fall with seed not cloves for the most part and The garlic comes up even where I didn't plant it.

Broncosfan
07-06-2019, 07:30 PM
I don't know how everyone else garden is doing but ours is going ok. Excessive rain is a major problem Already seeing a lot of tomato fungal problems and its even in the new raise beds so I'm sure its due to the rain. Still have weeds under control its not a picture perfect garden by no ways but its producing. We getting enough cucumbers to start making pickles this week. Picked some 2 days ago and ended up in ankle deep mud. Tomatoes are ripening and should pick this week. Peppers are everywhere just like we wanted. Bells, bananas. jalapeno,Fresno are all ready picking size. Watermelon are bigger than softballs. So all in all I'm pleased. I will spray another round of fungicide this week. Its raining again now and we're at 3.25 inches over the past week.
Don't think I will get the drip irrigation system in this year. I just haven't the time becasue of the weather and just don't need it if this rain continues. I might change my thinking if it dries out and we have a super hot August.

Slippy
07-06-2019, 08:46 PM
Squash finally stopped producing but Zucchini is still coming in large. Our Peppers have been coming in insane numbers; LunchBox Peppers, Jalapeno and Habenero are looking good and HOT! We are on our second harvest of radishes and to be honest we are sick of eating them! HA!

Carrots are still a couple of weeks away as is the Sweet Potatoes. Correction, Mrs S says next week on the Sweet Potatoes!

Tomatoes are good and we evenly spaced them out so that different types will come in at different times. Have already made 10 jars of Salsa and 5 jars of Marinara Sauce to put up. Tomatoes should go on for at least another month or so. We are eating and giving away tomatoes daily!

Cucumbers have been producing for a while now and we've pickled about 30 jars so far and eat them daily. These damn things just keep coming up day after day after day. I think we need to give more cucumbers away!

Okra is just now starting to come to harvest.

On a side note, I experiment every year with a Jalapeno Plant, a Tomato Plant and Basil. I hit them HARD with various fertilizer to get a really HOT Jalapeno and a Tasty Tomato. I also try for a unique Basil taste. Well, my experimental Jalapeno is freakin HOT HOT HOT. Used heavy nitrogen and Magnesium Sulphate and to be honest, they are to me UN-EATABLE they are so hot!

Fun times at Slippy Lodge!

Gambit
07-06-2019, 09:00 PM
Squash finally stopped producing but Zucchini is still coming in large. Our Peppers have been coming in insane numbers; LunchBox Peppers, Jalapeno and Habenero are looking good and HOT! We are on our second harvest of radishes and to be honest we are sick of eating them! HA!

Carrots are still a couple of weeks away as is the Sweet Potatoes. Correction, Mrs S says next week on the Sweet Potatoes!

Tomatoes are good and we evenly spaced them out so that different types will come in at different times. Have already made 10 jars of Salsa and 5 jars of Marinara Sauce to put up. Tomatoes should go on for at least another month or so. We are eating and giving away tomatoes daily!

Cucumbers have been producing for a while now and we've pickled about 30 jars so far and eat them daily. These damn things just keep coming up day after day after day. I think we need to give more cucumbers away!

Okra is just now starting to come to harvest.

On a side note, I experiment every year with a Jalapeno Plant, a Tomato Plant and Basil. I hit them HARD with various fertilizer to get a really HOT Jalapeno and a Tasty Tomato. I also try for a unique Basil taste. Well, my experimental Jalapeno is freakin HOT HOT HOT. Used heavy nitrogen and Magnesium Sulphate and to be honest, they are to me UN-EATABLE they are so hot!

Fun times at Slippy Lodge!

make sure to remove the white membrane that's the hottest part also put them in 1% or fat free milk for 5 or so minutes and that will lower the heat as well

StratBastard
07-06-2019, 09:00 PM
My garlic pretty much seems to come up on its own. We replant every fall with seed not cloves for the most part and The garlic comes up even where I didn't plant it.

LOVES me some garlic! And yeah, even if you are away or forget to tend to them, they seem to always make out on their own. Ditto mint.

Inor
07-06-2019, 10:57 PM
The rest of our garlic and onions are growing strong. The taters... I am not sure what they are going to do this year; they look a bit weak but continue to grow. The hot peppers are going nuts. I foresee chilirestas for Christmas this year. The sweet peppers are okay. I am not sure what is going on with our 'maters. The 6 or so that we have gotten from them so far have been awesome. But damn, the 'maters are disappointing so far! (Maybe too much sun - or too much neglect?)

Broncosfan
07-07-2019, 12:34 PM
The rest of our garlic and onions are growing strong. The taters... I am not sure what they are going to do this year; they look a bit weak but continue to grow. The hot peppers are going nuts. I foresee chilirestas for Christmas this year. The sweet peppers are okay. I am not sure what is going on with our 'maters. The 6 or so that we have gotten from them so far have been awesome. But damn, the 'maters are disappointing so far! (Maybe too much sun - or too much neglect?)

I need to try potatoes again. I tried them one year and the potato bugs were so bad that I refused to try growing again. Now I know more what to use to control them so maybe next year I will give them a shot.

Gambit
07-11-2019, 05:16 AM
I have questions
I had a lot of big black bugs just having a full blown orgies on my corn
they about penny in size
they eaten all the silk but barely touches the leaves
if my silk don't grow back how do I tell if my corn is ready for harvest and will the lack of silk ruin the corn?

also it feels I have 2 kinds of zucchini from 1 packet
2 of the plants the leaves and the zucchini are dark hunter green compare to the others and it looks like you see a dusting of silver'ish color on the leaves where the steam meets the leaves
the fruit it gives me is filled with seeds even when they are under a 10 or inches and are very dark green as well
was told the flowers on the steams that are long are the males and wont produce any fruit but I have a steam that's about a foot long and sure enough I have a 4 inch zucchini growing from same very dark plants
the seeds came from Walmart for 99 cents

the others are just fine and do have a sweet taste to them but I think its because I have good soil where nothing was grown there before but grass

Slippy
07-11-2019, 07:12 AM
I have questions
I had a lot of big black bugs just having a full blown orgies on my corn
they about penny in size
they eaten all the silk but barely touches the leaves
if my silk don't grow back how do I tell if my corn is ready for harvest and will the lack of silk ruin the corn?

also it feels I have 2 kinds of zucchini from 1 packet
2 of the plants the leaves and the zucchini are dark hunter green compare to the others and it looks like you see a dusting of silver'ish color on the leaves where the steam meets the leaves
the fruit it gives me is filled with seeds even when they are under a 10 or inches and are very dark green as well
was told the flowers on the steams that are long are the males and wont produce any fruit but I have a steam that's about a foot long and sure enough I have a 4 inch zucchini growing from same very dark plants
the seeds came from Walmart for 99 cents

the others are just fine and do have a sweet taste to them but I think its because I have good soil where nothing was grown there before but grass

Gambit

If you can post a pic of the bugs and zucchini that would help.

thx!

