PDA

View Full Version : Bug out fires

Admin1
12-20-2014, 12:58 PM
Ok let's just say SHTF and you decided it's time to bug out to your BOL. It's the middle of winter and cold, it makes sense to me to avoid making any kind of campfire.

Fires obviously give away your position from the light and smell. From the opsec point I think some warm clothes, a rocket stove and some handwarmers would be better idea for bugging out. That way you aren't captured and molested by butt pirates.

Inor
12-20-2014, 02:01 PM
I think you would be pretty hard pressed to survive too many nights in a Minnesota winter without some kind of a fire. But as you say, from an OPSEC perspective a wood fire would be a pretty bad idea. Probably the best bet would be an alcohol fire. However, denatured alcohol does not create enough vapor to light until it is about 50-60 degrees. I bought a cheap aluminum water bottle for my GHB and filled it with denatured alcohol. The plan is to put it inside my coat to absorb some body heat to warm it enough to light. Then burn it in a small pop can stove to heat water first, then rocks to keep warm. I think the low blue flame would be about the least noticeable and it does not give off any smoke or smell. So, that is my plan.

Sockpuppet
12-20-2014, 02:09 PM
This method comes to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ch8Wek0d-Q

Sparkyprep
12-20-2014, 02:10 PM
Well, I think that I would probably take the risk of building a fire, simply on odds. Let's say that by lighting a fire, you increase your odds of being seen. And, by being seen, you have increased your odds of being attacked, and injured, or killed. Without a fire, you have a 100% chance of freezing to death.

jeff70
12-20-2014, 03:55 PM
I think the benefits both physical and mental of a nice hot fire would in most cases outweigh the drawbacks. Plus with a nice fire I will be warm enough to accurately handle the AK sitting next to me :biggun:

OSFG
12-20-2014, 04:13 PM
It absolutely would have to do with the situation. If I was more afraid of getting caught by some folks over freezing I would not build, If freezing were the greater risk then I would buiid a specific fire in a specific location to minimize the signature and smoke/scent of it. Dakota fire hole comes to mind, but there are numerous option to reduce the risk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD3MJDrHbHc

Jerry D Young
12-22-2014, 05:26 PM
There are a few fire lays that I have used that reduce the signature to minimum. I have no problem with an 'open' fire in winter, unless under a direct, immediate threat.

Just my opinion.

Innkeeper
12-22-2014, 05:39 PM
I think I would have to run with the fire crew, though situation could dictate terms... I live on the 45th parallel so I am halfway between the equator and the north pole gets mighty cold up here in the winter. There are ways to help hide the fire from site, and if it is so cold you need a fire....most of the scum would be as apt to seek shelter and get warm themselves then still be out looking, besides that is what a fire watch is for.

hawgrider
12-22-2014, 05:53 PM
If you must build a fire use seasoned dry hardwoods for low smoke.

Pauls
12-29-2014, 06:27 PM
There are many ways to conceal a fire. If you have a cave the fire can be put near the back and almost undetectable. If you are out in the open then a deep pit with air tunnels (like a rocket stove) can keep it hidden from view. If you are in the woods then a fire can be hidden from view easily with a combination of using the forest around you and a pit or recess in the terrain. Building a fire into the leeward side of a hill and placing your lean-to in front of it will keep it hidden and keep you warm. Using the coals of a fire in a box can keep you warm for hours and there is no flame or much smoke if it is done properly.

In the end you will need a fire to keep warm and keep your spirits up so learn how to keep the fire out of view and the smoke to a minimum.

Jeep
12-29-2014, 09:21 PM
yeah -12 here tonight, if I had to leave I would find a place for a fire for 2. Screw the rest. You can get good heat without bonfires

Deebo
12-30-2014, 03:20 AM
Well, I think a fire won't be to big of a deal, when it does go crazy.
Just liken it to a interior house light, people can see you. You can't see them.
Of course, I could be wrong,
Depends on how crazy it gets....
Could be a boobytrap.

BucketBack
12-30-2014, 08:24 AM
If you must build a fire use seasoned dry hardwoods for low smoke.
Unlike my neighbors who are using rough sewn pine for their heat lately, in a Trailer.

omegabrock
12-30-2014, 12:14 PM
My comment was already covered.