PDA

View Full Version : Take in or turn away ?

hawgrider
12-18-2014, 12:04 PM
Where I currently live Im in the turn away camp. Close family only.

Survival Debate: Take In or Turn Away

One of the most basic questions survivalists and preppers wrestle with is what to do if unplanned guests turn up at your door in a SHTF situation. Do you take them in and divide your supplies or turn them away and protect your family?

http://survivalcache.com/survival-debate-take-in-turn-away/

Txwheels
12-18-2014, 12:10 PM
I have to say that in a SHTF situation, unless and until things settled down a great deal, I'm of a family only stance.

Just Sayin'
12-18-2014, 12:22 PM
I can't make that decision until the time comes that it has to be made.

If the SHTF and it is likely to last only a short time, I'd be more likely to share with or shelter someone. If it's long term, the fact that someone knows where I'm located is just plain trouble. I won't know if they are a scout for a larger group with intentions of raiding or someone who really does have a family to take care of, but either way it seriously affects our security. Which means I've got to move to a new location and that is risky too.

There isn't any one right answer to my way of thinking when the SHTF. If it's a local event like a tornado, ice storm, hurricane, etc. then yes, I'll do everything I can to help people out.

hawgrider
12-18-2014, 12:33 PM
I can't make that decision until the time comes that it has to be made.

If the SHTF and it is likely to last only a short time, I'd be more likely to share with or shelter someone. If it's long term, the fact that someone knows where I'm located is just plain trouble. I won't know if they are a scout for a larger group with intentions of raiding or someone who really does have a family to take care of, but either way it seriously affects our security. Which means I've got to move to a new location and that is risky too.

There isn't any one right answer to my way of thinking when the SHTF. If it's a local event like a tornado, ice storm, hurricane, etc. then yes, I'll do everything I can to help people out.Storms short term power outages from storms Ive been know to let the neighbors get water in the past. But after 20 years of those dipsticks not buying a generator and depending on mine Ive run out of that giving feeling. I know its not very neighboly but all the old folk are dead or moved to Florida so these new young whippers snappers in my hood are on there own. I don't even know who there are other than yep there goes that asshole.... uggg "Movin to the country soon gonna eat a lot of peaches"

MI.oldguy
12-18-2014, 12:37 PM
We dont have to worry,none of "our family" visits here anyway.their so fricken old I doubt they remember where we live,only about 5 miles away.

MrsInor
12-18-2014, 05:45 PM
Family first.

hawgrider
12-18-2014, 05:53 PM
People have changed round here. Its all cut throat push and shove thats on a normal day. Then you throw in a blackout for 3 days like when the northeastern grid went down a few years back lol it gets ugly fast when people cant access atm get gas and have nothing but a package of ramon noodles yeah..... good times!

Pauls
12-18-2014, 09:02 PM
Any time that long term OPSEC is necessary, it would be hard to know who would stay with you for the long haul. If you let someone leave the wrong people are going to know everything about you and your security.
That means that nobody leaves. Like the roach motel - you can come in and you can check out anytime you like but nobody leaves.

hawgrider
12-18-2014, 09:05 PM
Any time that long term OPSEC is necessary, it would be hard to know who would stay with you for the long haul. If you let someone leave the wrong people are going to know everything about you and your security.
That means that nobody leaves. Like the roach motel - you can come in and you can check out anytime you like but nobody leaves.Hotel California you can check in anytime like but you can never leave. Yeah good point!

RWalls
12-18-2014, 09:14 PM
I'm with JS, depends on the scenario, no hard and fast rule. Maybe if the person has something (skill or supply) that is required it would be ok to allow them to join, family first of course but it could get dicey.

MrsInor
12-18-2014, 10:46 PM
I figure if I already have the mindset of family first, it will help in keeping me from making impulsive decisions. Like when some parent sends his five year old up to the door.

It's not like you can practice this kind of stuff.

Montana Rancher
12-18-2014, 10:58 PM
My thought is give me a fair days work and I'll give you 3 hots and a cot.

In the winter this will be harder to do unless they are foraging for wood, but it is a good job. In the spring, summer and fall a there are a thousand jobs I could dole out (most of them farm labor) to make their keep.

My only point is, if you work and give me more labor than the cost of feeding you, your are golden.

Expanding on the post a bit..

If you need Gasoline, then bring me "X" amount per day for food and shelter.

Same for Medicine, Meat, Roots (i.e. foraged vegies), Blankets, Intelligence, Security, Spritual Guidance, or .....

A decent skill should help you make it if you live in an area with less than 15 people per square mile.

Notice I said "if"

jeff70
12-20-2014, 01:30 PM
Family always comes first, I hope I would be able to help others as well but that decision will be made when needed, I do know that if someone isnt willing to try and help themselves, or help me help them. they will be shown the door.

A J
12-20-2014, 01:41 PM
As others have said, it really depends on the reason SHTF, time of year and expected duration. In a long term situation, I'll need more security than just the immediate family to maintain security, if the neighbors all have banded together, then the decision would be a group decision. If everyone is on their own in the neighborhood, I'd need at least 3 more to maintain security. Of course if friends have already holed up here (when I say 'friend' I mean 'friend', not acquaintance) and we have security covered, then there will be very very little room at the Inn.

AJ

SquirrelBait
12-23-2014, 03:24 PM
Nope, It's me and the mutts. Of course if my OTP family were to show up... That'd be different. Any of you would be welcome at my fire.

Jeep
12-23-2014, 05:20 PM
No one for now is coming in, my stepson and his brood will not work to maintain their upkeep now. I would take a stranger in a wheelchair first.