Gambit
07-11-2019, 10:23 AM
Gambit

If you can post a pic of the bugs and zucchini that would help.

thx!

ill do it soon they respawn on me. I been drying them to make zucchini crumbs for meatballs
so should have some pic's by Saturday the latest

Gambit
07-11-2019, 12:40 PM
best I was able to do, it was starting to sprinkle
https://i.imgur.com/LbelVXF.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/JI9KMLn.jpg

these are the zucchini
the plants on the left are the ones that has a silver'ish coloring but my phone takes shitty pic's from outside so I did the best I could
https://i.imgur.com/RqfSeva.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yi7fQxg.jpg
also I know about the weeds
damn plants take over everything, my poor carrots got fully covered

Broncosfan
07-11-2019, 12:54 PM
best I was able to do, it was starting to sprinkle
https://i.imgur.com/LbelVXF.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/JI9KMLn.jpg

these are the zucchini
the plants on the left are the ones that has a silver'ish coloring but my phone takes shitty pic's from outside so I did the best I could
https://i.imgur.com/RqfSeva.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yi7fQxg.jpg
also I know about the weeds
damn plants take over everything, my poor carrots got fully covered

Those are Japanese beetles or also know as "June Bugs" I have had real good luck with Neem oil spray here in Ohio. We also hand pick them but since i sprayed with Neem oil I have seen them reduced a lot. I believe you can also use Spinosad or permethrin any of them you can get from Amazon in a day or two. Those beetle will eat anything I believe.

Slippy
07-11-2019, 01:51 PM
best I was able to do, it was starting to sprinkle...

Yep Japanese Beetles.

Get you some traps and place them about 30 feet from the garden in at least 2 directions.

As far as the zucchini, I wouldn't worry too much about the leaves color. Matter of fact, all the leaves do is take away the nutrients from the vegetables. Remember your goal is grow veggies, not leaves! When you harvest the fruit, you'll be able to tell what they are.

Slippy
07-11-2019, 02:05 PM
Today's Harvest!

Including the 11 inch Zucchini. We only planted 1 Zucchini plant but no telling how many we have gotten from that one plant, easily up to 25 or 30 by now.

Once you spot a baby Zucchini of at least 3 or 4 inches, watch it carefully and try to harvest it before it exceeds a foot in length. Our one Zucchini plant below, I try and cut some leaves but still keep the plant looking somewhat healthy. The leaves take away from nutrients to the veggie but help in catching rainwater;

Gambit
07-13-2019, 08:12 PM
was able to pick once of those really dark zucchinis I was talked about.
I forgot to get a pick on how dark they can get but here is the inside of one.
this one was about 10 and half inches
it was also very hard and felt more like I was cutting wood with a very sharp butcher knife
it taste more fiber'ish compare to the others and has a slight bitter taste where the others have a sweet taste, even a few that got past the 14 inshes on me was still sweeter compare to these dark ones.

these still normal?
https://i.imgur.com/PkhSalH.jpg

Slippy
07-13-2019, 08:28 PM
was able to pick once of those really dark zucchinis I was talked about.
I forgot to get a pick on how dark they can get but here is the inside of one.
it was also very hard and felt more like I was cutting wood with a very sharp butcher knife
it taste more fiber'ish compare to the others and has a slight bitter taste where the others have a sweet taste, even a few that got past the 14 inshes on me was still sweeter compare to these dark ones.

these still normal?
https://i.imgur.com/PkhSalH.jpg

Gambit,

Ordinarily I'd say that this zuchinni is over ripe but the size does not indicate that. Try harvesting the next zuchinni when it is closer to 6-8 inches and see what it looks and tastes like.

Sometimes, the plant is just not good and it will yield a bitter veggie. I'd toss it out if it tastes bitter at all, otherwise you may risk some gastro-intestinal discomfort...and nobody wants to be shitting and farting all night! :soapbox:

TJC44
07-13-2019, 08:36 PM
it was also very hard and felt more like I was cutting wood with a very sharp butcher knife.

That's what she said.

StratBastard
07-13-2019, 11:12 PM
Gambit,

Ordinarily I'd say that this zuchinni is over ripe but the size does not indicate that. Try harvesting the next zuchinni when it is closer to 6-8 inches and see what it looks and tastes like.

Sometimes, the plant is just not good and it will yield a bitter veggie. I'd toss it out if it tastes bitter at all, otherwise you may risk some gastro-intestinal discomfort...and nobody wants to be shitting and farting all night! :soapbox:

I'll toss in my idiot 2 cents... IF they get really over ripe, they can become a bit wooden... and still be this size if under watered. ??? I eats a LOTTA Zukes!

Broncosfan
07-15-2019, 06:48 PM
Picked our first 2 full sized tomatoes today. Both were heirloom. Cherokee Purple and German Pink. Both we delicious. I think the Cherokee was sweeter than most average tomatoes. But I was surprised that 2 heirlooms varieties ripened before a hybrid did, but their not far behind. We just need rain now but not the 1-2" we got over a week ago. Hand watering now to keep them going.

Broncosfan
07-17-2019, 11:34 AM
So over the weekend I was checking on the melons. Since we had so much rain under the vines was staying very moist. I found a watermelon that had started to rot. Cut into and threw it in to the chickens. I really don't want to lose more so I had to figure some thing out. So have some old bent tomato cages I cut them at each ring. These are the cheap cages. Then I zip tied a piece of plastic hardware cloth onto it. I ended up with a melon cradle. So I had my wife pick up a few more cages as it seems I have lots of watermelon and cantaloupe. I got them finished this morning and when to work finding all the hidden melons. I counted close to 20 sizable watermelons and over 20 cantaloupes. Some are on the black plastic sheeting and allows water to drain Now if I can just get them picked before there over ripe we will be in business.

