PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Sweet Corn

Broncosfan
07-05-2019, 02:07 PM
I seem to remember that we used to blanch the ear of corn and then put it in a cold water bath to cool in down quick before freezing. Today when looking online I didn't see where it talked about blanching the whole ear. They just said to shuck it and put in a freezer bag remove as much air as possible. So does any one blanch their whole ear sweet corn before freezing it?

Back Pack Hack
07-05-2019, 02:55 PM
That's all I've ever done. Blanch the whole ear, then cut the kernels off and off to the vac-sealer they go.

hawgrider
07-05-2019, 03:36 PM
We blanch the ears then ice water then cut the corn off the cob. For the 2 of us we do one cup in a ziplock freezer bag push the corn flat to get the air out and freeze. We have had it last 2 years without frezzer burn and still tastes great.

Broncosfan
07-05-2019, 04:03 PM
Thats what I read about it if cut off the cob but I was referring to leaving it on the cob

shootbrownelk
07-06-2019, 12:30 AM
We blanch the ears then ice water then cut the corn off the cob. For the 2 of us we do one cup in a ziplock freezer bag push the corn flat to get the air out and freeze. We have had it last 2 years without frezzer burn and still tastes great.

That's what I used to do. Blanch then cut off the kernels spread them out on a tray and freeze them. After they're frozen put them in a foodsaver bag and then you can suck out ALL the air. I pre freeze everything before I vac seal. Food then lasts forever it seems. No freezer burn after years in the freezer for some things I forgot about, still tasted great (moose meat) after all that time.

Inor
07-06-2019, 12:52 AM
I seem to remember that we used to blanch the ear of corn and then put it in a cold water bath to cool in down quick before freezing. Today when looking online I didn't see where it talked about blanching the whole ear. They just said to shuck it and put in a freezer bag remove as much air as possible. So does any one blanch their whole ear sweet corn before freezing it?

EVERY year, Mrs Inor just blanches the whole ear, ice water bath, then into the freezer. It works great. All winter and spring we have fresh tasting corn. That is the only way to go as far as I am concerned.

Deebo
07-06-2019, 09:41 AM
last year we did one "crate" of corn, I guess a bushel box?
We shucked it, pulled off the hair/silk and cut the big end square to fit five in a freezer bag.
We used it a lot during the fall, forgot about it for a while and yesterdays count I found about 3 bags left.
It tasted great on the grill, sweet and easy. No prep time. Just drop in on.
We just discussed if we were going to go with two boxes this year.
It does take up quit a bit of room, on the cob.