PDA

View Full Version : Gloves

omegabrock
11-18-2014, 08:36 AM
Not really survival gear related but what are some good, cheap (less than $50) gloves? Cold weather, outdoor and durable. I don't have any gloves and everything is ice here. I have been wrapping my sleeve around my hands but that doesn't give me much grip with an axe or chainsaw and impossible to do anything where I need to use my fingers (like fixing a 4 wheeler) so then I just deal with the cold until it feels like my fingers are frozen solid...but I mean who doesn't love the burning sensation when they thaw out right?

Infidel
11-18-2014, 10:53 AM
They dont fit your criteria of being under $50 but I have an older pair of these: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing/Mens-Casual-Clothing/Mens-Casual-Gloves/Mens-Cold-Weather-Gloves%7C/pc/104797080/c/104746680/sc/105547680/i/104002380/Cabelas-GORE-TEXreg-PrimaLoftreg-Pinnacle-Gloves/1611119.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fmens-cold-weather-gloves%2F_%2FN-1102403%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104002380%3FWTz_l%3DUnknown%253Bcat10 5547680&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat105547680%3Bcat104002380 and they're awesome. I use them for snow blowing and working around the yard when it's frigid. Never get cold or wet wearing them, even out in the freezing rain my hands stay dry. I've had mine for about 5 years and they're still in good shape. Sale price is $74.99 right now so if you're going to get a pair now is the time. I seem to recall them being cheaper when I bought them.

-Infidel

omegabrock
11-18-2014, 11:21 AM
Damn those sound awesome. I'll see if I can swing the extra money.

Coppertop
11-18-2014, 11:33 AM
Omega-

First I think that gloves are very important survival gear. If you are using an axe/chainsaw/or even just walking through the woods, Protection is very important. It is pretty easy to fall down and scrape them or to get blisters on your hands when working/surviving. If your hands are somehow injured- it decreases you effectiveness buy a huge amount.

For most work I do in here (oilfield, ranching, hunting) in cold weather, I generally wear an insulated leather work glove. They are fairly inexpensive, not overly bulky and keep your hands at a comfortable level. They won't keep your hands hot- but slightly cooler than what you think would be best(if you are just hanging out)

Remember that when you work, your body circulates blood faster and you warm up- Warm up to much, you start to sweat- the moisture in your clothes (hat and gloves included) makes you that much colder when you slow down. Hypothermia is not a joke!!!!

Thanks

omegabrock
11-18-2014, 12:15 PM
Oh definitely, I just meant not survival gear in the sense of I'm not really looking for an end all right now, just something to keep the hands warm this winter.

Imaexpat2
11-18-2014, 01:38 PM
I checked out the gloves that a link was posted by a previous poster from Cabelas just yesterday and I have to say for rough and rugged working gloves for being out in the cold, those look pretty dang good! If they would have been in camo...Id a got 'em! Sorry I just kind a have a Camo fetish of a sorts these days. Not sure youll have the dexterity to work on equipment like 4 wheelers but for chopping wood, working the fence line of the property and such they ought to be the cats meow.

Infidel
11-18-2014, 04:26 PM
I checked out the gloves that a link was posted by a previous poster from Cabelas just yesterday and I have to say for rough and rugged working gloves for being out in the cold, those look pretty dang good! If they would have been in camo...Id a got 'em! Sorry I just kind a have a Camo fetish of a sorts these days. Not sure youll have the dexterity to work on equipment like 4 wheelers but for chopping wood, working the fence line of the property and such they ought to be the cats meow.

Yeah they're pretty bulky so fine motor skills will be hampered but they will keep you warm. Even at the full retail price if mine finally go I'm buying another pair, I can't stand having cold hands or feet.

-Infidel

James m
11-18-2014, 06:50 PM
I have a pair of shooting gloves. I hate cold hands. I just fixed the cold feet problem with boot socks. But driving for me is a problem. Thats why the shooting gloves for control. They aren't probably as good at keeping warm as a real winter glove but.

James m
11-18-2014, 06:59 PM
Go search cabelas website for shooting gloves. They have a lot with thinsulate now. Mine don't have the thinsulate. Most are 20$ - 40$ with the insulation.

omegabrock
11-19-2014, 07:12 AM
I didn't even think of shooting gloves. I could also check mechanic gloves.

Infidel
11-19-2014, 10:54 AM
I use a pair of the Mechanic gloves while I'm grinding knives. They don't hold up very well to that abuse, even the ones with the leather finger tips. I use them because I like the dexterity they give me. For a general work glove I like the uninsulated leather work gloves Lowes carries (Wells Lamont maybe?).

-Infidel

omegabrock
11-19-2014, 10:59 AM
Good insight infidel.

Imaexpat2
11-19-2014, 02:30 PM
Yep! The older and wiser I get the more I realize there is not one do it all glove just as there is no one do it all gun. I keep about 3 different pairs of gloves in my BOB and around the house so I can address any task that pops up where gloves might be needed. You cant do much of anything with wet frozen hands and while my skin is "rough and tough"...it aint that tough. Yeah that's right, I just owned up to being a Girley-Boy instead of a macho man like John Wayne. Maybe one day I will grow up and be manly and all...