Broncosfan
07-21-2019, 01:28 PM
So I found this in the garden this morning during the morning walk through 7929 I have found out it called Corn Smut. I haven't researched it much yet. I did read that its caused from spores from the previous years spores and nitrogen rich soil. Anyone ever deal with it?

hawgrider
07-21-2019, 01:44 PM
Wow.. looks alien!

Innkeeper
07-22-2019, 09:25 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190722/44d80ac9ffdfc722259251cd2aec5658.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190722/1c3c2a0ff732ab0de4a48e03cafc7170.jpg

Well the cherries are finally ripening on my little tree, tried one this morning while watering my trees with the dogs. It had a nice tart taste to it I won’t get more than about 30 or so this year but I am hoping as it gets bigger the next few years to get plenty for all kinds of treats.

Rich1028
08-12-2019, 07:09 PM
as of Today

https://youtu.be/A_5YMg6M9ks

Inor
08-12-2019, 10:49 PM
as of Today

"s'cuse me folks I gotta go get a beer." Hilarious! Nicely done Rich!

Slippy
08-13-2019, 06:42 AM
as of Today

Excellent!

hawgrider
08-17-2019, 07:43 AM
Picked our first 2 full sized tomatoes today. Both were heirloom. Cherokee Purple and German Pink. Both we delicious. I think the Cherokee was sweeter than most average tomatoes. But I was surprised that 2 heirlooms varieties ripened before a hybrid did, but their not far behind. We just need rain now but not the 1-2" we got over a week ago. Hand watering now to keep them going.

Finally had some Cherokees ripen a few days ago tasty they are!

Slippy
08-17-2019, 09:31 AM
Our first round of crops were a huge success but now that the summer heat and drought has hit "The Rolling Plains Of Dixie" at Slippy Lodge, everything but the Peppers are dying off. We planted a second round of tomatoes (plants, not seeds) and went out of town for last weekend and the heat lack of rain killed half of the new tomato plants.

Herbs are also struggling and second planting of carrots from seeds are puny at best. Temps have been in the mid 90's and we haven't had significant rain in at least 2 weeks.

Good luck all to the north of us,

Broncosfan
08-17-2019, 09:36 AM
Were canning green beans today. Picked 33 lbs this week so not a bad week. We do french style so it takes a little longer to slice them and then canning. Put another 5 lbs of supersweet 100 tomaotes in the dehydrator yesterday. Thinking of dehydrating some cucumbers to use in winter salads. But thats for another day. Picked concord grapes yesterday. so its grape jam making for tomorrow. Busiest canning weekend so far

hawgrider
09-03-2019, 01:05 PM
Garlic back in the ground today.

Geesh I'm getting too old for this stuff. Farmers market keeps looking better and better.

Broncosfan
09-03-2019, 01:31 PM
Garlic back in the ground today.

Geesh I'm getting too old for this stuff. Farmers market keeps looking better and better.

Your getting it done! I'm no way near that yet. Still need to order some garlic.

Broncosfan
09-04-2019, 10:42 AM
Took a stroll out to the garden. I looked around and just see nothing but blessings from above. I know we have done a lot of things to improve our garden this year but I truely believe the good Lord is providing for a long winter. Our garden is still going stong. Some tomatoes have played out but others are going strong. We have dehydrated over 50 lbs of supersweet 100's. I estimate we have picked at least 75 lbs maybe more. Cucumber aren't going to waste there used as chicken feed and treats. Bell peppers have been frozen and dehydrated. I have no idea how many pounds of produce we had picked but I'm sure its way north of 1000 maybe over 2000. Thank you Lord!

TJC44
09-07-2019, 12:58 PM
Well, I had a look at my "garden(?)"
It's official, If I had to depend on my gardening skills to survive.....
I'm a goner.
#blackthumb

Prepared One
09-07-2019, 01:17 PM
I'm a goner.
#blackthumb

Yep, me to! All my peppers and tomato plants bit the dust this year and I am at a loss as to why. Even my fake plants died. I am a goner once my stores run out.

hawgrider
09-07-2019, 02:08 PM
I'm a goner.
#blackthumb

Yep, me to! All my peppers and tomato plants bit the dust this year and I am at a loss as to why. Even my fake plants died. I am a goner once my stores run out.

That's why we hunt! :chef:

TJC44
09-07-2019, 02:40 PM
Yep, me to! All my peppers and tomato plants bit the dust this year and I am at a loss as to why. Even my fake plants died. I am a goner once my stores run out.Thanks. I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Baglady
09-08-2019, 03:14 PM
Good job! Your going to have a nice winter cooking up those goodies.

MountainGirl
09-08-2019, 05:29 PM
Good job! Your going to have a nice winter cooking up those goodies.

Hey Baglady, small favor? Could you maybe either click Reply With Quote - or name in your post who you're replying to?
I need all the help I can get keepin track of who is talkin to who.:lost::boggled:
Thanks!:D

TJC44
09-08-2019, 05:44 PM
Hey Baglady, small favor? Could you maybe either click Reply With Quote - or name in your post who you're replying to?
I need all the help I can get keepin track of who is talkin to who.:lost::boggled:

Cut her a little slack, she's out of practice.:bounce:

MountainGirl
09-08-2019, 06:30 PM
Cut her a little slack, she's out of practice.:bounce:

Oh...I'm thinkin she's woman enough to handle a small request for help :halo:
and likely most anything else that comes her way. :D

Baglady
09-09-2019, 01:06 AM

I am out of practice. It's been 2 yrs since I was on the internet, but thanks for the reminder. It never really occurred to me. Back then I was on dial up, and cut corners wherever I could to save time.

hawgrider
09-09-2019, 07:36 AM
I am out of practice. It's been 2 yrs since I was on the internet, but thanks for the reminder. It never really occurred to me. Back then I was on dial up, and cut corners wherever I could to save time.

You are a Moderator you can post how ever your heart desires and nobody can tell you any different.

Baglady
09-09-2019, 12:44 PM
You are a Moderator you can post how ever your heart desires and nobody can tell you any different.

No biggie, I can see what she was getting at.

You didn't get any work out of me before, and I don't see that changing...;)

hawgrider
09-09-2019, 01:10 PM
No biggie, I can see what she was getting at.

