PDA

View Full Version : Bug Out Bags (My Christmas gifts)

Sockpuppet
12-19-2014, 09:38 AM
I have made up eight (8) BOBs to give away as Christmas gifts. The total cost was less than $50 per bag.

Of course, I've been shopping for such things for a while, catching sales/clearances/taking advantage of specials/etc.

Contents include within the bag:
Survival whistle/waterproof matches in the match holder/compass/mirror/flint
Emergency blanket
Emergency rain poncho
10 tea candles
Bandanna
(6) Granola energy bars
Leather work gloves
Notepad with pen and pencil
Insect repellent
Sun block
Flashlight with batteries
Multi tool
Hygiene kit with baby wipes, comb, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, floss, shampoo, soap, razor, and tissue
Duct tape
25 foot of Paracord
50 foot of bailing twine
Fire starter
(4) 6 oz Water packages
First aid kit with (1) 5x9, (4) 4x4s, (1) roll gauze, Motrin, Benadryl, Antibiotic ointment, tape, and band aids
Water filtration bottle
Toilet paper
Expandable emesis/elimination bags
$1.50 in quarters
Deck of playing cards

longrider
12-19-2014, 06:02 PM
We are on the same page. I'm making one for my Guy for Christmas. What made you put $1.50 in quarters? I mean, why that particular amount? Just curious. I tend to over-pack. I have to re-do my BOB again. Again. I pack more food. Rice, raisens, sugar, tea bags, a couple of dehydrated meals. Wool socks, extra pants and leggins for the winter, scrubs for summer. I have a hatchet, a hand wire-saw, bird chirp making thing that sounds enough like a bird to maybe (maybe) fool the bad guys. My son and I both have those. Fork & spoon, cooking set. Not boy scout but a nesting set that is lightweight. A can of chicken and 2 cans of vienna sausages. Tastes good in rice or by themselves. A fillet knife, knife/hatchet sharpener. My bag weighs way too much. I figure, after the first day, the supplies will start to dwindle and the weight will be lighter. A couple of bandanas, fishing kit, sewing kit, extra fising line for trip wires. I'm a "just in case" kinda girl. Always have been.

Sockpuppet
12-19-2014, 07:43 PM
Longrider.......

Making 8 BOBs for 8 people wasn't difficult, but I had to be generic in it construction for the very fact that everyone's tastes and requirements are different. This is a bare bones bag that the individual will have to choose and insert their clothing, food, and other needed items, dependent upon their unique fit and taste. As 5 of the people receiving this bag are female, I certainly didn't wish to choose their female hygiene products either.

$1.50 in quarters is change enough to make a phone call from a public telephone, purchase a feminine product, or a bottle of water from a vending machine. Not everyplace is set up to take paper or electronic payments.

longrider
12-20-2014, 12:42 AM
Thanks for clearing that up. I understand why you have the items you have, now. And the quarters. Hats off to you, for making so many of them. I'm just making one. And I know him very well. So know what he'll eat, what he absolutely won't. What our needs are for this area and climate. I think it's great, these gifts you're making. I am working at a hotel now. Pop or bottled water is $2.00 per. I know, highway robbery. You may want to increase the amount of quarters you carry. That's me, though. If one dollar is good, 5 is better...

Arklatex
12-20-2014, 07:40 AM
Sounds like a great starter bag. You might consider tossing in a small survival guide like the SAS into each kit. They are inexpensive and have lots of good info. Good job.

Prepared One
12-24-2014, 01:03 PM
Looks like a good start sock.

Sockpuppet
12-25-2014, 08:05 PM
not relevant........

Inor
12-25-2014, 08:29 PM
We gave our kids "survival buckets" for their cars for Christmas. They were actually a really big hit! The only thing we included that I did not see on your list is an old fashioned hand pencil sharpener - great for making tinder if you do not have any handy.

longrider
12-26-2014, 01:02 AM
What a great idea, Inor! It's on the list now, in the bags tomorrow.