PDA

View Full Version : A decent machete.

RWalls
10-04-2019, 09:15 AM
I keep getting these cheap ass machetes. Last was a Herber, lasted 3 days... flimsy as my ex new man. :biglaugh:

Anyone got a machete worth a shit?

KnuteFartne
10-04-2019, 09:18 AM
I got a SOG kukuri and like it quite a bit. Comes extremely sharp.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RWalls
10-04-2019, 09:20 AM
I got a SOG kukuri and like it quite a bit. Comes extremely sharp.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

A little short and I’m not a big fan of drop point machetes.

Gambit
10-04-2019, 09:31 AM
best machete I ever used was made from an old law mower blade
he ground down the rust sharping with the grinder / file
he taken a blow torch to it and dropped it in used motor oil
and taped the handle with hockey tape

that blade cost him chump change and if I recall less then a hours work

not seen Nat in a long time but that honky blade was about 8 years old last I seen it

Sparkyprep
10-08-2019, 05:47 PM
The Gerber Gator machete has not impressed me. Don't waste your money. The blade bends.

Mister Mills
10-09-2019, 02:01 PM
The Army issue machete is very good, and it will easily take a sharp edge. OK, I found it on Amazon, and it is made by Ontario Knife, and it costs about $23.
That company makes really good knives too. It is made of carbon steel, so don't torque it sideways, it will bend.
https://www.amazon.com/Ontario-Knife-1-18-Military-Machete/dp/B07S1YVL4W

Infidel
10-09-2019, 04:10 PM
I've got one I like quite a bit that I bought from PAX survival when they were doing the going out of business bit. Think I paid $5 for it and works great for the little bit that I use it (mostly clearing sumac from my property). Hasn't bent and takes a pretty good edge in about a minute with the 1x30" belt grinder. I think it's a Tramontia made in Brazil, Amazon has them for around $20. Mine is 10 series carbon steel (might be 1070 but don't remember) so it will rust if that's a concern. I don't use mine heavily so I'll throw that caveat out there.

-Infidel

MoreAmmoOK
10-09-2019, 08:52 PM
The Army issue machete is very good, and it will easily take a sharp edge. OK, I found it on Amazon, and it is made by Ontario Knife, and it costs about $23.
That company makes really good knives too. It is made of carbon steel, so don't torque it sideways, it will bend.
https://www.amazon.com/Ontario-Knife-1-18-Military-Machete/dp/B07S1YVL4W

+1 for Ontario Knife. I've got their G.I. machete, 14" butcher knife(brisket-watermelon knife), 7" cleaver, and sp-15 tactical. All of them take a good edge and hold it. Great U.S.A made products for a reasonable price. All made with high-carbon steel and will rust if not treated properly but they take and hold an edge better than stainless.
Proof to me that U.S.A. made can compete.

shootbrownelk
10-10-2019, 08:26 AM
The Gerber Gator machete has not impressed me. Don't waste your money. The blade bends.

My Gerber Gator is still resting in it's sheath under the back seat of my Tundra. Haven't used it for anything. I bought it at a Menards on clearance for like $6.00. I got it for Muslim head lopping retaliation, if we ever get to that point.

Mister Mills
10-10-2019, 01:18 PM
+1 for Ontario Knife. I've got their G.I. machete, 14" butcher knife(brisket-watermelon knife), 7" cleaver, and sp-15 tactical. All of them take a good edge and hold it. Great U.S.A made products for a reasonable price. All made with high-carbon steel and will rust if not treated properly but they take and hold an edge better than stainless.
Proof to me that U.S.A. made can compete.

Ontario makes excellent stuff, I have an Old Hickory boning knife that is very sharp. And I would not mind having one of their Air Force Survival knives.
It would be handy for my evening walks. I could just drop it into my front pocket and put a hurt on any thugs, that might try something.:spankin:

MoreAmmoOK
10-10-2019, 08:07 PM
Ontario makes excellent stuff, I have an Old Hickory boning knife that is very sharp. And I would not mind having one of their Air Force Survival knives.
It would be handy for my evening walks. I could just drop it into my front pocket and put a hurt on any thugs, that might try something.:spankin:

I'm amazed at the quality and price of their Old Hickory stuff.

Mister Mills
10-11-2019, 03:30 PM
I'm amazed at the quality and price of their Old Hickory stuff.

If only everything was that inexpensive, and made so well; but it isn't, and I don't know how they do it. Except that they refuse to lessen their standards.