You didn't get any work out of me before, and I don't see that changing...;) Yeah you took out some trash once or twice. Don't worry I ain't no slave driver. But you do have the power to wreck havoc if you can locate the buttons. People should fear you because we gave you the keys to the steam roller. :steamroller:

TJC was here :bounce:

TJC44
09-09-2019, 06:22 PM
Yeah you took out some trash once or twice. Don't worry I ain't no slave driver. But you do have the power to wreck havoc if you can locate the buttons. People should fear you because we gave you the keys to the steam roller. :steamroller:

Oh, yeah, we are all SOO scared of Hawg. He doesn't even realize that the steamroller doesn't have keys.

hawgrider
09-09-2019, 06:51 PM
Oh, yeah, we are all SOO scared of Hawg. He doesn't even realize that the steamroller doesn't have keys.

What You guys told me I couldn't drive it because the key was missing. See how yous are! :bs:

TJC44
09-09-2019, 07:06 PM
:bs:

Now you have fertilizer for your garden next year! :jester:

Baglady
09-10-2019, 01:18 PM

What? He gave me a bogus gift? Aint that just like "The Man" (!) "We're giving you a bonus this month...You just have to work Saturdays to get it..." :bigboss:

Broncosfan
09-24-2019, 06:57 PM
Finally got the apples picked. Several tress didn't produce this year so not a very big crop. Wet spring made it hard to keep sprayed but we still ended up with over 150 lbs. We had 3 varieties this year so it should be some really good apple sauce.

Baglady
09-27-2019, 03:00 PM
Finally got the apples picked. Several tress didn't produce this year so not a very big crop. Wet spring made it hard to keep sprayed but we still ended up with over 150 lbs. We had 3 varieties this year so it should be some really good apple sauce.

Awesome! Maybe make some apple jack while your at it..? Are you going to dry some for pies?

Broncosfan
09-27-2019, 06:38 PM
Awesome! Maybe make some apple jack while your at it..? Are you going to dry some for pies?

No we freeze for pies and have already put over 20 lbs in the freezer a couple of weeks ago. Two years ago we had a bumper crop and dehydrated several dozen jars and we snack on them. We done some plain some with Cabelas caramel apple coating and then we dusted some with sugar and cinnamon. These will all be done for sauce becasue we still have apple butter left from that year.

Baglady
09-28-2019, 10:49 PM
No we freeze for pies and have already put over 20 lbs in the freezer a couple of weeks ago. Two years ago we had a bumper crop and dehydrated several dozen jars and we snack on them. We done some plain some with Cabelas caramel apple coating and then we dusted some with sugar and cinnamon. These will all be done for sauce becasue we still have apple butter left from that year.

Love apple butter and apple sauce. Made some myself 4 or 5 yrs ago. There was a crockpot recipe I had found. I recall it was easy. Do you have a grinding mill?

Broncosfan
09-29-2019, 12:28 AM
Love apple butter and apple sauce. Made some myself 4 or 5 yrs ago. There was a crockpot recipe I had found. I recall it was easy. Do you have a grinding mill?

No yesterday we hand peeled and used the food processor to make apple sauce. We have an electric peeler but the apples this year had a lot of spots so it was easier to just hand peel. We made 38 quarts. We will finish this morning probably another 8-10 quarts left to do. I have used the crock pot to make apple butter from scratch. It was almost a perfect recreation of my late Grandmother recipe. I cooked it a couple days in the crock pot continuing to add apples everyday until it was very thick. I plan to buy a copper kettle to make apple butter outside and then sell it a long with my spices and jam to make a little side income hopefully next year.

Slippy
09-29-2019, 09:32 AM
No yesterday we hand peeled and used the food processor to make apple sauce. We have an electric peeler but the apples this year had a lot of spots so it was easier to just hand peel. We made 38 quarts. We will finish this morning probably another 8-10 quarts left to do. I have used the crock pot to make apple butter from scratch. It was almost a perfect recreation of my late Grandmother recipe. I cooked it a couple days in the crock pot continuing to add apples everyday until it was very thick. I plan to buy a copper kettle to make apple butter outside and then sell it a long with my spices and jam to make a little side income hopefully next year.

Awesome Bronc!

We made some Peach & Habenero Jelly Friday. Home grown Habanero's and store bought peaches. I put 2 large Habanero's in the mixture to make 10 jelly sized jars and it is surprisingly "warm"..."warm" meaning a bit on the HOT side! But tastes great. I didn't bother to skim off the pectin foam since I mostly use it for BBQ glazes and such. Peaches, Habeneros, Sugar and a bit of AllSpice.

Care to share Grandma's recipe?

Prepared One
09-29-2019, 09:52 AM
Awesome Bronc!

We made some Peach & Habenero Jelly Friday. Home grown Habanero's and store bought peaches. I put 2 large Habanero's in the mixture to make 10 jelly sized jars and it is surprisingly "warm"..."warm" meaning a bit on the HOT side! But tastes great. I didn't bother to skim off the pectin foam since I mostly use it for BBQ glazes and such. Peaches, Habeneros, Sugar and a bit of AllSpice.

Care to share Grandma's recipe?

I buy the some of the specialty jellies at a shop here in Houston. I love the Habanero and Jalapeño mixes. Their Marmalade's are awesome as well. Good eats.

Slippy
09-29-2019, 11:49 AM
I buy the some of the specialty jellies at a shop here in Houston. I love the Habanero and Jalapeño mixes. Their Marmalade's are awesome as well. Good eats.

P.O.

Jellies are very easy to make and you can add certain items to make them very different from even the small craft producers. I've added various whisky's and licquers to the jellies to get a very interesting taste.

Some of my better mixes that we've done included Peaches, Apples or Nectarines mixed with Jack Daniels Honey Whiskey or Southern Comfort and Jalapeno's.

Sadly, the alcohol cooks off but the taste stays!

The deer got most of my blueberries this year but I plan on doing a blueberry vodka jelly next!

Broncosfan
09-29-2019, 12:06 PM
P.O.

Jellies are very easy to make and you can add certain items to make them very different from even the small craft producers. I've added various whisky's and licquers to the jellies to get a very interesting taste.

Some of my better mixes that we've done included Peaches, Apples or Nectarines mixed with Jack Daniels Honey Whiskey or Southern Comfort and Jalapeno's.

Sadly, the alcohol cooks off but the taste stays!

The deer got most of my blueberries this year but I plan on doing a blueberry vodka jelly next!

