PDA

View Full Version : 1 year of food $849

Montana Rancher
12-06-2014, 01:01 AM
This is probably the best possible option for most if you want some long term food storage for a really decent price

http://www.costco.com/6%2c200-Total-Servings-1-Year-1-Person-Emergency-Food-Kit-By-Nutristore%e2%84%a2.product.100085303.html

Of course 1 year of food for 1 is 6xmonths for 2 or 3x months for 3

Sorry for you common core students that I had to spell that out for.

There is another option

http://www.costco.com/32%2c000-Total-Servings-4-Person-1-Year-Food-Storage.product.11763436.html

A slightly better deal, they give you a cook book with the kits, but you will need something to grind grain with.

Just Sayin'
12-06-2014, 07:44 AM
Those are some pretty good deals, and I wouldn't have thought about looking for them at Costco. Thanks for the info MR!

RWalls
12-06-2014, 08:14 AM
The first link is 440,000 calories? Divided by 365 days is 1,200 calories per day... I would be a pencil if I had to live off that. I think the one year supply is realistically 6 months worth if that's all you have to rely on. I do think that is better than nothing for anyone getting started.

Thrive doesn't provide calorie count unfortunately but my guess is it's a little higher than the other judging by the contents.

Innkeeper
12-06-2014, 05:49 PM
hmmm interesting I never thought of something that way...of course no COTSCO nearer then like 4 hours away.....so never thought to look there. Thanks for the heads up.

dsdmmat
12-06-2014, 06:06 PM
Looks like some pretty good deals, too bad there is no costcos around here.

Sarge7402
12-06-2014, 06:25 PM
Think you can probably do better at Walmart and buy real food. Remember that feed corn at the tractor supply store is just as good as the store bought and less than $0.20/pound; Two cases of spam - real meat not TVP - is only $60.00. Fifty pounds of lentils and pinto beans don't go very far. But a hundred pounds at Wally world is only $122. So for about $190 you'd have 18 pounds of meat, fifty pounds of corn and 100 pounds of beans/lentils.

Sarge7402
12-06-2014, 06:33 PM
Actually if you don't mind noodles (three packs per day gives you 1500 cak at less than a buck a meal or just about 1100 clams. If you can settle for 1000 cal per day then it's about 730

Just Sayin'
12-06-2014, 11:05 PM
Think you can probably do better at Walmart and buy real food. Remember that feed corn at the tractor supply store is just as good as the store bought and less than $0.20/pound; Two cases of spam - real meat not TVP - is only $60.00. Fifty pounds of lentils and pinto beans don't go very far. But a hundred pounds at Wally world is only $122. So for about $190 you'd have 18 pounds of meat, fifty pounds of corn and 100 pounds of beans/lentils.

I could live a while on pinto beans and spam. I would need some bacon fat and cornmeal for the cornbread. Not real sure about the lentils though...lol

Montana Rancher
12-07-2014, 03:25 AM
Thanks for the input both good and bad and I'll try and address them all

1. I live on less than 1200 calories a day, and have done it for years, and BTW I am 6'4 inches tall and about 190 pounds so I am not a small person. Also in that year you could be involved in foraging for fish, meat, plants, and add to the calories. Of course I am a bit aged so my activity goes down even though I still farm 40 acres. My point is 1200 calories a day for a year for $850 seems reasonable.

2. For those thinking "Wall Mart" will still be around to provide you with high carb "noodles" then just move over to the "Things will always be the same" post on another forum. As we are in the "Survival and Prepping" thread, please keep from relying on shopping at your favorite store.

3. All the "Costco" deals I post are delivered to your home, so you don't need to have one to get the deals I mentioned.

4. Rather than kill the messenger, lets hear your obvious alternative.

rwurbanwildlife
12-07-2014, 06:56 AM
For those wishing they had a costco nearby, these items aren't in any of the stores in GA, online only.

Sarge7402
12-07-2014, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the input both good and bad and I'll try and address them all

1. I live on less than 1200 calories a day, and have done it for years, and BTW I am 6'4 inches tall and about 190 pounds so I am not a small person. Also in that year you could be involved in foraging for fish, meat, plants, and add to the calories. Of course I am a bit aged so my activity goes down even though I still farm 40 acres. My point is 1200 calories a day for a year for $850 seems reasonable.

2. For those thinking "Wall Mart" will still be around to provide you with high carb "noodles" then just move over to the "Things will always be the same" post on another forum. As we are in the "Survival and Prepping" thread, please keep from relying on shopping at your favorite store.

3. All the "Costco" deals I post are delivered to your home, so you don't need to have one to get the deals I mentioned.

4. Rather than kill the messenger, lets hear your obvious alternative.

Montana: No I'm not suggesting that Wally world will be around after the shtf. However, for those stocking up now it seems that real meat would be preferable to TVP.

I'd love to be able to stock up on a year's supply of food, but it's just not going to happen. However three months for two people and a garden and 16 acres,

RWalls
12-07-2014, 09:45 PM
Lots of spam and canned chicken.

Montana Rancher
12-09-2014, 01:20 AM
Montana: No I'm not suggesting that Wally world will be around after the shtf. However, for those stocking up now it seems that real meat would be preferable to TVP.

I'd love to be able to stock up on a year's supply of food, but it's just not going to happen. However three months for two people and a garden and 16 acres,

Aye, real meat when you can get it, but when you can't?

http://theoutdoortradingpost.com/showthread.php?1348-Processing-some-Game&highlight=Montana+rancher+sausage