PDA

View Full Version : Something different. Interesting stove. Biolite camp stove

hawgrider
12-18-2014, 09:06 AM
I like this guys vids-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-anFZdKDrBk

omegabrock
12-18-2014, 09:38 AM
My internet is too slow to download the video...will have to set up computer to start downloading. Can you give a quick rundown while it downloads?

hawgrider
12-18-2014, 09:45 AM
It converts heat to DC voltage to charge your gadgets like smart phones and such. Its a camping item that you could cook and charge no battery's needed it makes its own juice off the wood you feed it.

omegabrock
12-18-2014, 09:50 AM
Oh that sounds pretty cool lol. Thanks. Still downloading

hawgrider
12-18-2014, 09:54 AM
Oh that sounds pretty cool lol. Thanks. Still downloadingI think it made its debut in 2012 but this is the first id seen it.

Pauls
12-18-2014, 08:58 PM
If it is like most pyroelectric generators it uses a bi-metalice plate to turn heat into electricity and that part is completely EMP proof but the voltage regulator is probably a microprocessor which would not survive the E1 pulse of a high altitude nuclear detonation. (HEMP)

hawgrider
12-18-2014, 09:01 PM
If it is like most pyroelectric generators it uses a bi-metalice plate to turn heat into electricity and that part is completely EMP proof but the voltage regulator is probably a microprocessor which would not survive the E1 pulse of a high altitude nuclear detonation. (HEMP)I think he says in the vid its not emp proof its pretty much geared for camping. Kinda neat though.

Pauls
12-18-2014, 09:03 PM
I think he says in the vid its not emp proof its pretty much geared for camping. Kinda neat though.

I agree! It might not be "the answer" to preppers but it is great if you have electric devices when camping.

hawgrider
12-18-2014, 09:15 PM
I agree! It might not be "the answer" to preppers but it is great if you have electric devices when camping. It would be kinda neat for my family's kind of camping we go deep into Huron National forest. No juice no Johns No RV lights dangling from awnings and best of all no people.

omegabrock
12-19-2014, 07:37 AM
May not be a prepper's be all end all but seems pretty legit to have, even for more than just camping

Prepared One
12-19-2014, 10:58 PM
I like this guys vids-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-anFZdKDrBk

I have seen this before hawg......already ordred it and on the way. Nice to see ya.

Arklatex
12-20-2014, 07:48 AM
Those are pretty neat. You can make these and similar with a thing called a peltier unit. It is a small thermoelectric generator that produces electricity via temperature variation. One side is hot, the other cold. The bigger the difference the more power you get. I am thinking about making one that sits on my woodstove to run a string of led lights. Might be a good idea for power outages.

Those little fans that sit on your woodstove and run with no batteries have a peltier in them.

Slippy
12-20-2014, 07:56 AM
I agree Ark, I've almost bought this little stove a few times. I think they are going to come out with a slightly larger stove and I'll wait for that one.

Arklatex
12-20-2014, 08:00 AM
Same here slip. The price turns me off though. Too much for what it is imo. The bigger is out though, it's called the base camp. But for 250-300 I'll pass on it too.

Slippy
12-20-2014, 08:05 AM
For $300 I'd rather buy another shotgun or lots of adult beverages. But it is a good idea. Thanks for posting Hawg!