That reminds me I need to move my blueberry plants. They haven't done well in there location. Need to put that on my before winter to do list.
I haven't had time to experiment with some exotic flavors yet. The apple butter is probably my top prize right now since it was from scratch. Smoking the different peppers and garlic and blending them is up there high on the list. I wish we didn't need to use a commercial kitchen to produce salsa and such becasue I'm positive my salsa would do well.

Inor
09-29-2019, 12:23 PM
Mrs Inor came into a BUNCH of pears last fall. Wondering what to do with them, she made "Pear Butter" - just apple butter, but made with pears. It is outstanding stuff, especially as a glaze for pork. Sometimes I mix in a little Franks Hot Sauce to give it a little heat... MMMM!!!

This year, we are getting peppers by the boatload. The hot ones we grew. - Some of those little Thai bastards that will light you up like the 4th of July and some Jalapenos. Mrs Inor also got a bunch of sweet peppers from the local pepper farmer.

https://www.azfb.org/Article/The-Story-of-Arizona-Chili-Pepprs-Cant-Be-Told-without-Ed-Curry

Curry Farms is located only about 3 miles from M.T. Acres. They grow mostly seed peppers and provide almost 90% of the seed for peppers grown in These United States. Ed Curry is an AWSOME dude and he makes sure he takes care of our little town for our pepper needs.

So, for the last two weeks Mrs Inor has been roasting and freezing sweet peppers.

Broncosfan
09-29-2019, 01:34 PM
Mrs Inor came into a BUNCH of pears last fall. Wondering what to do with them, she made "Pear Butter" - just apple butter, but made with pears. It is outstanding stuff, especially as a glaze for pork. Sometimes I mix in a little Franks Hot Sauce to give it a little heat... MMMM!!!

This year, we are getting peppers by the boatload. The hot ones we grew. - Some of those little Thai bastards that will light you up like the 4th of July and some Jalapenos. Mrs Inor also got a bunch of sweet peppers from the local pepper farmer.

https://www.azfb.org/Article/The-Story-of-Arizona-Chili-Pepprs-Cant-Be-Told-without-Ed-Curry

Curry Farms is located only about 3 miles from M.T. Acres. They grow mostly seed peppers and provide almost 90% of the seed for peppers grown in These United States. Ed Curry is an AWSOME dude and he makes sure he takes care of our little town for our pepper needs..

So, for the last two weeks Mrs Inor has been roasting and freezing sweet peppers.

We have froze,dehydrated and canned all kinds of peppers this year. Unbelievable crop this year. I also have some homemade smoked Tabasco hot sauce brewing in the refrigerator right now. My Tabasco plants are between 4'-5' tall this year. My wife and daughter love the Cowboy Candy I made with mild banana peppers. I made pear jam last year and it was a hit. We will be picking pears in the next few days and will allow them to ripen some in the garage before canning them.
Thanks for the article link

Inor
09-29-2019, 01:39 PM
We have froze,dehydrated and canned all kinds of peppers this year. Unbelievable crop this year. I also have some homemade smoked Tabasco hot sauce brewing in the refrigerator right now. My Tabasco plants are between 4'-5' tall this year. My wife and daughter love the Cowboy Candy I made with mild banana peppers. I made pear jam last year and it was a hit. We will be picking pears in the next few days and will allow them to ripen some in the garage before canning them.

Cowboy Candy is one of my favorites! Mrs Inor also candied some ginger root (the same is Cowboy candy, just with ginger instead of peppers) a few years ago. That was really good too. It is also a great thing to have on hand if you get an upset stomach. One or two pieces will leave you feeling MUCH better.

Slippy
09-29-2019, 03:21 PM

Cowboy Candy is one of my favorites! Mrs Inor also candied some ginger root (the same is Cowboy candy, just with ginger instead of peppers) a few years ago. That was really good too. It is also a great thing to have on hand if you get an upset stomach. One or two pieces will leave you feeling MUCH better.

Plenty of Cowboy Candy in our stores! Home Grown Jalapenos and syrupy love!

Broncosfan
09-29-2019, 06:50 PM
Our jalapenos had much more kick this year than in past years. A little too hot for my wife so she now enjoys the sweet banana pepper. I have yet to open a jar of Cowboy Candy made with hot banana peppers.

Baglady
09-30-2019, 11:04 PM

That's a lot of peeling for sure. And a lot of applesauce. Tho, worth it I know. Do you ever go to the Burton Apple (butter?) (cider?) festival? We used to go to all the fruit festivals when I was a kid in Ohio. (fruit festivals..:bounce:)..
There were the Grape Jamboree in Geneva, The Strawberry festival, The Swiss Cheese festival in Amish country, ^ that one, and Old Fashioned Days in my home town of Madison. Those kind of childhood memories last a lifetime.

Broncosfan
10-01-2019, 03:44 AM
That's a lot of peeling for sure. And a lot of applesauce. Tho, worth it I know. Do you ever go to the Burton Apple (butter?) (cider?) festival? We used to go to all the fruit festivals when I was a kid in Ohio. (fruit festivals..:bounce:)..
There were the Grape Jamboree in Geneva, The Strawberry festival, The Swiss Cheese festival in Amish country, ^ that one, and Old Fashioned Days in my home town of Madison. Those kind of childhood memories last a lifetime.

No never been to any of them. Seems we don't get out a lot on weekends since my wife drives a lot to work she would rather stay home anyways. The Grape Jamboree reminds me I have concord grape pie filling froze in the freezer and I need to make another grape pie soon.

Gambit
10-01-2019, 03:47 AM
I have a question
when planting bushes / trees I am post to do this in fall seasons right? and if so dose it matter when in fall?
we still in the low-mid 90's so not sure if that matters

im looking at planting 2-3 thornless blackberries and how far cane they be apart from each other where ill still get berries

hawgrider
10-01-2019, 04:20 AM
I have a question
when planting bushes / trees I am post to do this in fall seasons right? and if so dose it matter when in fall?

im looking at planting 2-3 thornless blackberries and how far cane they be apart from each other where ill still get berries

Up here its any month with a "R" in it.

