PDA

View Full Version : Retirement Options: Different Strokes

StratBastard
03-03-2019, 05:49 PM
LOTS of folks with different ideas about how they want to live in retirement, and what they can afford. Here's an interesting one to start:

Man retires at The Holiday Inn...

https://gritpost.com/retiree-holiday-inn-senior-home/?fbclid=IwAR0pEXLLt6zoYEUZFzRnaKOAfuYMQzmXzCb9AX9j N8NH5XOgT76rK8_rXk4

Sparkyprep
03-03-2019, 05:51 PM
I've heard of people retiring on cruise ships. It seems that living 365 days a year on a cruise ship is still cheaper than a retirement home.

RubberDuck
03-03-2019, 05:57 PM
No utilities and some cruise probably included 3 basic meals no property tax not a all bad Idea.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

StratBastard
03-03-2019, 06:39 PM
Myself, I just downsized like hell. Sold most of everything I had, and rent a private room (in my best friend's house) w/bath for $600 month. No debt. No monthly payments on anything. Pension, SS, and a Land Sales Contract coming in every month. All preps paid for and stored. Money saved every month, and a bit of gold/silver purchased as well.
'Course, now that I'm free and clear, I'm almost too old and bunged up to really enjoy it LOL, but that's life sometimes isn't it? Now I'm considering the "long term care" insurance my pension plan offers. Not sure if I want someone wiping my ass and changing my diapers if it comes to that... much less paying them to do it.

Slippy
03-03-2019, 07:31 PM
Slippy Lodge is our retirement plan. Mrs Slippy will most likely die before me, (She has childhood onset Type 1 Diabetes) and if that happens, I plan to live out my life at Slippy Lodge.

If for some reason I need care due to a devastating illness, I've instructed my Sons to cash out an appropriate amount of money, rent a cabin in the Rocky or Teton Mountains, provide me with a few bottles of bourbon and whatever pain medicine/opiods my doctor will prescribe and allow me to live out my life as I see fit.

Big Ken
03-03-2019, 07:34 PM
No utilities and some cruise probably included 3 basic meals no property tax not a all bad Idea.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You can almost eat 24/7, room cleaned every day including all toiletries and hygiene supplies, clean bedding and most places free dry cleaning.

MountainGirl
03-03-2019, 08:08 PM
If for some reason I need care due to a devastating illness, I've instructed my Sons to cash out an appropriate amount of money, rent a cabin in the Rocky or Teton Mountains, provide me with a few bottles of bourbon and whatever pain medicine/opiods my doctor will prescribe and allow me to live out my life as I see fit.

If you need a peaceful spot, you are welcome at our fire.

Inor
03-03-2019, 10:16 PM
Slippy Lodge is our retirement plan. Mrs Slippy will most likely die before me, (She has childhood onset Type 1 Diabetes) and if that happens, I plan to live out my life at Slippy Lodge.

Yep. Mrs Inor and M.T. Acres is all there is worth living for. So why not put everything we have into that? If all that fails put a cap in the back of my head politely.

Sasquatch
03-04-2019, 01:57 AM
I'm going to freeze my head until they find a cure for what killed me.

StratBastard
03-04-2019, 02:15 AM

"Here's the BAD news" say the docs as you are waking up from your freeze. "It was your head that was killing you... the only part we saved dangit. BUT, here's the GOOD news" they say with a smile. "We were able to re-connect your Sasquatch head to a Gambit body... which will buy us time to find a cure. Meantime, go have some fun in the Pug hump train!"

Slippy
03-04-2019, 09:19 AM
"Here's the BAD news" say the docs as you are waking up from your freeze. "It was your head that was killing you... the only part we saved dangit. BUT, here's the GOOD news" they say with a smile. "We were able to re-connect your Sasquatch head to a Gambit body... which will buy us time to find a cure. Meantime, go have some fun in the Pug hump train!"

Posts like this make me wish I was an excellent cartoonist...:censored:

TJC44
03-04-2019, 11:11 AM
"Here's the BAD news" say the docs as you are waking up from your freeze. "It was your head that was killing you... the only part we saved dangit. BUT, here's the GOOD news" they say with a smile. "We were able to re-connect your Sasquatch head to a Gambit body... which will buy us time to find a cure. Meantime, go have some fun in the Pug hump train!"We're going to need a bigger Kiddie Pool of Shame

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

KnuteFartne
03-04-2019, 12:16 PM
Thought from the title maybe this was a Luke Perry thread.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MountainGirl
03-04-2019, 04:41 PM

Hey! Nice avatar. :getdown:

Sasquatch
03-04-2019, 06:18 PM
Hey! Nice avatar. :getdown:

Thanks! I thought I'd show off your skills.

MountainGirl
03-04-2019, 08:22 PM
Thanks! I thought I'd show off your skills.

Okie dokie - and give my regards to Dalton. (j/k) :D

Sparkyprep
03-04-2019, 08:40 PM
That escalated quickly.... lol