PDA

View Full Version : Etiquette

omegabrock
12-19-2014, 07:58 AM
So we have chickens and our neighbor has a dog that likes to come over. I brought it to his attention that his dog got one of my chickens. He said he would look after her better and that she was a stray and just gets into things. I am an animal guy but I refuse to let my animals suffer because someone else can't keep theirs contained...next time he comes over, would I be out of line for shooting it or are there other etiquette procedures I need to follow?

1moretoy
12-19-2014, 08:05 AM
Don't know about that in OK but here will get you some free time in a small room with a couple of roomies.

Ginger
12-19-2014, 08:15 AM
Ummmmm, I think I would try some other things before killing another person's dog. That's horrible. You have all kinds of other option.

omegabrock
12-19-2014, 08:19 AM
Legally it's fine here, I would rather handle it the best way...I'm just saying that his dog isn't more important than my chickens

omegabrock
12-19-2014, 08:43 AM
I need a BB gun lol

MrsInor
12-19-2014, 08:58 AM
Catch the dog, put a muzzle on him and let the chickens "educate" him.

omegabrock
12-19-2014, 09:34 AM
Lol I was just talking to the wife about buying a few muzzles and every time he came over putting 1 on him and letting him go

Infidel
12-19-2014, 09:58 AM
I'd try animal control before I shot the neighbors dog. Here there's a leash law so the neighbor would be in the wrong for letting the dog wander anyway. I think the fine for violating the leash law might keep the neighbor in line. If he bitches about you calling them, just tell him it was a whole lot more humane than shooting the dog.

-Infidel

MI.oldguy
12-19-2014, 10:07 AM
Dont kill it,just a dog whos been ignored by some idiots.

omegabrock
12-19-2014, 10:28 AM
Infidel, no leash laws here. Out in the country it's basically a free for all. A lot of the neighbors have dogs that run wherever they want and most of them don't bother anything. This one messes with the horse and the part that I feel needs to be addressed, the chickens.

MI- you could be right. He said it was a stray when they took it in a few months back. I wouldn't kill it, was just heated when I made this post. I've calmed down since lol

Baglady
12-19-2014, 12:38 PM
Hey Omega! Been awhile. How's it going with your horse?
Here, if your loose dog is getting someones chickens, they will tell you, if they know who's dog it is.
You'll get that one chance to make it right, (most will re-imburse for any their dog killed)
Then, it's up to the chicken owner. Most will shoot the dog.
Seems that once the dog gets a taste for chicken, it's hard to break them from killing them.

omegabrock
12-19-2014, 03:08 PM
Oh the horse is doing* awesome. She knows when it's feed time and she does her little head shake dance lol. For the chickens, honestly I don't care to be reimbursed (yet) seeing as it was only 1, as long as it ends. I haven't seen it again since yesterday and I told the owners. He said they would keep a better eye on it and hopefully they do lol

Jeep
12-19-2014, 03:14 PM
Here you can kill it if you want. I caught one neighbors dog, brought it in the house and fed it Tabasco sauce, never seen it again here.

RWalls
12-19-2014, 03:19 PM
I would tell my neighbor "your dog killed one of my chickens, next time it's near my chicken coup I will shoot it in defense of my property".

Around here, any animal attacking your livestock can be put down on the spot no questions asked.

Not sure what kind of dog but if you killed my dog I would be upset, I like my dog so if you warned me I would heed warning.

Slippy
12-20-2014, 08:28 AM
Like Ginger says, plenty of options;
1) Next time dog comes over allow him to get in your truck, hotdogs help this process. Remove tags and collars and drop dog off at the Animal Control two counties away.
2) Buy a Pike and sever the dog's head, place Pike at end of driveway with sign that says "Stray Dogs Welcome".

PS Hey Omega! Hope you've been well.

James m
12-20-2014, 09:20 AM
Punch the dog in the face, then sell the dog to a hippie.

longrider
12-30-2014, 08:20 PM
Do you have a wrist rocket or a painball gun? Either will work, though I think the paintball gun hurts worse. Especially if the paint balls are old. I like Mrs Inor's solution. Too bad you don't have geese. They'd show the dog what's what.