Broncosfan
10-01-2019, 04:51 AM
I have a question

I think around 3' apart is the normal spacing if you want them in a row. Most blackberries self pollinate themselves with bees help but your have a better crop if you have more than one variety. I'm no expert but I would plant no father than about 5' apart max if it were me. We're having a heat wave here in Ohio this week. Much cooler at the end of the week so I would wait until after the 90's. Be sure to water a couple of times a week if you don't get much rain. If you plant in the 90's I would water everyday if possible

Slippy
10-01-2019, 06:13 AM
I have a question

Gambit,

Make sure your location is in full sun. Blackberries won't produce in the shade. Also, if your thornless blackberry bushes are the Trailing Variety, you'll need to build a Trellis or something for the vines to grow up. Makes harvesting the blackberries easier.

I think Early Spring planting is the best time but I'd check with the nursery that you buy from.

Good luck!

Gambit
10-01-2019, 10:37 AM
thank you all for info

Baglady
10-01-2019, 11:06 PM
No never been to any of them. Seems we don't get out a lot on weekends since my wife drives a lot to work she would rather stay home anyways. The Grape Jamboree reminds me I have concord grape pie filling froze in the freezer and I need to make another grape pie soon.
You should make a date day with your wife and take her to some of the wineries. They always have food and good local musicians, and you can drive.
Never heard of Grape pie. Do you mix something with it so the grape flavor isnt too strong?

Broncosfan
10-02-2019, 05:01 AM
You should make a date day with your wife and take her to some of the wineries. They always have food and good local musicians, and you can drive.
Never heard of Grape pie. Do you mix something with it so the grape flavor isnt too strong?

No its all concord grapes, sugar and a thickener. If I remember correctly. I had never heard of a grape pie either until a lady commented on my grapes one day and sent me the recipe.
Anyways my wife prefers to stay at home on the weekends even if I drive as she is away from home about 12-13 hrs a day during the week

shootbrownelk
10-02-2019, 05:42 AM
I had to cover my tomatoes and bell pepper plants, we had a frost warning for last night and tonight. Snow on the way I guess. I can stop it for awhile, all I have to do is put the plow back on my Yamaha Rhino.

Broncosfan
10-02-2019, 07:39 AM
I had to cover my tomatoes and bell pepper plants, we had a frost warning for last night and tonight. Snow on the way I guess. I can stop it for awhile, all I have to do is put the plow back on my Yamaha Rhino.

Yes it coming quick. We have had record highs (90's +) all week. Friday our high will be in the 60's and lows in the 40"s. I wonder how quick the frost will get to us? I'm still getting a few little tomatoes but nothing to get excited about. I'm pulling the green beans out tomorrow morning. There still producing but I'm not canning anymore. I did get the strawberry beds redone and ready for next year. 224 plants in all. I think I will cover them with straw this year to help protect them.

StratBastard
10-02-2019, 07:48 AM

Baglady
10-03-2019, 09:43 PM

:bounce::bounce::bounce: ..turn off a/c..says the man who does not live in the South..funny guy!

Innkeeper
10-04-2019, 10:39 PM
:bounce::bounce::bounce: ..turn off a/c..says the man who does not live in the South..funny guy!I have spent quite a bit of time in places hotter than the south without having A/C. You can get used to being without it the same way you got used to having it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Broncosfan
10-05-2019, 06:20 AM
I have spent quite a bit of time in places hotter than the south without having A/C. You can get used to being without it the same way you got used to having it.

I agree. We never had a air conditioner when we lived in Florida when I was younger. Now as I get older I have gotten accustom to it. Although we just a have window unit now I expect to put central air in soon mostly to help control the humidity

shootbrownelk
10-05-2019, 08:39 AM
Hard frost and snow coming soon here. I'll try covering again, but after this attempt it'll be the end of gardening for me. Actually, I'm surprised the growing season was as long as it was here. It's supposed to get into the teens.

Slippy
10-05-2019, 11:15 AM
Still major heat and major drought at Slippy Lodge. 90's but we're hoping for a reprieve on Monday.

In 8 years, I cannot remember any deer getting within 100 yards of the house and garden.

Earlier this summer I noticed a few deer getting close and in the past few weeks more have come within a few yards of my garage. This morning, I noticed deer droppings inside my fence and within 2 feet of one of my raised vegetable beds. The only things that are still living and producing in the garden are Basil, Habaneros and Jalapeno Peppers.

The Basil is untouched...is it possible that the deer like Hot Peppers? HMMMM?

Baglady
10-10-2019, 11:01 AM
I have spent quite a bit of time in places hotter than the south without having A/C. You can get used to being without it the same way you got used to having it.

When I was younger also. I lived in NM without any air too. Now? Heat indexes above 105. It's dangerous. People are dying.

Broncosfan
10-11-2019, 01:43 PM
Hard frost and snow coming soon here. I'll try covering again, but after this attempt it'll be the end of gardening for me. Actually, I'm surprised the growing season was as long as it was here. It's supposed to get into the teens.

Looks like we might get our first frost here Saturday night. The forecast is saying in rural areas but there is a possibility of some light winds so we might make it. I will be covering our Tabasco plants as they have a lot of peppers that need to ripen. We picked over 4 lbs last night and there in the smoker now. So we will see how this goes but we still have lots of peppers on the plants and plenty of grape tomatoes.

hawgrider
10-11-2019, 04:50 PM
Looks like we might get our first frost here Saturday night. The forecast is saying in rural areas but there is a possibility of some light winds so we might make it. I will be covering our Tabasco plants as they have a lot of peppers that need to ripen. We picked over 4 lbs last night and there in the smoker now. So we will see how this goes but we still have lots of peppers on the plants and plenty of grape tomatoes.

I grew Tabasco peppers a couple years ago they are zippy little peppers!

Broncosfan
10-11-2019, 05:08 PM
I grew Tabasco peppers a couple years ago they are zippy little peppers!

Yes they are especially for their size. I made the refrigerator hot sauce with them a couple of years ago. The plants are the tallest of all of my pepper plants

Broncosfan
10-16-2019, 05:48 PM
Cleaned out the garden over the weekend. Now trying to take care of what we picked. I have already smoked about 3/4 of red jalapenos that we picked. I made 6 pints of hot banana Cowboy Candy. I have stuffed over 200 jalapeno halves for poppers to freeze. Still have about 75 more to do. I plan to string up some poblano peppers to dry. I still have so Fresno peppers to do something with hopefully. After Saturday our garden canning should be done for the year after we finish canning the pears. I still plan to can some dried baby green lima beans and some pintos for quick meals.

