PDA

View Full Version : A Little Help Please! 2003 Kawasaki Praire 650 Drive Belt Replacement

Slippy
06-02-2019, 02:03 PM
My 2003 Kawasaki ATV Prairie 650 petered out the other day, I suspect it will need a new Drive Belt but I haven't taken it apart to diagnose it yet. Engine is strong and it starts and runs like a champ. I noticed a funny sound a few weeks ago that sounded like a drive belt so I'm guessing thats where I'll start.

Any suggestions as I have never done this before?

Thanks

BucketBack
06-02-2019, 03:56 PM
I only have English sockets and taps.

I have Metric for USA made stuff, maybe German and Canuck

Broncosfan
06-02-2019, 04:51 PM
My 2003 Kawasaki ATV Prairie 650 petered out the other day, I suspect it will need a new Drive Belt but I haven't taken it apart to diagnose it yet. Engine is strong and it starts and runs like a champ. I noticed a funny sound a few weeks ago that sounded like a drive belt so I'm guessing thats where I'll start.

Any suggestions as I have never done this before?

Thanks

I would check you tube for a video. Sometimes a little extra input goes a long way in helping make the task a lot easier

Sparkyprep
06-02-2019, 07:50 PM
YouTube is the best for "how to" videos on this type of stuff. Do you have the belt tool that came with the machine? You will need it to get the leverage to pry the new belt on. Thos CVT transmissions need a lot of grunt, and a little finess to work on. I would suggest searching for "Hunter Works" on youtube. That guy is a CVT guru, and he is a hell of a nice guy too. He is very helpful on this subject, and usually even answers the phone when you call him.

TJC44
06-09-2019, 12:05 AM
Bumping for updates.
How is the patient, Dr. Slippy?