Bigdogbuc
12-30-2014, 10:17 PM
I remember when I was a kid, back in Ohio, my uncle owned a small "hobby farm". He had chickens and my cousin Becky was always in the coop playing with them. She left the door open once and the dog got hold of one of the chickens. He beat that dog senseless with that chicken, then paddled my cousin. The next time it happened, he tossed the dog about 20 feet out of the coop, walked inside, grabbed the Flintlock he used for his International Competitions with his Muzzleloading Team and headed out the door.

In no hurry, he rested the butt of that rifle on his foot, poured powder down the barrel, patch and ball, rammed it home without ever taking his eyes off that dog, who sat and looked right back at him with a chicken in his mouth. That dog had wiped out nearly all of the chickens in the coop in a killing frenzy. That poor dog had no idea the gravity of the situation, nor the accuracy my uncle and that rifle possessed. He had many a medal from places like Switzerland and Spain hanging in his office to prove his prowess.

As my uncle primed the pan and pulled the lock back, he said "Alright you son of a bitch", and that dog took off like a shot as if somehow he knew these were his final seconds on Earth. My Uncle leveled that Flintlock, the pan ignited, the rifle barked and I swear to God in heaven, it was the only shot my Uncle ever missed. Now he was angry. My Uncle reloaded on the run in hot pursuit of that poor dog. My Aunt busted through the door yelling "No Bill! Don't shoot the dog!"

I watched my Uncle turn the corner and disappear into the barn, my Aunt at a dead sprint trying to catch him, dish towel in her hand. I heard the second shot from inside the barn. My Uncle walked out with his rifle cradled in one arm, walked past my aunt without saying a word, put his rifle in his office, went to the shed to get a shovel and headed back to the barn.

I asked my Uncle many, many years later, why he shot that dog. And he said "I should have shot him the first time. Once they get a taste for them, there isn't much else you can do to stop them."

I would simply tell your neighbor that while you would rather not have to deal with his dog, and you appreciate his efforts, but you can't tolerate any more of your chickens being killed by it and you'll do what you have to do to stop him.

Deebo
12-31-2014, 12:06 AM
One chance, one warning, second time, the dog would come up missing.
That's all I can say .

DerBiermeister
12-31-2014, 10:55 AM
Don't shoot the dog ............ shoot the owner

:sodaandpopcorn:

Bigdogbuc
12-31-2014, 01:59 PM
One chance, one warning, second time, the dog would come up missing.
That's all I can say .

You're kinda' scary sometimes Deebs'...I bet you have pre-dug holes all over the place huh? :eyebrows:

Arizona Infidel
12-31-2014, 04:02 PM
You told the owner. Next time the dog comes round shoot it.

bigwheel
12-31-2014, 07:44 PM
So we have chickens and our neighbor has a dog that likes to come over. I brought it to his attention that his dog got one of my chickens. He said he would look after her better and that she was a stray and just gets into things. I am an animal guy but I refuse to let my animals suffer because someone else can't keep theirs contained...next time he comes over, would I be out of line for shooting it or are there other etiquette procedures I need to follow?

Yes..forget that nonsense. Tell him how much are the chickens and tell him to be ready to pay up when the dog comes to call.

bigwheel
01-02-2015, 07:37 PM
Hey Omega! Been awhile. How's it going with your horse?
Here, if your loose dog is getting someones chickens, they will tell you, if they know who's dog it is.
You'll get that one chance to make it right, (most will re-imburse for any their dog killed)
Then, it's up to the chicken owner. Most will shoot the dog.
Seems that once the dog gets a taste for chicken, it's hard to break them from killing them.

There ya go. Back when I was real young skull full of mush I had a Jerman Jeppard mix who could and would kill em all. The dummy dog pulled off his collar on the way out of the pen one time. We made chicken payments for years on that deal.

Sparkyprep
01-03-2015, 02:11 PM
What ever happens, don't shoot the dog. It is not the dog's fault that he has a lazy owner. Also, there are far-reaching repercussions of making your neighbor your mortal enemy.