Innkeeper
10-17-2019, 10:32 PM
When I was younger also. I lived in NM without any air too. Now? Heat indexes above 105. It's dangerous. People are dying.True it is dangerous but you just have to work smart and stay hydrated.

Baglady
10-17-2019, 11:46 PM
Cleaned out the garden over the weekend. Now trying to take care of what we picked. I have already smoked about 3/4 of red jalapenos that we picked. I made 6 pints of hot banana Cowboy Candy. I have stuffed over 200 jalapeno halves for poppers to freeze. Still have about 75 more to do. I plan to string up some poblano peppers to dry. I still have so Fresno peppers to do something with hopefully. After Saturday our garden canning should be done for the year after we finish canning the pears. I still plan to can some dried baby green lima beans and some pintos for quick meals.

Wow. You and the Mrs have been doing a lot of work! Are you smoking the jalepeno's that your stuffing? What are you stuffing them with? Are you breading them before you freeze them? Sorry if I'm being a pain, I really am interested, I love Jalapeno Poppers.

Broncosfan
10-18-2019, 04:50 AM
Wow. You and the Mrs have been doing a lot of work! Are you smoking the jalepeno's that your stuffing? What are you stuffing them with? Are you breading them before you freeze them? Sorry if I'm being a pain, I really am interested, I love Jalapeno Poppers.

First they are cut horizontal seeds removed. The filling is made from a mix of cream cheese and colby-jack cheese. Then I put them on a cookie sheet in the freezer. Once froze I put them in a vacuum seal bag. When needed they are removed from the freezer to thaw. Once thawed out I add a seasoning or crumbed bacon. Then there topped with mozzarella cheese. We do not use a breading at all. They are placed on a cast iron plate made for poppers and placed on the top rack of the grill or convection oven depending on the weather. Then cooked for 20-30 minutes until the cheese is melted and slightly darkened depending on the size of the peppers

Baglady
10-22-2019, 10:29 PM
First they are cut horizontal seeds removed. The filling is made from a mix of cream cheese and colby-jack cheese. Then I put them on a cookie sheet in the freezer. Once froze I put them in a vacuum seal bag. When needed they are removed from the freezer to thaw. Once thawed out I add a seasoning or crumbed bacon. Then there topped with mozzarella cheese. We do not use a breading at all. They are placed on a cast iron plate made for poppers and placed on the top rack of the grill or convection oven depending on the weather. Then cooked for 20-30 minutes until the cheese is melted and slightly darkened depending on the size of the peppers

That sounds really good! I do like them breaded, but I may have to try that sometime.

Slippy
10-31-2019, 02:59 PM
Temperatures are starting to drop and we are have been in the process of cleaning/clearing/supplementing the raised beds for the winter.

Time to think about getting a better compost system. Our current piles are just that, a couple of piles around our place that we add to our beds every year, nothing very scientific or organized, so I decided I'm going to build a Large Compost Bin.

I did an inventory of lumber in my barn/boneyard and I think I have enough treated lumber and old cedar lumber from a fence that I tore down, to build a large and sturdy compost bin to put near Mrs Slippy's front raised beds.

Any suggestions or pictures from you knuckleheads will help me as I design Slippy's Famous Compost Bin!

Baglady
10-31-2019, 09:14 PM
Temperatures are starting to drop and we are have been in the process of cleaning/clearing/supplementing the raised beds for the winter.

Time to think about getting a better compost system. Our current piles are just that, a couple of piles around our place that we add to our beds every year, nothing very scientific or organized, so I decided I'm going to build a Large Compost Bin.

I did an inventory of lumber in my barn/boneyard and I think I have enough treated lumber and old cedar lumber from a fence that I tore down, to build a large and sturdy compost bin to put near Mrs Slippy's front raised beds.

Any suggestions or pictures from you knuckleheads will help me as I design Slippy's Famous Compost Bin!

This knucklehead recommends you simply put a gate on one side and hand her a pitchfork. To turn the compost. You can add worms when you want, and when they don't want to eat compost they can go to ground.

Slippy
11-02-2019, 09:54 AM
I'm no Inor in the woodshop but I was able to slap few pieces of lumber, some treated, some reclaimed from an old cedar fence, together and build a new compost bin. We started the compost process with some cardboard, wheat straw, bagged manure (BAGGED MANURE? Slippy you spent good money on SHIT?! :fanculo:), some kitchen scraps and grass clippings. Fun little project!

I'll finish the roof and add a door later.

Inor
11-02-2019, 10:50 PM
I'm no Inor in the woodshop but I was able to slap few pieces of lumber, some treated, some reclaimed from an old cedar fence, together and build a new compost bin. We started the compost process with some cardboard, wheat straw, bagged manure (BAGGED MANURE? Slippy you spent good money on SHIT?! :fanculo:), some kitchen scraps and grass clippings. Fun little project!

I'll finish the roof and add a door later.

Now we're talkin' boyo! Awesome job! Please post photos of the finished product!

Slippy
11-03-2019, 09:11 AM
Now we're talkin' boyo! Awesome job! Please post photos of the finished product!

Added another 2X10 to the front and cut a piece of heavy gauge Hog Fencing to size and attached it to a simple clip so that the Hog Fence Door swings up to allow access to the compost but keeps critters out.

Now, for the roof?

Sparkyprep
11-03-2019, 01:08 PM
Added another 2X10 to the front and cut a piece of heavy gauge Hog Fencing to size and attached it to a simple clip so that the Hog Fence Door swings up to allow access to the compost but keeps critters out.

Now, for the roof?

A simple piece of tin?

Slippy
11-03-2019, 06:23 PM
A simple piece of tin?

Thats what I was thinking too. Have some leftover 26 Gauge Metal roofing from my barn so I'll cut a piece and probably build a frame and attach it to a couple of hinges so I can raise the lid.

Inor
11-03-2019, 10:06 PM
Help me out here guys. I have only been a southerner for just over 3 years and only recently have found myself with enough time to even consider setting up hardcore gardening.

Is it common to wrap your compost bin in black plastic to capture the heat and make it compost faster or does that just overheat it and catch on fire? (I have to build one of those in the next several months too. That is why I ask.)

Slippy
11-03-2019, 10:34 PM
Help me out here guys. I have only been a southerner for just over 3 years and only recently have found myself with enough time to even consider setting up hardcore gardening.