Infidel
11-19-2014, 04:08 PM
Yep! The older and wiser I get the more I realize there is not one do it all glove just as there is no one do it all gun. I keep about 3 different pairs of gloves in my BOB and around the house so I can address any task that pops up where gloves might be needed. You cant do much of anything with wet frozen hands and while my skin is "rough and tough"...it aint that tough. Yeah that's right, I just owned up to being a Girley-Boy instead of a macho man like John Wayne. Maybe one day I will grow up and be manly and all...

I'm pretty sure they broke the mold with John Wayne. I usually get about 10 minutes into my outdoor work and then go grab a pair of gloves, hurt hands suck. I have 5 or 6 pairs of work gloves in my shop so I always have a pair handy. Now that I think of it there's a couple pairs out there that need to be replaced. I do find that the insulated work gloves from Lowes are way too small, I need like a 2x pair of them instead of an XL pair, too bad they never have them.

-Infidel

RWalls
11-23-2014, 10:08 AM
I like fleece lined leather gloves for working, Carhartt makes a good pair. For wet I like Marmot or anyone similar. You want cheap go by a Marshalls or TJ Maxx I have found some really decent $80-100 gloves for $40.

shootbrownelk
11-24-2014, 12:10 PM
I have a pair of Cabelas hunting gloves, they keep your hands warm and dry. The only complaint I have with them is that if your hands are the least bit wet...or even just damp, you can't get them on for some reason. Only if your hands are totally dry can you get them on. Other friends who have bought Cabelas gloves that I run into while hunting say the same thing.

omegabrock
11-24-2014, 04:17 PM
I have a pair of Cabelas hunting gloves, they keep your hands warm and dry. The only complaint I have with them is that if your hands are the least bit wet...or even just damp, you can't get them on for some reason. Only if your hands are totally dry can you get them on. Other friends who have bought Cabelas gloves that I run into while hunting say the same thing.

Does baby powder help?

I've decided to start with some basic work gloves. Not specific to work or cold, just a little of both. Seeing as I will need a few pair (from reading the comments), I might as well start in the middle instead of dedicated cold weather or dedicated work.

I have a nice pair picked out already at the local farm store

shootbrownelk
11-29-2014, 09:58 AM
Does baby powder help?

I've decided to start with some basic work gloves. Not specific to work or cold, just a little of both. Seeing as I will need a few pair (from reading the comments), I might as well start in the middle instead of dedicated cold weather or dedicated work.

I have a nice pair picked out already at the local farm store

Good tip Omega, I'll try a small travel size bottle. Thanks.

Just Sayin'
12-02-2014, 06:12 PM
If anyone ever invents the pair of gloves that gives you dexterity, warmth, durability, and fits well too, they will make a fortune that puts Google to shame.
I have leather gloves, both plain and composites, kevlar, nomex, spandex, padded, silk, neoprene, insulated and Lord only knows what else, and not one pair does everything well. A good way to approach buying gloves is to see where you can "layer" your gloves. A light or midweight glove, fitted inside an outer shell (leather or other durable material) gives you a system that allows you to have pretty good manual dexterity, and the ability to perform heavy duty tasks when needed. You'll end up playing with, and buying a lot of gloves, but with some experimentation, you can usually find a combination that works for your needs.

Hell, I've got more pairs of gloves than my wife has shoes! Beat that with a stick...LOL

James m
12-02-2014, 10:35 PM
I wanted to sew a pouch on my gloves to hold a hand warmer on top of the glove. If its on top you can still grasp things. And if the bottom of your hand gets cold put it on top of the other hand to warm up. Never happened. It would be good with the reusable hand warmers.

Even with my shooting gloves I have a terrible time getting my truck keys out of my pocket and an even harder time clicking that button to unlock the truck. So I usually go without the gloves.

Sarge7402
12-03-2014, 04:26 PM
http://tuffmate.com/gloves.php?cat=Signature%20Series

These folks make great durable thin gloves - goat, deer, and cow hide. Also won't break the bank right at $30 or less

Tlock762x51
12-10-2014, 03:29 PM
For dexterity with a moderate amount of warmth and protection, I've always found pilot's gloves to be the best. They are fairly thin, but keep your hands warmer than you'd expect, with enough dexterity to allow you to pick a quarter up off of the floor. They are only so-so, at best, on durability. Still...I always love to have a pair on hand. Retail price seems to have been $35 for some time now, but I saw some at the last gun show for $20...I was tempted to pick up another pair.

Tim

Signal survival
12-20-2014, 10:26 AM
Well the Gloves are very important survival gear, especially in the winter. I just what you did in the absence of the gloves, even it as not the worst option since I have also handled the situation like this. A few years before I had purchased the leather gloves to handle the situation like this of around $56. They are doing good at least I can perform all the required tasks.

Inor
12-20-2014, 11:28 AM
I hate wearing gloves which is kind of a problem, living in Minnesota. Most of the winter I find myself walking around with my hands in my pockets. By February or March, my hands have usually toughened up enough to deal with the cold without gloves. I do have a couple pairs of leather gloves with varying thicknesses of wool liners. They are okay, but not great. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Pauls
12-29-2014, 05:20 PM
When it gets cold enough for me to wear gloves I generally do it a bit different. I like leather gloves but they are not warm. I wear the leather gloves and then wear mittens over them. The mittens keep my hands warm and when I need to work with my hands I pull the mitten off and work with the gloves.

I learned growing up that layers keep you warmer than any single layer of clothing no matter how thich it is. Your body is the furnace and the dead air space is the real insulation. The more layers you use the more dead airspace there is between the furnace and the cold.