Jeep
01-03-2015, 04:16 PM
A lot of folks don't realize the value of a chicken. I pay between 2-4 dollars for a chick. Now I feed that bird for 4 years, she lays eggs for most of that time, say 80%. that is a 5-600 dollar loss to me, if she gets killed. Now multiply that by 70(most chickens I have had). thats a hefty bill. Then you have the cost of replacing them and the loss of egg production.

pheniox17
01-03-2015, 07:07 PM
Idk... If you don't deal with it soon it will become a expensive issue.

The correct action, owner of dog paid you compensation for loss of chook (or given you chook)

Owner of dog decides if dog worth being chained or sent away

Owner of dogs problem if dog returns to property, eats more chooks, and find dog + chooks heads on pikes @ his letterbox

Jeep
01-03-2015, 07:11 PM
Only one of my dogs bothers the chickens, but he is new and never seen one till recently. I won't kill him and I am not fond of animal cruelty, but he may get the boots if he does something wrong.

Deebo
01-04-2015, 05:26 AM
You're kinda' scary sometimes Deebs'...I bet you have pre-dug holes all over the place huh? :eyebrows:
For the dog, or the owner? Hummm.
A common practice here is to take the offending dog miles away, and drop off at a gas station. Leads to a lot of highway kills.
I have mixed emotions, being an old soft hearted guy, but, my dog is family, so I will turn the equation around, and say that if my dog killed said chicken, I would pay the neighbor and make Damn sure it didn't happen again, but hypothetical, becouse she is an indoor dog.

Sarge7402
01-04-2015, 09:52 AM
here in Virginia if a dog gets and kills a chicken, it's supposed to be put down - owner of the chicken or animal control. Something about once it kills a live chicken it can't be retrained.

omegabrock
01-04-2015, 09:58 AM
The going consensus around here seems to be that if a dog kills a chicken, the owners are notified. Either way, if the dog comes back it's at the discretion of the chicken owner to "handle" the dog...more or less "if the chicken owners wife is home, just scare it away and wait for it to come back when his wife is at work"

pheniox17
01-05-2015, 12:38 AM
The going consensus around here seems to be that if a dog kills a chicken, the owners are notified. Either way, if the dog comes back it's at the discretion of the chicken owner to "handle" the dog...more or less "if the chicken owners wife is home, just scare it away and wait for it to come back when his wife is at work"

Can see the distaste in it

But to simplify it....

Dog escapes owners yard
Dog attacks your livestock causing injury/death to livestock (chickens, goats, sheep, cows whatever)

So appropriate action??
As all dog owners know, dogs escape from time to time, and its a accepted risk with dog ownership

Dog owners (if any good) combine training + fences + other methods of choice to prevent from happening (kinda important)

So what's fair and proportionate in this??
Owner is informed, either accepts liability, offers payment or stock to replace loss
Or doesn't, be a ass... Becomes fair game

In theory possibility of 2nd time is low (owner dose responsible think, sees issue and fixes it like any normal person)

If the event happens again.. Well if a large period of time has lapsed then its forgotten about, most normal people will just repeat process.. (If owner is respectful and admits problem etc etc)

If owner is a ass...

What dog??

Note: there are so many that don't take responsibility for their actions... And will always blame... With things like how is it "my" problem...

So agreeing with most here, problematic dog = loss of income = do nothing diffrent than dealing with a dingo/feral dog/cat// snake... Shoot it

But the positive think first steep wasn't just shoot the offending animal, but deal with the owner first...
Most forums like this will already be loading their shot gun...

Baglady
01-06-2015, 12:36 AM
There ya go. Back when I was real young skull full of mush I had a Jerman Jeppard mix who could and would kill em all. The dummy dog pulled off his collar on the way out of the pen one time. We made chicken payments for years on that deal.
I've known people that would shoot thier OWN dog if a neighbor told them the dog had killed thier chickens...

Jeep
01-06-2015, 07:24 PM
Thats harsh, but I believe it.

Pauls
01-08-2015, 06:54 PM
I had a dog that loved to eat chickens... That is until he wore a dead chick around his neck for two weeks.

Funny - he lost his taste for chicken after that.

before that I tried everything including hot sauce - he thought that was a treat!