Is it common to wrap your compost bin in black plastic to capture the heat and make it compost faster or does that just overheat it and catch on fire? (I have to build one of those in the next several months too. That is why I ask.)

I've never heard of a compost pile catching actual fire!

Our old piles were just that, piles of grass clippings, leaves, sticks, bark mulch, pine straw etc. About once a year I'd add a few shovel loads to the raised beds.

The problem was that the piles were not "concentrated" and I don't think we were getting good composting.

You can buy an inexpensive barrel made of plastic and add your compost materials and it will do fine. But for us, the size of our raised bed gardens will now require a much larger area to produce good compost.

I plan to add at least 2 more bins the size of the bin that I just made and rotate out the compost.

Inor
11-03-2019, 11:24 PM

Our old piles were just that, piles of grass clippings, leaves, sticks, bark mulch, pine straw etc. About once a year I'd add a few shovel loads to the raised beds.

The problem was that the piles were not "concentrated" and I don't think we were getting good composting.

You can buy an inexpensive barrel made of plastic and add your compost materials and it will do fine. But for us, the size of our raised bed gardens will now require a much larger area to produce good compost.

I plan to add at least 2 more bins the size of the bin that I just made and rotate out the compost.

Oh God! Funny story!

About 20 years ago Mrs Inor had a bunch of hot peppers planted in pots. We bought some kind of super compost shit at the garden store that was supposed to do amazing things. One day I came home and she was just madder than hell at me for no reason. She would not talk to me, wouldn't even look at me. After about 2 hours of the silent treatment, it came out: "YOU PUT YOUR STOGIE OUT IN THE PEPPER PLANT AND IT CAUGHT ON FIRE!!!!"

"Sorry dear, it was not me. I had been gone from the house for more than 4 hours before the fire started."

It turned out, the super compost we bought was flammable enough that even being in the Minnesota sun for a few hours in black pots heated it up enough to start on fire! I laughed my ass off as I picked pre-roasted peppers from her plant!

TJC44
11-04-2019, 06:45 AM

I thought the air circulation helped the material break down. What's the logic behind covering a pile? It's dirt, or future dirt. Rain isn't going to hurt it, and again, speed up the process?

shootbrownelk
11-04-2019, 07:44 AM
You're supposed to wet the pile down occasionally. There was a compost pile (huge) that caught fire internally and spread to burn down more than 10 homes and outbuildings in Casper, Wyoming, I read about it in the Star Tribune. Those things do catch fire. The pile in Casper was mostly wood chips, leaves and yard waste.

Inor
11-04-2019, 09:20 AM
I thought the air circulation helped the material break down. What's the logic behind covering a pile? It's dirt, or future dirt. Rain isn't going to hurt it, and again, speed up the process?

It holds the heat in. In MN, if you did not cover it to generate more heat, it took forever to compost.

Slippy
11-04-2019, 10:32 AM

In the Southeast, we get plenty of rain so moisture is more of a negative than a positive in composting here. Too much rain will "cool down" the composting process. The lid will keep some of the rain out but not a blowing rain.

Air circulation is important too but most important is the Mix of GREEN items and BROWN items to compost. shootbrownelk mentions, compost piles can get HOT and ignite. But I suspect thats usually in drier areas.

Our old compost piles (just piles over in the open) never got steaming hot and I think I never was able to get a good mix of greens and browns. I'd get lazy and blow my leaves into the piles or add too much grass clippngs and it just became a big mess. Plus critters would raid the pile and steal all of our kitchen scraps. Pain in the ass.

So my new Bins will be more secure and I plan to take more care in how much of what I add.

Slippy
11-04-2019, 10:36 AM
Oh God! Funny story!

About 20 years ago Mrs Inor had a bunch of hot peppers planted in pots. We bought some kind of super compost shit at the garden store that was supposed to do amazing things. One day I came home and she was just madder than hell at me for no reason. She would not talk to me, wouldn't even look at me. After about 2 hours of the silent treatment, it came out: "YOU PUT YOUR STOGIE OUT IN THE PEPPER PLANT AND IT CAUGHT ON FIRE!!!!"

"Sorry dear, it was not me. I had been gone from the house for more than 4 hours before the fire started."

It turned out, the super compost we bought was flammable enough that even being in the Minnesota sun for a few hours in black pots heated it up enough to start on fire! I laughed my ass off as I picked pre-roasted peppers from her plant!

Funny! And a bit scary too. Glad all is well.

Slippy
11-07-2019, 07:02 AM
Used some leftover roofing from the barn, built a simple frame, added hinges and a handle and the top of the compost bin is complete. Mostly built from material that I had in inventory. Fun little project.

Looking for the next project!

Inor
11-07-2019, 07:18 AM
Used some leftover roofing from the barn, built a simple frame, added hinges and a handle and the top of the compost bin is complete. Mostly built from material that I had in inventory. Fun little project.

Nicely done!

Baglady
11-11-2019, 07:52 PM

Looks good. Pallets would work too. If you see your not containing enough heat to help in the break down process, you can always shove tin inside around the walls. With the lid as it is the hot air will still rise and escape. Keep us posted.

Slippy
12-06-2019, 07:19 PM

I moved the Lemon Tree into the basement a few weeks ago and made sure it got afternoon sun and plenty of water. Lemons have really started to turn a nice plump size and a sweet yellow color. This particular lemon tree has to be about 9 maybe 10 years old and I keep the little bastard pruned pretty small and so far it produces lemons every other year or maybe every third year. Strange but fun!

Inor
12-06-2019, 07:23 PM

I moved the Lemon Tree into the basement a few weeks ago and made sure it got afternoon sun and plenty of water. Lemons have really started to turn a nice plump size and a sweet yellow color. This particular lemon tree has to be about 9 maybe 10 years old and I keep the little bastard pruned pretty small and so far it produces lemons every other year or maybe every third year. Strange but fun!

Our lemon tree is a snowflake. We feed it and water it and keep it trimmed and looking nice. It produces nothing.

hawgrider
12-06-2019, 07:47 PM

I moved the Lemon Tree into the basement a few weeks ago and made sure it got afternoon sun and plenty of water. Lemons have really started to turn a nice plump size and a sweet yellow color. This particular lemon tree has to be about 9 maybe 10 years old and I keep the little bastard pruned pretty small and so far it produces lemons every other year or maybe every third year. Strange but fun! Tequila time! I have the salt.