OSFG
12-23-2014, 10:43 PM
I am by nature a helper, a giver, and a kind hearted person. It all depends on the situation and the people needing help. I won't make any decision before hand for fear that I would foster a cruel heartless approach when one is not necessitated. Yes my family comes first... but it's not always a matter of that being the issue.

Deebo
12-23-2014, 10:56 PM
Same boat here, but I may just move to Montana.....
I say, if I can afford to feed you, there's always work.
Like stated, it would depend, but security at my current location is minimal.
The next move will be to a house in the country, even further than now.

Inor
12-23-2014, 11:20 PM
As Mrs Inor stated, it is family first. By family, I (and I think we) mean blood family plus a few friends (including a few of you here) that we consider family. We do have some preps put away specifically for "give away" items. But once those are gone, if this is a long-term, no resupply situation, I am sorry.

pheniox17
12-23-2014, 11:28 PM
Pheniox is a fence sitter on this issue...

I will not help those that won't help themselves... Simple....

But I know there is a chance that "those that I help today may save my life tomorrow"

So I'm still undersided.... Therefore its a case by case situation

On another note I only prep for me and mine, and will continue to do for a long time

Bigdogbuc
12-23-2014, 11:32 PM
No one for now is coming in, my stepson and his brood will not work to maintain their upkeep now. I would take a stranger in a wheelchair first.

I have one of those just like that.

BucketBack
12-24-2014, 09:02 AM
We dont have to worry,none of "our family" visits here anyway.their so fricken old I doubt they remember where we live,only about 5 miles away.
Same here, but they're between 205 to 1500 miles away anyway.

longrider
12-27-2014, 03:00 PM
If someone sent a 5 year old to my door, that child is now mine. I would not send a child out to a family that would use it like that. That child is mine and will be absorbed into my family with open arms. The so-called parents will be sent on their way, empty handed for using a kid like that. They don't deserve a kid. I would not trust adults. Read the book "Into the woods" and you'll know what I mean.

There are a couple of older couples that will be brought with us. No, they won't be able to do hard labor. But They have been friends for quite some years. I won't leave them to the mercy of strangers. When I bring them their New Year's kolacky, we will discuss this. My Farmer Guy knows most people in the area, even if just by reputation. We will know the slackers and the actual doers. Or as my e-Dad says "the Doners and the Gonners". The donners do what they plan. The gonners are always stalled in the plan stage. They're gonna, gonna, gonna, but never do. Children up to age 12 are always welcome. The tweens and teens may be dangerous as spies. Again, it will help to have FG's knowledge of the locals.

Pauls
12-29-2014, 02:52 PM
Regardless of whether someone is let in, no one leaves. Once you let someone leave you are 90% more likely to be attacked. The attackers will know your security, your routines and your weaknesses.

It may seem hard and calloused but the safety of your family is at stake. I will kill without remorse to protect my family.

Jeep
12-29-2014, 09:08 PM
Waiting for the early birth of the 5th, grand child. i am not excited or worried. These two need to go get cut and get jobs.

rice paddy daddy
12-30-2014, 01:28 PM
Immediate family only - kids and grandkids. That's it.
We will help our immediate neighbors, a couple that is in their 70's. The others around here are country rednecks that are quite capable of taking care of themselves.
I would be willing to provide security for our back fence neighbor to help protect his cattle. For some meat, of course.

Sarge7402
12-30-2014, 04:04 PM
Question: your wife is a hundred miles from home when the SHTF and she's alone. Would you want someone to answer the door and help her?

longrider
12-30-2014, 07:50 PM
Well, if I had a wife, yes. But she is better off not knocking on the door in the first place, and making her way home herself. She is setting herself up for more trouble than she can handle, if she is just knocking on doors of strangers. I would not put my family in danger that way. You have to draw the line, and make sure that family is safe first. If I was her, I'd live on 2 year old acorns before I'd knock on a stranger's door.

I do understand what you're saying, Sare7402, but Safety of family comes first. Always.

rice paddy daddy
12-31-2014, 09:41 PM
If I was her, I'd live on 2 year old acorns before I'd knock on a stranger's door.

Absolutely !
Even in "normal" times there is an excess of sexual deviants and general wierdos, let alone in a crisis situation.

Jeep
01-05-2015, 08:55 PM
My wife knows to go to a hospital, she needs meds. That buys me time to get there.

James m
01-05-2015, 09:24 PM
I don't want to let anyone in. People always cause drama. Especially the entitled few, city, and people who can't do for themselves. I think they would expect you to take care of them and do nothing in return. "But you have all of these supplies" I have a heart and a conscience. In an extreme some things may be a ruse.

The actual answer is my aunt that lives north of here at a higher elevation. I would spend the summers and holidays up there. I always felt closer to her than my actual parents. It was always her job to spoil me, and my mom spoiled her son. Now she's getting older so.

Jeep
01-06-2015, 07:43 PM
There are always exceptions to the rule.

My good friends not far from me are a Farrier and a Vet student. Should something happen to him, she would be very valuable to me. I have no Horses so his profession isn't needed. But if it were him that showed up, he is an awesome farmhand.

Pauls
01-08-2015, 03:49 PM
Vets can also do surgery and other medical procedures - I think they make the best doctors because they actually diagnose a problem before trying to correct it with the latest pill from the "industry".
As far as a farrier - a good blacksmith is worth their weight in gold! If they can fit a horse shoe they can do a lot more!

Jeep
01-08-2015, 04:21 PM
This is true I didn't mean to dismiss him so easily, I was only looking at it from a shoeing angle.